PDA

View Full Version : Ranger AA Imbue Usefulness?

Iwinbyrollup
07-02-2011, 09:33 PM
I've started leveling an AA and am having a fun time with it. I've just hit level 9 though and that means a new AA Imbue. Which suddenly leaves me wondering what I should be using. Obviously, once I get Slayer arrows those pretty much top all, but in the meantime, should I just switch to the Acid arrows so long as I'm not needing to bypass Incorporeal miss chance or up against Acid-immune enemies? Likewise, once I get Explosive Arrows, should I just switch to those so long as I'm not fighting Fire-immune enemies?

It looks like the Force Burst is the second best after Slayer and the Terror arrows would be annoying as heck in a PUG so I'm probably avoiding those. But where do the others fit in, in terms of quality? I guess I never really thought about anything other than the endstate with this.

Morosy
07-02-2011, 09:48 PM
I've started leveling an AA and am having a fun time with it. I've just hit level 9 though and that means a new AA Imbue. Which suddenly leaves me wondering what I should be using. Obviously, once I get Slayer arrows those pretty much top all, but in the meantime, should I just switch to the Acid arrows so long as I'm not needing to bypass Incorporeal miss chance or up against Acid-immune enemies? Likewise, once I get Explosive Arrows, should I just switch to those so long as I'm not fighting Fire-immune enemies?

It looks like the Force Burst is the second best after Slayer and the Terror arrows would be annoying as heck in a PUG so I'm probably avoiding those. But where do the others fit in, in terms of quality? I guess I never really thought about anything other than the endstate with this.

Acid arrows always do the most damage since they do the normal acid and apply a fresh tick of the DoT. (at least back when I was AA, been a while)
If it takes acid damage, use them until you get slayer. (or when you don't need ghost touch of course)

LucidLTS
07-02-2011, 09:51 PM
When I saw the topic I thought the post was going to be a request for arrows you could shoot your hireling in the @$$ with when you are clicking a button demanding action of them and they stand there picking their noses :)

Sigh, my AA is only at the force arrows (do love them, though), but I'll watch this thread so I'm ready when I get the choice.

I still like the shoot the hireling thing.

NinjaCereal
07-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Force arrows: Like you said, good against incorporeal creatures. They don't really have much use other than this.

Acid arrows: Great for low to mid level quests. Useful most of the time, and imo they are better than explosive arrows since they don't need a 20 to do more than one hit of damage.

Explosive arrows. Good for creatures that acid doesn't work on, and for creatures with a fire weakness. These are nice in quests like The Enemy Within.

Force burst: The improved version of force arrows. While they are good for wraiths and such, these are also good for raid bosses where you may not want to use slayer arrows. They are far less likely to steal aggro and there isn't much immune to them.

Terror arrows: I agree, the only reason to get these is as a pre req for slayers.

Iwinbyrollup
07-02-2011, 10:03 PM
Sounds good. Just tested out the Acid Arrows and I'm liking the extra damage. It does seem odd that the damage would make them generally better than Explosive but even with the first tick you get on hit it already seems like that would come out ahead on average. Anyone know the damage on the Acid DoT effect and/or the Explosive vorpal effect? I'll probably play with the Explosive ones a bit as well just to see how the mechanism works, but that'll have to wait for a few levels.

I second the suggestion for an Imbue: Usefulness arrow type for shooting hirelings. Would that make them not stop to heal themselves in the middle of a trap?

Morosy
07-02-2011, 10:11 PM
Anyone know the damage on the Acid DoT effect and/or the Explosive vorpal effect?

Acid DoT I think does 2d6 acid damage every 2 seconds. Every hit you reapply the 2d6, so it's extra 2d6 per hit pretty much.

Explosive is just flaming burst. Which means 1d6 fire damage on every hit, but when you crit you will do 2d10 fire damage along with the 1d6.

bjlinden
07-02-2011, 10:25 PM
Haha!

When I saw the title of this thread, I assumed you were suggesting a new ability for AA's called "imbue usefulness," which would give their arrows the ability to make ranged combat not suck, or something. :p

Iwinbyrollup
07-02-2011, 10:36 PM
Haha!

When I saw the title of this thread, I assumed you were suggesting a new ability for AA's called "imbue usefulness," which would give their arrows the ability to make ranged combat not suck, or something. :p

:P

I knew someone sooner or later would suggest that I turn the Imbue: Usefulness arrow on myself. :D

Way I figure it, I wanted to make a ranger and already have one TWF melee with not enough feats (the pally), why make another? I have more than enough Strength for melee and have decent TWF weaponry to switch to when I want. It's all about variety.

licho
07-02-2011, 11:00 PM

Force and Force burst against incorporal or vulnureble for force.

Acid on the way to terror. Acid arros > burst one, since they have dots effect, the exeption are creature vulnurable for fire of course.

Another trick is that you dont have use returning arrows, if you have some of House D favour you can buy Deneith arrows +3, which score some more dps till you get your own +3.

Terror arrows are not bad or annoying, if the melee cant kill mob before it runs away in panic its not your fault.
Also vorpal is awesome ;-)

Morosy
07-02-2011, 11:19 PM
Force and Force burst against incorporal or vulnureble for force.

Acid on the way to terror. Acid arros > burst one, since they have dots effect, the exeption are creature vulnurable for fire of course.

Another trick is that you dont have use returning arrows, if you have some of House D favour you can buy Deneith arrows +3, which score some more dps till you get your own +3.

Terror arrows are not bad or annoying, if the melee cant kill mob before it runs away in panic its not your fault.
Also vorpal is awesome ;-)

Even if it takes double fire damage it still doesn't compare (Unless you need to suppress regen I suppose)

And in my previous post I think I said 2d6, it might be 2d4. Still better though.

Talon_Moonshadow
07-03-2011, 08:11 AM
And here I thought this was going to be another archer bashing thread. :cool:

Acid usually does the best damage. But you have to pay attention to see if a monster is resistant.

Very few things have any resistance to Force. (Golems are the only thing I can think of)

Fearsome can be quite useful as Crowd Control. But because no one likes to chase, they should only be used in special cases with a party.

Dispel
07-03-2011, 08:18 AM
Once you get Slayer Arrows the other imbues become quite meaningless.

Morosy
07-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Once you get Slayer Arrows the other imbues become quite meaningless.

Yes he is very much aware, and would like to know what to use until then.

Koshy11
07-03-2011, 12:20 PM
Terror arrow has its use. Of course when the mob doesn't save you get them running all over the place, that's why you combine them with paralyser bow.

When the mob does a successful save, it's the shaken that's quite good -2 on Attack rolls, Saving throws, Skill checks, and Ability checks.

And lets not forget the wail at a natural 20.

It is not meant for that's for sure.

Iwinbyrollup
07-03-2011, 02:53 PM
When the mob does a successful save, it's the shaken that's quite good -2 on Attack rolls, Saving throws, Skill checks, and Ability checks.

Actually, I was thinking about this and it would be pretty nice if combined with an Improved Cursespewing bow and Manyshot.