PDA

View Full Version : Arrow/Throwing Weapon Crafting

MaxwellEdison
07-01-2011, 02:13 PM
I've been thinking about the upcoming (hopefully) ranged pass and I started thinking about how arrows and non-returning missile weapons are currently handled/available. I think a way to make our own would be a very nice addition to the game. I don't think it would work well in the Cannith crafting system due to the disposable nature of ammunition and throwing weapons, but something like the trapmaking system could work very well for this.

A new device station would have to be added. I'd suggest one in the harbor, one in House D (Or Cannith if we ever get there), and one which could be added to an airship hookpoint.

The actual recipes are the interesting part, imo, and would consist of the base arrows, possibly material components (silver, cold iron, etc.), and finally magical effects.

Construction of base arrows might not be necessary if current non-magical arrows could be used, likewise the purchased cold iron or silver arrows. If not, then allow shafts to be purchased to be combined with the heads we would create at the device.
For non-returning throwing weapons, again I would prefer the non-magical vendor versions as a base.

Ingredients for the effects could use similar ingredients as both Cannith crafting (essences, collectibles, shard fragments) and trapmaking (scrolls), only hopefully in lesser amounts due to the amount often being used.

Being able to set a scalar quantity during crafting would also be a very nice addition. So if I want 5 stacks I just need input 5 and have the necessary mats.

I'd suggest stack size be dependant on the type of arrow being created. This allows for general purpose arrows (elemental/alignment dmg, DR breakers) with created stacks of say...100 (less for throwing weapons), bane arrows in stacks of 20, Slaying arrows (if allowed to be created at all) - 5, and trick ammo (more on this later) can only be made one at a time.

On to some recipes:

Elemental/Alignment and Burst damages - Function the same as what currently drops in game, 5 tiers of recipes for +1-5 enhancement bonus. Ingredients required similar to Cannith crafting with arcane essences used for enhancement bonuses.

Bane - Again similar but less than Cannith crafting recipes

Slaying - I think I'd rather have these remain drop only as constructing them might end up being too OP

Trick ammo! - These are the fun ones, imo. Combining a spell effect with missile similar to traps. These should probably require a feat (maybe Arcane Archer PrE if arrows only?), caster level, or minimum level to make. DC set at creation (users INT/WIS/CHA score?, extra material cost?, AA Tier?) and visible on examining the would be nice. A minimum level to use would also probably be a good idea.

A couple examples of these:

Charm - Self explanatory, charms like the spell. Can only be dismissed by the PC if they have the automatically granted feat
Otto's - Single target dance, maybe use sphere scrolls for an AoE version
Grease - It's a party buff
Blinding Flash - This one is tricky as there's no scroll for it AFIK. Maybe searing light instead? Basically just a flashbang arrow
Soundburst - AoE stun, keeping in the flashbang theme
Web - Geez these really were kinda self-explanatory weren't they

Adding a 'Bag of Tricks' type quiver to hold these kind of arrows would be awesome too, 20 stacks of 20 arrows each. Could really make AA's into the Green Arrow type character they (I) dreamed of on creation.

Well that's the basics of the idea, fire away (get it?!) with the reasons it's impossible/gamebreaking/overpowered/useless!

MaxwellEdison
07-01-2011, 02:23 PM
Ack, meant to put this in the Suggestions & Ideas forum. Is it possible to get it moved?

MaxwellEdison
07-02-2011, 07:47 PM
Self bump since the thread got moved (thanks!) and promptly buried. Anyone have any input?

Grenada
07-02-2011, 09:01 PM
The only reason i could see this as being used by players is if the stuff was returning. Otherwise, its a grind for a "one time use" and hence will only be used by those without the ability to get ammunition from another source.

ssgcmwatson
07-04-2011, 12:30 AM
Warning: Shameless self-promotion

A while back I proposed a Fletcher's Shop (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=3452471#post3452471) to address some issues along these lines. Basically a place that would sell arrows of various types and/or have some arrow crafting.

Interesting discussion ensued, and I can only hope Turbine was listening and thought about including something in the ranged pass.

red_cardinal
07-04-2011, 12:33 AM
Yes, that would be nice. Ranged combat didn't get much love for a long time.