PDA

View Full Version : Spell descriptions

Arctigis
07-01-2011, 09:07 AM
Dear Devs,

Now that we have Sorcerer Savant PRE lines, please make it clear in spell descriptions whether a spell
is capped at L20 and whether it is affected by increases to max. caster level.

e.g.

Chain Lightning lists 1D6 per. caster level (1D3 + 3). It's capped at L20 (and is affected by the +3MCL
from the PRE and +2 from ToD set). The L20 cap is not listed anywhere. See the description of Delayed
Blast Fireball for how this should be documented.

Niac's Biting Cold (and Eladar's Electric Surge) state 1D6 + 1 per caster level. No level cap is listed
yet empirical testing shows this is capped at L20 and is currently NOT affected by any increases
to maximum caster level granted by the Savant PRE. i.e. the spell description implies that a Water Savant
with Tier III of the PRE would be inflicting 1D6 + 26 points of damage per tick. This is not the case.

Some spells with a hard level cap in the description (e.g. Cone of Cold, Shocking Grasp) are unaffected
by the increase to max. caster level granted by the PRE.

Essentially I'd like to see accurate descriptions for what the spell does, whether it's capped or not and
whether the spell is affected by increases to max. caster level. At the moment there is a disparity across
the various elemental lines and it's not clear to me if these are bugs or WAI. Thanks.

baddax
07-01-2011, 09:35 AM
/signed.

Mr.Delightful
07-02-2011, 12:12 AM
/signed, lets hope they do this when they make metamagic use a per spell checkbox, and not the PITA toggles they are now.

soulaeon
07-02-2011, 09:38 AM
Not signed.
It is clear. For example, Lightning says "up to level 20" while Chain Lightning does not.

Arctigis
07-02-2011, 10:20 AM
Not signed.
It is clear. For example, Lightning says "up to level 20" while Chain Lightning does not.

Huh?

That's exactly what I am wanting to be addressed. Chain lightning is capped at L20
(like DBF) but the description does not state this.

soulaeon
07-02-2011, 10:25 AM
That's exactly what I am wanting to be addressed. Chain lightning is capped at L20
(like DBF) but the description does not state this.
It was never capped unless they changed that in Update 9.
There was a thread about the usefulness of some spells, and Chain Lightning was an example in more than one instance (along with Polar Ray) of spells that could exceed certain restrictions that other spells had.

Arctigis
07-02-2011, 10:47 AM
It was never capped unless they changed that in Update 9.
There was a thread about the usefulness of some spells, and Chain Lightning was an example in more than one instance (along with Polar Ray) of spells that could exceed certain restrictions that other spells had.

It's capped at 20. Air Savant Tier III increases that by 3 (from the +3 increase to max. caster level). It's
the same as DBF - apart form the description. This is the kind of confusion I am talking about...

Musouka
07-02-2011, 12:26 PM
It's capped at 20. Air Savant Tier III increases that by 3 (from the +3 increase to max. caster level). It's
the same as DBF - apart form the description. This is the kind of confusion I am talking about...

I see no problem with changing text descriptors. It doesn't take too much time out of development.

I would like to expand on this suggestion, and have the Devs give a complete description of the SLAs. Especially if the SLA has a save attached to it, allow us to see what the save is up to. Albeit once I hit level 20, I just look at any other spell of the same school to see what the DC is.

balancetraveller
11-10-2011, 01:05 AM
/signed
/bump