PDA

View Full Version : Walmart Prepaid Visa Gift Card

DocBenway
06-30-2011, 01:41 PM
I've heard these work for Turbine Point purchase but was curious if there was any snafu involved if they're gotten at a Canadian Walmart. I haven't seen any TP cards themselves at any store in Canada so wanted to ask before I go load one of these to buy 6900 points.
:p

Woody00
06-30-2011, 01:47 PM
I've heard these work for Turbine Point purchase but was curious if there was any snafu involved if they're gotten at a Canadian Walmart. I haven't seen any TP cards themselves at any store in Canada so wanted to ask before I go load one of these to buy 6900 points.
:p

I'm not in Canada but I have used a prepaid visa card for sub and TP purchase before. You generally have to wait about an hour after activating it to make any purchase( my experience when using them with turbine anyway). And if you come across any snafu the reps on the phone when I called were really helpful.

DoctorWhofan
06-30-2011, 01:49 PM
I think the hiccup for all prepaid CC's is the fact of the billing address. If they don't match up with what XYZ CC has, they don't work. I have never used them so not sure how they inform purchasers of the billing address, but I have heard many calling the company and getting it.

Not sure if that was any help, but I am trying.

joneb1999
06-30-2011, 01:52 PM
Im in the UK and my prepaid card works fine. Infact Im quite pleased with it.

KillEveryone
06-30-2011, 01:56 PM
I use the re-loadable pre-paid version. I think there may be a non-reloadable version but I'm not totally sure and with you being in Canada, you may have a few different laws.

They do work. You need to load the amount you want +1 dollar. Turbine checks your card to see if it is real. If you only load $50 and the point bundle is $49.99, Turbines system will check and reduce the amount you have on your card to $49 so you won't be able to purchase it.

If you want to purchase multiple point bundles from the same card, you need to add an extra dollar for each point bundle. So if you want 2 point bundles at $50, you need to load $102.

Turbine DOES refund that $1, but not at the point of purchase.

So....

A few things you should know about those Wal-Mart reloadable pre-paid Visa.

It costs $3 dollars to load, even on the permanent card.

You get a temporary card first.

You get a permanent card in the mail in about a week.

When they transfer your funds from the temporary card to your permanent card, they charge you $3 even if you just loaded that card and it hasn't been a month.

When a month goes by, even if you balance is $0, they charge you $3 for account maintenence fee. If you wait 10 months before loading any money onto that card, you will have to pay $30 to bring your account balance back up t $0.

I personally cancel my card each time I've used it and just get a new one each time.

IBCROOTBEER
06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
The wal-mart prepair cards DO work ... however, you must first call the hotline on the card to get it activated, and then wait for your new card to be mailed to you. It will have a new number on it, and that is the account number you can use to purchase TP points

Arnhelm
06-30-2011, 01:57 PM
I recall something about a $1 hold on the card when it's registered with Turbine, so be sure you have enough to cover the cost of the points and the hold amount, in US dollars.

MsEricka
06-30-2011, 02:20 PM
Prepaid cards

- Yes they do work, but they don't always work online. Sometimes you must call in your purchase.

- Your prepaid card MUST have an address associated with it. So make sure you register your card. After you register it can take some time for the card to be updated (30-60 minutes)

- As already noted, your prepaid card needs to have a balance higher than your points purchase by $1, so if you plan on buying the $19.99 points bundle then you'll need $21 on the card in US funds!

- Don't forget about the exchange rate. Even though the Canadian dollar is worth more than the US dollar right now, credit card companies don't care and do not give you a favorable exchange rate. Play it safe by making sure you have a few dollars more than your points purchase will take on your gift card.

Points cards

- Currently Turbine doesn't offer point cards in Canada. However we do have access to what is called the Ultimate Game Card (mac's and 7-11 sell them). The cards cost $20 and can be used for a month of ViP or as a turbine point card.

- If you use the UGC to go ViP you are charged about $18 on your card (at present exchange rates). They give you the rest of the balance as a credit. If you continue to use the UGC to buy ViP eventually you'll end up with a month where you don't need to buy a card.

CAUTION! The UGC costs $20 but will only net you 1200 DDO points ($0.016 per TP). This is a slightly more expensive way of buying points but it's possible if you're desperate for them. A better solution would be a $25 gift visa and buy the $19.99 pack of points ($0.0125 per TP). Use the few dollars leftover at 7-11 for a drink and a bag of chips :)

- If you are using the UGC for points you do not need to bother with the UGC website, just enter the code from the card right into the DDO store. If you are using the UGC to go ViP you must go through their site and get a code sent to your inbox

NOTE! If you are going ViP with a UGC you MAY not be upgraded to ViP automatically. Do not panic or freak out, this is a known issue and 30 seconds with Turbine on the phone will get you fixed up.

Warhulk
06-30-2011, 03:25 PM
I've always used the Visa prepaid gift cards. Turbine charges you a dollar for changing your card info and you can register the gift card online, just have to wait for them to update your info. It has only ever taken about an hour for the card to be usable.

DocBenway
06-30-2011, 04:24 PM
Thanks for the info folks. Just waiting out the post registration hour there now.