PDA

View Full Version : warforged duo - melee and repairbot

worthful
06-30-2011, 11:30 AM
I'm looking for a solid warforged duo. One melee who zergs, and person who damages things / keeps them alive. The current thought would be for an 18barb/2rogue and a 16wiz/2monk/2thief. 2 thief so the wiz can do traps, 2 monk because he's going to punch things, and wiz because he's going to repair and set things on fire.

I'm going to be the melee. It'd be awesome if I could take care of traps myself, but the only trapsmith type I can think of would be some ranger/thief combo, or a 12 ranger / 6 fighter / 2 thief build. That would work well, I belive, but I'd prefer to go THF instead of TWF if possible. Also, I'm not sure how well a 12/6/2 build can tank while zerging along vs an 18/2 build.

Anyway, any suggestions on what to do with the melee portion of this? I was also thinking about doing a THF melee wizard build but I wasn't sure how best to do that. It seems like making something like a 2 thief 6 ranger 12 wizard and using master's touch could save a feat....I'm not sure.

Here's the tl;dr version:

Making a WF duo with a friend. We need heals/traps and tank/dps. Currently looking at 18 barb / 2 rogue and 2 monk 2 rogue 16 wizard. Im open to any class combination as long as I am able to zerg and melee as the tank/dps. Paladin / sorc or barb/wiz or something else.

Suggestions? thanks in advance.

Bodic
06-30-2011, 11:33 AM
2 WF both can Heal and DPS

1: FvS either 20 or 18/2 w/monk
1: 20 Sorc or 18Wiz/2Rog

mws2970
06-30-2011, 11:41 AM

^ This is a very good combo. Imho, you don't need 2 who can do traps, just one.

Here is a real good build by sirgog for a FvS. http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=268346&highlight=soul+survivor.

worthful
06-30-2011, 01:16 PM
I didn't plan on doing anything with traps on the 18 barb / 2 rogue. The rogue was for evasion. So I do agree that only one trapsmith is necessary. I personally don't have FVS unlocked =\ (Why don't they give that to VIPs, by the way? stupid favor...) Otherwise I would have hopped on the FvS WF bandwagon, i've seen those melt face.

So thats why the wizard guy has thf sub. Any other suggestions? =\

worthful
07-01-2011, 11:34 AM
so I "came across" FVS the other night, so now the WF FVS build you posted is a possibility. I read from the post that it solos incredibly well, etc etc, but of course the post maker is going to say that. Also, he said make sure to take the resistance spells which have been made obsolete by ship buffs.

So back to the original question: 18fvs/2 monk paired with an 18wiz/2thief vs the same wiz/thief but an 18barb/2thief instead of the fvs/monk

The thought process is the 18fvs/2monk will be strongly able to solo, giving the duo the ability to divide and conquer. However, the barb/thief version will plow through mobs (at least I think) more quickly.

Anything I'm missing?

Indoran
07-01-2011, 11:40 AM
so I "came across" FVS the other night, so now the WF FVS build you posted is a possibility. I read from the post that it solos incredibly well, etc etc, but of course the post maker is going to say that. Also, he said make sure to take the resistance spells which have been made obsolete by ship buffs.

So back to the original question: 18fvs/2 monk paired with an 18wiz/2thief vs the same wiz/thief but an 18barb/2thief instead of the fvs/monk

The thought process is the 18fvs/2monk will be strongly able to solo, giving the duo the ability to divide and conquer. However, the barb/thief version will plow through mobs (at least I think) more quickly.

Anything I'm missing?

ALWAYS take the resistance spell. there is no excuse to not having them and remember ship buffs go when you die. Also if you join a raid and you are asked to resist the party... well how are you going to do it without it...

I would never mix fvs with monk because of fvs cap stone and because If I went WF fvs I would dump wis as much as possible.

Bodic
07-01-2011, 11:47 AM

Anything I'm missing?

My combo of 18/2's give you Evasion, Casting/Melee DPS, Self Healing , and 1 gets the Trap and Lock skills good for XP in certain quests that 15% is a ton.
If you build that FvS correctly it will plow thru Trash mobs combos of Blade Barrier, Holy smite, the PrE, and Cleave or basically just a 2hander. If built for it the WF Wiz can be competant with a Great sword also.

Chette
07-01-2011, 11:58 AM
I would never mix fvs with monk because of fvs cap stone and because If I went WF fvs I would dump wis as much as possible.

There are a lot of builds where two feats are much better than 10 dr. Especially with the new PrE and DoT, having maximize and empower on a melee FvS makes you a god.

worthful
07-01-2011, 12:39 PM
The soul survivor build has 6 wis, but does no offensive casting. I was thinking about going the same route, mainly being a melee build with the ability to keep myself alive but not really cast anything outside of blade barrier. I did, however, drop the con down to 16 and put a few points in to dex. Seemed like a fairly major flaw to have absolutely no saves, especially if you intend to melee.

Also: how useulf is UMD for this build, really? It seems a little useless.

eulogy098
07-01-2011, 12:39 PM
I had an enormous amount of fun leveling my WF 36 pt paladin teamed with a 2ro/18wiz. we decimated everything on elite just the two of us from all the way up to and including some of shavarath.

Can actually use Bladesworn every time its up too. Lay On Hands and Divine Might works while bladesworn (something a fvs cant do). Not that my buddies Reconstruct wasn't more then enough but theres always those OH-S$#T moments .

worthful
07-01-2011, 12:49 PM
I had an enormous amount of fun leveling my WF 36 pt paladin teamed with a 2ro/18wiz. we decimated everything on elite just the two of us from all the way up to and including some of shavarath.

Can actually use Bladesworn every time its up too. Lay On Hands and Divine Might works while bladesworn (something a fvs cant do). Not that my buddies Reconstruct wasn't more then enough but theres always those OH-S$#T moments .

I only have 32 points available, i'm not sitting on a toon ready to reinc. Paladin seems like a decent idea too though. Did you go sword/board or dps type/

eulogy098
07-01-2011, 01:08 PM
My exact build for that toon is :

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Lawful Good Warforged Male
(20 Paladin)
Hit Points: 382
Spell Points: 300
BAB: 20\20\25\30\30
Fortitude: 23
Reflex: 13
Will: 12

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(36 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 18 26
Dexterity 8 10
Constitution 14 18
Intelligence 8 10
Wisdom 6 8
Charisma 16 22

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+3 Tome of Strength used at level 11
+3 Tome of Constitution used at level 11
+4 Tome of Charisma used at level 19

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance -1 0
Bluff 3 6
Concentration 2 4
Diplomacy 3 6
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 3 6
Heal -2 -1
Hide -1 0
Intimidate 3 20
Jump 4 8
Listen -2 -1
Move Silently -1 0
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 0
Search -1 0
Spot -2 -1
Swim 4 8
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device 5 17

Level 1 (Paladin)
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Barbarian
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Monk
Feat: (Past Life) Past Life: Paladin
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 2 (Paladin)

Level 3 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 4 (Paladin)

Level 5 (Paladin)

Level 6 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 7 (Paladin)

Level 8 (Paladin)

Level 9 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 10 (Paladin)

Level 11 (Paladin)

Level 12 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting

Level 13 (Paladin)

Level 14 (Paladin)

Level 15 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting

Level 16 (Paladin)

Level 17 (Paladin)

Level 18 (Paladin)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting

Level 19 (Paladin)

Level 20 (Paladin)
Enhancement: Paladin Weapons of Good
Enhancement: Bladesworn Transformation
Enhancement: Follower of the Lord of Blades
Enhancement: Paladin Courage of Good I
Enhancement: Paladin Courage of Good II
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Righteousness I
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Sacrifice I
Enhancement: Paladin Exalted Smite I
Enhancement: Paladin Exalted Smite II
Enhancement: Paladin Exalted Smite III
Enhancement: Paladin Exalted Smite IV
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Lay on Hands II
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil I
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil II
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil III
Enhancement: Paladin Extra Smite Evil IV
Enhancement: Paladin Knight of the Chalice I
Enhancement: Paladin Knight of the Chalice II
Enhancement: Paladin Knight of the Chalice III
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Paladin Energy of the Templar I
Enhancement: Paladin Energy of the Templar II
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma I
Enhancement: Paladin Charisma II
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness I
Enhancement: Paladin Toughness II
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might I
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might II
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might III
Enhancement: Paladin Divine Might IV
Enhancement: Warforged Constitution I
Enhancement: Warforged Healer's Friend I
Enhancement: Warforged Power Attack I
Enhancement: Warforged Power Attack II
Enhancement: Warforged Power Attack III
Enhancement: Warforged Great Weapon Aptitude I

For a 32 point, +2 tome on variant i would do this-

16str all level ups here
8dex
16con
8int
6wis
16cha

18 str and 14 cha are also reasonable, but if you ever get a +4 cha tome you would want to LR to get Divine Might 4, its more dps then 2 more str without a doubt.

Taking Adamantine body at level 1 and swapping it to toughness around gianthold makes lowbie leveling really fun and easy.

The only +2 tomes you really need are CHA (for Divine Might 3) and STR (paladin to-hit bonuses arn't the best in game, so that extra 1 is helpful). +2 int is nice if you want to grab intimidate, even starting intimidate at level 7 you can still get enough to work on just about any trash in game (such as being the tod orthon intim-tank) although this build is generally ideally suited to be an outstanding sulu tank--- go ahead and bladesworn transormation your being repaired!

Twitch Fight until you have GTHF.

UMD is mostly just for cross alignment item usage, i dont go all out with items and whatnot. It's easy enough to do if yo ucare too, but mostly i just like using Racial or Chaos or whatever items.

Use a falchion. Ive had the discussion on forum and with friends. Even with the Lord of Blades +1 greatsword attack bonus, the crit range of Falchions benefit Divine Sacrifice and Exalted smite far too much to ignore (Divine Sacrifice is +1 crit multi, so any time your DS doesnt crit its like your only taking advantage of a small chunk of the attack)

Extend is really jsut so you can get away with using Madstone Boots. Zeal and Divine Favor are very short durration and using madestones without Extend can often leave you without these too absolute-must-maintain buffs. If your really careful and into super-micro-managment then go ahead and take somthing instead of extend. (note: extend does NOT work on Divine Might, but DM can be cast during Madstone and Bladesworn anyhow)

This build coupled with a 18wis2ro is just so much darn fun. you can easily take care of each other (he does the majority of the repairing and you have LOH and cure moderate for when you really need it). I do not exaggerated when i tell you that this characters first death was not until shroud part 4.

Don't build a min2. Use Holy sword (paladin spell, look it up) for your hard/elite fiend beater, build a lit2 falchion for everything else. And a double positive maul for skellies and liches (turn it triple but low priority)

GeneralDiomedes
07-01-2011, 01:34 PM

20 WF FvS (low WIS, high STR/CON) and 18 WF Wiz/2 Rog (high INT, CON, some STR) is what I dual box with. Very good combo, nearly done my first TR.

You have pretty much everything covered
Melee DPS - check
Divine buffs - check
Arcane buffs - check
Arcane AOE - check
Divine AOE - check, although low DC
DOT - check
Instakill - check
Traps - check
Self healing - check

svinja
07-02-2011, 09:56 AM
Seemed like a fairly major flaw to have absolutely no saves, especially if you intend to melee.

Also: how useulf is UMD for this build, really? It seems a little useless.

The soul survivor build does not have "absolutely no saves". It does not have excellent saves, but they are certainly not bad. 12 from favored soul, 3-5 from resistance, 4 from holy aura, 2 from recitation and 4 from GH clickie is already 25-27 in every save before stat modifiers. This is without ship buffs or stuff like haste, dex item, swap in +10 reflex docent... Even just 27 reflex will be about 50% or more saves on the highest DC spells out there, and much better than 50% in general. And you can always increase it if it's needed.

UMD is excellent, it allows you to use fire shield and teleport.

worthful
07-05-2011, 11:34 AM
Those are all decent spells to have but when you're only level 5 they're all pretty much not there. I understand that at lower levels saves aren't *as* necessary, but I still lose to a lot of spells. My main concern with the soul survivor build is still the fact that I get hit really hard and really often and I don't have the HP to make up for it yet. I don't know when / if I will at that rate without some really nice gear later.

Any feedback on doing a fighter/wizard build? probably 2/18? Or better yet, any advice on how to not get destroyed on the soul survivor build? Perhaps take adamantine body?

svinja
07-05-2011, 02:51 PM
I never took adamantine body and while levelling I usually felt like I was by far the toughest character in a group, to such an extent that I felt grouping was pointless in most cases. Not sure how you're getting destroyed. I was using the blademark's docent, that might have helped a bit.

You don't really need saves on a WF FVS at low levels. You might as well be immune to spells on anything but elite. The by far most dangerous low level spell is hold which WF are immune to. Resist energy and nightshield prevent almost all spell damage at level 5 except on elite difficulty. You are not getting destroyed because you have low saves. Or because a WF FVS is otherwise squishy, it's not squishy in any way at any level in my experience.