PDA

View Full Version : Arcane familiars?

Blackheartox
06-29-2011, 06:18 PM
I wonder why ddo-s arcanes dont have familiars?
Like they had in baldurs gate, newerwinter or similiar games.
Would it be fun to add them & only for arcanes? Not a pet thing like other mmos have, something like a couple of familiars you can chose from a list & that they dont count as summons. (you can have a summon & 1 familar at the same time).

articwarrior
06-29-2011, 06:31 PM
I wonder why ddo-s arcanes dont have familiars?
Like they had in baldurs gate, newerwinter or similiar games.
Would it be fun to add them & only for arcanes? Not a pet thing like other mmos have, something like a couple of familiars you can chose from a list & that they dont count as summons. (you can have a summon & 1 familar at the same time).

you mean a hireling? :)

kmau
06-29-2011, 06:31 PM
With -1 permanent con loss if the familiar dies?

The devs seem to be able to put an archon on a FvS's shoulder, so maybe.. no wait a minute, every spellcaster would have a rabbit/squirrel/cat on his shoulder...

soulaeon
06-29-2011, 06:38 PM
They were going to do some kind of Augment Summoning with the savants, but decided not to. A familar could be similar to summoned monsters, but more like an ability with some kind of mutual buff.
This is a good idea.

Vellrad
06-29-2011, 06:55 PM
With -1 permanent con loss if the familiar dies?

That was in 2nd ed, in 3rd u lost some XP.
Many players want XP penatly back...
:D

The devs seem to be able to put an archon on a FvS's shoulder, so maybe.. no wait a minute, every spellcaster would have a rabbit/squirrel/cat on his shoulder...

PLZPLZPLZ!
:D

Xenostrata
06-29-2011, 07:09 PM
Just make sure to NOT take the pnp buffs for the familiar list. As cool as having a pet would be, it would be a pretty pointless mechanic if all my sorc got was +3 listen.

Also, if they do implement this, Turbine NEEDS to make them COMPLETELY BALANCED with each other. The only thing worse than not having any familiars would be having everyone with the same familiar.

Enoach
06-29-2011, 07:17 PM

Nothing as mundane as that, give me a pseudodragon or homunculus

Aashrym
06-29-2011, 07:23 PM
Nothing as mundane as that, give me a pseudodragon or homunculus

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AOfbnGkuGc

dodger72
06-29-2011, 07:39 PM
Imps, quasits....

Dispel
06-29-2011, 09:16 PM
I'd love to summon a familiar with Evasion, if my toon didn't have it, and take control of it and walk it through a trap or something. This is a great idea, /signed.

parowan
06-29-2011, 10:01 PM

One question: will the squirrel be able to shoot laser beams? If so, sign me up!

Seriously, I'd love familiars. Sure there'd be a lot to work out and balance. And the city vs. dungeon zone thing might be problematic. But if they're working on druids and find a way for them to have furry woodland creatures for friends (we all know why druids really keep them around) then they had better have a way for my wizzie to have a cat curling around her legs and my sorc to have an imp on his shoulder.

/signed

Grenada
06-29-2011, 10:11 PM
no wait a minute, every spellcaster would have a rabbit/squirrel/cat on his shoulder...

definitely with the rabbit on this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XcxKIJTb3Hg

Rian
06-29-2011, 10:23 PM
Ranger animal companions first :p
Everyone except rangers are loved

however, familiars are cool too.

animal companions + familiars = /SIGNED!

and by animal companions, I don't mean those waste of a spell slot summons :mad: