PDA

View Full Version : Divine fire dot

HarveyMilk
06-29-2011, 11:11 AM
Arcanes get cold, elec and acid dots.

Divines get 1 dot. Divine punishment is excellent, but juggling two dots is much more fun.

Divine fire is completely under-utilized and will stay that way. Fire immunities mean this dot will not be a game changer in more fights. But, it would be fun.

Please, give divines a fire dot. And, please, call it Divine Immolation. A USEFUL DI. That is all.

Phidius
06-29-2011, 11:30 AM
Arcanes get cold, elec and acid dots.

Divines get 1 dot. Divine punishment is excellent, but juggling two dots is much more fun.

I'm wondering why playing an arcane is not a valid solution to this dilemna. This sounds suspiciously like merging arcane and divine magic. Why not, for example, also ask for arcanes to be able to cast healing spells?

Silverwren
06-29-2011, 11:33 AM
. <<<<<One dot, and it's all yours.

What's a dot?

Krago
06-29-2011, 11:38 AM
I'm wondering why playing an arcane is not a valid solution to this dilemna. This sounds suspiciously like merging arcane and divine magic. Why not, for example, also ask for arcanes to be able to cast healing spells?

Reconstruct not enough?

I am not seeing the underlying suspicion you have. Asking that a divine caster have offensive casting ability does not necisitate it only belong to Arcane casters.

Angelus_dead
06-29-2011, 11:40 AM
And do you have a justification for why Clerics should EASILY get way way more boss DPS than they have now?

Or are you suggesting that Divine Punishment be nerfed in preparation for them getting a new spell?

voodoogroves
06-29-2011, 11:41 AM
I'd rather they get the original DoT ... Spiritual Weapon.

Bargol
06-29-2011, 11:43 AM
What about bards.....bards don't have any dots. Also I was unaware that there was an acid dot? Didn't see it on my sorc, but arcanes do get cold and electric dots.

QuantumFX
06-29-2011, 11:47 AM
Also I was unaware that there was an acid dot?

Melfs Acid Arrow and Burning Blood are both acid DoTs.

I'd rather they get the original DoT ... Spiritual Weapon.

I was going to make a joke about making a blade barrier type DoT and using the annoying @$$ shavarath blade animations. But, now I think that would be pretty cool ala Flaming sphere.

HarveyMilk
06-29-2011, 12:04 PM
And do you have a justification for why Clerics should EASILY get way way more boss DPS than they have now?

Or are you suggesting that Divine Punishment be nerfed in preparation for them getting a new spell?

A_D, all important bosses are immune to fire. If they weren't, they'd be roasting in firewalls every raid.

And, although this is completely off topic, I have stated previously that a wisdom-based save for half on DP would balance out caster FvS dps from WF LotB running around with esos. Although figuring that save out (will save?) would be difficult, it's something I'm willing to explore.

All that aside, a divine fire dot, single target, would reinvigorate divine fire, which is supposed to be an important part of divine offensive magic, and is basically non-existent here.

HarveyMilk
06-29-2011, 12:11 PM
What about bards.....bards don't have any dots. Also I was unaware that there was an acid dot? Didn't see it on my sorc, but arcanes do get cold and electric dots.

Again, off topic, however, I would love to see an active bard stance, which consumes a song use when activating, that does a sonic AoE dot. A Song of Sonic Harm. Movement or activating another ability cancels it, but as long as a bard just sits there (/pikes =D) the song will do AoE sonic dmg, and some kind of team buff, like +10 stacking sonic resistance. Would be pretty darn fun. Park and play.

justagame
06-29-2011, 12:15 PM
A_D, all important bosses are immune to fire. If they weren't, they'd be roasting in firewalls every raid.

And, although this is completely off topic, I have stated previously that a wisdom-based save for half on DP would balance out caster FvS dps from WF LotB running around with esos. Although figuring that save out (will save?) would be difficult, it's something I'm willing to explore.

All that aside, a divine fire dot, single target, would reinvigorate divine fire, which is supposed to be an important part of divine offensive magic, and is basically non-existent here.

I really disagree here. There are already a couple of fire spells. Trading away half damage on the only divine DOT spell, for another one that many mobs will be immune to, is NOT an improvement. And yes, it will be trading away half damage -- since it's best used on bosses, when it comes to endgame bosses, even the divines who didn't dump wisdom will get hurt by this, not just WF melees.

HarveyMilk
06-29-2011, 12:18 PM
With all the important bosses immune to fire, I don't see why we can't leave DP as is and add a divine fire dot. All I said is I'm willing to explore the idea of adding a save for half to DP. I don't think it's required.

Dispel
06-29-2011, 12:27 PM
NO BECAUSE...

Divine Punishment is UNTYPED and can do a lot more because of the type of enemies you'll be DP'ing.

Arraetrikos gets messed up with Divine Punishment.

Try light-speccing and using Greater Arcane Lore with a Xachosian Eardweller, then tell me you need another DoT spell.

muffinlad
06-29-2011, 12:53 PM
Again, off topic, however, I would love to see an active bard stance, which consumes a song use when activating, that does a sonic AoE dot. A Song of Sonic Harm. Movement or activating another ability cancels it, but as long as a bard just sits there (/pikes =D) the song will do AoE sonic dmg, and some kind of team buff, like +10 stacking sonic resistance. Would be pretty darn fun. Park and play.

At first, I thought that said "A song of Sonic Ham"....which means it is time for lunch.

A mild AoE DoT is an interesting idea.

Regs,

muffinsoundofmusic

Bargol
06-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Melfs Acid Arrow and Burning Blood are both acid DoTs.

Ah...I see. I thought you meant new spells added in update 9.

DP is an awsome dot. Nerfing it would be bad. Adding a fire dot for clerics/fvs....meh...wouldn't a "good" dot make more sense since divine casters weild good magic?

Rather see dots for all casting classes first though.

HarveyMilk
06-30-2011, 06:30 PM
NO BECAUSE...

Divine Punishment is UNTYPED and can do a lot more because of the type of enemies you'll be DP'ing.

Arraetrikos gets messed up with Divine Punishment.

Try light-speccing and using Greater Arcane Lore with a Xachosian Eardweller, then tell me you need another DoT spell.

I already do this on my fvs. And yes, it is glorious. And a fire dot would have no effect on arraetrikos.

But a fire dot would be fun. Fvs gets buffs to fire spells with the PrE, but has no fire spells worth using. A fire dot would be a fun addition. Heck, make it 25 seconds, smaller ticks, but more of them. Make it function different from DP. Give it a small, half or quarter dmg AoE per tick. Idc, just make it balanced, and fun. I hate seeing buffs to light (yay DP) untyped (yay BB) and fire (uh what, divines don't have fire?!?).