PDA

View Full Version : Please increase the quality of cave dungeon design

IanYang
06-28-2011, 06:49 AM
Walking around in those "cave" type dungeons and checking everything, you might have the same feeling as I have: these dungeons looks pretty bad and the visual design aren't very high-quality.

Taking the dungeon of In the Demon's Den for example, looking at the wall, the ground, everything in there looks so ugly. Nothing new, and even the boss is the demon queen's model. Developers seemed to design this dungeon in a slipshod and rough way.

Today when I was doing Into the Deep, I had the same feeling.

I remember there is a game called Dungeon Siege. Everything in that game were designed high-quality. So developers, if you lack of inspiration to create appealing dungeons, why not taking a look at some other games?

DDO has good story line, but the quality of dungeon visual design really need to be improved.

Vellrad
06-28-2011, 07:03 AM
I can't say that boss of 'In the deamons den' looks the same like demon queen.
Lailath is quite pretty (for six handed chick with slimy tail, of course), while marilith from demon den looks uglier, less majestic (well not majestic at all) and torn up.

Kmnh
06-28-2011, 07:05 AM
In The Demon's Den was created more as a challenge to the crazier people than as a dungeon to be ran regularly. It's "proof is in the poison" for high level characters. It is a really cool quest on hard and elite.

I don't think many people have elite completions there :)

ProdigalGuru
06-28-2011, 07:11 AM
I disagree.

I think they do a heck of a job.

IanYang
06-28-2011, 07:14 AM
In The Demon's Den was created more as a challenge to the crazier people than as a dungeon to be ran regularly. It's "proof is in the poison" for high level characters. It is a really cool quest on hard and elite.

I don't think many people have elite completions there :)
I'm sorry for not explaining it clearly. What I mean is "visual" design. I had edited the OP.

ProdigalGuru
06-28-2011, 07:19 AM
Try some Amrath quests. The entire zone is amazing.

It makes me really depressed, but I think that just means the design is working.

Also, almost everything else in the IQ is pretty visually stunning.

The design of Reaver's Reach is nothing to sneeze at, either.

I don't get where you are coming from, bashing the visual design.

skullzz
06-28-2011, 07:19 AM
In most caves there are not lights. However, since we don't have torches they add room lighting. This shows the ugliness of dirt/stone. I feel that they are doing a good job with caves. Maybe they need to add different colors, but dirt is dirt and it is ugly.
I like Rainbow in the Dark because you need to provide your own light source (scepter provided) or by summoning something. This is how all caves should be.

shores11
06-28-2011, 07:24 AM
Walking around in those "cave" type dungeons and checking everything, you might have the same feeling as I have: these dungeons looks pretty bad and the visual design aren't very high-quality.

Taking the dungeon of In the Demon's Den for example, looking at the wall, the ground, everything in there looks so ugly. Nothing new, and even the boss is the demon queen's model. Developers seemed to design this dungeon in a slipshod and rough way.

I remember there is a game called Dungeon Siege. Everything in that game were designed high-quality. So developers, if you lack of inspiration to create appealing dungeons, why not taking a look at some other games?

DDO has good story line, but the quality of dungeon visual design really need to be improved.

I also could not disagree more. The visual design of the game far exceeds most anything I have played MMO or otherwise. Yes I played Dungeon Siege as well and liked it in part the visual was great in that game but DDO has nothing to hang their head about.

Have you seen the dungeon in the newest mod 10 series. Very nice it is padiwon...

Bodic
06-28-2011, 07:26 AM

Caves are caves not pretty structures for you to walk thru.
I can say it has good details in my settings it looks like a CAVE.
and you really want to compare DDO and Dungeon Siege

IanYang
06-28-2011, 07:35 AM
Try some Amrath quests. The entire zone is amazing.

It makes me really depressed, but I think that just means the design is working.

Also, almost everything else in the IQ is pretty visually stunning.

The design of Reaver's Reach is nothing to sneeze at, either.

I don't get where you are coming from, bashing the visual design.
I am mainly focusing on cave dungeons, such as Into the Deep, In the Demon's Den, and Undermine, etc... But those quests you are talking about are not caves.

IanYang
06-28-2011, 07:42 AM
Have you seen the dungeon in the newest mod 10 series. Very nice it is padiwon...
I am premium account and haven't bought the two new packs. I only have one lvl 20 toon so I will try them after I TR.

When the Red Fens was about to coming out, developers said we can fight whole new monsters. But after I try the pack, I was disappointed. The "new monster" the devs were talking about seem to be the plant monsters, but I don't think they are new because they use the trolls' model.

I hope the two new packs won't disappoint me again.

Memnir
06-28-2011, 07:49 AM
I think the visual design is one of this game's strongest assets. Are there some that are not total eye-candied masterpieces - sure. But, they all look good imho. I mean... these are caves. Caves are not the most abundantly exciting environments ever. However, I think that even the "cave" quests look great - Acid Wit is a good example of this.

/disagree

IanYang
06-28-2011, 07:50 AM
Caves are caves not pretty structures for you to walk thru.
I can say it has good details in my settings it looks like a CAVE.
and you really want to compare DDO and Dungeon Siege
Not actually want to compare DDO with dungeon siege. But because that game has high-quality visual design so I mentioned it. Dungeon Siege has quality visual design but don't have a good story line, this probably is the reason it aren't so popular as DDO. And DDO has good story lines but quality visual designs and background musics are what it lacks of, imo.

Also, there are many ridiculous things such as repeatedly used NPC animations and dungeon models in DDO which you surely won't see in other rpg games.

I pointed these flaws out not because I don't like this game. I like this game so I hope developers can improve this game.