PDA

View Full Version : Favored Soul seeking feedback ...

NovaNZ
06-27-2011, 05:18 AM
Dwarf!

Heals, BB, DP, great axe for some DPS. Open to any ideas to improve potential build.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 03.09.02
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Neutral Good Dwarf Male
(20 Favored Soul)
Hit Points: 342
Spell Points: 1951
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 17
Reflex: 12
Will: 17

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(32 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 23
Dexterity 8 10
Constitution 16 20
Intelligence 8 10
Wisdom 16 20
Charisma 12 18

Tomes Used
+2 Tome of Strength used at level 7
+2 Tome of Dexterity used at level 7
+2 Tome of Constitution used at level 7
+2 Tome of Intelligence used at level 7
+2 Tome of Wisdom used at level 7
+2 Tome of Charisma used at level 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance -1 7
Bluff 1 4
Concentration 7 28
Diplomacy 1 6
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 1 4
Heal 3 7
Hide -1 0
Intimidate 1 4
Jump 3 13
Listen 3 5
Move Silently -1 0
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair -1 0
Search -1 2
Spot 3 5
Swim 3 6
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Deity) Favored by the Sovereign Host
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Favored Soul Smiting I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Energy of the Scion I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Toughness I

Level 2 (Favored Soul)
Enhancement: Favored Soul Attack Boost I
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Wand and Scroll Mastery I

Level 3 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I

Level 4 (Favored Soul)
Enhancement: Favored Soul Smiting II
Enhancement: Favored Soul Charisma I

Level 5 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Acid
Enhancement: Favored Soul Energy of the Scion II
Enhancement: Favored Soul Wand and Scroll Mastery II

Level 6 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Greataxe
Enhancement: Favored Soul Angel of Vengeance I

Level 7 (Favored Soul)
Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic II

Level 8 (Favored Soul)
Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty
Enhancement: Favored Soul Wand and Scroll Mastery III

Level 9 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Favored Soul Energy of the Scion III

Level 10 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Sonic
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic III

Level 11 (Favored Soul)
Enhancement: Favored Soul Saves Boost I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Smiting III

Level 12 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Favored Soul Angel of Vengeance II
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II

Level 13 (Favored Soul)
Enhancement: Favored Soul Wisdom I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Toughness II

Level 14 (Favored Soul)
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution II

Level 15 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Favored Soul Bonus) Energy Resistance: Electricity
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Attack II

Level 16 (Favored Soul)
Enhancement: Favored Soul Charisma II

Level 17 (Favored Soul)
Enhancement: Favored Soul Wisdom II

Level 18 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Enhancement: Favored Soul Life Magic IV

Level 19 (Favored Soul)
Enhancement: Favored Soul Attack Boost II
Enhancement: Favored Soul Saves Boost II

Level 20 (Favored Soul)
Feat: (Deity) Favored Soul Damage Reduction: Silver
Enhancement: Favored Soul Damage Boost I
Enhancement: Favored Soul Ascendency: Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I

GenPurpose
06-27-2011, 10:53 AM
Actually that doesn't look too bad. So many people post builds for this sort of thing that skip the proficiency in their martial weapon of choice and still think they'll have no problem with to-hit bonus in epics.
I might make a couple of minor adjustments for my purposes, but for the most part it looks alright.
E.g. I would wait a bit on taking maximize. Having that at lvl 3 will have you using that on deific vengeance and cure light/moderate wounds. You'll blow through your sp pretty fast for not that much benefit considering how few sp those spells cost in their own right. I would probably wait until at least lvl 6 (for the AoV prestige) to pick that up and perhaps take something else like greataxe proficiency at 3.

I know it's dull but empower heal really is a staple for anyone that intends to keep a party alive in raids and other tough content. Of the feats that you have i guess would drop the weapon focus: slashing for empower heal. The boost from the WF:slash is nice and all but you will be expected to keep others alive as well and it will be more difficult if your mass cures/mass heal can't do the job.

Inherent energy resistances in acid, electric and sonic are a bit unusual. I think the standard choices for those are fire, electric, and cold. I can do without cold just fine personally. The only place i tended to take a lot of cold damage was tod part 2, but that was back in the day when casters would be kiting the shadow fiends around the room and would occasionally die. Now more and more casters just have some cold absorb items and tank them with little or no danger to anyone else. Fire and electric on the other hand are really nice to have in lots of places like evon6, abbot, etc etc. I can count on one hand the number of places where one is likely to take life-threateningly large amounts of damage from sonic or acid, so I usually prefer to skip those and stick to resist energy/ship buffs. 30 point sonic resist more than covers just about any sonic damage in the game, with the exception of a couple of traps here and there.

I think the only other point of real concern for me would be wisdom. The trouble is that the game is set up in such a way that a fair but unimpressive wisdom stat with no heighten feat really doesn't amount to much at end game these days. Your dc's on blade barriers won't end up high enough to do full damage to most mobs at level 20. The chances of those mobs rolling low enough to take full damage will be a bit higher with your 26 wisdom (assuming +6 item) than if you had dumped wisdom completely, but i seriously doubt that the dps from you bb's will be greatly improved by it much past the Vale/IQ levels and certainly not in epics. For my part i would probably just invest those base stat points elsewhere (maybe a couple of points in Int for extra skill points or wherever else) and the action points invested in something like finishing the class toughness enhancements (of which you only have 2 of the 4) or smiting and smiting crits for that extra divine punishment dps.
I might even go so far as to take the build points from wisdom and give it a couple of extra points in charisma. Granted 2 points of charisma amounts to an extremely marginal improvement in sp, but it's not always a waste. Consider that you would be able to remove those two enhancements in charisma (6 action points if memory serves) and apply them to whatever else: toughness/smiting/basket weaving, w/e you like. Alternatively, if you did boost the charisma a little bit and still decided to keep those enhancements you would still have access to lvl 9 spells even if you were to be disjuncted and have your charisma item taken off. Being able to use any of your spells even when disjuncted (like in abbot, epic adq1, etc) is very convenient, and i really hated it when we're fighting the demon queen in eadq1 and i find some of my favorites like mass heal are suddenly not available.

Edit: Actually one thing I forgot was alignment. I personally prefer to keep my divines neutral. I know it's great to have pure good weapons as one levels but being good aligned can cause problems later in life. The marilith chain for example, or litany of the dead, will cause you a negative level if you are good. Of course I wouldnt waste an epic marilith chain on a divine but even the base item can be really nice depending on your gear. Plus it's medium armor so it won't give you any penalties.
Also useful is that being neutral helps you avoid a lot of damage in certain circumstances. For example, a lawful good character being hit by one of the 6 kopeshes of the epic demon queen gets hit by unholy burst and anarchic burst. On a crit role by the Queen that's quite a lot of extra damage, applied to 6 kopeshes. That's 2d6 unholy, plus burst on a 3x multiplier just for being good aligned and even more against someone who's lawful.
Being neutral won't prevent you taking damage from the True Chaos effect on those kopeshes but it does mitigate the others.
Spell casters too (thinking in particular of things like epic Into the Deep) that toss unholy blight, chaos hammer, etc can wreck people that choose to be lawful or good or both.
So yes I like to stay neutral and just suffer the lack of pure good weapons at the lower levels instead of limiting my gear choices and making myself a little easier to kill.

NovaNZ
06-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Really appreciate your time and advice GenPurpose.

I get all of your points – being provided rationale is refreshing when receiving feedback.

I will seek more opinion on the dropping of Wis - likely u are right but still being in cleric play mindset - I will defer decision till I have a broader range of feedback.

Once again - Tx so much. Forum needs more of your helpful informative kind.

GenPurpose
06-28-2011, 06:31 AM
Ah yes, you're not wrong about wisdom. It's a tough decision to have to make.
After update 9 I had to admit to myself that my evoker FvS is in fact far superior dps to my lord of the blades. With the maxed wisdom blade barriers I can gather 6-8 epic mobs in eadq1 and kill them all in about 30 seconds. On the same guy I can just implode 4-5 epic mummies at once in Wiz King and toss Undead to Death on the skellies to finish clearing the room in seconds. It's really not so pretty trying to do that with the WF.
I love my lord of the blades, but in terms of damage output and kill counts the evoker is much more effective so I hate to abandon wisdom.

I wish we had enough stat points to do both ^^

I am working on a long term project now to see about doing both melee dps and offensive casting to a fair degree but it's going to require multiple lives and lots of gear. Abashai 3 piece set for the +3 evocation caster level, but with the charged gauntlets as one of the pieces, etc. Unfortunately that's going to require 2-3 FvS past lives, wizard, maybe a sorc life or two as well just to get my dc's up to the right standard even while missing some wisdom. :s