PDA

View Full Version : "Power Hour"

Seikojin
06-25-2011, 11:15 PM
I am sure Turbine has seen an influx of traffic after announcing the 25% and +1 loot boosting for the last couple of days. This made me think of something I have seen on Sarlona: lack of groups during most of the time.

The only time there is an abundance of groups is when exp pots are on sale, or there is server boost.

This made me immediately think of an old idea in the MMO world: Power Hour.

Much like Echos of power, everyone could have a small exp boost for the first hour they log into the game, with one character. This would spur people to log in at least for a while with their lowbies to take advantage of their power hour and form more groups.

Making the percentage boost say 5% would be low enough to not hurt item mall sales too much. It may even spure them to increase as players stack bonuses.

Vellrad
06-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Do I get it correct?

If so, /notsigned.

If its 1 hour, then wait X amount of time, then people will be logged out more often than logged in.

If so, /notsigned.

If it is first 3600 seconds in given day, and countdown clock resets at set hour once per day, ignoring how much time you got letf, I could agree.

insaneuou
06-25-2011, 11:36 PM
/not signed

Crazyfruit
06-26-2011, 12:03 PM
Not signed.

These can work nice in other games, but in DDO our experience is only granted by the quest completions.

Insert drama here and whining from people who don't finish them fast enough.
More encouragement to zerg easy content you overpower instead of something that might challenge you.
Worse for often afk or casual players who have to wait to fill lfms and give real life a priority.
Doesn't reward people doing difficult quests that can take an hour.
People will simply log off and not play, doing Shadow Crypt or Wizard King runs over an entire week and trying to get their friends to do the same with them.

On the plus side, it helps encourage a healthy amount of playtime & that last one might be a good thing. That's always good. I would /sign something that slightly reduced experience based on how much you've earned in the last week :p

But a portion of "rest experience", for VIP players, that gave a small modifier to all exp earned up until the point where it's full? That sounds good.

gwenniez
06-26-2011, 12:14 PM
powerhour reminds me of UO..

man that was a good game.. back in 2002 and they used power hour too but it
was everyday at a certain hour constantly where you could skill up a lot faster
then normal and you d better be behind your keyboard then :D.

donfilibuster
06-26-2011, 12:25 PM
All this does is effectively giving you the boost once a day, which will be your usual game time anyways.
As opposed to the whole day on a given weekend, which is an incentive to play longer than usual.