PDA

View Full Version : Dear beloved fellow ddoers

Blackheartox
06-25-2011, 06:43 PM
Once there was a little boy who went to a store & saw something strange.
He asked the shopkeeper: "Mister, what is that strange box on the shelf?".
The man replied:" Dear boy, this is your future".
The boy thought to himself :" He must be crazy, how can a box be my future?".
Thinking a bit he asked the man to give him the box. As he prepared the money, he was only thinking about the simple answer that the man gave him. Curiosity was the winner for the first time in his life. As he experienced that something was taking him over he came to know that he begann to walk the path of endless questions in a constant life to death struggle where its always gonna be: to do or not to do. As he carryed the box to his home he met 2 friends. They were friends for over 10 years & they were playmates from liitle days. Then quickly after the usual clap hands stare at the earth for 3 sec scream & say heya greeting they xchanged simple 2 Q&A. Whats that? My future. Can we see it as well? Yes. So something formed that day. Something strange. Something greater then friendship, a sort of unbreakable bond, the boy begann to feel for the first time real friendship & trust. As they all went happily into the house of the little boy, entering his room, they prepared for the moment of truth cause all of them were in deep thoughts what that "future" could be.
They seemed scared of opening the box. Silence filled the room. Nothingness filled those 2 young minds. A moment of stilness. 1,2,3, 5, 10, 20 minutes passed. Nothing happend. The boy, started to laugh. He came to realize that it would make him crazy if he left this box untouched. He screamed in his head: "Open the damn box". But he couldn't do it. A minute passed. He gathered the strenght he had, screamed aloud."Im opening it!!!". The other two boys seemed as they came back to life, as if they were dead for the past half hour, as if they experinced the other side. Their voices filled with doubt slowly gave those 3 words freedom:" Ok, do it". As he moved his hands to the box, they became wet, they begann to shake. But no, his will was stronger. He pushed his fear, felt like a true warrior (filled with innner strenght) & opened the box. He opened pandoras box, he opened his first D&D board set. After that he failed all his saves against all other d&d related stuf, as he was sucked in the world of all various games. Yes the man was right, it became his future. A bit of time passed & he gathered all the happines he could. He became happy as he first heard Minsc, he was happy when he saw lilarcor, he wanted to know the name of the nameless one, he formed his partys. Years passed, many years.....
Then one day, as he steped in the realm of IC he was sucked in reading various things that were related to D&D, he saw something strange on a link his friend sent him. Something rly strange. His thoughts were (as he was way over the nice words) : "*** a D&D MMo?? & it exists over 4 years?" He began to hate himself, his country, his lack of information. But in the end he said:" NO, dont be in a bad mood, its never to late to start". He clicked on the flashy picture, siged in & soon after that he saw for the first time in his life the wonders of korthos".

Whoops i see i went a bit from the main point. As im away from the game for this & the last month i started to replace the joy of playing by reading the forums. I noticed something strange for the past 3 weeks. I would wish for all the dear members of the forums, at which i look up to, to show more love to people who dont wish to play this game the min max way. Dont take me wrong.. I only say i dont like to see how its natural to respond to everything with: Your toon is a fail, you need more this, you need more that....
I hope you understand what i mean. Please dont make this game like the "DONT NAME IT". Its not all about numbers. Its about roleplay, its about enjoying yourself, its about playing a game..
I love great builds advices (which are rly rare here), but i dont think i wish to compete in who has the most kills who heals the most etc etc. IMHO it takes the spirit away from a party based game.
So my advice: Enjoy the game, enjoy the community, enjoy failed pugs, enjoy everything ddo has to offer & dont make people sad :)

Rogann
06-25-2011, 06:49 PM
Cool story bro

NaturalHazard
06-25-2011, 06:59 PM
enjoy the unicorns and rainbows.

LoveNeverFails
06-25-2011, 07:12 PM
wallotxt fail.

spaces are cool, mmk?

BOgre
06-25-2011, 07:32 PM
very +1 sir.

Although I DO want a powerful character, I also have a couple of really BAD toons as well. The powerful one I'm building per advice, doing everything possible to make him 'uber'. The really bad ones I play just for the pure fun of D&D. Dying a horrible death at the hand of a swarm of skeletons can be fun too :)

Lyzern
06-26-2011, 08:50 AM
I enjoyed the reading, thanks for it and I agree, what's with all the hate? People should be able to do whatever they want not considering only numbers :L Chillax people from the forums :P

Back to killing some undead now

jojje_b
06-26-2011, 10:12 AM
agreed, although i lucked out and managed to create the most "uber" build on my first attempt without even knowing about it... the naked halfling wizard! no really, at the start the halfling dragonmark was awesome, i crunched som numbers and declared i could heal more than my cleric friend at level 8 or so while still carrying out my duty as a caster, and then when pale master was released things went crazy, now im the main tank in most raids:) and remember, armor is for gimps!

Rakian_Knight
06-26-2011, 12:04 PM
I 100% agree. You don't need to min/max and not all "flavor characters" are gimped because they aren't doing what everyone else is. I've made a 10 con wizard, a 10 con rogue, and a 10 con halfling dragonmark cleric without quicken and they all made it to level 20 without being carried and I had tons of fun along the way. DDO is a great game in general and the customization is what brings it up to beyond what a good MMO normally is. I've tried LOTRO, and I've tried other popular MMOs and that customization is what makes DDO the best game.

Min/Maxers, you have fun if that is how you want to play and simply build your maxed out "toons." I don't like min/maxing because it takes all the fun out of the game. I like to build "characters" with their own stories in eberron.

+1 to the OP.

~Rakian_Knight

Dispel
06-26-2011, 12:45 PM
Please tell me what happens I only managed the first paragraph.

cdbd3rd
06-26-2011, 12:52 PM
Once there was a little boy who went to a store & saw something strange.
He asked the shopkeeper: "Mister, what is that strange box on the shelf?".
The man replied:" Dear boy, this is your future"....

:)
I think all us oldheads remember our first time hearing/seeing D&D like everyone remembers where they were when they heard Kennedy was shot, or 9/11 or (or other extreme event of your locality)

May not have been to point of your thread, but was certainly the entertaining. :) (happy second greenie box.)

As for your main point - unfortunately, MMOs in general do not cater to the roleplay/flavor that is possible in PnP play. Except! ...when you find a group to play with who hold the same ideals and play toward the same goals. ;)

A strictly RP/fun build will always have a hard row to hoe when trying to integrate into the mainstream Min/Max uberestness of end game PUGs.

(totally off subject: The spell checker wanted to change my made-up word of "uberestness" to "erectness". :D :rolleyes:)

Rian
06-26-2011, 02:47 PM
I Don't read enough forums where people say:
"good job"
"Here's some advice" without being an aggressive elitist
Or just supporting players at all, then again I could be in the wrong forums.

I see most of that in-game, where it's actually put into practice, where the trolls are usually booted from the group :D