PDA

View Full Version : Ranger Considering a run at AA ... god help me ... advice needed on arrow management

voodoogroves
06-24-2011, 12:30 PM
I'm considering doing an AA build, but other than the actual bows, arrow management is something I know basically nothing about. A few questions follow, though I wouldn't say no to some general narrative advice.

(1) Do you collect arrows on your other toons? Beyond things like +5 holy or (special metal type), is there anything in particular you chase? Greater banes?

(2) The AA arrows ... do folks use most of them in the middle ranges, or not bother?

(3) Are the Deneith returning/durable/whatever worth it? Or do you find you have enough regardless and once you start AA you can always get more?

(4) How many quivers do you actually run and use? How do you sort them?

(5) Do you generally switch ammo types frequently, or only for specific bosses/targets? Do you basically run with "generic" most of the time, or do you really try to switch things up mid quest? Do you only change for really special enemies (undead, constructs, etc.)?

I'm not even sure what else I should ask; my knowledge is simply that limited. Advice appreciated.

Thrudh
06-24-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm considering doing an AA build, but other than the actual bows, arrow management is something I know basically nothing about. A few questions follow, though I wouldn't say no to some general narrative advice.

(1) Do you collect arrows on your other toons? Beyond things like +5 holy or (special metal type), is there anything in particular you chase? Greater banes?

(2) The AA arrows ... do folks use most of them in the middle ranges, or not bother?

(3) Are the Deneith returning/durable/whatever worth it? Or do you find you have enough regardless and once you start AA you can always get more?

(5) Do you generally switch ammo types frequently, or only for specific bosses/targets? Do you basically run with "generic" most of the time, or do you really try to switch things up mid quest? Do you only change for really special enemies (undead, constructs, etc.)?

I'm not even sure what else I should ask; my knowledge is simply that limited. Advice appreciated.

(1) I collect +5 Holy and Greater Slaying arrows and send them to my AA
(2) and (3) I summon the 100% returning AA arrows and always use the highest AA Imbue Arrow stance I currently have
(4) Two quivers, one thin with silver and cold-iron, one wide with all the different types of slaying arrows..
(5) I hardly ever switch away from the 100% returning AA arrows... But I have switched to some slayer arrows in a tough quest at times...

Mercureal
06-24-2011, 12:52 PM
Not an AA, but still a ranger. At cap, I have 8 or 10 quivers filled with arrows, but I really only use 1 now, filled with special Deneith Arrows (+3 returning, silver and cold iron). While leveling I would sometimes switch arrows for particular situation, but only when in a tough spot and usually when soloing.

Examples of that would be bane/greater bane, slayers (only at mid-levels though, I found the enemies almost always saving by level 13-14-ish), or sometimes alignment arrows when paired with a good bow. Most of the time though, it was too much trouble to switch, manyshot with whatever arrows were queued up would be enough to take down most trash.

I had my quivers grouped by arrow types (which I'd generally use consistently against particular enemies) - i.e., all anarchic in one, all holy in another, all outsider banes/slaying in another, etc.

voodoogroves
06-24-2011, 12:54 PM
(2) and (3) I summon the 100% returning AA arrows and always use the highest AA Imbue Arrow stance I currently have
(4) Two quivers, one thin with silver and cold-iron, one wide with all the different types of slaying arrows..
(5) I hardly ever switch away from the 100% returning AA arrows... But I have switched to some slayer arrows in a tough quest at times...

For the quivers, you have one with both silver and cold iron? You don't have one each ... one with silver and one with cold iron? Do you use them for just storage and move out the arrows as appropriate, not switching quivers?

That's kinda interesting - do you equip "arrow stacks" or do you equip full, thematic quivers?

LucidLTS
06-24-2011, 01:40 PM
For (2,3,5) what Thrudh said for my AA.

For (1) I'm an Altoholic, I can't hold down a steady toon, so I'm mostly feeding him banes and +3 elemental damage. And +3 silver.

For (4) I use 2 wide and try to keep a couple slots open for arrows/bolts I loot but will sell. I have the narrow quiver (and 2 more wides) in the bank but my AA is lower mid level and only Chronoscope needed the narrow equipped.

I'd like to add it took me a while to learn how to swap efficiently - it doesn't work out of quiver, you have to have the arrows to swap to in inventory & drag them to the hot bar and then just click on the hot bar during combat. I reserve 3 slots there - usually filled with summoned AA, my best elemental, and a bane of whatever is most difficult in the dungeon I'm in.

And the force arrows are nice when fighting incorporeal, even if you'd get more damage from the higher imbue.

ellamonster
06-24-2011, 01:46 PM
I am leveling an AA right now, but he is only 7 at the moment. Just want to point out that my 18 Wizard wears the living quiver (BtC) but it is always spawning different Xoriat Arrows, these arrows can be put into shared bank and my lowbie AA is firing all sorts of neat arrows for low-mid level! :D

Bodic
06-24-2011, 01:53 PM
^^ All THIS

grodon9999
06-24-2011, 02:08 PM
(1) I collect +5 Holy and Greater Slaying arrows and send them to my AA . . .

Even on a tempest . . . slaying and Greater slaying arrows are AWESOME. Stealth-killing in say Elite invaders with a quiver full of Greater Abberation Slayer arrows with 1-2 shot killing everything is a ton of fun. Same with elite-at-level chains of flame and those ubber-annoying gnolls. I save every slaying/greater slaying arrow i can get my hands on for this reason.

Thing is . .. I have HUNDREDS of Greater halfling slayer arrows. What good are these except for midgets who get uppity on my airship?

voodoogroves
06-24-2011, 02:11 PM
Even on a tempest . . . slaying and Greater slaying arrows are AWESOME. Stealth-killing in say Elite invaders with a quiver full of Greater Abberation Slayer arrows with 1-2 shot killing everything is a ton of fun. Same with elite-at-level chains of flame and those ubber-annoying gnolls. I save every slaying/greater slaying arrow i can get my hands on for this reason.

Thing is . .. I have HUNDREDS of Greater halfling slayer arrows. What good are these except for midgets who get uppity on my airship?

True story. I crafted an Unholy of Halfling Bane maul a few days ago, because I made the damn shards working up my crafting XP.

Back on point ... gonna start collecting

Slaying Arrows / Greater Slaying

Holy?
Are there banish/smiting/disrupting?

Mercureal
06-24-2011, 02:26 PM
True story. I crafted an Unholy of Halfling Bane maul a few days ago, because I made the damn shards working up my crafting XP.

Back on point ... gonna start collecting

Slaying Arrows / Greater Slaying

Holy?
Are there banish/smiting/disrupting?

Nope, those are just on bows. The only insta-kill arrows are slaying, as far I know.

NinjaCereal
06-24-2011, 02:52 PM

1. I do not. Not because I don't think they would be useful, I just don't like my inventory filled with arrows. If I did, The most useful ones would be: slayers/greater slayers, holy, and specific banes such as dragon bane.

2. Only until I get the +5 AA arrows. The only reason I keep the others is that they are necessary for the arrow imbues and to get the +5 ones.

3. Not really no. By the time you get the favor to access the Deneith arrows you should have the AA arrows already. Since the AA arrows are free and 100% returning there really isn't a need for the Deneith returning arrows.

4. I have 2 quivers, I only use one for the most part. I keep a Deneith thin quiver stocked with Deneith silver, cold iron, and byeshk or adamantine arrows (depending on the situation). The silver arrows I keep for raid bosses, so I can use my greensteel bow instead of a metalline of pg. The others are just for specific situations, cold iron to be used in DQ for example.
The other quiver is a Denetih wide quiver stocked with random arrows to use in emergencies.

5. I rarely switch from the AA arrows. If I know there will be a lot of constructs or something in a quest, I will probably switch. If it's just a few special enemies here or there, I'll just stick with the norm. If it's a raid boss that I'm fighting then I will switch to whatever breaks dr.

One thing to remember is that the slayer arrow imbue is NOT the only important one. There are some cases where I would completely advise against using it. VoD for one, if you stack manyshot/slayer arrows/ and maybe a lit II, you are almost guaranteed to pull aggro from the tank.

Force and force burst arrows also count as ghost touch, good for quests such as shadow crypt. There isn't much immune to force damage either, so it's a nice bit of extra damage when you shouldn't be using slayers.

Acid arrows are essentially Melf's in bow form. Good for low level quests.

Explosive arrows work like flaming burst does. Excellent in as a back up in quests such as Enemy Within if you don't have a flaming weapon to hit frost skellies with. It's also good against trolls.

Terror arrows I wouldn't use much, if at all. You may be able to hit the guy running away in fear, but that doesn't mean the rest of the party can. Only take these as a prereq to slayer arrows.

voodoogroves
06-24-2011, 02:57 PM
Do the acid arrows do ONLY acid damage? In otherwords, can I go nuts in Sleeping Dust and not kill spiders?

Rauven
06-24-2011, 03:09 PM
As an AA horde the slayers and the banes, everything else can be sold.

As has been said you'll be using your +# conjured arrows most of the time and pull out the slayer/banes as needed. The only other arrows you'll need will be silver/cold iron from house D vendor and those only for raids.

Buy the house D quivers, a thin to hold your silver/cold iron and a couple wide to hold the slayer/banes.

NinjaCereal
06-24-2011, 03:22 PM
Do the acid arrows do ONLY acid damage? In otherwords, can I go nuts in Sleeping Dust and not kill spiders?

They do both acid and the normal piercing damage, along with whatever else is on the bow you're using.

Thrudh
06-27-2011, 09:35 AM
Terror arrows I wouldn't use much, if at all. You may be able to hit the guy running away in fear, but that doesn't mean the rest of the party can. Only take these as a prereq to slayer arrows.

Terror arrows can be useful when soloing... sometimes.

Thrudh
06-27-2011, 09:36 AM

They do your normal damage PLUS acid.

Use precise shot (not improved precise shot) and you'll only hit the ogres you have targeted.

AAs do very well in Sleeping Dust.

grodon9999
06-27-2011, 10:27 AM
AAs do very well in Sleeping Dust.

The only quest in the game where i equip my paralyer bow :0

grodon9999
06-27-2011, 10:29 AM
FYI - don't bother with dwarf slaying/greater-slaying arrows :)

Tied a bunch on the elite Ataraxia quests last night, those buggers just have way to high of a fort save!

voodoogroves
06-27-2011, 10:38 AM
FYI - don't bother with dwarf slaying/greater-slaying arrows :)

Tied a bunch on the elite Ataraxia quests last night, those buggers just have way to high of a fort save!

Heh good to know.

I'm still gathering non-bound gear and trying to decide if I do this as someone new or a TR; if a TR I need to prep more (appropriate shroud gear, etc.) Thanks for the advice though; know very little about archers.