PDA

View Full Version : Hireling Follow Distance

Spoonwelder
06-24-2011, 08:50 AM
I am sure it has been suggested before and/or there is a solution I just don't know about....but could they please change the hireling (and summon) follow distances. I have a cleric healbot following me around who keeps dying because they get caught in the cross-fire around me. They could even tie it into the modes.....agressive mode - right at my hip unless they find a juicy target for themselves...Defensive mode 20ft back ready to assist. Passive mode staying at max casting range.

Just a thought....this may not apply to other hireling types but for healers should be a control setting we have.

'nuf said

Cam_Neely
06-24-2011, 08:51 AM
old request, with no response from Devs, but yes, i fully agree, and glad it was brought up again.

In NWN I could interact with my hireling, and s/he gained level items ect. That is great an all, but I would give my right index finger for the ability to tell Haystack

"Hey man, this is going to get a bit nasty, lots of cleaving Orthons. As opposed to sticking your hand in my back pocket (which honestly is getting a bit creepy) and hanging right next to me, how about you stay about 20 feet behind me?"

Should not be to hard to set a distance on the hirelings.

Silverwren
06-24-2011, 08:56 AM
/signed, once again

GeneralDiomedes
06-24-2011, 09:14 AM
/signed

battle clerics are not playable by AI!

Miow
06-24-2011, 09:19 AM
Hirelings suck plain and simple, they are worse then they have ever been.

Agree with you.

CalydorEstalon
06-24-2011, 09:20 AM
/signed.

When I'm backing away from enemies, casting spell after spell at them, my hireling keeps getting in the way, making me shoot at the ceiling if I don't make sure to keep specific enemies targeted. It's annoying.

All in all we need a long list of all the things that are wrong with hireling behavior.

hermespan
06-24-2011, 09:21 AM
I am sure it has been suggested before and/or there is a solution I just don't know about....but could they please change the hireling (and summon) follow distances. I have a cleric healbot following me around who keeps dying because they get caught in the cross-fire around me. They could even tie it into the modes.....agressive mode - right at my hip unless they find a juicy target for themselves...Defensive mode 20ft back ready to assist. Passive mode staying at max casting range.

Just a thought....this may not apply to other hireling types but for healers should be a control setting we have.
'nuf said

Take your striding item off. You won't have any problems with follow distance. NPC's have default speed. They don't have the items so they are WAY slower than a real player.

EDIT: sorry misunderstood post lol

Frotz
06-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Are there hirelings for whom switching to passive and back doesn't reset their follow distance to something greater than an invasion of personal space? When I can be bothered to do so I don't recall it ever not working.

katana_one
06-24-2011, 09:37 AM
I was thinking of writing a post like this the other day. My personal peeve is that they ruin stealth because they follow directly behind you. I have to order them to stand ground, then drop into stealth so I can assassinate targets. Otherwise, the hireling pulls aggro on sight and the mobs start shooting, and I get de-stealthed when they hit me standing between.

So a couple of suggestions to deal with the "violation of personal space" following distance.

If stealthing, but you want your hireling with you, zig-zag or approach the mob at an angle so the hireling is less likely to be directly behind you when the archers open fire.

Otherwise, find a spot close to the mob but out of direct line of sight if possible. Around the corner in a tunnel or right outside a closed door works well. Really, any terrain that can block LOS. Order your hireling to stop following, then do what you want to do (sneak up and assassinate, charge in swinging, throw your CC spell, etc.). Your hireling should still be close enough to assist with heals, or even attacks if you've set him to aggressive mode. If he's not, you can pull the mob to the hireling. But either way, the hireling will keep returning to the same spot so that you don't have to worry about him being too close to you.

Not perfect, but it's better than nothing.

/signed

arch0njw
06-24-2011, 09:59 AM
/signed

/'sigh'ned

There is so much Hireling behavior I'd like to see improved[1][2][3][4]. I have a hard time finding good people to run with when I'm playing at off-times for my guildies.

It's a sad day when Hirelings are better than real people...

[1] FFS how many times do I have to tell you to DO NOT WALK THROUGH THE LAVA/ACID/SPIKE-TRAP?!?!?!
[2] Do you REALLY need to stop walking to respond to my command?
[3] It's a TRAP! Get the FARK out of it AND STOP HEALING YOURSELF WHILE STANDING IN IT!!!
[4] If you are getting hit repeatedly... have you tried, oh, MOVING?!

arch0njw
06-24-2011, 10:01 AM
Are there hirelings for whom switching to passive and back doesn't reset their follow distance to something greater than an invasion of personal space? When I can be bothered to do so I don't recall it ever not working.

The hireling FvS "Storm" -constantly- stands exactly where I am standing. It is freaking annoying. I think maybe he has separation anxiety. It is particularly annoying when playing a halfling because my view is regularly Warforged butt... *GAH*

MrLarone
06-24-2011, 10:26 AM
my view is regularly Warforged butt... *GAH*

{sigmund fraud voice}

and yet you continue to hire this "Storm" character, hmm... was you mother closely envoled with a warforged?

{/sigmund faud voice}

/SIGNED!!!

***EDIT***

blast it, i googled that as well, next time copy paste the CORRECT answer!

arch0njw
06-24-2011, 11:12 AM
{sigmund fraud voice}

and yet you continue to hire this "Storm" character, hmm... was you mother closely envoled with a warforged?

{/sigmund faud voice}

/SIGNED!!!

Freud...

It was a terrible trade-off... warforged butt for powerful hireling to guard by Hagglebard...

Kreaper
06-24-2011, 11:53 AM
/signed

/'sigh'ned

[5]You are dieing!!! Stop trying to heal yourself with potions you stupid Cleric!!!

redspecter23
06-24-2011, 12:00 PM
When I tell my hireling cleric to "protect my ***!" I don't mean it literally. Stay out of my personal hula hoop!

Oh, signed a billion times. Let me set the follow distance for my hirelings. They are far too squishy to be up in the front with the real players. I know I can tell him to stop manually, but why can't there be an automatic distance as well?