PDA

View Full Version : Swap the Airship shop and Embers Asylum locations

Bradik_Losdar
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
It doesn't make any sense to me as to where the locations of the Airship shop and Ember Asylum are currently placed.

I mean really, the Coin Lords are going to stand for crazy screaming, wailing, odd smells, strange comings and goings, mysterious deaths, etc, etc going on 'round the clock right next door to their palacial estate? Let alone the inevitable breakout of said 'residents', whose second stop on a night of murder and madness (right after looting the Bank, which I'm sure House Kundarak is looking forward to :rolleyes:) will be their very living quarters.

Wouldn't it make more sense to place the Airship shop (an afluent and prestige based business) between the Lordsmach Plaza and the Bank in the Marketplace, and the insane asylum out in the Harbor where if the inmates did escape would probaly fall off a cliff, drowned in the ocean, or get eaten by kobolds? Besides if they rioted there, what harm could it do? It's already the low rent district, partly filled with crazies (just ask Dirk), anything out there is easily replacable (or ignorable). I'm sure it would make the Airship shop owner happy - no one in the Harbor has the money to buy an Airship anyway (and the guy selling 'discount' airships could move closer to the Harbor airship mooring tower).

So, I ask you, wouldn't it make sense to swap the locations of these two establishments?

Grifarr
06-23-2011, 10:23 AM
Solid logic. Good suggestion.

Maxson
06-23-2011, 10:45 AM
I always just assume the alleyway between the market and the ember asylum is far longer than it appears, you go through the gate but walk much further...yknow, just like Searing Heights isn't within 4 feet of the marketplace.

TheDjinnFor
06-23-2011, 10:51 AM
I always just assume the alleyway between the market and the ember asylum is far longer than it appears, you go through the gate but walk much further...yknow, just like Searing Heights isn't within 4 feet of the marketplace.

More sound logic. I don't think the internet could contain that much intelligence at once... Dang it this thread is going to explode!

Bradik_Losdar
06-23-2011, 11:06 AM

Still, it's the entrance to the Asylum and the insane have to be brought in here (and bodies carried out). I really don't think the Coin Lords want that kind of traffic right next door, and I'm sure the patrons and owners of the Bank don't care for it much either. :p

And that doesn't even take into account taking a wrong turn after a long night at the Phoenix Tavern...:eek::D

varusso
06-23-2011, 11:26 AM
So....live next to the noisy airport or the medicated quiet of the "alternative" house....hmmmm...

Check a real life city layout -- the airport is more likely to be located in a high industrial/commercial area, and any residential areas nearby are typically low-rent and crime-ridden. Whereas mental health facilities tend to be in nice neighborhoods -- though generally set back on a hill somewhere and isolated. It probably has something to do with the "eccentric" nature of the well-to-do.

Angelus_dead
06-23-2011, 11:28 AM
Still, it's the entrance to the Asylum
It's not the entrance to the asylum.

and the insane have to be brought in here
Insane people are not brought there. That's something done at most asylums, but not this one; notice the name.

Bradik_Losdar
06-23-2011, 12:19 PM
It's not the entrance to the asylum.

Technically true, it's the entrance to the Ember's District. But for all intents and purposes - it is the only access/egress for the Asylum. And no one (with money) wants to be near that.

Insane people are not brought there. That's something done at most asylums, but not this one; notice the name.

Ah, shall we say 'people with problems' then? :) But the same goes - no one with money wants to associate, or be reminded on a daily basis going to the bank or home to their mansion, about 'people with issues'. :D