PDA

View Full Version : Give Beholders Byeshk DR

JollySwagMan
06-22-2011, 07:43 PM
It's no biggie, but I think they deserve it. Thoughts?

Rian
06-22-2011, 08:34 PM
I could see where you're coming from, want to make byeshk metal useful right?
However, if you wanted beholders to recieve that DR, it should be for the armored beholders. just my opinion.

Zaal
06-22-2011, 09:18 PM
Interesting idea... did some research: Byeshk - A hard and dense metal used by hobgoblins during the Daelkyr War for making weapons. It is a rare metal with a purple sheen. Weapons made of byeshk are capable of inflicting great injuries on Daelkyr and their creations. (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Byeshk)

And since: Daelkyr are responsible for most of the aberrations in Eberron, including beholders, dolgaunts, some symbiotic creatures, and many other aberrations (http://eberron.wikia.com/wiki/Daelkyr).

I think you are spot on… +1 !

Zaal
06-22-2011, 09:19 PM
of course , not really looking foward to beholders that are tougher to kill... so maybe that should be a -1 ?

Naa :p

doubledge
06-22-2011, 11:53 PM
how about byesk weapons deal 50% more base damage to abberations?

for example:

beholder one takes 100 slashing damage from a +5 scimitar

beholder one takes 150 slashing damage from a +5 byeshk scimitar

weewoo0
06-23-2011, 12:02 AM
how about byesk weapons deal 50% more base damage to abberations?

for example:

beholder one takes 100 slashing damage from a +5 scimitar

beholder one takes 150 slashing damage from a +5 byeshk scimitar

would be nice if byeshk weapons were rare... but now its beholder one takes 1.5.... err its dead guys does the number matter? damage from a +5 holy byeshk scimitar of greater aberration bane

TheDearLeader
06-23-2011, 12:10 AM
Funny - I've already crafted two +5 Holy Burst Byeshk of Greater Aberration Bane swords, thanks to Cannith Crafting.

I thought that more stuff in the content pack would need DR bypassing - sadly, only the Renders seem to, and they're all Cold Iron + Good, as they are everywhere else in game.

Xenostrata
06-23-2011, 12:23 AM
They really should have byeshk DR. Also, why are beholders lawful? I thought all creatures from Xoriat are supposed to be inherently chaotic.

mournbladereigns
06-23-2011, 01:49 AM
The other beholder types (ice, chaos, armored) besides the standard anti-magic types could use it. They're fairly easy to kill compared to standard beholder. Doomspheres/Undead beholders are appropriately tough to kill:)

Maxson
06-23-2011, 03:12 AM
The other beholder types (ice, chaos, armored) besides the standard anti-magic types could use it. They're fairly easy to kill compared to standard beholder. Doomspheres/Undead beholders are appropriately tough to kill:)

It's worth being a hunter of the dead paladin just for doomspheres, they're awful for some toons to fight. The description of byeshk "Inflicting great injuries" on daelkyr makes it sound like they take extra damage from it, rather than it just bypassing their DR.

TheDearLeader
06-23-2011, 03:14 AM
It's worth being a hunter of the dead paladin just for doomspheres, they're awful for some toons to fight. The description of byeshk "Inflicting great injuries" on daelkyr makes it sound like they take extra damage from it, rather than it just bypassing their DR.

And just to clarify - they don't.

They're Evil Outsiders - so the only damage I was seeing "extra" on them with the aforementioned weapons was Holy Burst, Capstone, and KotC damage.

The last boss of the chain would be more challenging with some type of DR, that's for sure.

Maxson
06-23-2011, 03:20 AM
And just to clarify - they don't.

They're Evil Outsiders - so the only damage I was seeing "extra" on them with the aforementioned weapons was Holy Burst, Capstone, and KotC damage.

The last boss of the chain would be more challenging with some type of DR, that's for sure.

To be fair, I figured it was probably just flavour text, Byeshk likely does them great injury only because non-byeshk struggles to do them injury at all, you know what adventurers are like, always exaggerating about how much damage they did swinging their swords about.

Zaal
06-23-2011, 09:09 AM
Funny - I've already crafted two +5 Holy Burst Byeshk of Greater Aberration Bane swords, thanks to Cannith Crafting.

I thought that more stuff in the content pack would need DR bypassing - sadly, only the Renders seem to, and they're all Cold Iron + Good, as they are everywhere else in game.

lol - this is the OP's alt account right?
Ask for more DR on one account to support the weapons made on the other account, eh? :D

~STERLIN1
06-23-2011, 10:19 AM
Why would you ask to make a monster more difficult particularly when there is no support for your arguement? If it is to make byshk useful as you suggest it does not improve you but rather nerfs many others.. To be blunt, this makes no sense. You wan't to see byshk have use? Ask for a new type of monster.

TheDearLeader
06-23-2011, 10:49 AM
Ask for more DR on one account to support the weapons made on the other account, eh? :D

No...

If I end up not finding a use for the weapons, I'll just crunch them back for tasty essences and keep grinding - making those swords also happened to make me a ton of XP.

But it is sad that Byesk = Aberration, supposedly, and those weapons are not the bomb diggety that they should be. /shrug.

Zaal
06-23-2011, 11:54 AM
Why would you ask to make a monster more difficult particularly when there is no support for your arguement? If it is to make byshk useful as you suggest it does not improve you but rather nerfs many others.. To be blunt, this makes no sense. You wan't to see byshk have use? Ask for a new type of monster.

Not really sure where you coming from especially since the support for the arguement is offered by the links I provided... do you dispute the data retrieved by the links?

I am starting to have 2nd thoughts though on the DR aspect however... Nothing in the links seem to suggest that anything other than Byeshk can do normal damage but instead, suggest that Byeshk does "uber" damage instead... perhaps like fire affects creatures of cold disposition.

Zaal
06-23-2011, 11:56 AM

No...

If I end up not finding a use for the weapons, I'll just crunch them back for tasty essences and keep grinding - making those swords also happened to make me a ton of XP.

But it is sad that Byesk = Aberration, supposedly, and those weapons are not the bomb diggety that they should be. /shrug.

um, perhaps I should have used a:
/sacrsam on

I thought it was funny :rolleyes:

JollySwagMan
06-23-2011, 04:35 PM
Heh. I should add that yes, my reasoning is mostly lore-based.

It's also out of sympathy for Beholders, who get a raw deal in DDO (in my opinion). If there's any monster that should encourage a player to stop headbutting the keyboard and actually use tactics...it should be this guy.

I *would* like to see Byeshk weapons made more useful, but the main step for that would be more Daelkyr type of stuff.

Kourier
06-23-2011, 04:43 PM
Wizards of the Coast Eberron article (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eb/20040511a)

Scroll down to the section about dolgaunts and byeshk. It says that only byeshk can bypass daelkyr and similar aberrations' DR. I support this idea out of lore and the fact that aberrations as is are not very challenging (relatively low fortitude saves).

~STERLIN1
06-23-2011, 06:33 PM
What they lack in defense they more than make up in offense particularly with recent buffs(ray range) to them. If you wish a still greater challenge take off some of that lovely gear that many players do not have(assuming raising the difficulty is not sufficient). Also beholders are lawful as per the monster manual and do not have DR per the same source so siting your source is well and good but it isn't the best source for the occasion.

donfilibuster
06-23-2011, 08:05 PM
And there i tought beholders did had DR/byesk, what do i do now with my dual byesk holy kopeshes of greater aberration bane that are gathering dust for a future fighter?