PDA

View Full Version : Double the XP of the Three-barrel Cove quests

grodon9999
06-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Ran through these last night elite one-and-done on some TRs. The quests are fun, a lot of fun but the lack of named-loot and garbage XP make kinda meh regarding replay value.

Prove Your Worth for one thing should be worth double the XP because of that silly puzzle.

mws2970
06-20-2011, 01:30 PM
Doubling the XP might be a little bit too much, but I agree it should be looked at and raised some to fit the quests better. Also, the loot found out there is junk and needs to be improved. Some named stuff too would help. Anything to make that area better would be welcomed.

FranOhmsford
06-20-2011, 01:31 PM
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=150124

Hopefully this is the right thread - I agree about the loot {especially the end rewards} but xp in 3 Barrel is extremely good for it's lvl anyway once you factor in that you can slay 350 each time you do the slayer.

BTW Thank you Lithic - Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Gkar
06-20-2011, 01:33 PM
Wow, I think I've only been to 3BC two or three times since they changed it. It's just not good XP/min and its a pain even running out to the quests. I has to have been a couple years since I've been there on any character. All the new low level quests have pretty much ensured it isn't worth the trip out.

ArkoHighStar
06-20-2011, 01:39 PM
they need to have teleporter NPC's like in Tangleroot, find him once and you can teleport back as many times as you need to run the quest.

Crazyfruit
06-20-2011, 01:41 PM
Totally signed, except for Ghost of a Chance maybe... that's the only quest out there that seems to be popular. But the run time kills the XP.

Would really like to see a way to navigate around faster. Running to Fire Caves & Garl's Tomb 6 times to do it n/h/e is a giant pain.

voodoogroves
I'd be ok if they kicked in things like more crafting essences in the loot tables, etc.

rimble
they need to have teleporter NPC's like in Tangleroot, find him once and you can teleport back as many times as you need to run the quest.

Agreed. The problem is the whole time/xp situation...so either raise the xp, or reduce the time, either one brings the equation back towards a more useful value.

FranOhmsford
06-20-2011, 01:46 PM
I'd agree on Fire Caves yes but the other quests are all reachable w/out killing anything except maybe a hyena or two in the case of Prove Your Worth.

Swim to Legend of Two toed Tobias, Ghost of a Chance, Scoundrel's Run.

Run to bridge and drop to Garl's Tomb.

Cross bridge to Prove Your Worth.

XP/minute is not something I personally worry too much about.

You can easily go run Shadow Crypt/Delera's/Bloody Crypt over and over again for that anyway.

Loot however is barely worth it in 3 Barrel - Definitely upgrade the end rewards to equal those in Delera's/Carnival.

The same goes for Necro 1 - Why are the items min lvl 9 for lvl 5-6 quests?

redspecter23
06-20-2011, 01:52 PM
It's a bit of a balancing act trying to get the right xp on a quest where the run to the front door takes double the time it takes to run the actual quest. Because of window farming, you can't raise the xp too much or it's far too easy to earn high xp/min that way while people doing it the "right" way get far too little. The problem lies in the fact that you have very short quests that require a long walk to get to. (granted the xp on many of them is low to begin with anyway, but I'm just talking about the root problem here).

I've mentioned before and I'd like to remention it again now that an option to make window farming a more legitimate practice should be encouraged. After completion of a quest when all members have left the instance, have an option to allow a "repeat" of the quest or chapter that has just been completed. This option can have a 5 minute timer. That way the shadiness of window farming is gone and it's more obvious to newer players and it's solo friendly as well. After that is done, then a reworking of xp can be calculated a bit more easily as you don't have to factor in travel time for such a short quest.

grodon9999
06-20-2011, 02:00 PM
I'd be ok if they kicked in things like more crafting essences in the loot tables, etc.

Side note . . . my TR group is planning on running everything on Elite while leveling up and we've been raking in a TON of greater essences, way more than I saw in my previous weeks of epic grind.

somenewnoob
06-20-2011, 02:07 PM
I like the whole area and the quests. I'm not much of a xp/min guy, I wouldn't run those quests if I was. One of the most flavorful and well done areas in the game IMO.I could go for the rewards being jacked up a bit though.

Pantsless
06-20-2011, 02:13 PM
Oh god yes. These quests are a blast, but there's really very little point to run them given the cruddy xp, the even cruddier loot, and the long run times to several of the quests.

I gotta echo the other folks here. This has the potential to be a great pack due to the compelling quests, but without the carrots of xp or loot, it's hard to get people to spend time out there (or even buy the pack) to truly appreciate it.

grodon9999
06-20-2011, 02:16 PM
. . . (or even buy the pack) . . .

That's kinda my point, I'm ViP so i can run anything and I like running a huge variety of quests. If I wasn't ViP I just can't see buying this.

FranOhmsford
06-20-2011, 02:18 PM
An alternate suggestion:-

Make 3 Barrel Cove the default starter zone for veteran characters instead of Korthos. Add the pack to veteran status as a bonus {no extra cost} and make it unlockable at the same favour as veteran status.

If this is too much then rather than veteran status use it for TRs and allow them to start at lvl 4 rather than lvl 1 on each subsequent life.

P.S. This was one of the first packs I bought {long before I upgraded to VIP} and it's still one of my favourites thanks largely to the truly amazing slayer area {second imo only to Orchard}.

Chai
06-20-2011, 02:22 PM
They definately need to do something to make 3bc more attractive. If its doubling the XP or not, something should be done here. I think these quests can be fun at level, but finding an at level group who wants to run this stuff....

/queues up elevator music.

redspecter23
06-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Another alternate is to just adjust the level range on the quests and scale them up. If they were all in the 15-18 range you could solve two problems at once. More high level content and a reason to run 3BC. In order to make everyone happy, you could even keep the low level instance intact and add a higher, but not epic version.

FranOhmsford
06-20-2011, 02:30 PM
Or provide 3 new quests inside 3 barrel - all lvl 15 as even with Harbinger this is an extremely quest poor lvl.

Pt.3 to Fire Caves - CR 15
Pt.3 to Garl's Tomb - CR 15
pt.2 to Scoundrel's Run - CR 15

ceiswyn
06-21-2011, 02:40 AM
1. Provide teleportation. Someone on the Rotten Shark (a looter?) and someone at the shrine near the Fire Caves (a miner?) would make the entire area so much more friendly to get around. You'd still need to run the area to find them, and since they wouldn't be right next to any quest entrances you'd still have to do some killing to get to the quests.
2. Change the favour. Seriously, nobody gives a monkey's about Free Agents favour. Any rogue picks up more Thieves' Tools than they can use, and heal/repair kits are essentially pointless. Or you could fix Free Agents favour, I don't care which; just sort out favour such that these quests are worth running.
3. Named loot. Think eyepatches. Think cutlasses. Think pieces of eight. Think parrots, for pity's sake. Named armour with a long coat and a sash around the waist. It doesn't have to be amazingly powerful named loot, it just needs to look cool or have an awesome piratey description. And be a rare drop :)

whitehawk74
06-21-2011, 04:08 AM
I love it out there. Im sure there is a way to make it a common questing area again. I hardly see anything in the LFMs about it.
A double XP might work, or just sprucing the place up a bit and some named Loot, or Sets, or whatever brings the people in.

rayworks
06-21-2011, 04:51 AM
3. Named loot. Think eyepatches. Think cutlasses. Think pieces of eight. Think parrots, for pity's sake. Named armour with a long coat and a sash around the waist. It doesn't have to be amazingly powerful named loot, it just needs to look cool or have an awesome piratey description. And be a rare drop :)

Yes! When the Crystal Cove was open, I sooooooo wanted a parrot.

phillymiket
06-21-2011, 05:10 AM
Agreement.

I love 3BC.

It just is tough to fit it in.

The quests are a trek.
Even running invisible, which I always do, it's a haul. (I just don't slay until GH - maybe Ataraxia)

Loot is dreadful.
Congratulations! You have defended a pirate ship from being boarded and avoided an annoying fail mechanic. Here's your 125 gold pieces.

Favor is from the Free Agents. Easy to get and not very useful (except maybe the expert repair).

XP is weak. Only solving the puzzle with a window a few times really is good XP/Min.

As someone said named items would be good.
Uping the random loot, especially the end rewards, is in order.
A bit more XP would help.

And do something unique in the slayer area.
It's a huge and beautiful area. Give me a reason to be there. Maybe a unique collectible to hand in for something - kind of like the tapestries in the Orchard.

Maxson
06-21-2011, 06:32 AM
There does seem to be something missing from three barrel cove, I know I can never get anyone to do quests there with me, I figure an incentive to actually go there is probably in order.

Gkar
06-21-2011, 06:57 AM
An alternate suggestion:-

Make 3 Barrel Cove the default starter zone for veteran characters instead of Korthos. Add the pack to veteran status as a bonus {no extra cost} and make it unlockable at the same favour as veteran status.

Nothing stops me from recalling out of there...and I would

Sarisa
06-21-2011, 08:07 AM
They're fun-ish quests, and the explorer area is really nice; but it's at a level range where there is SO much more to do, that offers far better experience for the time invested. In addition, the other areas offer named loot for alts or sale. When I purchased all the available packs at the time right before update 6, this was the last one I bought because it was the least useful.

Even on a double TR, you really don't have a need for the experience from here, due to the massive experience potential from Necro 1, Necro 2, Delera's, Carnival, Tear, Gwylan's, The Pit, STK, Waterworks, and to a lesser extent Sharn and Sentinels.

At least one among the following needs to be done to make the area worthwhile, and to make Keeper's work on the explorer area not go to waste:

Increase the experience of these quests, as suggested by the OP. This may encourage more "window farming", but that's already done in the huge experience quests anyway.
Add named loot to make the area desirable to run. This has been mentioned as in planning by a dev, but 15 minutes of searching couldn't bring up the post.
Increase and rebalance the level range of these quests to an area that is short on quests, such as between 10 and 15.
I like the suggestion of "packaging" this area with Veteran status. I just don't know if area access can be limited to server (like other favour rewards). Would make the area more useful, and give a bit more variety in quest environments.

While Necro 3, Sorrowdusk, Threnal, and the Restless Isles aren't popular areas either, those are ones that at least have some desirability for players to run due to bound named loot available in the quests, or high experience potential of some parts for TR's.

Three Barrel Cove, unfortunately, has nothing besides a very nice looking explorer area with a long way to travel. None of the quests from there appeared in the 'Most Hated' quest list, but Prove Your Worth did appear tied at #34 on the 'Most Loved' quest list.

stoerm
06-21-2011, 08:18 AM
1. Provide teleportation. Someone on the Rotten Shark (a looter?) and someone at the shrine near the Fire Caves (a miner?) would make the entire area so much more friendly to get around. You'd still need to run the area to find them, and since they wouldn't be right next to any quest entrances you'd still have to do some killing to get to the quests.
2. Change the favour. Seriously, nobody gives a monkey's about Free Agents favour. Any rogue picks up more Thieves' Tools than they can use, and heal/repair kits are essentially pointless. Or you could fix Free Agents favour, I don't care which; just sort out favour such that these quests are worth running.

Words of wisdom.

Lithic
06-21-2011, 08:24 AM
Doubling the XP might be a little bit too much, but I agree it should be looked at and raised some to fit the quests better. Also, the loot found out there is junk and needs to be improved. Some named stuff too would help. Anything to make that area better would be welcomed.

Actually for some doubling wouldn't be enough. That guard the ship quest takes what, about 10mins? For 700xp or something?

Ghost of a chance you could leave alone, it has well over 1k/min for even a modest zerg group.

Would be great if Crucible-Light (Prove your worth) was worth farming though!