PDA

View Full Version : Change Kobold Assault into a Raid

Zachski
06-19-2011, 10:20 PM
Yes, that low level quest in the harbor. The gigantic one where you have to kill a thousand kobolds in this gigantic area.

Was it a thousand? EDIT: No, it was two hundred. I haven't played it in forever because it's just not worth playing. Too hard for too little reward. It's something you come back at level 10 for so you can get favor.

Since it's such a big area, I was thinking this might be the perfect quest to introduce people to raids. Maybe make the reward better, too.

Grenada
06-19-2011, 10:26 PM
You only have to kill 200 kobolds. I actually enjoy running that one as is (with a party, can only get about half way on my own at level).

Though a low level raid would be nice, and it would be easy enough to modify this quest into one.

Angelus_dead
06-19-2011, 10:27 PM
Was it a thousand? I can't remember anymore. I haven't played it in forever because it's just not worth playing. Too hard for too little reward. It's something you come back at level 10 for so you can get favor.
The reason Kobold Assault isn't worth it is not that it's hard, but that it's long. Basically you're just waiting around for 200 kobolds to eventually show up so you can kill them. (A majorly unprepared newbie might run out of hp, but dropping a few plat on a lev1 Cleric hireling gets around that and lets anyone win)

If a quest doesn't have enough to keep one player busy, then adding eleven more players into the instance creates a much worse quest.

As a general rule, adding 12 player instances to a game that was designed for groups of 3-6 is a bad thing, and should only be done with a strong specific reason.

Though a low level raid would be nice, and it would be easy enough to modify this quest into one.
It would be very hard to make a decent low level raid, as Chronoscope already demonstrated. It would be rather fun to watch a designer try to turn Kobold Assault into a raid, just to analyze all the gameplay problems such a task would reveal...

Zachski
06-19-2011, 10:29 PM
You only have to kill 200 kobolds. I actually enjoy running that one as is (with a party, can only get about half way on my own at level).

Fixed, thanks.

I never really enjoyed it. It's just a massive spam of enemies with only one rest shrine... right in the middle of the chaos. Considering I usually play blue bar classes, even my most conservative spellcasting will leave me dry...

...which, with Echoes of Power, is less of an issue, but still.

And I've been in full parties, too, that end up struggling. So, lucky you :-/

Zachski
06-19-2011, 10:31 PM
The reason Kobold Assault isn't worth it is not that it's hard, but that it's long. Basically you're just waiting around for 200 kobolds to eventually show up so you can kill them. (A majorly unprepared newbie might run out of hp, but dropping a few plat on a lev1 Cleric hireling gets around that and lets anyone win)

Uh... I dunno about you, but whenever I try that, my Cleric hireling actually runs out of SP. And then we die >_>

protokon
06-19-2011, 10:33 PM
throw in a 'conjoined kobold devastator' at the end..sure would be fun, and worth killing 200 kobolds for.

Angelus_dead
06-19-2011, 10:33 PM
Uh... I dunno about you, but whenever I try that, my Cleric hireling actually runs out of SP.
Didn't you say you hadn't tried Kobold Assault in forever?

Anyway, the shrine is out the front gate to the right. Click it and tell the hireling to use when needed.

Grenada
06-19-2011, 10:36 PM
It would be very hard to make a decent low level raid, as Chronoscope already demonstrated. It would be rather fun to watch a designer try to turn Kobold Assault into a raid, just to analyze all the gameplay problems such a task would reveal...

I didn't mean for it to be a full raid so much as a mad slaughter fest so new players get a feel for group strategy (well, a little anyways :) ). I don't know tons about programming, but I was meaning they could just increase the number of kobolds you have to kill, and have them appear at 4-5X the rate they do now. Also would give TRs something of a challenge with only 2-4 of them trying to do it (I don't have a TR, but I often hear the better ones saying that many quests aren't enough of a challenge for them while leveling)

Zachski
06-19-2011, 10:47 PM
Didn't you say you hadn't tried Kobold Assault in forever?

Anyway, the shrine is out the front gate to the right. Click it and tell the hireling to use when needed.

Reading comprehension FTW.

I mentioned the shrine in my first post. How it was, you know, in the middle of the chaos?

You've got to be pretty lucky to be able to use it without a kobold coming along and poking you to interrupt your rest.

Angelus_dead
06-19-2011, 10:53 PM
Reading comprehension FTW.
Yes, you could try that.

I mentioned the shrine in my first post.
No, you did not mention the shrine in your first post.

You've got to be pretty lucky to be able to use it without a kobold coming along and poking you to interrupt your rest.
No, you don't have to be lucky to use the shrine in Kobold Assault. As I mentioned above, an inexperienced newbie might not understand how shrines work and could have difficulty, but it doesn't take long to get past that. To use the rest shrine you need either a moderate knowledge of game mechanics or a decent ability to kill kobolds.

bendover
06-19-2011, 10:56 PM
Make it epic and send out like 15 a wave.

Zachski
06-19-2011, 10:57 PM
Yes, you could try that.

No, you did not mention the shrine in your first post.

Ah, you're right. It was in the first draft of my post. Regardless...

No, you don't have to be lucky to use the shrine in Kobold Assault. As I mentioned above, an inexperienced newbie might not understand how shrines work and could have difficulty, but it doesn't take long to get past that. To use the rest shrine you need either a moderate knowledge of game mechanics or a decent ability to kill kobolds.

How shrines work?

You click it, you sit down, you sit there for awhile until the bar is at about 90% full, and then you stand up with regenerated health and mana. You get poked, it gets interrupted and you stand up without being rested and have to fight off your attacker before you can try again, which starts it all over.

Unless there's some arcane secret that can make rest shrines work twice as fast, you have to be either lucky or have nearly ESP-level timing to be able to rest at a shrine. Oh yeah, and many of those kobolds? Throwing fire packets around. So they don't even have to be next to you to interrupt your hireling's rest... or your rest for that matter.

Angelus_dead
06-19-2011, 11:02 PM
How shrines work?

You click it, you sit down, you sit there for awhile until the bar is at about 90% full, and then you stand up with regenerated health and mana. You get poked, it gets interrupted and you stand up without being rested and have to fight off your attacker before you can try again, which starts it all over.
1. If you are in Sneak mode, you don't exit Sneak mode until you're done resting.
2. Kobolds are pretty bad at getting around shrines to throw at someone. They mostly just throw at the big rock and don't try to go around.

So they don't even have to be next to you to interrupt your hireling's rest... or your rest for that matter.
A kobold will only interrupt the hireling if it isn't already aggroed on you, which won't be the case if you are trying to help the hireling rest.

Sequell
06-19-2011, 11:41 PM
The state of the game is in bad shape when people are asking for a Kobold Assauly Raid IMO! :D

I can't believe there is a thread about such a useless boring quest LOL! :D Very funny though.

jcTharin
06-20-2011, 12:00 AM
right now i see KA as a low level endurance test for newbies, mostly for newbie clerics. its a bit harder when your brand new to the game and you don't even know to bring wands or ardor clickies. its good for newbies to go in, get their butt kicked and try to figure out how to succeed the second time.

go make a brand new cleric, get no wands or devotion items or ardor clickies or wands and go join a pug kobold assault. see if you can make your blue bar last through the entire quest with only one shrine. then imagine some poor newbie doing the same.

NaturalHazard
06-20-2011, 12:30 AM
Yes, that low level quest in the harbor. The gigantic one where you have to kill a thousand kobolds in this gigantic area.

Was it a thousand? EDIT: No, it was two hundred. I haven't played it in forever because it's just not worth playing. Too hard for too little reward. It's something you come back at level 10 for so you can get favor.

Since it's such a big area, I was thinking this might be the perfect quest to introduce people to raids. Maybe make the reward better, too.

wait its hard? been doing it at level on elite plenty of times, its not hard just time consuming. ? :confused: