PDA

View Full Version : Tweaks for a more creepy atmosphere

stille_nacht
06-19-2011, 08:52 PM
alright, i may have misinterpreted this a bit, but i felt like some of the quests in the madness pack was meant to be sort of scary/creepy for the players, and have a dark sort of atmosphere.

yet it is not scary at all. why? because the atmosphere just isnt there. An integral part of scaring a player is raising his or her instinctive "defenses" to a "dangerous" situation

now, i know that many graphical quirks and small hints at depravity and artistical scapes are sort of pointless cost/benefit wise, so i suggest something simpler: just add some tortured human voices. Screaming, moaning, uttered phrases of "kill me please", things that evoke a feeling of human suffering, would turn creepiness up x 20. I think adding sound bites is relatively easily done/added.

Asmodeus451
06-19-2011, 09:06 PM
the problem with this suggestion is that turbine needs to keep this game at a T* rating. (*gameplay experience may change during online play)

adding things that make the game "creepier" or "more disturbing" could at the same time raise the hackles of the ESRB

stille_nacht
06-19-2011, 09:08 PM
the problem with this suggestion is that turbine needs to keep this game at a T* rating. (*gameplay experience may change during online play)

adding things that make the game "creepier" or "more disturbing" could at the same time raise the hackles of the ESRB

ive had plenty of games be creepier than just that and have a T rating :O

GeneralDiomedes
06-19-2011, 09:10 PM
Summon a lantern archon, makes it about 10x creepier.

MartinusWyllt
06-19-2011, 09:23 PM
...uttered phrases of "kill me please"....

I guess if I'm the only one that hears the tortured say this already then I must be hallucinating.

Blank_Zero
06-19-2011, 09:31 PM
I ran the first one in the chain solo, in the dark, with headphones on my first run.

It was plenty creepy