PDA

View Full Version : Is it time for another Server Merge?

SaisMatters
06-16-2011, 12:34 PM
The reason I ask is I have noticed a dramatic decrease in LFM's on the two servers I play on in the last 6 months. Wait times to fill PUG raids is back up dramatically(in what I've seen) Guilds seems to be shrinking and Channel traffic is down.

I also don't see traffic increasing in the next little while with new long awaited games on the horizon including another D+D basd game, and what seems like an eternity for any update with some substance in it.

This is all based on my own observations. I would love to see some data on it, but I know that will never happen.

What has been your observation on server traffic and what do you think about another server merger?

/discuss

joueur
06-16-2011, 12:43 PM
I say no to more lag.

Memnir
06-16-2011, 12:45 PM
No.

lazlow
06-16-2011, 12:50 PM
It is summer for a lot of us....grass to mow white balls and women to chase. Thats whats cut into my play time. Anywho something to consider.

and no.

KillEveryone
06-16-2011, 12:53 PM
I'm planning on getting the finally released Duke Nukem. Will probably take a short break from the game to play that. Been jonseing for that game.

Haven't gotte the new Crysis yet but still want to play that.

Lots of new games worth taking a look at this time around and the developers have swung more toward the PC master race from the console pesents so a lot of PC enthusiasts will be trying to give their rigs a run.

It is summer in North America so a lot of players from this area will be taking time to soak up some sun and make some Vitamin D.

BBQ, beer, grilling, beer, family cookouts, beer.

SaisMatters
06-16-2011, 12:57 PM
It is summer for a lot of us....grass to mow white balls and women to chase. Thats whats cut into my play time. Anywho something to consider.

and no.

I considered it, but as I said i've noticed a drop months ago, it'll only get worse in the summer.

DoctorWhofan
06-16-2011, 12:57 PM
Threads like this seem to start every year around this time. When I see one instance of Korthos, harbor , and marketplace during peak hours for 3 weeks stright...THEN we can talk merging.

Thrudh
06-16-2011, 12:59 PM
What servers are you on?

Thelanis is fine.

QuantumFX
06-16-2011, 01:06 PM
Thelanis is fine.

Sarlona as well.

Veriden
06-16-2011, 01:12 PM
I would say lack of lfms is mostly due to what they've done to guild renown and giving guilds 'levels'.

Quite frankly I would have been cool with guild housing as a guild building on the ground where people could hang out put a few things in there like message boards you can scribble on and what have you. Not the lame flying boats that have blue back drop, I was hoping when guild ships came out you'd fly over storm reach and be able to look down on the city from above..not the lame water that makes it look like you're flying really fast. I'd have to b-slap the captain for taking me that far out over the ocean when all my work is in Stormreach and surrounding regions.

Sadly the new duke nukem game is a bust. So lame...either I've matured or they've been sitting around with their thumbs in there hoo-haaa-s for way too long.

Drallac
06-16-2011, 01:18 PM
thelanis seems pretty good, at peak times, during the day (GMT) 10-5 is fairly quiet but its night time for the rest of the world

Phidius
06-16-2011, 01:23 PM
The reason I ask is I have noticed a dramatic decrease in LFM's on the two servers I play on in the last 6 months. Wait times to fill PUG raids is back up dramatically(in what I've seen) Guilds seems to be shrinking and Channel traffic is down.

I can't speak to guild sizes, as mine hasn't fluctuated since I started it :D

However, I tend to think there are more people playing than show in the LFM. Have you counted the number of people in the WHO tab?

It's my hope that someday Turbine will remove the various aspects of the game that encourage me to solo/short man rather than open up an LFM... but it will take a long time to adjust, so I hope they don't wait until the last minute.

Lerincho
06-16-2011, 01:24 PM
No server merge.

Argonessen has plenty of players on, LFM is not an accurate judge of population. Most people either group with guildies or are in channels for grouping.

DukeCanning8426
06-16-2011, 04:56 PM
There are times of the day where it is going slower.

But as long as I can fill shroud, tod or whatever in less than 10 or even 5 minutes I wouldn't say that ghallanda is empty... actually even the lfm count in social panel looks good.

What servers are you on?

SaisMatters
06-16-2011, 04:58 PM
There are times of the day where it is going slower.

But as long as I can fill shroud, tod or whatever in less than 10 or even 5 minutes I wouldn't say that ghallanda is empty... actually even the lfm count in social panel looks good.

What servers are you on?

argo and orien

Cyr
06-17-2011, 09:07 AM
It's my hope that someday Turbine will remove the various aspects of the game that encourage me to solo/short man rather than open up an LFM... but it will take a long time to adjust, so I hope they don't wait until the last minute.

This echoes my sentiments. Group death penalty and dungeon scaling both serve as strong disincentives to open up a group to pugs.

bkasavan
06-17-2011, 09:13 AM
I have noticed argo to be a little bare, sometimes only 5 or so ads, for all levels/classes. but ive started my groups, and they've been filling quickly. Its just a lot of people arent throwing up lfms.

KoboldKiller
06-17-2011, 09:16 AM
No server merge.

Argonessen has plenty of players on, LFM is not an accurate judge of population. Most people either group with guildies or are in channels for grouping.

^This^

There were 3 instances in the harbor 2 nights ago and 5 in the MP. I'd say that is a good indication there is a fairly large population.

Gkar
06-17-2011, 09:16 AM
What servers are you on?

Thelanis is fine.

By his sig, one is Argo...and I haven't had any grouping problems and often see multiple instances of public spaces.

I have noticed argo to be a little bare, sometimes only 5 or so ads, for all levels/classes. but ive started my groups, and they've been filling quickly. Its just a lot of people arent throwing up lfms.

Yup. Lots of vets just group with friends, lots of new players seem to be afraid to start LFMs but will join if something is posted.

Drwaz99
06-17-2011, 09:17 AM
Kiddos are out of school, the weather is nice (well here, no floods or tornadoes, but those areas should be concentrating on more serious pressing issues) and if I ever got off my lazy butt, I almost never have a problem finding a group either via Channel, guild, or Pug.

Chai
06-17-2011, 09:20 AM
Um no.

We see "server full" messages in peak hours when trying to log on. The LFMs not filling are not necessarily a sign of lower population. Its a sign that less people are pugging, which doesnt surprise me since talk of low PUG quality is not uncommon.

mystafyi
06-17-2011, 09:26 AM
remove dungeon scaling and folks might group more. horrible design mechanic that encourages non-mmo behavior.

remove group xp penalty upon death and apply it the person that died and folks might group more. this also encourages tr's to shortman, run with exclusive folks or solo.

change epic scroll drops so that when a mob is killed every person in group gets a 1% chance to get a scroll(yes this will mean more scroll drops overall). as it is now, you get a 1% chance to drop a scroll/per mob killed and then a 16.6% chance you will get it if you are in a 6 man group. this encourages solo scroll farming

Impaqt
06-17-2011, 09:29 AM
No. Its summer time. Many people go outside this time of year and simply dont play as much.

We are also suffering through yet another update without any real end game content and another is in the near future....

Hopefully Mod 11 will bring some excitement back to the game for end game players.

Gkar
06-17-2011, 09:30 AM
remove dungeon scaling and folks might group more. horrible design mechanic that encourages non-mmo behavior.

remove group xp penalty upon death and apply it the person that died and folks might group more. this also encourages tr's to shortman, run with exclusive folks or solo.

Both good points. It was obvious from the start both of those changes were going to hurt grouping, and they have.

I really do prefer to group, but have been frustrated by the fact its many times harder to group at low level than solo so now I almost never put up an LFM.

KoboldKiller
06-17-2011, 09:32 AM
I'm not sure why others are having an issue.

I PUG all the time, rarely have an issue filling groups, and for the most part it goes fairly smooth.

I think the "PUGs are bad" mentality may be getting a bit overblown.

toastjeff
06-17-2011, 09:35 AM
Echoing what others have said.

With dungeon scaling and xp bonuses for not dying, experience has shown it is much easier to take my TR and has past lives full of gear and solo or shortman with people I know and trust than to trust random pugs. I only hit lfm's for raids and never post them any more.

With a lot of people not even bothering with them any more, using lfm's as a sign of server population is not as accurate as it once may have been.

Lerincho
06-17-2011, 09:39 AM
I'm not sure why others are having an issue.

I PUG all the time, rarely have an issue filling groups, and for the most part it goes fairly smooth.

Nah, PUGS aren't bad. they have their moments, but you can meet some great people in this game that you can have fun with, yes even you KK.

Personally, I pay no attention the the LFM panel anymore from the simple stand point that I am in groups with only family, friends and co-workers so grouping is never a problem. I solo when they are not on. Biggest problem for me is still the irritation of the blind invite or the incesent spamming of general chat for groups. Perhaps if some of the new players learned the meaning of the LFM and how to post one properly you would see more LFMs and groups filling faster.

KoboldKiller
06-17-2011, 09:41 AM
nah, Pugs Aren't Bad. They Have Their Moments, But You Can Meet Some Great People In This Game That You Can Have Fun With, Yes Even You Kk.

Personally, I Pay No Attention The The Lfm Panel Anymore From The Simple Stand Point That I Am In Groups With Only Family, Friends And Co-workers So Grouping Is Never A Problem. I Solo When They Are Not On. Biggest Problem For Me Is Still The Irritation Of The Blind Invite Or The Incesent Spamming Of General Chat For Groups. Perhaps If Some Of The New Players Learned The Meaning Of The Lfm And How To Post One Properly You Would See More Lfms And Groups Filling Faster.

Lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:D

toastjeff
06-17-2011, 09:41 AM

I don't think it's "PUGs are bad" it's "PUGs are harder" or "PUGs aren't worth the trouble", especially at low levels. "Kobold's New Ringleader" or "Stealthy Repossession" take only a minute or two to complete with dungeon scaling and the experience of having run it so many times. Why bother taking five unknown quantities along with you? Dungeon scaling makes the quest harder, and you might be with five people who have never set foot inside there before (and there is absolutely nothing wrong with it being your first time). Sometimes I don't mind teaching and leading. Sometimes I want to blow through the first five or six levels as quickly as possible.

Doganpc
06-17-2011, 04:04 PM
IMO, Pugs are *Blank* coupled with Guild Preference. Why put up an LFM when you can fill a PUG right from your guild chat? The only people who lose are the small guilds.

Dogan
Leader of a very small guild.

mournbladereigns
06-17-2011, 04:11 PM
No Thanks, my server has enough Lag. No need to double it!

varusso
06-17-2011, 04:12 PM
Lots of points I was going to bring up, already done :D

There is also the big one: laziness. No one wants to be the guy who puts together the party. That means having to pick the quest, sift through incoming requests to build the 'right' party, dealing with any drama that comes with BEING in a party...Folks just browse the LFM looking for something good, and when it pops up, everyone pounces on it and its gone in seconds.

Then add in all the over-level toons running favor, or the guild/trade/altar invite spam and the LFM is a cesspool.

Argo, BTW :D

NaturalHazard
06-17-2011, 04:15 PM
which server would you least want to see your server merging with?

um nah let be change the question a bit

if you had no choice your server had to merge with another which server would you choose to merge with?

NaturalHazard
06-17-2011, 04:16 PM
Lots of points I was going to bring up, already done :D

There is also the big one: laziness. No one wants to be the guy who puts together the party. That means having to pick the quest, sift through incoming requests to build the 'right' party, dealing with any drama that comes with BEING in a party...Folks just browse the LFM looking for something good, and when it pops up, everyone pounces on it and its gone in seconds.

Then add in all the over-level toons running favor, or the guild/trade/altar invite spam and the LFM is a cesspool.

Argo, BTW :D

sometimes this is true, often I wait ages for a Ecrono or even to TOD lfm to go up, then I put one up, and wham im flooded with requests.

I dont like leading it, can be stressful, but hey if you want those rings or those shards seals you got to try.

Battlehawke
06-17-2011, 04:37 PM
A few months ago people were asking for a new server... Its Summertime is the biggest reason. Also a few MMOs just went FTP....

SiliconShadow
06-17-2011, 04:51 PM
Everyone would merge with Khyber to lighten up thier boring dull server lives with real DRAMA :D!

Habreno
06-17-2011, 05:12 PM
Everyone would merge with Khyber to lighten up thier boring dull server lives with real DRAMA :D!

Don't you mean Argo?

DoctorWhofan
06-17-2011, 07:23 PM
Nah, PUGS aren't bad. they have their moments, but you can meet some great people in this game that you can have fun with, yes even you KK.

Personally, I pay no attention the the LFM panel anymore from the simple stand point that I am in groups with only family, friends and co-workers so grouping is never a problem. I solo when they are not on. Biggest problem for me is still the irritation of the blind invite or the incesent spamming of general chat for groups. Perhaps if some of the new players learned the meaning of the LFM and how to post one properly you would see more LFMs and groups filling faster.

I heart PuGs!

DoctorWhofan
06-17-2011, 07:24 PM
which server would you least want to see your server merging with?

um nah let be change the question a bit

if you had no choice your server had to merge with another which server would you choose to merge with?

None. We are still trying to merge with Thelanis and Xoriat from the LAST server merge....:p

Stupid butterflies!!!

Kza
06-17-2011, 07:26 PM
?

On Khyber its lots and lots of Lfms. This server more active than ever atleast :-)

Dilbon
06-17-2011, 07:33 PM
Summer does not affect the population that much. Those who play keep playing no matter what.

Vellrad
06-17-2011, 08:06 PM
1. Go to G-land
2. Roll a self sufficient toon
3. ???
4. Profit.

(I think Ghallanda got least problems with pugs, because US players are there, and all Euros was trasported here, so there is always someone on).

lugoman
06-17-2011, 09:36 PM
No server merge.

That is your belief. It may be true for the people you know but may not be true for the majority of the server population. If you group with the same people and have an extensive friends list than your gaming experience wont change. If you are a new player relying on pugs to level you might have a different view.

Lerincho
06-17-2011, 09:44 PM
That is your belief. It may be true for the people you know but may not be true for the majority of the server population. If you group with the same people and have an extensive friends list than your gaming experience wont change. If you are a new player relying on pugs to level you might have a different view.

Hence, Turbine should have better instruction on the LFM instead of new players spamming general chat like this was runescape. If you are having problem finding groups there could be many reasons, some dealing with you, some dealing with the part leaders.

NaturalHazard
06-17-2011, 09:45 PM

change epic scroll drops so that when a mob is killed every person in group gets a 1% chance to get a scroll(yes this will mean more scroll drops overall). as it is now, you get a 1% chance to drop a scroll/per mob killed and then a 16.6% chance you will get it if you are in a 6 man group. this encourages solo scroll farming

I like all your suggestions especially the epic scroll drops, maybe then I would actually get a scroll? even if its for the phiarlan mirror cloak or something lol.

ImWithTheBand
06-17-2011, 10:15 PM

No to this. Dungeon scaling is what helps prevent that horrible "waiting for full group" syndrome so prevalent in some other MMOs.

Yes to this. It would be nice to see more individual bonuses/penalties in dungeon XP.

FranOhmsford
06-17-2011, 10:34 PM
A suggestion: Why not change scaling so that respawns don't appear in solo and gradually appear more often up to full party rather than the way things are at the moment.

Soloing can be a serious chore with respawns every 2 seconds giving you no time to clear your head, wand whip, drink pots.

In other ways soloing difficulty would be no different than being in a full party; just no respawns.

An alternative suggestion: reduce respawns for full groups.

This would give people an incentive to group rather than solo - Those who enjoy soloing like myself would still solo a lot but would be more likely to join a group than they currently are.

For me respawns is something I just don't agree with {Loses immersion in the game}.

sirgog
06-17-2011, 11:13 PM
This echoes my sentiments. Group death penalty and dungeon scaling both serve as strong disincentives to open up a group to pugs.

/this.

1-10 I only PUG for a few quests.

Especially if you take feats that are ridiculously good at low level and swap them out later (thinking mainly of Cleave), solo you can run, quaff Haste potions for the run speed, one-shot almost every non-boss, Cleave large packs of mobs, and keep running.

In a full group, Cleave is no longer an 'AoE everything dies unless you roll a 1'. And not everyone has Haste potions in a PUG.

Stealthdog
06-17-2011, 11:23 PM
argo and orien

What times are you on? At any given time I see anywhere between 15-30 LFMs on Orien.

TEcarson
06-18-2011, 07:04 AM
I'm planning on getting the finally released Duke Nukem. Will probably take a short break from the game to play that. Been jonseing for that game.

Please report back here with a review. I am still trying to decide whether or not to get the new Duke.