PDA

View Full Version : Paladin Attack Bonus? Hit chance? Halp!

PointyRhiana
06-14-2011, 10:51 AM
First, I play a Two Weapon Drow Paladin. I also fail to understand most of the D&D rules, though I can do the basic math for damage :D

So I need help clarifying something.

In the inventory, in the Details panel, the "Bonus" is the one that shows me the hit chance, right? I attack, the 20-sided die is rolled, and the Bonus number there is added... then I hit or not, based on the target's AC?

Should that bonus change randomly? Does it vary based on enemy? For a couple of hours, with no gear changes or buffs, it went from +19/+17 to +9/+7, +14/+13, while standing still.

Sorry if this is something really obvious that I missed somewhere and the question annoys you...

SableShadow
06-14-2011, 10:55 AM
How to Hit Things (http://ddowiki.com/page/How_to_Hit_Things)

Trillea
06-14-2011, 10:56 AM
Not annoying at all. What you are seeing is the attack progression. Your STR bonus, plus your Base Attack Bonus, plus the weapon enchantment level, plus possibly other outside buffs or maybe penalties give you your total attack bonus. This will be your attack bonus for your first 2 attacks in an attack chain. Your third attack in the chain is at +5 compared to the first 2 attacks, and your 4th attack is at +10 compared to the first 2.

So what you are seeing is completely normal, albeit confusing if you are not expecting it.

elraido
06-14-2011, 10:57 AM
First, I play a Two Weapon Drow Paladin. I also fail to understand most of the D&D rules, though I can do the basic math for damage :D

So I need help clarifying something.

In the inventory, in the Details panel, the "Bonus" is the one that shows me the hit chance, right? I attack, the 20-sided die is rolled, and the Bonus number there is added... then I hit or not, based on the target's AC?

Should that bonus change randomly? Does it vary based on enemy? For a couple of hours, with no gear changes or buffs, it went from +19/+17 to +9/+7, +14/+13, while standing still.

Sorry if this is something really obvious that I missed somewhere and the question annoys you...

It also has to do with how many swings/attack you get. THat depends on your level. In PnP, the higher the level you are the more attacks per round you get. For a fighter it normally was like this. +15 first swing, +10 second swing, +5 third swing. That would have been all in one "attack sequence", before the enemy could do anything. Say you had a +3 weapon it would have been up to +18, +13, +8. When you are TWF it changes a little bit. You get that off hand attack as well for an extra swing or two in there. DDO changed it up a little bit as to how this exactly works, but for the most part they are the same. So the attacks you saw standing still were most likely your three attacks with your off hand attacks.

PointyRhiana
06-14-2011, 10:59 AM
How to Hit Things (http://ddowiki.com/page/How_to_Hit_Things)

Thank you. I did a couple searches on the wiki, but apparently didn't get the right phrase, since that wasn't in results.

Not annoying at all. What you are seeing is the attack progression. Your STR bonus, plus your Base Attack Bonus, plus the weapon enchantment level, plus possibly other outside buffs or maybe penalties give you your total attack bonus. This will be your attack bonus for your first 2 attacks in an attack chain. Your third attack in the chain is at +5 compared to the first 2 attacks, and your 4th attack is at +10 compared to the first 2.

So what you are seeing is completely normal, albeit confusing if you are not expecting it.

Awesome, thanks :D

karnokvolrath
06-14-2011, 11:03 AM

+1 solid answer.

To The OP, i love when new people come with a good question that they are unsure about and get a good answer from someone well informed. The /advice channel can be missleading at times.

When i first came to this game i had the same issue, i was an old 2nd edition pnper so i was used to the same attack rolls and couldnt understand how or why they did it.

In super basic terms with zero mechanics, a friend told me to think of it as your "closing the gap or figuring out your opponents weakness" so every swing gets better. OF course thats not totally true, because it resets after a few swings, lol, but you get the idea.

For the Reall answer see Tril :)

PointyRhiana
06-14-2011, 11:21 AM
+1 solid answer.

To The OP, i love when new people come with a good question that they are unsure about and get a good answer from someone well informed. The /advice channel can be missleading at times.

Yeah, the DDO forum community is one of the best I've seen :D