PDA

View Full Version : Rogue How High? Spot & Open Lock

t0pazdrag0n
06-14-2011, 06:33 AM
I'm considering which skills to continue putting ranks into. How high should I get my open lock before I'm already pretty sure to open everything I can?

Same thing with spot. I'm a little bit "no - spoiler" so I want to put ranks into it, however I'm not sure which bonus is going to be high enough and I feel that more ranks may be wasted.

Any suggestions?

BOgre
06-14-2011, 06:45 AM
You should be able to put max ranks into all your 'rogish' skills, without any real sacrifices. That is, unless you're going to put ranks into crazy flavor skills like jump, tumble, and swim, well, there's no reason not to max out the skills your class is made for.
A thread I was reading yesterday happened to link this page on the wiki, I'd guess it's relevant here... check out pretty much everything over level 13. some pretty high DCs there...

DDO info project (http://ddowiki.com/page/DDO_information_project/Spot_and_Search)

Ironforge_Clan
06-14-2011, 07:03 AM
Try this

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Is_my_%28insert_rogue_skill%29_high_enough

Dilbon
06-14-2011, 08:49 AM
You need something like 50+ spot to see epic traps. My rogue's 48 didn't work, but 52 with GH did.

fluffybunnywilson
06-14-2011, 08:51 AM
You can open every lock in the game with 4 ranks of Open Locks.

More ranks of Open Locks will mean that you can open them faster because you will succeed on a broader portion of your d20.

zwiebelring
06-14-2011, 09:19 AM
I'm considering which skills to continue putting ranks into. How high should I get my open lock before I'm already pretty sure to open everything I can?

Same thing with spot. I'm a little bit "no - spoiler" so I want to put ranks into it, however I'm not sure which bonus is going to be high enough and I feel that more ranks may be wasted.

Any suggestions?

4 ranks in OL may be enough for every door, but for pugging you might have more to succeed faster (10 or 11 maybe?).

Search is most critical so you should max. it. Take the all known A Cabal For One trap as benchmark. If you cannot find it on elite, you Search is too low.

Disable Device should be max.ed to prevent exploding panels but it can be ditched a bit. But again, take cabal trap as benchmark.

If you know most content very well you can ignore Spot totally but yeah, easier with it of course. Otherwise Spot DC is 2xquestlevel +3 iirc.

Disclaimer:
I read most of stuff mentioned above written here hidden in several threads, there is even one which gives exact DC numbers for high end Disable Device/Search/Spot score but it is strange I cannot find it in my bookmarks. Maybe I'll find later and add a link.