PDA

View Full Version : how i make my fighter to do more crit damage

blackdrowarcanenuts
06-13-2011, 10:04 PM
how i make my fighter to more crit damage currently at level 4 dwarf fighter 32 points any suggestions

Therigar
06-13-2011, 10:16 PM
Critical damage is most affected by the crit range and the crit multiplier. But, increasing the base damage being done before damage is calculated is the best way to increase total damage -- including critical damage.

Let's say you are using a dwarven axe with a 20/x3 crit profile. Making that keen increases the threat to 19-20/x3. So you get more criticals and do more crit damage.

To increase the size of the numbers you see when you crit you need to increase the base damage that is being multiplied.

With 18 STR you are getting +4 to damage. Multiply that x3 and your crits do 12 extra damage.

If you can somehow increase the +4 to +12 your crits jump to 36 extra damage.

Things that increase the base damage:

More STR, including temporary boosts from rage.
Damage boosts like from the dwarven axe enhancements.
Higher weapon bonuses.
Seeker bonuses.

You might also consider weapons that give bigger crit multipliers. Heavy picks, for example, have the same crit on 20 as dwarven axes but have a x4 multiplier.

Edit:

I'll note that at L4 your highest probable STR is 22 with the best of gear and your highest weapon bonus is +4 if you've got something race restricted and you almost certainly won't have a seeker item. That is still a +10 boost to damage (+30 on x3 dwarven axes or +40 on x4 heavy picks). You can also switch to two-handed weapons which double your STR bonuses on crits. But mostly you'll see things pick up as your STR and weapons improve.

Grenada
06-13-2011, 10:19 PM
Strength item. (strength bonus gets added in before multiplier is added)
Seeker items: add +2 or more to confirm critical hits, and also the same amount to damage (before multiplier)
Weapons: what your using determines the critical multiplier amount. (picks: X4, for example)

blackdrowarcanenuts
06-13-2011, 10:26 PM
Critical damage is most affected by the crit range and the crit multiplier. But, increasing the base damage being done before damage is calculated is the best way to increase total damage -- including critical damage.

Let's say you are using a dwarven axe with a 20/x3 crit profile. Making that keen increases the threat to 19-20/x3. So you get more criticals and do more crit damage.

To increase the size of the numbers you see when you crit you need to increase the base damage that is being multiplied.

With 18 STR you are getting +4 to damage. Multiply that x3 and your crits do 12 extra damage.

If you can somehow increase the +4 to +12 your crits jump to 36 extra damage.

Things that increase the base damage:

More STR, including temporary boosts from rage.
Damage boosts like from the dwarven axe enhancements.
Higher weapon bonuses.
Seeker bonuses.

You might also consider weapons that give bigger crit multipliers. Heavy picks, for example, have the same crit on 20 as dwarven axes but have a x4 multiplier.

i use only great axes a two handed fighter here

Grenada
06-13-2011, 10:36 PM
i use only great axes a two handed fighter here

Then find seeker items, get weapon specialization (and all the enhancements for greataxe), and as high an enhancement bonus greataxe as you can (as in a +5 greataxe, etc.)
Also consider burst effects, because the burst does extra damage on criticals.

Edit: also strength boosting items, pots, airship buffs, and other temporary boosts
(the temporary stuff will become more available at higher levels, so don't worry about it now, worry about it in 10 or so levels)

Kinerd
06-14-2011, 05:21 PM
If you want the biggest criticals, you want a THF Paladin.

If you want to do high overall damage, all you need is to be any melee class and take your DPS Prestige Enhancement - in your case, Kensei. Big criticals are unrelated to overall damage, as can be demonstrated with the scimitar vs. the dwarven axe.

On a roll of 1, both weapons miss.
On rolls 2 through 14, both weapons do base damage.
On rolls 15 through 18, the scimitar does double damage while the dwarven axe does base damage. Hence, the scimitar gains (2 - 1) * 4 = 4 times base damage.
On rolls 19 and 20, the scimitar does double damage while the dwarven axe does triple damage. Hence, the dwarven axe gains (3 - 2) * 2 = 2 times base damage.

Overall, the scimitar is ahead 2 times base damage. Even though it does smaller crits, it does them so much more often that you do more damage in the end. (There are quite a few intricacies not elaborated on here, but this should give you the general idea to start with.)

Balkas
06-14-2011, 05:34 PM
Do you have Power Attack?

Therigar
06-14-2011, 06:07 PM
Big criticals are unrelated to overall damage, as can be demonstrated with the scimitar vs. the dwarven axe.

This is somewhat misleading.

A character with 30 STR using a +5 scimitar gets 1d6 + 15 damage on a normal hit and (1d6 +15) * 2 on a critical. The common approach is to accept all weapons miss on 1 and hit on 2-20. Kinerd also assumed that you have improved critical for double threat range.

In this example the scimitar has 1 miss for 0, 13 hits averaging 18.5 and 6 hits averaging 37 for overall damage of 462.5 -- or 23.125 points of damage per swing.

By contrast a 30 STR character using a +5 dwarven axe gets 1d10 + 15 on a normal hit and (1d10 + 15) * 3 on a critical. That works out to 1 miss for 0, 17 hits averaging 20.5 and 2 hits averaging 61.5 for overall damage of 471.5 -- or 23.575 points of damage per swing.

Here you can see that the weapon with the bigger crit number also gives the most overall damage.

At the heart of this is a relatively easy to understand mechanic where the larger the bonus (the +15 part) the more threat range (the 6 crits vs 2 crits) affects total damage. What this shows is that there is a direct relationship between the number of crits and total damage.

Meanwhile, total damage continues to grow with large crits but at a slower rate. That is, there is also a direct relationship between the size of the critical and total damage.

But, when comparing two weapons with different crit profiles the one with the larger threat range gives more damage if the bonus is large enough.

Basically, high bonus then use high threat range weapons -- but, low bonus use high multiplier weapons.

Note, this answers the issue of overall damage but doesn't address how do you get big critical numbers. In our example you will always get a bigger critical number with the dwarven axe even if your total damage falls behind the scimitar.

And, in OP's specific case this can be modified to THF weapons and we can look at greataxe vs falchion. Greataxe will always proc bigger critical numbers but if the bonus number gets high enough falchion will always proc more total damage.

Interestingly, because of named weapons, the ultimate for both damage and crit numbers is the greatsword if you have an epic Sword of Shadows. I say interestingly because except for this weapon greatswords don't belong in the discussion on either end of the spectrum (most critical damage or most overall damage).

Therigar
06-14-2011, 06:10 PM
Do you have Power Attack?

At L4 power attack may proc bigger crits but will also cause many more misses. A good feat but probably too early to be useful.

Astraghal
06-14-2011, 06:13 PM
http://itemwiki.cubicleninja.com/images/items/item_895.png

wootvenu
06-14-2011, 06:13 PM
Improved critical feat,powerattack, High strength items, boosts, higher Seeker weapon/item for confirm critical hits (bloodstone helps), better weapons.

Therigar
06-14-2011, 06:23 PM
http://itemwiki.cubicleninja.com/images/items/item_895.png

This weapon is so good that I continue to use it on my L12 fighter even though I have a full array of other named axes. The double-keen effect just makes it fun to use even when other weapons are theoretically better.