PDA

View Full Version : fix death pact

samdsherman
06-12-2011, 11:44 PM
why does this spell automatically raise you when you die in a trap? who could possibly think that's a good idea?

ceiswyn
06-13-2011, 06:44 AM
/signed. Oh so very /signed.

I've entirely stopped using Death Pact on my clerics for just this reason; insta-raising raises you back into the situation that just killed you, and you inevitably die again before you can even heal up. Every. Single. Time.

Back when Death Pact acted exactly like a normal Raise - in that you could run somewhere sensible before accepting it - it was worth the cost in Con. Now... let's put it this way. If there was such a thing as a 'chocolate teapot' spell, I'd memorise that before I memmed Death Pact. That's how useful it is in its current incarnation.

boomeranky
06-13-2011, 10:46 AM
Funny fact... if i use death pact in shroud part 4 or tod part 1 and are unlucky (or nooby :p) enough to get killed (still happens at times...) i get kicked into penalty box with the window up if i want to accept the raise....
So basically the dialog is still there, but some script autoaccepts it in normal circumstances.

I really wish it would work there (divine intervention does work at least in these places... i tend to forget to use it sometimes though)

Raoull
06-13-2011, 10:59 AM
Umm.... it works just fine vs everything but traps. Honestly, I've never even noticed the trap issue, but being a clonk traps are less dangerous than they are to straight clerics.

I don't think it will be changed. I think people were using it to run through traps and raise on the other side, and they decided that Death pact should be a "do over" button... it should not be a "do something (get through vicious trap) that I cannot do otherwise" button.

I still love the spell and use it constantly.

ceiswyn
06-14-2011, 02:26 AM
Umm.... it works just fine vs everything but traps.

And large numbers of mobs. And enemy firewalls.

If the source of damage that killed you is still there when you stand back up, you're just toast again; and that's the case in a lot of situations. Put Death Pact up in, say, eADQ and see how far it gets you (not to mention that you're more likely to die in the first place because of the Con reduction).

If they wanted to prevent the raise-on-the-other-side-of-the-trap issue, they could always change it to something a bit more like Divine Intervention (but keeping the Con cost). That at least gives a chance of someone else healing you up before you get hit-and-killed again.

Raoull
06-15-2011, 09:46 AM
And large numbers of mobs. And enemy firewalls.

If the source of damage that killed you is still there when you stand back up, you're just toast again; and that's the case in a lot of situations. Put Death Pact up in, say, eADQ and see how far it gets you (not to mention that you're more likely to die in the first place because of the Con reduction).

If they wanted to prevent the raise-on-the-other-side-of-the-trap issue, they could always change it to something a bit more like Divine Intervention (but keeping the Con cost). That at least gives a chance of someone else healing you up before you get hit-and-killed again.

I'm confused....

When I die from Death Pact, I get a "Do you want to accept a raise from Kalener?" box. When I solo DQ, I use that opportunity to jump off the ledge to head for a safe spot to rebuff.

From the complaints about traps, I've been assuming that traps behave differently, and death from trap instantly raises you.

But from your statement.... it sounds more like my experience is simply unusual, and for most people, it just raises them instantly.

ceiswyn
06-15-2011, 10:13 AM
But from your statement.... it sounds more like my experience is simply unusual, and for most people, it just raises them instantly.

The way you describe it is the way it always used to work. The last few times I tried casting it, however, it just instantly raised me into the middle of the situation that just killed me.

I haven't used it for a bit, though; I'll have to try it next time I'm on my cleric and see if it's changed back again.

If it's working differently for different people that sounds like a bug, and I'd like to know which is WAI...

boomeranky
06-16-2011, 04:20 AM
If it's working differently for different people that sounds like a bug, and I'd like to know which is WAI...

As mentioned before, I have seen both behaviours of death pact on my cleric. Now that more people mention it - could it been changed with some of the last hotfixes/updates? Should test it later....

Originally I thought that in areas with penalty boxes only the dialog comes up without any effect (as you cant be raised normally in penalty boxes) while in normal areas it just raises you ... will try to remember to update this post after testing.

Xalxika
06-16-2011, 04:38 AM
Anyone else annoyed that after it goes off and you leave a quest (say farming) and you go to the tavern, spend a minute getting sp back with a drink, and you can't recast the spell because the tavern doesn't remove the con damage and post effect of the spell? I find it infinitely annoying that if I leave a quest without finishing, I HAVE to step into a quest and use a shrine to remove the after effects.

boomeranky
06-16-2011, 06:09 AM
Anyone else annoyed that after it goes off and you leave a quest (say farming) and you go to the tavern, spend a minute getting sp back with a drink, and you can't recast the spell because the tavern doesn't remove the con damage and post effect of the spell? I find it infinitely annoying that if I leave a quest without finishing, I HAVE to step into a quest and use a shrine to remove the after effects.

Something like a dismiss charm button? Sounds like a nice idea to me...

Btw just tested death pact on battlefield, and indeed currently the dialog comes up, so no auto raise dead... if some dev stumbles over this thread could you please give us a heads up what behaviour would be "WAI"?

I see both variations as useful - the main use for me with this spell is, when i don't want to be thrown in a penalty box while the party needs my healing, and this use is broken now. While on the other side you definitely don't want to be rezzed inside a trapped area...

*edit* Also there is no mentioning of any change for deathpact to be found in the changelog of u9.1 or u9?

masterzzan
06-16-2011, 05:32 PM
i think maybe,just maybe this has to do with the normal : ' you are dead, do you want to go to your spirit binder" sign every one see when they normally die. there is a check box there that says, don't show me this again. maybe all the guys that don't get a window : "do you want to be raised" are the one that checked normal death window. and the 2 are linked. so, "don't show me normal death window" = "don't show me death pack window". and the guys saying they still get a window that ask them do have the window box unchecked.

Waylayer
06-16-2011, 05:42 PM
i think maybe,just maybe this has to do with the normal : ' you are dead, do you want to go to your spirit binder" sign every one see when they normally die. there is a check box there that says, don't show me this again. maybe all the guys that don't get a window : "do you want to be raised" are the one that checked normal death window. and the 2 are linked. so, "don't show me normal death window" = "don't show me death pack window". and the guys saying they still get a window that ask them do have the window box unchecked.

If you are talking about the ginormous popup that you get the first time that you die, then that probably isn't the culprit. I always check the "never show me this again" box, and on my last run through DA - Death pact asked me if I wanted to rez.