PDA

View Full Version : mechanic 1 rest... ???

zex95966
06-12-2011, 04:02 PM
I'm going to try to roll a mechanic, I've heard that the warforged can heal themselves with it, so that's neat...

I don't see much value in going mechanic 2, so I think I'll take the rest in something else, the question is what?

I'm thinking:

Barbarian gives me some more survivability and damage, and also if the repairing works on yourself, it might counteract frenzy... which would be pretty neat.

tempest 2 works well I think too.

I don't think any caster classes would work well... kersnaps bard warchanter?

Kourier
06-12-2011, 04:36 PM
I'm a fan of the 14 rogue / 6 rogue split, which has great synergy in the extra sneak attack that rogue and rogue get, which stacks, and also the unique capstone that only this combination of classes gets. 18 rogue / 2 rogue or 12 rogue / 6 rogue / 2 rogue are also acceptable.

Edit: This assumes you're going ranged with repeaters. I'm not sure why else you'd go mechanic because reconstruct scrolls are definitely better than repair construct.

baddax
06-12-2011, 04:49 PM
I'm a fan of the 14 rogue / 6 rogue split, which has great synergy in the extra sneak attack that rogue and rogue get, which stacks, and also the unique capstone that only this combination of classes gets. 18 rogue / 2 rogue or 12 rogue / 6 rogue / 2 rogue are also acceptable.

Edit: This assumes you're going ranged with repeaters. I'm not sure why else you'd go mechanic because reconstruct scrolls are definitely better than repair construct.

?? after reading this my head hurtz.

zex95966
06-12-2011, 04:54 PM

lol I think they meant ranger.
mutliclassing my rogue to rogue, is something I never thought of before, the synergy is freaking awesome.

Kourier
06-12-2011, 05:08 PM

I'm saying you should go rogue :D for the sneak attack, you know.

Eleia
06-12-2011, 05:08 PM
Tbh, if you're looking for wf self healing, just make a wizard or sorcerer. They have the repair line, and will give you the best wf self heals.

Then, if you still want to splash rogue, you can do the 18 wiz/2 rogue for dd.

Hobgoblin
06-12-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm saying you should go rogue :D for the sneak attack, you know.

nonsense. you splash rogue with rogue for the evasion noob!

Micron
06-12-2011, 05:33 PM
If you go mechanic, you'll probably be using repeaters (if you're not planning to use repeaters, there is no reason to go mechanic).
Repeaters do poor base damage, even if you have decent Intelligence (which you should if you go mechanic as it increases your dmg). Therefore you want to do as much sneak attack damage as possible and, ideally, take Improved Precise Shot so you can deal sneak attack damage to multiple foes at once.

Barbarian adds nothing to a repeater using mechanic build. It doesn't improve your damage or do anything useful. Neither does Tempest. If you really want to splash, you could go repeater kensei I suppose, to improve your base damage and get extra fighter feats. But honestly, imo you're best off going pure rogue and taking the sneak damage capstone.

Mechanic II gives you free heavy repeater proficiency so if you're taking at least 12 rog levels, there's no reason not to take it.

By the way, the wf repair ability isn't all that exciting. 2d3 every 2 secs for 30 secs. Once you reach a decent UMD score, you'll be able to use repair serious damage wands or Reconstruct scrolls and self heal much faster anyway.

zex95966
06-12-2011, 08:44 PM
If you go mechanic, you'll probably be using repeaters (if you're not planning to use repeaters, there is no reason to go mechanic).
Repeaters do poor base damage, even if you have decent Intelligence (which you should if you go mechanic as it increases your dmg). Therefore you want to do as much sneak attack damage as possible and, ideally, take Improved Precise Shot so you can deal sneak attack damage to multiple foes at once.

Barbarian adds nothing to a repeater using mechanic build. It doesn't improve your damage or do anything useful. Neither does Tempest. If you really want to splash, you could go repeater kensei I suppose, to improve your base damage and get extra fighter feats. But honestly, imo you're best off going pure rogue and taking the sneak damage capstone.

Mechanic II gives you free heavy repeater proficiency so if you're taking at least 12 rog levels, there's no reason not to take it.

By the way, the wf repair ability isn't all that exciting. 2d3 every 2 secs for 30 secs. Once you reach a decent UMD score, you'll be able to use repair serious damage wands or Reconstruct scrolls and self heal much faster anyway.

Eh... I didn't realize that int was needed.... that sucks, seeing as how you can't have high dex (twf), con (hp), str (melee damage), and int (crossbow damage) all at the same time, unless of course you've TR'ed 22 times.

that kinda kills it for me, sneak damage is worthless for range anyways...

if the repair can happen similar to any action boost, then it's a lot better than a scroll imo. you can use it in the thick of battle. I'm not pro enough to jump while switching to a scroll, while retreating, while switching back to the weapon slots, and remembering to blink and breathe so that my eyes don't dry up and I pass out yet.

Well I suppose I could abandon twf and use a 2 hander... lol.

That's not to say that I dont do all of the above despite my proficiency at it anyways. I just suck at it.

Symar-FangofLloth
06-12-2011, 08:53 PM
The repair takes a moment to activate. You go through the trap disabling animation to do it.
And it eats up your skill boosts, so you likely won't have more than 5 uses of it per rest, for a whopping 150d3 hp over 2.5 minutes, not counting activation times. While that does average to 300, which I suppose is half decent, it takes quite a while.

zex95966
06-12-2011, 09:24 PM
The repair takes a moment to activate. You go through the trap disabling animation to do it.
And it eats up your skill boosts, so you likely won't have more than 5 uses of it per rest, for a whopping 150d3 hp over 2.5 minutes, not counting activation times. While that does average to 300, which I suppose is half decent, it takes quite a while.

that's what I was afraid of... pretty lame mechanics.
question is, do I mean mechanics are lame? or do I mean the way it works is lame?

FuzzyDuck81
06-13-2011, 01:56 AM
I've been working on a 13 rogue/6 ranger/1 fighter, with mechanic & deepwood sniper for the extended sneak attack range which is making a noticeable difference (up to i2wf free is also nice, plus wand proficiencies is a big help until umd gets to a decent level). Should be interesting once i get IPS too.

andbr22
06-13-2011, 02:27 AM
7 Rog (Mech) / 12 Ran (DwS) / 1 Mon
Nothing too exiting but should work:
- 12 Ranger gives second tier of Pre (if they ever make it), DWS gives snipe shoot and most ranged/melee feats, and some spell casting. Also DwS increase your sneak range.
- 7 Rogue - gives another tier of sneak attack
- 1 Monk - Is additional feat (and next big boost to your reflex save)

For Stats: max Dex and Int.
For equipment: Repeaters (you can consider carrying bow -> many shoot is nice (but changing ammo can be annoying, as you cannot auto exchange quilvers)), nat gann staff, 2 Midnight greetings (at endgame epic Midnight Greetings).

Micron
06-13-2011, 03:03 AM
Eh... I didn't realize that int was needed.... that sucks, seeing as how you can't have high dex (twf), con (hp), str (melee damage), and int (crossbow damage) all at the same time, unless of course you've TR'ed 22 times.

that kinda kills it for me, sneak damage is worthless for range anyways...

if the repair can happen similar to any action boost, then it's a lot better than a scroll imo. you can use it in the thick of battle. I'm not pro enough to jump while switching to a scroll, while retreating, while switching back to the weapon slots, and remembering to blink and breathe so that my eyes don't dry up and I pass out yet.
Well, Int isn't needed, technically. It's not a requirement. It just upgrades your repeater damage from bad to okay. +7 or more damage per bolt is a significant increase.

Sneak attack damage isn't worthless for range, not on a repeater build. If you take Improved Precise Shot and learn to position yourself in battle, you'll be able to hit clusters of mobs for 100+ dmg each with the same bolt.

The thing is you need to specialize in repeaters and get all appropriate feats, otherwise it's not worth it. So if you don't want to use repeaters, forget mechanic. Taking it just for the slow self-repair is a waste of APs.

zex95966
06-13-2011, 03:55 AM
Well, Int isn't needed, technically. It's not a requirement. It just upgrades your repeater damage from bad to okay. +7 or more damage per bolt is a significant increase.

Sneak attack damage isn't worthless for range, not on a repeater build. If you take Improved Precise Shot and learn to position yourself in battle, you'll be able to hit clusters of mobs for 100+ dmg each with the same bolt.

The thing is you need to specialize in repeaters and get all appropriate feats, otherwise it's not worth it. So if you don't want to use repeaters, forget mechanic. Taking it just for the slow self-repair is a waste of APs.

I dont mind using repeaters - unless your saying I should forsake my melee entirely?
in which case yeah, I will forget mechanic.

Micron
06-13-2011, 04:04 AM
I dont mind using repeaters - unless your saying I should forsake my melee entirely?
in which case yeah, I will forget mechanic.
No, you don't need to forsake melee. If you use a build such as the one andbr22 or FuzzyDuck posted, you can swap between melee and ranged as needed.

NinjaNeed
06-13-2011, 04:20 AM
If you really want to do this then there is only 2 options imo...

1. Ranger - this removes the need for high dex as they get the TWF line for free.

2. Wizard - again, dump dex, 99% of your damage will be ranged so loosing the "to hit" from your off hand weapon wont be a big deal, int is their main stat which adds to your repeater damage. They also have the repair enhancement line if you want to go WF.

zex95966
06-13-2011, 06:25 AM
If you really want to do this then there is only 2 options imo...

1. Ranger - this removes the need for high dex as they get the TWF line for free.

2. Wizard - again, dump dex, 99% of your damage will be ranged so loosing the "to hit" from your off hand weapon wont be a big deal, int is their main stat which adds to your repeater damage. They also have the repair enhancement line if you want to go WF.

hmmm... if going wizard, what would you make the class split as? My guess is 7/13?
edit: eh nvm, I def won't be doing that, hurts to much either way imo, I'll go the ranger route.

Micron
06-13-2011, 06:30 AM

If he dumps Dex, he won't hit anything with his repeater.

Symar-FangofLloth
06-13-2011, 12:02 PM
Mechanic only really serves for three types of players.

Those who are new and not yet geared enough, so they benefit from the skill boosts.
Those who want to focus on repeating crossbows, with the free proficiency and int to damage.
Those who want to heavily use trapmaking, as you get more trap parts as a mechanic.

At least, until tier 3 comes out. We'll see what that gives.
Mechanic appeals to me thematically over Assassin and Acrobat, but it's just not worth taking for a lot of players.

zex95966
06-13-2011, 12:29 PM
Mechanic only really serves for three types of players.

Those who are new and not yet geared enough, so they benefit from the skill boosts.
Those who want to focus on repeating crossbows, with the free proficiency and int to damage.
Those who want to heavily use trapmaking, as you get more trap parts as a mechanic.

At least, until tier 3 comes out. We'll see what that gives.
Mechanic appeals to me thematically over Assassin and Acrobat, but it's just not worth taking for a lot of players.

I fall in the first category... sort of. I'm starting on a new server, and would like higher trap skills than normal so I won't be as gear dependent.
I've never used a crossbow, but it's just a different playstyle... on my main server I have a wiz, a cleric, a bard, and a fighter. so different playstyles are fine with me.

Anyways been playing around with the planner, decided to try 8 rogue, 12 ranger.

I'm very aware that 9 rogue, 11 ranger will do better as things are now, but as mentioned, I would like to keep myself open for tier 2 of deepwood which will prob get a buff if it comes out - seeing as how... unpopular it is.

ignore alignment, forgot to change to neutral. I worry about how well I'll be able to hit things, but my guess is favored enemies combined with sneak bonuses should counteract that.

11 ranger is a must in my eyes because of all the free feats they get at 11. tomes are going to be from store, so if your wondering where I'm getting em from on a new server...

here ya go, of course feedback is appreciated:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Lawful Good Drow Male
(8 Rogue \ 12 Ranger)
Hit Points: 246
Spell Points: 140
BAB: 18\18\23\28\28
Fortitude: 12
Reflex: 20
Will: 6

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 23