PDA

View Full Version : Please Make Rags Available to TRs

gohonn
06-10-2011, 10:50 PM
I don't know if this is WAI, but I know that starter rags are craftable and you can put armor kits on them. Unless I'm misinformed, the only way to get starter rags is from Veteran status starter equipment. I would like to have some rags for my TR (who destroyed hers eons ago for the bank space) because the armor kits look the coolest on them. Is there a vendor somewhere where I can purchase some, or can you guys please make them available to us crafters who were unlucky enough to have lost our crystal balls and could not look into the future and see a time when the silly ole starter rags would actually become useful for more than just a novelty item. Thanks

voxson5
06-10-2011, 11:06 PM
Like some sort of pauper vendor in the harbor? (could even be attached to a quest)

You could always TR again into a fleshie to bolster your wardrobe

gohonn
06-10-2011, 11:10 PM
Like some sort of pauper vendor in the harbor? (could even be attached to a quest)

You could always TR again into a fleshie to bolster your wardrobe

I just TRed today and didn't get any.

steelblueskies
06-11-2011, 01:50 AM
Odd, you should have found yourself wearing them when you loaded into shipwreck shore after the tr.
Wonder when that got changed?

altrocks
06-11-2011, 02:40 AM
Odd, you should have found yourself wearing them when you loaded into shipwreck shore after the tr.
Wonder when that got changed?

Been that way for a long while now. TR's start naked and only get the rusty <weapon> from Jeets along with the other quest-gained items from the starter quest. Might be an oversight or it might have been an "improvement" in the past to keep people from having to destroy so many starter rags or from collecting so many of them when going for completionist. Not sure exactly when it changed though.

phalaeo
06-11-2011, 02:56 AM
It's a humourous novelty to be able to craft on Starter Rags, but I don't think it's important enough to most people to justify the time it would take to implement.

gohonn
06-11-2011, 03:24 AM
It's a humourous novelty to be able to craft on Starter Rags, but I don't think it's important enough to most people to justify the time it would take to implement.

As stated at dictionary.com, a novelty is "an article of trade whose value is chiefly decorative, comic, or the like and whose appeal is often transitory." The ability to add enchantments to them actually makes them useful (at least for lvling purposes) and therefore it is no longer strictly a 'novelty' item.

The item already exists in the game, there are no real power balance issues that would be involved with its implimentation and the designers have already went through the trouble of designing a unique graphic for EACH armor kit for it. Sounds like all the real work is already done, sir. All they would have to do is add the item to a vendor's list or something. I have been VIP for about four years now and I don't like the idea that this item is just not available to the characters that I put the most effort into, is all.

Asketes
06-11-2011, 03:50 AM
/signed

When you TR, you should have starter rags in your inventory!

Puppetian
06-11-2011, 04:09 AM
Most likely and oversight - if not - /signed!

Diib
06-11-2011, 04:17 AM
/signed

I want more rags!

Shadowspawned
06-11-2011, 04:39 AM
/signed

Crafting starter rags was one of the things that I was looking forward to with my first TR.

steelblueskies
06-11-2011, 06:58 AM
Must not have noticed with my last few lives being warforged.
Worth noting the starter docent isn't craftable, and you don't get a rag equivalent instantly on starting as wf. Sigh.
Well signed anyway. And here's chipping in to give wf a starter no stat no + docent that's craftable as well. Finding a craftable base took a while just starting out a life post u9.(and the ah was barren).

Kza
06-11-2011, 06:59 AM
/signed

bkasavan
06-11-2011, 07:53 AM
Sounds like a great idea
/signed
also, are the Rags btc?

Tsuarok
06-11-2011, 08:32 AM
As stated at dictionary.com, a novelty is "an article of trade whose value is chiefly decorative, comic, or the like and whose appeal is often transitory." The ability to add enchantments to them actually makes them useful (at least for lvling purposes) and therefore it is no longer strictly a 'novelty' item.

You can add enhancements to any of the **** that drops in korthos or elsewhere, The only difference is cosmetic. Thus, the word "novelty" rather perfectly fits the starter rags.

WestportStan
06-11-2011, 08:41 AM
Are they bound to Character?
If not just make a new baby toon and shared bank it.
<10 min later>
I just checked. They are indeed bound to character. bummer.

steelblueskies
06-11-2011, 10:53 AM
They'd also be flagged as starter, meaning cheap repair and non vendorable. As hardness and durability increAse with the applied + this can be nice. And if there's +1 unused potential after crafting away they should be able to be run through the stone of change binding and adamantine rituals as well. Would be rediculously expensive to craft then adamantine ritual them up a great deal, but repair costs ever after should be bargain basement.

Main thing remains appearance. Robes and outfits would otherwise be pretty close(excepting the starter flag benefits).
Shrug

parowan
06-11-2011, 11:01 AM
...the only way to get starter rags is from Veteran status starter equipment. I would like to have some rags for my TR ... Is there a vendor somewhere where I can purchase some ...
Maybe they could put some bums under the docks in the harbor. Your new TR can go shake them down for their rags.

flaggson
06-11-2011, 11:02 AM
/signed I like the way the rags look with an armor kit and the fact that you can craft em is great :D

Therigar
06-11-2011, 11:08 AM
I don't think this merits much effort on Turbine's part. If you really can't hold onto your starter rags -- just can't afford 1 bank or backpack slot for them -- then you really don't need them.

I can't see it worth putting in the Turbine Store because I don't think enough people would buy them.

And, I can't see putting them in a Korthos vendor because I can't see the coding time to be worth it when there is so much other stuff that needs to be fixed.

I'm all in favor of Turbine spending coding time fixing things that they break -- like handwraps that don't give their + to hit or damage or loot tables that don't drop metalline or silver-threaded handwraps. Those are Turbine goofs that need fixing.

But I'm completely against Turbine spending any time at all on giving people back starter rags because those people couldn't be bothered to keep the ones they already had.

No, that just sounds trivial and selfish to me.

FrozenNova
06-11-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't think this merits much effort on Turbine's part...
...I can't see putting them in a Korthos vendor because I can't see the coding time to be worth it...
...But I'm completely against Turbine spending any time at all on giving people back starter rags...

What, you think it takes more than ten minutes for one person to add an item to a vendor's list and queue it for the next update?

Many people lost their rags before the introduction of crafting.
They're just rags, let us get more.

Chette
06-11-2011, 11:53 AM
So what exactly do the rags look like with an armor kit? I'm curious now.

drac317
06-11-2011, 11:58 AM
So what exactly do the rags look like with an armor kit? I'm curious now.
yea really. id rather not wait two hours to get of work and roll a new toon

Crazyfruit
06-11-2011, 12:15 PM
/signed

I'd buy craftable rags in the DDO store, at 150 tp or so

Crazyfruit
06-11-2011, 12:17 PM
I don't think this merits much effort on Turbine's part. If you really can't hold onto your starter rags -- just can't afford 1 bank or backpack slot for them -- then you really don't need them.

Warforged characters don't get one.

IIRC I did save rags on a human's first life, but it didn't carry through in the cache. This was like a year ago.

KillEveryone
06-11-2011, 12:30 PM
I'll sign this thread if the armor kits look really good with starter rags but I don't want to take the time to roll a new character then look at the kits with rags on.

Post some screenies and I'll decide then. Doesn't have to be the full line, a few samples would be good.

I'm looking for something that looks hookerish and in green. This is for my human female bard. The royal line that was greenish looked too grandmaish with my robe on and it didn't match the Lucky Green Hat.

If they look good in general, I'll probably sign even if there isn't a style that I like. I also haven't bought any armor kits either, mostly because I want to have certain effects and I haven't made any DT or other armor. I may give it a go with new crafting.

Therigar
06-11-2011, 02:20 PM
Warforged characters don't get one.

IIRC I did save rags on a human's first life, but it didn't carry through in the cache. This was like a year ago.

Warforged.... Such a small overall population that I can't see it as worthwhile just for those who started as WF. Really, with robes and outfits already available this is just a cosmetic (read, vanity) want. I really don't think it merits any attention by Turbine with so much else that is wrong with the game and needs fixing.

Really, I feel the same even if the rags don't carry thru TR. Although I'd be surprised that they didn't since all other starter gear does.

Acers13
06-11-2011, 02:33 PM

I can't see it worth putting in the Turbine Store because I don't think enough people would buy them.

And, I can't see putting them in a Korthos vendor because I can't see the coding time to be worth it when there is so much other stuff that needs to be fixed.

I'm all in favor of Turbine spending coding time fixing things that they break -- like handwraps that don't give their + to hit or damage or loot tables that don't drop metalline or silver-threaded handwraps. Those are Turbine goofs that need fixing.

But I'm completely against Turbine spending any time at all on giving people back starter rags because those people couldn't be bothered to keep the ones they already had.

No, that just sounds trivial and selfish to me.

First of all you do realize if you dont have the money to spend on a bank that "1" item slot is A LOT of space, I have to empty my inventory after every 3 quests or 1 raid. And who cares if they dont sell enough its not like they lose irl money because they stocked to many starter rags and only sold two. and it wouldnt take Long At All to just add a item to a general vendor. So over all i disagree with you and agree with the OP :P

/signed

Tammuz
06-11-2011, 02:41 PM
Just checked out Armor Kit on rags, and it does look cool. Wants to make me This IS SPARTA! on something.
Hmmmm WHY cant we have purely cosmetic gear? You assign 1 piece of equipment as cosmetic, and it will ALWAYS display regardless of what you are actually wearing. I have seen this in other games. LOTRO ironically IIRC.

hityawithastick
06-11-2011, 02:51 PM
Just checked out Armor Kit on rags, and it does look cool. Wants to make me This IS SPARTA! on something.

Screenshot or it didn't happen. :D

BossOfEarth
06-11-2011, 05:31 PM
T H I S
T H R E A D
I S
U S E L E S S
W I T H O U T
P I C S !*

*as is my post. :)

kmau
06-11-2011, 06:05 PM
Hmmmm WHY cant we have purely cosmetic gear? You assign 1 piece of equipment as cosmetic, and it will ALWAYS display regardless of what you are actually wearing.

Because the devs need funding.

Also we need pics because the majority of people here are too lazy to look them up themselves.

gohonn
06-12-2011, 11:35 AM
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k570/emaccus/StarterRagsArmorKitExamples.jpg

Front and back screenshots of some of the armor kits when applied to starter rags in order of Crest 1, Leaf 1, Plains 1, Royal 1, Spiral 1, and Spiral 2. All of them are Dark/Steel in color.

phalaeo
06-12-2011, 11:41 AM

The item already exists in the game, there are no real power balance issues that would be involved with its implimentation and the designers have already went through the trouble of designing a unique graphic for EACH armor kit for it. Sounds like all the real work is already done, sir. All they would have to do is add the item to a vendor's list or something. I have been VIP for about four years now and I don't like the idea that this item is just not available to the characters that I put the most effort into, is all.

You know what? You're right. If it amuses so many people to wear Rags, that is as valid an entertainment as anything else. We do play the game to be entertained, after all.

My bad- must have had my panties in a knot when I wrote that.

kmau
06-12-2011, 12:08 PM
http://i1116.photobucket.com/albums/k570/emaccus/StarterRagsArmorKitExamples.jpg

Front and back screenshots of some of the armor kits when applied to starter rags in order of Crest 1, Leaf 1, Plains 1, Royal 1, Spiral 1, and Spiral 2. All of them are Dark/Steel in color.

Alright, /signed

Aries1040
06-12-2011, 01:41 PM
Wow really those are horrible imo but you should get the gear again when you TR

gohonn
06-12-2011, 02:07 PM
You know what? You're right. If it amuses so many people to wear Rags, that is as valid an entertainment as anything else. We do play the game to be entertained, after all.

I took absolutely no offense to your words, Phalaeo, although it probably looked like it from my reply. What you said made me realize that I had not provided any validation to the point I was trying to make. If I had thought about it I would have added something similar in my OP. You are absolutely correct, entertainment is what it's all about.

Chette
06-12-2011, 02:36 PM

Thanks, +1!

Can't say as I really like the look of any of them, so not miffed that I threw away my rags, but I do certainly support variety, so yes, /signed, please make these available.

KillEveryone
06-12-2011, 02:39 PM

Still not hookerish enough but they don't look bad either.

I'll /sign.

donfilibuster
06-12-2011, 05:34 PM
/signed
Indeed it is all about the armor kit, the crafting is nowhere as important.
The skirts are good enough on female toons, not so much on male toons because of the subtle difference between a kilt and a skirt.

There's a fine line where you get to say 'hey, that's leather armor with a kilt' and 'hey, why are you wearing a skirt'.
Traditionally it's easier to tell em apart on leathers and plates, but not quite on chain mails.
e.g. the roman leather or copper armors, those are kilts.

Note this is all more of a rant than of a frown on the kit designers :)
I have bought leaf 1 for my elf and halfling but not the rest.

Tammuz
06-12-2011, 05:45 PM
Screenshot or it didn't happen. :D

"What Drizztidas?! This is madness!"

"This.....IS"
http://i52.tinypic.com/s661dy.jpg

"XENDRIIIIIIIIK!"
http://i56.tinypic.com/30bn2f8.jpg
*Kicks the High Elf into the Pit of Death*

"Say 'what' again."
http://i56.tinypic.com/4ktvo5.jpg

Because the devs need funding.

Also we need pics because the majority of people here are too lazy to look them up themselves.

But didnt they do it that way in LOTRO? You could make any piece of your gear look like any other piece you owned?

gohonn
06-13-2011, 07:07 PM
OMG, Tammuz! I laughed soooo hard when I viewed the second screenshot! That made my day :)

rest
06-13-2011, 09:43 PM
I don't think it's important enough to most people to justify the time it would take to implement.

I do.

I WANT RAGS!

Starter rags version? :p

Tammuz
06-13-2011, 11:51 PM
Starter rags version? :p

Hohohoho=HOL(e)Y PANTIES!

My, I bet those are too divine for any but the highest High Priestess on Vow of Poverty to wear.