PDA

View Full Version : Is this build viable at all?

Morgueman
06-10-2011, 06:36 PM
Ok, I was messing with the planner and i've been around for a good month, so I know what I like and what I want from a character. I want to make a good solo'er build that can deal with locks and traps and can heal themselves. Sneaking I'm not worried about at all since ya know I'm a big Horc and all. But I also want them to be effective at using two handed weapons. So I came up with this build:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 True Neutral Half-Orc Male
(1 Fighter \ 2 Rogue \ 17 Cleric)
Hit Points: 292
Spell Points: 1026
BAB: 14\14\19\24
Fortitude: 14
Reflex: 10
Will: 11

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 23
Dexterity 10 10
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 14 14
Wisdom 10 12
Charisma 8 8

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 4 5
Bluff 3 4
Concentration 4 8
Diplomacy -1 -1
Disable Device 6 25
Haggle -1 -1
Heal 0 1
Hide 0 0
Intimidate -1 -1
Jump 3 6
Listen 4 6
Move Silently 0 0
Open Lock 4 24
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 2 2
Search 6 8
Spot 4 7
Swim 3 6
Tumble 4 5
Use Magic Device 3 5

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Rogue Skill Boost I
Enhancement: Orcish Melee Damage I

Level 2 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy I
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
Enhancement: Improved Disable Device I
Enhancement: Improved Open Lock I

Level 3 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack
Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Fighter Critical Accuracy I
Enhancement: Orcish Strength I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I

Level 4 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Orcish Power Attack I
Enhancement: Orcish Great Weapon Aptitude I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
Enhancement: Fighter Toughness I

Level 5 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Improved Search I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Insightful Reflexes
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Improved Concentration I
Enhancement: Improved Spot I

Level 7 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Improved Concentration II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I

Level 8 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Orcish Strength II

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Orcish Great Weapon Aptitude II
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II

Level 10 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Orcish Power Attack II
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Spell Penetration I

Level 11 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Improved Concentration III
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II

Level 13 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV

Level 14 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Orcish Fury I
Enhancement: Improved Concentration IV
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life II

Level 16 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life III
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I

Level 17 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Light I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Vitality I

Level 18 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Cleansing I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Healing I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I
Enhancement: Cleric Wand and Scroll Mastery I

Level 19 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Orcish Melee Damage II

Level 20 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Orcish Fury II
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life II

Now please keep in mind I'm just now wandering into the area of making my own toon so this build might be really flawed. Also keep in mind I am a VIP but no tomes atm (nor did I count one into this build) and I want this character to be my favor earner//main character.

If you have any ideas or thoughts please let me know. Thanks in advance!!

Trillea
06-10-2011, 06:40 PM
A couple suggestions -

First, it's good that you started with rogue, but take the 2nd level of rogue later so that you get more out of the skill points.

Second, you need more search. Your search score as-is will not get traps at endgame even with the help of the Find Traps spell.

Other than that, how well this build does will be all about your playstyle, but it definitely could be a lot of fun.

ProdigalGuru
06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
My gut tells me that 10 WIS and 8 CHA with 17 levels of Cleric might not be a great idea.

All the Disable Device in the world isn't going to do you a bit of good with an 8 Search.

Explain to me why you took Critical Accuracy. It was because it sounded cool, right?

Improved Concentration 4? No Radiant Servant? Toughness at level 18? Divine Light?

Spell Pen? With a 10 WIS?

Insightful Reflexes? For +2 Reflex?

You need to re-think these choices....

Classic rookie mistake, trying to do it all.

Pick a focus, and do that well, then fit in what else you can.

Morgueman
06-10-2011, 06:47 PM
ok, well my play style is pretty much this:
Step one: find enemy
Step two: Introduce said enemy to my great sword with extreme violence
Step three: heal if needed
Step four: Restart steps 1-3

But I also want to be able to see those pesky traps and loot those nice items from boxes.
I'm a solo'er by nature but I do enjoy grouping up for fun runs and to help others out. (Hence the cleric idea some ok off heals while being able to be up front in the midst of combat)

But for the most part it is me and my hireling out and about doing our thing having fun.

Sequell
06-10-2011, 06:52 PM
Why not a FvS with 2 levels of rogue? Go WF for the Greatswords...

ProdigalGuru
06-10-2011, 06:53 PM
ok, well my play style is pretty much this:
Step one: find enemy
Step two: Introduce said enemy to my great sword with extreme violence
Step three: heal if needed
Step four: Restart steps 1-3

But I also want to be able to see those pesky traps and loot those nice items from boxes.
I'm a solo'er by nature but I do enjoy grouping up for fun runs and to help others out. (Hence the cleric idea some ok off heals while being able to be up front in the midst of combat)

But for the most part it is me and my hireling out and about doing our thing having fun.

My advice to you is to roll a Fighter, then group with a Rogue and a Cleric whenever possible.

Soloing is overrated. This is an MMO, make some friends

Morgueman
06-10-2011, 06:53 PM
My gut tells me that 10 WIS and 8 CHA with 17 levels of Cleric might not be a great idea.

All the Disable Device in the world isn't going to do you a bit of good with an 8 Search.

Explain to me why you took Critical Accuracy. It was because it sounded cool, right?

Improved Concentration 4? No Radiant Servant? Toughness at level 18? Divine Light?

Spell Pen? With a 10 WIS?

Insightful Reflexes? For +2 Reflex?

You need to re-think these choices....

Classic rookie mistake, trying to do it all.

Pick a focus, and do that well, then fit in what else you can.

This is why I would ask here and see what the Vets thought about my goofy little ideas. Maybe I am trying to hard to do it all. I guess i could drop the disable traps. But I really would like to be able to pick locks myself and be a decent self//backup healer. I had also presumed that the spell find traps would cover my butt for finding them even later in the game. But thank you for point out what would be good to fix now before I even create the toon :)
If someone could help with a better build using the basics of what I have? (two handed weapon fighting Horc melee fighter type that can self heal and pick his own locks)

ProdigalGuru
06-10-2011, 06:57 PM
This is why I would ask here and see what the Vets thought about my goofy little ideas. Maybe I am trying to hard to do it all. I guess i could drop the disable traps. But I really would like to be able to pick locks myself and be a decent self//backup healer. I had also presumed that the spell find traps would cover my butt for finding them even later in the game. But thank you for point out what would be good to fix now before I even create the toon :)
If someone could help with a better build using the basics of what I have? (two handed weapon fighting Horc melee fighter type that can self heal and pick his own locks)

I have a solution, but you aren't going to like it, I am afraid....

WF Wizard.

Knock
Reconstruct
Master's Touch
Bull's Strength
Haste
Rage (the spell)
Displacement
Tenser's Transformation

Alex301
06-10-2011, 06:58 PM
Would a warforged 18 fvs/ 2 rog make more sense? Melee WF favoured souls seem to be more accepted by groups. You also gain better saves progression, higher int if you want it and you'll be more survivable. The lord of the blades enhancements means you'll be doing roughly the same damage. You'll also get wings :D and the new FvS pre.

If you have the attack bonus to twitch you could drop the THF feats and pick up some casting feats as well.

EDIT: Sequell beat me to it

Morgueman
06-10-2011, 06:59 PM
Why not a FvS with 2 levels of rogue? Go WF for the Greatswords...

My bad I should have said that I don't have Drow FVS or the 32 point builds opened yet.
Yea I P2P but I like the idea of unlocking those things myself. It gives me a goal and something to work towards.

Alex301
06-10-2011, 07:03 PM
Honestly, i think the best solo build with rogue skills is a WF 18 wiz/ 2 rog. Slightly harder to start with but i think you'll be happier in the later levels.

Morgueman
06-10-2011, 07:03 PM
I have a solution, but you aren't going to like it, I am afraid....

WF Wizard.

Knock
Reconstruct
Master's Touch
Bull's Strength
Haste
Rage (the spell)
Displacement
Tenser's Transformation

Yep I have tried this. I rolled a WF arcane mage from the revisiting paths thread But I found out rather quickly that the knock spell doesn't work under water and it didn't work allot of the times on some doors and chests where my dark assassin rogue had no problems. I like the revisited paths thread, it inspired me to try my own hand at this.

Sequell
06-10-2011, 07:06 PM
My bad I should have said that I don't have Drow FVS or the 32 point builds opened yet.
Yea I P2P but I like the idea of unlocking those things myself. It gives me a goal and something to work towards.

Gonna be even more difficult without 32 points...lemme see what I can come up with...

Morgueman
06-10-2011, 07:08 PM
Honestly, i think the best solo build with rogue skills is a WF 18 wiz/ 2 rog. Slightly harder to start with but i think you'll be happier in the later levels.

I've heard allot about the 18/2 build but after looking for a good 3 hours on the forums here I came up with no leads on how to build it right which enhancements would be best and what not like that. I'm really not much of a caster type player myself and I get myself into allot of trouble with casters. I love the whole feel of the two handed weapons they hit slower yes, but usually hit allot harder and the overall feel is one I enjoy.

Morgueman
06-10-2011, 07:13 PM
I gave some thought on doing the War priest build in the revisited path's thread but it does not have any Horc builds at all. And I'm not exactly sure on how to convert one of those builds to a Horc. Also it was set up to be a good healer and as much as I want to be able to take care of my own heals and all I'm not really trying to be a group healer with that build. As well as the fact it has no lockpicking in it at all.

Alex301
06-10-2011, 07:15 PM
quick search in google and i found http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=218205 it even has a guide to help out. One thing i would change is go true neutral rather than lawful good.

In the lower levels thf melee are great. Once you get the higher levels, however, casters will gain more sp and spells like firewall, allowing them to solo quests with much greater ease than your typical melee.

Morgueman
06-10-2011, 07:17 PM
But I do want to say thanks for trying to help hehe I know what I'm asking for isn't the easiest or maybe it might just be out of my range at the moment, but I'd still like to have a character that is fun to play as well as suiting my needs.

ProdigalGuru
06-10-2011, 07:23 PM
Yep I have tried this. I rolled a WF arcane mage from the revisiting paths thread But I found out rather quickly that the knock spell doesn't work under water and it didn't work allot of the times on some doors and chests where my dark assassin rogue had no problems. I like the revisited paths thread, it inspired me to try my own hand at this.

If you forsake a good build because it can't Knock underwater, there is no more help I can really offer you.

That is like telling Megan Fox that you don't want to date her because she has toe thumbs.

Also, Knock, just like Open Lock, can be tried over and over again until you run out of mana.

Sequell
06-10-2011, 07:30 PM
If you forsake a good build because it can't Knock underwater, there is no more help I can really offer you.

That is like telling Megan Fox that you don't want to date her because she has toe thumbs.

Also, Knock, just like Open Lock, can be tried over and over again until you run out of mana.

EEWWWWWwwwwwwww...:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek:

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m494/sequell1/thumb.jpg

Morgueman
06-10-2011, 07:35 PM

I'm not forsaking it at all. It's a good build. It's just not the one I am looking for is all.
but after reading up on the 18/2 wf wizzy/rogue build up there it does sound intresting.
But it makes me wonder, is melee useless in latter parts of the game? I understand that fireball and firewall are better in degree's of overall dps since you can kill allot more allot faster.

I dunno maybe I should give up on the whole two handed weapon fighting and go with the tempest route since it has basicly what I am looking for other than good self heals

ProdigalGuru
06-10-2011, 07:51 PM
Ever see Cool Hand Luke?

SirValentine
06-10-2011, 08:43 PM
I want to make a good solo'er build that can deal with locks and traps and can heal themselves. Sneaking I'm not worried about at all since ya know I'm a big Horc and all. But I also want them to be effective at using two handed weapons.

<snip>

If you have any ideas or thoughts please let me know.

Your basic idea seems sound, but the devil is in the details.

Stats:

You are stretched thin. That's kind of inevitable. However, a couple things to bear in mind:

You want a final ending Wisdom of at least 19, in order to be able to cast 9th level spells.

I know you need skill points, but that Int is costing quite a bit.

How attached are you to Half-Orc? It's taking 10 build points to get +2 skill points per level. If you switched to Human, you would only need 4 points instead of 10 into Int to get the same exact number of skill points, could put 4 more points into Str if desired to start with the exact same Str, and still come out 2 build points ahead that you can drop into Wis or whatever. Oh yeah, and get an extra feat. And 2 MORE build points saved that you had put into Cha. (Why 2 points into Cha? If you're going to dump it, just dump it!)

Feats:

Most of your feat choices are good solid THF melee feats.

I see two things missing:
Empower Healing Spell - This is needed as a pre-requisite for Radiant Servant, and you need Radiant Servant. Take it by level 6.
Quicken Spell - At higher levels, you will take damage in large chunks that your Concentration skill will not be enough to get you through. You don't need this early, but you will need it.

I also see a couple things you don't need:
Insightful Reflexes - I don't think this is worth a feat for you.
Toughness x2 - Having Toughness once is a good move. Having it twice might be overkill. You can likely use this for better things.

Skills:

It's tough...to do traps, you need to invest in both Search and Disable Device. And you probably still want Concentration. And Use Magic Device. And some into Open Lock. Oh...I see you didn't bother with Concentration or UMD at all. Concentration is useful even if you have Quicken, but if you don't have Concentration, having Quicken becomes even more important. I haven't played a Rogue, but from what I hear, you don't really need to max Open Lock to be able to get most locks.

Enhancments:

Get Radiant Servant. Free self-healing and undead hurting at Clr 6, and free continuous self-healing at Clr 12. And heal for more. This helps when meleeing and helps make up for your smaller SP pool.

Don't bother with more than Tier 1 of Prayer of Life & Prayer of Incredible Life.

Divine Cleansing and Divine Healing are both rather lame, and Divine Vitality is useless when you solo.

You will eventually be able to find +6 Wis items. Don't spend more on Wisdom enhancements than what you need to be able to cast your highest level spells. +1 on your DCs by having, say 22 Wis instead of 20 Wis at end game isn't going to matter. If you were an offensive caster build, you'd be looking at a mid-30s+ Wis, not high-teens/low-20s.

Energy of the Zealot is a great place to drop a leftover action point or 3. But I personally wouldn't buy it up to Tier 4, too many better things to take.

Orcish Fury...is that the one that gives you a Str bonus just before you die? Might not be that useful.

ProdigalGuru also made some good points about your enhancements.

Don't get discouraged, people do make trap-capable Cleric splash builds. The one you posted just need a lot of tweaking yet.

zex95966
06-10-2011, 09:23 PM
well since you seem to be more melee oriented than casting oriented, I would have to say ignore what everyone is saying about bumping up wisdom more than you want, same for charisma.

With a +item and/or pots you can cast whatever you need. I would def choose dwarf though if your trying to hit traps on top of being a battle cleric. orcs get the penalty to int, and that's not helping your trap skills at all.

i'd go 18 str, 16 con, 14 int as a dwarf dump everything else and put level ups in str.

for feats, make sure to take what you need for radiant servant prestige, toughness, improved critical, extend, and the Two handed fighting feats.

don't need spell pen or any spell focus... not if your gonna melee.
max life magic line, toughness enhancements, and con enhancements.

nice healthy hp, melee healer.

take first level rogue, rest into cleric, until around lvl 8 or so then take rogue to spend your skill points better.

at your last level, you might want to take fighter for an extra feat. I say last level because you don't want to delay your cleric to much imo. you can do it earlier, but your cleric abilities will be delayed, when your level 18, you'd only be equal to a lvl 15 cleric.

Now, most people will say to go caster oriented instead... and I'd agree, as this will make you more loved in groups.

in that case pick whatever race you like, go 18 wis, 12 (if an elf) 16 (if a dwarf) or 14 (anything else) con, and put the rest into intelligence, level ups in wisdom.

you will have to forget about melee, but if you want to hit traps too - your gonna have to sacrifice it in order to offensively cast.

Tsuarok
06-10-2011, 09:29 PM
Ok, I like your original build, but as mentioned, split up the rogue levels to maximize your salient skills. If you can fit it in, UMD is very, very nice, but you can self heal already, so you should be ok without it.

Do remember that you get the spell find traps, which will give this build +8 search, meaning that you just need to find 7 more points to put into search (though really, the more the merrier)

Follow SirValentine's advice on you feats. With Emp heal and quicken, Mass heal should be all you need to raid heal (for the most part).

And in raid, do take up the role of healer. If you have the HPs for it, go ahead and melee too, but your job will be to keep people alive.

Phidius
06-10-2011, 10:04 PM
Here's a build that seems to reflect most of the advice in this thread.

Level 20 Lawful Good Dwarf Male
Hit Points: 260
Spell Points: 946
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 11
Will: 11

Strength 16 21
Dexterity 8 8
Constitution 16 16
Intelligence 15 16
Wisdom 12 12
Charisma 6 6

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Intelligence used at level 3

Skills

Balance 11 ranks
Concentration 22 ranks
Disable Device 23 ranks
Hide 4 ranks
Jump 4 ranks
Move Silently 4 ranks
Open Lock 4 ranks
Search 23 ranks
Spot 4 ranks
Swim 3 ranks
Tumble 1 rank

Level 1 (Rogue)
Skill: Balance (+4)
Skill: Concentration (+2)
Skill: Disable Device (+4)
Skill: Hide (+4)
Skill: Jump (+4)
Skill: Move Silently (+4)
Skill: Open Lock (+4)
Skill: Search (+4)
Skill: Spot (+4)
Skill: Swim (+3)
Skill: Tumble (+1)

Level 2 (Fighter)
Skill: Disable Device (+1)
Skill: Search (+1)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Power Attack

Level 3 (Cleric)
Skill: Concentration (+2)
Feat: (Selected) Extend Spell

Level 4 (Cleric)
Ability Raise: STR
Skill: Concentration (+3)

Level 5 (Cleric)
Skill: Concentration (+1)

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell

Level 7 (Cleric)

Level 8 (Cleric)

Level 9 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Maximize Spell

Level 10 (Cleric)

Level 11 (Cleric)

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell

Level 13 (Cleric)

Level 14 (Rogue)
Skill: Disable Device (+3)
Skill: Balance (+7)

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Insightful Reflexes

Level 16 (Cleric)

Level 17 (Cleric)

Level 18 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Spell

Level 19 (Cleric)

Level 20 (Cleric)

Even if you only got a +4 to your reflex, I'd say that's worth Insightful Reflexes. You're going to want a +6 Int item handy for Searching/Disabling anyway...

My WF Wiz/Rog started with 8 Dex, put 4 ranks in at first level, and spent AP on Open Lock - yet he could still open just about every lock he came across at level (the door in Fleshmakers stymied him, but it's easy to run down the hall to grab the key). The key is to get the best Open Lock and +5 Thieves Tools.

Morgueman
06-10-2011, 11:33 PM
Your basic idea seems sound, but the devil is in the details.

Stats:

You are stretched thin. That's kind of inevitable. However, a couple things to bear in mind:

You want a final ending Wisdom of at least 19, in order to be able to cast 9th level spells.

I know you need skill points, but that Int is costing quite a bit.

How attached are you to Half-Orc? It's taking 10 build points to get +2 skill points per level. If you switched to Human, you would only need 4 points instead of 10 into Int to get the same exact number of skill points, could put 4 more points into Str if desired to start with the exact same Str, and still come out 2 build points ahead that you can drop into Wis or whatever. Oh yeah, and get an extra feat. And 2 MORE build points saved that you had put into Cha. (Why 2 points into Cha? If you're going to dump it, just dump it!)

Feats:

Most of your feat choices are good solid THF melee feats.

I see two things missing:
Empower Healing Spell - This is needed as a pre-requisite for Radiant Servant, and you need Radiant Servant. Take it by level 6.
Quicken Spell - At higher levels, you will take damage in large chunks that your Concentration skill will not be enough to get you through. You don't need this early, but you will need it.

I also see a couple things you don't need:
Insightful Reflexes - I don't think this is worth a feat for you.
Toughness x2 - Having Toughness once is a good move. Having it twice might be overkill. You can likely use this for better things.

Skills:

It's tough...to do traps, you need to invest in both Search and Disable Device. And you probably still want Concentration. And Use Magic Device. And some into Open Lock. Oh...I see you didn't bother with Concentration or UMD at all. Concentration is useful even if you have Quicken, but if you don't have Concentration, having Quicken becomes even more important. I haven't played a Rogue, but from what I hear, you don't really need to max Open Lock to be able to get most locks.

Enhancments:

Get Radiant Servant. Free self-healing and undead hurting at Clr 6, and free continuous self-healing at Clr 12. And heal for more. This helps when meleeing and helps make up for your smaller SP pool.

Don't bother with more than Tier 1 of Prayer of Life & Prayer of Incredible Life.

Divine Cleansing and Divine Healing are both rather lame, and Divine Vitality is useless when you solo.

You will eventually be able to find +6 Wis items. Don't spend more on Wisdom enhancements than what you need to be able to cast your highest level spells. +1 on your DCs by having, say 22 Wis instead of 20 Wis at end game isn't going to matter. If you were an offensive caster build, you'd be looking at a mid-30s+ Wis, not high-teens/low-20s.

Energy of the Zealot is a great place to drop a leftover action point or 3. But I personally wouldn't buy it up to Tier 4, too many better things to take.

Orcish Fury...is that the one that gives you a Str bonus just before you die? Might not be that useful.

ProdigalGuru also made some good points about your enhancements.

Don't get discouraged, people do make trap-capable Cleric splash builds. The one you posted just need a lot of tweaking yet.

ok after working on this for a few hours i think I got a far better build. now some of the enhancements can be moved around and i totally dropped disable traps thus i didn't have a huge need for spot and search anymore. I also didn't bother with UMD since I'm going to be my own healer. This build seems allot better than my first all the while keeping to what I really wanted from the character over all.

Level 20 Chaotic Good Human Male
Hit Points: 300
Spell Points: 1108
Fortitude: 15
Reflex: 8
Will: 13

Strength 16 21
Dexterity 10 10
Constitution 14 16
Intelligence 12 12
Wisdom 14 16
Charisma 8 8

Balance 4 17
Bluff 3 3
Concentration 4 30
Diplomacy -1 -1
Disable Device 5 5
Haggle -1 -1
Heal 2 6
Hide 0 0
Intimidate -1 -1
Jump 7 9
Listen 6 7
Move Silently 0 0
Open Lock 4 24
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 1 1
Search 5 5
Spot 6 9
Swim 3 5
Tumble 4 4
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Martial Weapon Proficiency: Greatsword
Feat: (Human Bonus) Toughness
Enhancement: Human Versatility I

Level 2 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Improved Heal I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Empower Healing Spell
Enhancement: Improved Concentration I
Enhancement: Improved Open Lock I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom I
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Cleansing I

Level 4 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Empower Healing I
Enhancement: Cleric Smiting I
Enhancement: Cleric Extra Turning I

Level 5 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Improved Heal II
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic II

Level 6 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Quicken Spell
Enhancement: Improved Concentration II
Enhancement: Cleric Divine Light I
Enhancement: Cleric Improved Turning I

Level 7 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant I

Level 8 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Follower of the Sovereign Host
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Life I
Enhancement: Cleric Prayer of Incredible Life I

Level 9 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Enhancement: Unyielding Sovereignty

Level 10 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Human Adaptability Strength I
Enhancement: Human Improved Recovery I

Level 11 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Human Versatility II
Enhancement: Improved Concentration III

Level 12 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Human Versatility III
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot II

Level 13 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Wisdom II

Level 14 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Radiant Servant II
Enhancement: Improved Concentration IV

Level 15 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Human Greater Adaptability Constitution I

Level 16 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Racial Toughness III
Enhancement: Cleric Smiting II

Level 17 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic III

Level 18 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Handed Fighting
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic IV

Level 19 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot III

Level 20 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Cleave
Enhancement: Improved Balance I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot IV

Please feel free to let me know what you think and I also made sure to take the PrE lines as well I tried to get those in asap. I moved the 2nd rogue level upto level 9 to help with skills there and took fighter at 20 for the extra feat.

(edit) messed up a few feats fixed them and fixed the coding.

Rydin_Dirtay
06-11-2011, 03:41 AM
i totally dropped disable traps thus i didn't have a huge need for spot and search anymore.

Then dumpstat INT. Or 10 at most if skills are tight.

I also didn't bother with UMD since I'm going to be my own healer.

UMD is more important than almost any other skill you could take on that build you presented.
If you take Rogue, take UMD. Fire Shield: Cold/Fire. Stoneskin. Are but two reasons why

LoneWolfie
06-11-2011, 05:49 AM
If you really want to solo and have some self heals/backup heals you might consider looking into a warchanter bard/rogue/fighter build
i have one currently level 13-14 that solos very well... can handle traps very well with some decent self heals which could be better but i wasn't overly concerned about it
very decent melee capable and it's a 28 point build and i've only used a +1 str tome that i ran across on it...

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=311988

that's the link to the thread i started and it has some basic info about the build... someone else could likely put it through the planner and make it better/easier to understand i'm not good with the planner lol
just a thought either way good luck and hope you enjoy it

bjlinden
06-11-2011, 07:50 AM
...I rolled a WF arcane mage from the revisiting paths thread But I found out rather quickly that the knock spell doesn't work under water...

I swear, that one door on Korthos has ruined more perfectly good characters than everything else in the game put together...

Anyway, now that I've gotten that out of my system, I don't think your new build is very good either. A build that splashes two levels of rogue and doesn't get trap skills OR UMD just completely wasted two levels. Building just for open locks is just NOT a good idea. Just starting out it might seem like it is, but everything behind locked doors (with the exception of a couple doors on raids, but you'll need a dedicated rogue for the traps there anyway) is COMPLETELY optional, and you do not lose anything for passing them by other than a little junk gear to take up space in your inventory. It might be a nice little side-bonus for a build that actually DOES take something useful, like traps or UMD, but not something to build around.

That being said, there ARE builds that can reach your goal of being a decent fighter who can self-heal and perform rogue skills. Just don't be too wedded to the idea of making it a cleric. You can make a cleric who can also fight, or you can make a cleric with decent rogue skills, but the class just isn't set up to be able to splash in BOTH directions.

It sounds like a warchanter bard would be absolutely PERFECT for you. I'd suggest something like 16bard/2rogue/2fighter, but there's tons of warchanter builds on the forums if you go looking for one. You'll have buffs that can turn you into a very competent fighter. You'll have enough skill points from the bard levels to be able to actually KEEP UP with those rogue skills. You'll even be able to heal. You might not be the best healer a bard can be, but you should have more than enough healing to solo, or to heal groups on normal. But even if you're only throwing backup heals, a bard is always welcome in groups for their buffs.

You might also want to try something Paladin based. Paladins are much more tanks than healers, but they do have at least some heals to throw around. Furthermore, even though rogue might not have as much synergy with paladin as monk, you still get evasion, and an evasion tank can be very useful.

Speaking of monk, though, you might want to try one of them. A light-side monk is pretty good at self-healing, and while they wouldn't get as many skill points as the bard, they get more than a cleric and would have an easier time keeping up those rogue skills than either of the builds you posted. I'd suggest something like a 13rogue/7monk quarterstaff specialist acrobat. That build works pretty well for half orcs too, if that's what you really want to be, since the staves are two-handed. An 18monk/1rogue/1something probably wouldn't be too terrible either, though it would hurt to be that close to the monk's capstone and not get it...

Battlehawke
06-11-2011, 09:00 AM
Listen, ultimately, you have to play the build you want to, so do it. Here is the problems with the build that you want: If you do join groups, with 17 lvls of cleric, they will expect you to heal. The build you want is not going to be great at anything, but will be fun to play. Here is what I would do:

Str 16, dex 8 con 14, wis 12, int 12, all else int charisma.

You will be a 2hf, but are not going to take the 2hf line... it really only helps with glancing blows anyways.... For feats I would go with whatever you need for Radiant Savant (it heals you, while you fight, and is charisma based), toughness, power attack, improved critical (slashing or bludgeoning, depending on your style), quicken, maximize, and empower healing.

You will find that you will be effective at melee, able to heal well, and with radiant running will be very effective in melee vs undead. Make sure you take combat boosting spells early on, because you may have trouble hitting. Place all your level up points into Str, dont forget you are melee. 1st lvl should be rogue, and focus on search, disable, open lock, and spot, in that order. Any left over into concentration, and balance. The rest dont matter for your build, but are nice. You will be tempted for jump, diplo, haggle, and heal..but dont... Focus on your build. If you cant find the trap boxes, you cant disable them. You CAN find traps the hard way, or have high spot, but the hard way works. Opening chests is nice, but not mandatory. You will need concentration as a solo melee, otherwise your spells/heals Will fail...a lot. Balance is also important as a soloist, because there is no one there to help you if you get tripped. Take Ftr lvl 2nd for obvious reasons, then cleric till about 11 or so, then the last rogue. Ideally, you will want a +2 intel tome ASAP

Fyi, another option for you, might be to make a str build rogue and just keep a hireling cleric within range for heals and rezzes while you sneak arround assassinating everything...

Have fun, and this build will work.

Morgueman
06-11-2011, 01:51 PM
You guys have been awesome with the support and all the ideas and help!!
But after reading all the posts and trying all the combos that I could find I realize that what I want and whats do-able just isn't gonna fly. So I've modified one of the Paths revisited builds to better fit what I'd like to have. Now I'm not going to be able to self heal but I'll get all the other things that I was wanting.

Level 20 True Neutral Human Male
(1 Fighter \ 19 Rogue)
Hit Points: 266
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 11
Reflex: 15
Will: 5

Strength 14 18
Dexterity 16 18
Constitution 14 16
Intelligence 14 14
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 8 8

Balance 7 29
Bluff 3 30
Concentration 2 5
Diplomacy -1 1
Disable Device 6 27
Haggle -1 11
Heal -1 1
Hide 7 37
Intimidate -1 1
Jump 2 8
Listen 3 24
Move Silently 7 37
Open Lock 7 29
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 2 4
Search 6 28
Spot 3 24
Swim 2 6
Tumble 7 10
Use Magic Device 3 24

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Improved Hide I
Enhancement: Improved Move Silently I

Level 2 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Oversized Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost I

Level 3 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh

Level 4 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity I

Level 5 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost II
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing I
Enhancement: Improved Hide II
Enhancement: Improved Move Silently II

Level 6 (Rogue)

Level 7 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin I

Level 8 (Rogue)

Level 9 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing II
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training II

Level 10 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy II

Level 11 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Opportunist
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy III
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training III

Level 12 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training IV

Level 13 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin II

Level 14 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Improved Evasion

Level 15 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy IV

Level 16 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost II

Level 17 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Skill Mastery
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost III

Level 18 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense I
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense II

Level 19 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin III
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense III

Level 20 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Improved Jump I
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense IV

I messed up a tad bit on a few minor things that I am fixing in game but didn't on here. (it was late and I got a bit sleepy) rather than dump spare points into haggle I'm going to drop them into jump and tumble alternating between the two. A few of the enhancements are in the wrong spots, but overall I'm rather sure this build is a good solid Dps rogue build that I would enjoy. Let me know what ya think. Thanks in advance :)

zex95966
06-11-2011, 03:01 PM
You guys have been awesome with the support and all the ideas and help!!
But after reading all the posts and trying all the combos that I could find I realize that what I want and whats do-able just isn't gonna fly. So I've modified one of the Paths revisited builds to better fit what I'd like to have. Now I'm not going to be able to self heal but I'll get all the other things that I was wanting.

Level 20 True Neutral Human Male
(1 Fighter \ 19 Rogue)
Hit Points: 266
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 11
Reflex: 15
Will: 5

Strength 14 18
Dexterity 16 18
Constitution 14 16
Intelligence 14 14
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 8 8

Balance 7 29
Bluff 3 30
Concentration 2 5
Diplomacy -1 1
Disable Device 6 27
Haggle -1 11
Heal -1 1
Hide 7 37
Intimidate -1 1
Jump 2 8
Listen 3 24
Move Silently 7 37
Open Lock 7 29
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 2 4
Search 6 28
Spot 3 24
Swim 2 6
Tumble 7 10
Use Magic Device 3 24

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Improved Hide I
Enhancement: Improved Move Silently I

Level 2 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Oversized Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost I

Level 3 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh

Level 4 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity I

Level 5 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost II
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing I
Enhancement: Improved Hide II
Enhancement: Improved Move Silently II

Level 6 (Rogue)

Level 7 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin I

Level 8 (Rogue)

Level 9 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing II
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training II

Level 10 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy II

Level 11 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Opportunist
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy III
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training III

Level 12 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training IV

Level 13 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin II

Level 14 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Improved Evasion

Level 15 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy IV

Level 16 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost II

Level 17 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost III

Level 18 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Weapon Focus: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense I
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense II

Level 19 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin III
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense III

Level 20 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Improved Jump I
Enhancement: Rogue Improved Trap Sense IV

I messed up a tad bit on a few minor things that I am fixing in game but didn't on here. (it was late and I got a bit sleepy) rather than dump spare points into haggle I'm going to drop them into jump and tumble alternating between the two. A few of the enhancements are in the wrong spots, but overall I'm rather sure this build is a good solid Dps rogue build that I would enjoy. Let me know what ya think. Thanks in advance :)

well that's certainly different from the battlecleric. Keep in mind now, that if you join groups as a rogue, your expected to hit traps which will require gear and buffs. Rogues really aren't so great for solo play since the majority of their damage comes from sneak attack.

oh and don't bother splashing 1 lvl of fighter, you lose tons of damage from capstone and the 1 feat isn't worth it.

you can drop the weapon focus slashing feat and not lose a thing really.
lvl ups in strength and I'd drop the trap sense in favor of more human versatility.

I'd also advise on lightning reflexes over oversized two weapon fighting... but that's me.
I'd definitely take Diplomocy over bluff. They both accomplish the same thing, but diplo works on multiple targets.
Oh and make sure you take improved evasion.

for rogue bonus skills I rate them like so:
Improved evasion
Opportunist
Skill mastery
Crippling Strike (useful sometimes)

forget any others.

As a human, I'd lower int for a lot more str.

Alex301
06-11-2011, 06:54 PM
A rogue huh, that's about has far from a battle cleric as you can get :D

Have you played a rogue before? i generally wouldn't advise them for newer players as they have a more complicated play style, or at least it is if you want to get the most out of them. And if you're going rogue go 20, the capstone is too good to pass on.

Can i ask why you want the rogue abilities so much? There are few quests that actually feature locked chests/doors and even fewer that require you to unlock things to complete them. Most of them contain vendor trash too. As for traps you can survive most if you have the hp or build for evasion and have the saves to evade them.

If you want a solo build there really is no better than a caster, whether divine or arcane. Going solo as a rogue is more difficult and enemies will be a pain if you pull aggro. The ability to blind them will make life much easier, but items such as rad ii scimitars will be a while off.

Morgueman
06-11-2011, 08:15 PM
I dunno, I've always been a rogue style of player and it's what I know more than anything else. I love how they can make or break battles in most all games I've played through out the years. When I came to DDO I saw that there were true rogues who used the whole idea of planning ahead picking the right targets taking out traps for team members and saving all the team time and maybe a life or two.

With two handed characters the whole sneaking thing doesn't fit the feel of the character to me (other than those who use staves.). So when I desided to go back to rogue, I wanted one that fits the whole rogue concept and had combat skills that would let me be able to solo some mainly in the lower levels and once I get upto the higher levels I'll still have the skills needed in a party (traps and LP'ing) and be able to deal some decent damage (I know I'm killing myself with the 1 fighter level with sneak attack damage, but I'm giving that up for better survivability at lower levels.) I took bluff since it lets me pull one mob at a time in quests so I can take the group down to a more reasonable size before I take them on. With my FVS hireling's I am able to do alot of sneak attacks thanks to them constantly knocking them down and keeping agro on themselves. And for those few small times i need a fighter type I grab one of my guild mates or might pug one here and there.

I love to group up when I can, but as a dad who has kids there are times I have to afk, and I don't want to make others wait as I deal with what ever comes along.

Alex301
06-11-2011, 09:06 PM
TWF is much better damage on rogues too, but i would urge you to go full rogue. The capstone is an extra 4-24 sneak attack damage per hit. With an 80% off hand proc rate, that's normally 8-48 damage a swing. Is a slightly easier time leveling up worth it?

You can always grab a +1 heart i suppose and swap to pure rogue at a later stage. Its up to you.

Personally i would drop your int a bit and improve your str. Drop listen as a skill too. Its unnecessary anyway, but with spot as well it's completely useless. I'd pick up diplomacy in its place.

Rydin_Dirtay
06-13-2011, 05:53 PM
You miss out on the Rogue capstone! A 19/1 build is not as attractive as it once was.

Battlehawke
06-13-2011, 07:25 PM
Either go 2 Ftr or 6 Ftr or pure rogue..... Str based Assassin with high Con is the way to go.... Kensai is a nice bonus to compliment the toon and adds a lot of feats...

Ngha
06-15-2011, 09:13 PM
I have only one suggestion.

Get past level 14 and run some shrouds before you think you know what you want.

Rydin_Dirtay
06-16-2011, 12:40 PM
(I know I'm killing myself with the 1 fighter level with sneak attack damage, but I'm giving that up for better survivability at lower levels.)

I understand the allure of 1 Fighter splash for the new player (I made a 15 Rogue/1 Fighter back in 2008). The hit points alone are a nice cushion for mistakes you will make. However, my advice in 2011 is to go pure Rogue if you want to play an Assassin Rogue. At lev 20 you will have the best trash dps in the game.

Pick your spots at lower levels. Let the Barbs and Fighters move in first. Let the battle develop for a second or two before you strike. Then strike and watch the skulls fly up and the bodies hit the floor.