PDA

View Full Version : What classes can or can't "solo" to 20 with hirelings?

gothpixel
06-06-2011, 05:37 PM
What classes can get to 20 with just a hireling for company? Are there any that can't manage that?

I don't care much about end game raiding, or epics. Just getting from 1 to 20.

I know it's a multiplayer game, but my free time and temperament are more suited to playing alone.

I just wanted to know if there are any classes I should completely avoid. I'd rather not make it to level 13 and discover the class isn't up to it without uber gear or burning two stacks of potions per quest.

Thanks for the advice,
Pixel

Isolani
06-06-2011, 05:41 PM
Any class can get to 20 with hirelings. Rogue would probably the most difficult for a new player, in my opinion.

NUDS
06-06-2011, 05:43 PM
All classes can be easily soloed to 20, depending on player skill, knowledge of quests and game mechanics.

However, generally the easier classes to solo are Divines, Arcanes and Melee who have innate self-sufficiency(Pala, Monks, Rangers).

ProdigalGuru
06-06-2011, 05:46 PM
There are plenty of quests that are going to be virtually impossible for you to complete solo, with or without a hireling.

Learn some patience, and group more.

If you do not care about endgame content, why do you care about leveling at all?

No one build is going to make up for player skill (or lack thereof).

With large enough stacks of HP and SP pots, almost anyone can do almost anything.

Your question is subjective at best.

nibel
06-06-2011, 06:51 PM
If you do not care about endgame content, why do you care about leveling at all?

I can hit this one. Because I love mid-game content more than end-game content.

Possibly because every epic I ran it was either "this thing is too boring and easy" or "this thing is so unfair and I cant land anything". Very few things I did after level 18 was on that sweet spot where things are challenging, but usually you win if you dont mess up.

TheDearLeader
06-06-2011, 06:55 PM
I'd say the toughest would be Rogue or Bard.

So.. take any classes not those, and enjoy. :D

dkyle
06-06-2011, 07:00 PM
I'd say the toughest would be Rogue or Bard.

Melee Bards are highly soloable. I found mine more soloable, in general, than even my WF Wizard.

Can't speak for caster Bards.

TheDearLeader
06-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Melee Bards are highly soloable. I found mine more soloable, in general, than even my WF Wizard.

Can't speak for caster Bards.

That's true. There are many kinds of Bards.

Aashrym
06-06-2011, 08:05 PM
Caster bards are pretty soloable too. Taking a hireling with DV and healing, then using the bard SP for CC works well in a lot of places.

gothpixel
06-06-2011, 10:25 PM
Thanks all for the comments.

For me, it's about the journey, not the destination. No point in having an awesome character at 20 if I'm not having fun during 1-19.

Cheers,
Pixel

Bwahahaha
06-06-2011, 10:30 PM
My favorite toon is a 4th barbarian, 14th warchanter 2, and rouge 2.

Awesome versatility...

And the climb to 20th was a blast...

;)

ProdigalGuru
06-06-2011, 11:07 PM

For me, it's about the journey, not the destination. No point in having an awesome character at 20 if I'm not having fun during 1-19.

Cheers,
Pixel

The journey STARTS at 20.

1-19 is pre-school.

Esserbe
06-07-2011, 06:43 AM

Cheers,
Pixel

Human Pale Master Wizard. More feats, more spells, SP management and self heal = more fun! Bring along a hireling cleric to act as a mana battery with DVs (park it somewhere, call it when you want DVs or to refresh it at a shrine).

samho
06-07-2011, 07:17 AM
There are plenty of quests that are going to be virtually impossible for you to complete solo, with or without a hireling.

I'm sorry, not plenty. Beside raids, there are very few (if any) quests cannot be solo (especially with the help of hireling). Of course some class/race combine would be more difficult to accomplish, and you certainly need some knowledge before solo them successful, but the majority of regular quests can be done solo (or with the help of hireling).

To be honest, I had a hard time to think about what quest (beside raid, of course) hasn't been solo by player yet. (And I did solo a lot.)

Arctigis
06-07-2011, 07:24 AM
I'm sorry, not plenty. Beside raids, there are very few (if any) quests cannot be solo (especially with the help of hireling). Of course some class/race combine would be more difficult to accomplish, and you certainly need some knowledge before solo them successful, but the majority of regular quests can be done solo (or with the help of hireling).

To be honest, I had a hard time to think about what quest (beside raid, of course) hasn't been solo by player yet. (And I did solo a lot.)

I'm struggling to think of one six man instance which cannot be completed with the aid of hirelings.

mikesharpshooter
06-07-2011, 07:27 AM
thanks All For The Comments.

For Me, It's About The Journey, Not The Destination. No Point In Having An Awesome Character At 20 If I'm Not Having Fun During 1-19.

Cheers,
Pixel

+1 ;)

FrozenNova
06-07-2011, 07:27 AM
>It's all about the journey
>Going to make the journey on your own, using hirelings
Ohgod.

And yeah, 1-19 is the timewasting you have to go through before you can play your toon.

LoneWolfie
06-07-2011, 07:48 AM
>It's all about the journey
>Going to make the journey on your own, using hirelings
Ohgod.

And yeah, 1-19 is the timewasting you have to go through before you can play your toon.

lol i love seeing these comments on the forums
no offense but to new players the 1-19 is a blast
to vets who just think epics are all there is... well not so much
personally i enjoy playing solo and doing what i want when i want
there are tons of classes that can solo some are easier than others
all depends on your playstyle
do you want to take things slow and actually... oh my i can't believe i'm suggesting this... READ THE DIALOG...lol
do you want fast completions to get items/plat
depends on what you want to do with the character

FrozenNova
06-07-2011, 07:53 AM
The bits that make levelling fun are the players you find along the way - I can't imagine it being amusing doing it primarily alone.
I didn't claim it wasn't fun - when you've done it once, it's much the same when you do it again, and this time you're in it for the new character. The finished toon is only finished and ready to play for what it is when it caps.

zex95966
06-07-2011, 08:00 AM
The generally agreed upon best solo character is a battle cleric, or melee favored soul.

I'd recommend clerics for newbies, and souls for more experienced players.
Cleric lets you have more spell slots earlier, as well as more spells.
Favored soul gets saves and damage reduction.

MrkGrismer
06-07-2011, 08:24 AM
I'm struggling to think of one six man instance which cannot be completed with the aid of hirelings.

Necro 3; Tomb of the Forbidden (2 pairs of levers that have to be pulled nearly simultaneously, and as the levers require an item that must be traded between two players, a hireling will not suffice)

You can put up an LFM for someone to help you pull the lever and usually have somebody join within a minute or two tho.

I've 'soloed' (with hireling) three characters to 20 now (Paladin, Cleric, Bard) and it isn't terribly difficult to do. You do learn that some quests are more difficult than others to 'solo'. Some just because of levers/pads (Xorian Cipher you need either 3 hirelings or some other way to press 4 floor pads 'simultaneously', for instance). I didn't play alone 100% of the time, but the greater majority of the time I did. I am working on getting a rogue, monk and wizard up to 20 next. :D

Many (if not all) of the raids would also possibly be 'soloable' if they allowed hirelings in.

As for the 'journey vs. life begins at 20', my vote is in the journey category, once I can no longer 'advance' my character I have a lot less desire to play the character. Grinding for another +2 from some rare gear is not my idea of fun, but I understand other people enjoy it.

kcru
06-07-2011, 08:26 AM

Fleshmaker's laboratory. Did it last night solo and was really ticked when I discovered the "capture the air elementals by triggering 5 runes simultaneously" part.

dkyle
06-07-2011, 08:29 AM
Fleshmaker's laboratory. Did it last night solo and was really ticked when I discovered the "capture the air elementals by triggering 5 runes simultaneously" part.

I've heard it's possible with one hireling, but pretty tricky. The runes actually have a bit of leeway for their activation, so if you, and the hireling, move really quickly it could be possible.

gothpixel
06-07-2011, 08:40 AM
lol i love seeing these comments on the forums
no offense but to new players the 1-19 is a blast
to vets who just think epics are all there is... well not so much
personally i enjoy playing solo and doing what i want when i want
there are tons of classes that can solo some are easier than others
all depends on your playstyle
do you want to take things slow and actually... oh my i can't believe i'm suggesting this... READ THE DIALOG...lol
do you want fast completions to get items/plat
depends on what you want to do with the character

You covered it exactly. I want to experience the game, not just grind quests as fast as I can. The only group I've been able to do that with was a group of newbies who started the game together. That was a blast.

I'll probably try grouping more once I've soaked up that experience. And the groups I do eventually join will probably appreciate my having a clue about the modules we're running.

MrkGrismer
06-07-2011, 08:43 AM

Yeah, that one can be done solo with a hireling, it helps to have a monk or favorite soul tho because you have to pull those levers pretty quick.

I have done it duo with two hirelings, but I might have well been doing it solo with two hirelings... (sometimes good help is so hard to find ;) :D ). It is not one I like to do solo tho, and the same goes for the brothers, (event tho it can be done with hireling(s) ). The only one in the orchard I like doing is The Desecrated Temple of Vol. The others I find annoying.

Found an example Fleshmaker's on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQXL8EX4arI

BangsLiekWhoa
06-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Most any character can solo the majority of quests if they are careful/know the quests. Like other people said, arcanes and divines are easiest due to their self healing and such. Also, a TON of the mid-level stuff has undead...arcanes have fire to kill it, and divines have good/light damage spells to kill it. It is amazing how fast arcanes and divines can tear through undead. I have both types and they are both amazing fun and easy to solo through the levels.

I also LOVED leveling my bard and I still love playing her at 20. She is probably the most fun character I have to play. There are many styles of bards, and they can all be fun depending on your play style. I went with a human pure 20 bard warchanter 2 with THF. Swinging around a SoS or other big two handed weapon is great fun, but I am also able to heal parties through decently tough content without another "healer" in the party. The best part is when I am able to keep everyone alive while I am still in the fray beating stuff down with my two handers...so much fun.:D

Arctigis
06-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Hireling + mass suggestion. Easy Peasy (lemon squeezy).

Arctigis
06-07-2011, 09:33 AM
Necro 3; Tomb of the Forbidden (2 pairs of levers that have to be pulled nearly simultaneously, and as the levers require an item that must be traded between two players, a hireling will not suffice)
You can put up an LFM for someone to help you pull the lever and usually have somebody join within a minute or two tho.

Nope. If you break the lever pulling animation (it unlocks immediately) then it stays unlocked and a hireling
can then pull it. As the hireling is not capable of 'soloing' their side, you need to wait a couple of minutes for
the doors to unlock. I've done this many, many times.

I've 'soloed' (with hireling) three characters to 20 now (Paladin, Cleric, Bard) and it isn't terribly difficult to do. You do learn that some quests are more difficult than others to 'solo'. Some just because of levers/pads (Xorian Cipher you need either 3 hirelings or some other way to press 4 floor pads 'simultaneously', for instance). I didn't play alone 100% of the time, but the greater majority of the time I did. I am working on getting a rogue, monk and wizard up to 20 next. :D

Xorian requires one hireling to pull the lever. You just need a way of immobilizing the other mobs on the
plates. You can also 'push' the Boneshrieker archers onto the plates - once there, they don't move.

Here's a 3 minute solo completion if you don't believe me :p
http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?p=2888419#post2888419

So, any more 6-man instances that can't be soloed with a hireling?

kcru
06-07-2011, 11:06 AM
Yeah, that one can be done solo with a hireling, it helps to have a monk or favorite soul tho because you have to pull those levers pretty quick.

I have done it duo with two hirelings, but I might have well been doing it solo with two hirelings... (sometimes good help is so hard to find ;) :D ). It is not one I like to do solo tho, and the same goes for the brothers, (event tho it can be done with hireling(s) ). The only one in the orchard I like doing is The Desecrated Temple of Vol. The others I find annoying.

Found an example Fleshmaker's on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQXL8EX4arI

Hmmm. Mass suggestions, huh? I never really use hirelings. Guess I have to start.

As for Vol... Got up to the final battle, got disenchanted, and commanded repeatedly. Whoever did these two quests REALLY likes the "multiple enemies knocking you on your ass" motif. Didn't pull it out, but probably could have with a little more organization (really need to get Divine Vengence and Searing Light on hotkeys.)

Arctigis
06-07-2011, 11:10 AM
Hmmm. Mass suggestions, huh? I never really use hirelings. Guess I have to start.

As for Vol... Got up to the final battle, got disenchanted, and commanded repeatedly. Whoever did these two quests REALLY likes the "multiple enemies knocking you on your ass" motif. Didn't pull it out, but probably could have with a little more organization (really need to get Divine Vengence and Searing Light on hotkeys.)

It's worth getting a Fragment of the Silver Flame (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Item:Fragment_of_the_Silver_Flame) for that...

(permanent protection from evil)

Zenako
06-07-2011, 11:59 AM
I can think of a few (like Hiding in Plain Sight) that can be exceedingly hard with many builds. In that one your DPS rate needs to overcome their healing rate (since you do not have IK like effects available because they are Boss level dudes, a lot of spells don't work on them..)

Quests that require the simultaneous demise of multiple foes can be tricky to pull off (Tempest Spine, Ghosts of Perdition, etc). Doable, but far easier for some builds than others.

The other aspect is doing them at level or not. Quite a few quests are really hard to beat at level solo (unless you are really prepared for them and twinked), but become fairly easy to handle at higher levels (Devil Assault in the Marketplace barracks comes to mind.)

A well rounded Cleric character can handle quests with ease, AND it gives you a character that is almost always welcomed into groups later on if you choose to start joining them. The power of a cleric is largely based on innate spells and selectable feats and enhancements and not so much on gear as some builds need, meaning that even the difference between a well geared cleric and an average geared cleric is not overwhelming for most play circumstances. As a Cleric, you have cheap and abundant healing, you can fight just about as well as a pure melee at lower levels (up to about 6th) and have access to tons of useful spells and buffs and more.

samho
06-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Doing so with single hireling can be tricky (done it countless time when I farming sigil), but doable. it's best you can take care those air elementals beforehand so they stop annoying your hireling, and you better have jump/haste/feather fall on so you can pull 3 rune in the giving time. For my divine/arcane, i just charm (some or all) of the air elementals so they are either tamed or fight together with each other, then hireling can active 2 runes without too much trouble.

I'm glad that the whole necro chain beside abbot raid can be done by solo (with the help of standard hireling)

Some interesting point of Tomb of Burning Heart if you can't halt undead nor trip them -- get the lv 5 hireling cleric. He's dwarf (so ugly) and have turn undead, as his turn undead isn't good enough to turn all the undead inside but daze them, so you can simply use his turn undead to daze undead on one side then move to other side with him to active all 4 preasure platforms.

Tomb of Shadow Lord can be a bit tricky but a regular hireling can still pull off.

kcru
06-07-2011, 02:29 PM
It's worth getting a Fragment of the Silver Flame (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Item:Fragment_of_the_Silver_Flame) for that...

(permanent protection from evil)

Anyone notice if there's different odds of pulling the good rewards on normal/hard/elite? Got the bloodplate armor out of there, but neither the silver longbow or the fragment.

MrkGrismer
06-07-2011, 03:52 PM
Nope. If you break the lever pulling animation (it unlocks immediately) then it stays unlocked and a hireling
can then pull it. As the hireling is not capable of 'soloing' their side, you need to wait a couple of minutes for
the doors to unlock. I've done this many, many times.

I did not know this about the lever animation, but how do you 'break' it?

I mentioned 'or another way to press all four floor pads' in regards to Xorian Cypher.

dkyle
06-07-2011, 03:58 PM
I did not know this about the lever animation, but how do you 'break' it?

You know that yellow bar that goes across the top of the screen when you pull a lever?

Just move away before it fills.

The lever is unlocked when the animation starts, but the lever is only pulled when it ends. So if you interrupt, the lever stays unlocked and ready to be pulled by the hireling.

Alektronic
06-07-2011, 04:04 PM
Sounds like OP may actually be looking for more of a perma-death or static group experience. I'm saying, just enjoying the game for what it is w/out the meta-gaming gimmics. Just a suggestion:p.

somenewnoob
06-07-2011, 04:07 PM
You covered it exactly. I want to experience the game, not just grind quests as fast as I can. The only group I've been able to do that with was a group of newbies who started the game together. That was a blast.

I'll probably try grouping more once I've soaked up that experience. And the groups I do eventually join will probably appreciate my having a clue about the modules we're running.

Lower levels are a lot easier to solo. I don't think I joined a single group on my first toon until I was past level 10. Took a cleric hireling with me (fighter) and poked around all the quests I could. It really is a fun experience not knowing anything the first time you go into a quest and bumbling your way around, always felt like a real adventure.....off into the unknown!

Some of the higher level quests are pretty challenging with only a hireling, but you could still get to 20 solo ok I think.

You only get to have that new game experience for each game once, so enjoy it! Plenty of time for grouping later on! I've enjoyed grouping a lot more my 2nd time through a quest after having experience it alone the first time.

MrkGrismer
06-08-2011, 09:58 AM
You know that yellow bar that goes across the top of the screen when you pull a lever?

Just move away before it fills.

The lever is unlocked when the animation starts, but the lever is only pulled when it ends. So if you interrupt, the lever stays unlocked and ready to be pulled by the hireling.

I will give that a try next time thru. Thanks!