PDA

View Full Version : Rogue A newbie solo Pure Rogue - Need suggestion

xksimon
06-06-2011, 01:22 PM
Forget about the cost of Khopesh series, I will try my way out.
Just never want to touch with ANY TOME, they are too expensive.

Also the HP issue, since I will make this character become Past Life once I got the item that required.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 Neutral Good Halfling Male
(20 Rogue)
Hit Points: 180
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 10
Reflex: 16
Will: 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 14 19
Dexterity 17 17
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 12 14
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 8 8

Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 20)
Balance 7 9
Bluff 3 15
Concentration 2 3
Diplomacy -1 0
Disable Device 5 8
Haggle -1 0
Heal -1 0
Hide 7 21
Intimidate -1 0
Jump 2 7
Listen -1 2
Move Silently 7 19
Open Lock 7 9
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 1 3
Search 5 8
Spot 3 5
Swim 2 5
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device 3 5

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost I
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I

Level 2 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Halfling Luck (Fortitude) I
Enhancement: Halfling Luck (Will) I
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy I
Enhancement: Improved Hide I
Enhancement: Improved Move Silently I

Level 3 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Oversized Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Halfling Cunning I
Enhancement: Halfling Guile I

Level 4 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost II
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing I

Level 5 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Improved Hide II
Enhancement: Improved Move Silently II

Level 6 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost II
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin I

Level 7 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Halfling Cunning II
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing II
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training II

Level 8 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost III
Enhancement: Halfling Guile II

Level 9 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy II

Level 10 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Crippling Strike
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy III
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training III

Level 11 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Halfling Cunning III

Level 12 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons
Enhancement: Halfling Guile III
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin II

Level 13 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Improved Evasion
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training IV

Level 14 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy IV

Level 15 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost IV

Level 16 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Slippery Mind
Enhancement: Rogue Extra Action Boost I

Level 17 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Extra Action Boost II

Level 18 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack
Enhancement: Halfling Cunning IV
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin III

Level 19 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Skill Mastery
Enhancement: Halfling Guile IV

Level 20 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Deadly Shadow

Tinco
06-06-2011, 01:35 PM
A newbie solo Pure Rogue

I don't want to disappoint you - but this is not going to work. Soloing on rogues is 10% build, 10% skill and 80% equipment which you won't have as a new player. Playing a rogue as the first toon already is the hardest choice you could make, but as a solo 28 point character it's almost impossible past an certain point (~level 8-10 I guess).

And don't leave the house without the toughness feat. 14 con is bearable if you take care but not having toughness is not.

Just never want to touch with ANY TOME, they are too expensive.

You will find some sooner or later. I may add that you will find them sooner if you choose to party or - if you insist on soloing - choose another class. This is just my advice with the backup of having started DDO long ago with a rogue, which was not easy most of the time but instructional.

[EDIT]

Also the HP issue, since I will make this character become Past Life once I got the item that required.

And this is the third lesson I can give. Don't TR too soon for some minor bonuses! Enjoy yourself, get to 20, learn the game, learn the strengths and weaknesses of your build, learn to group, get some equipment and then do a TR.

[EDIT no. 2]

Your build is all over the place regarding skills. Search and Disable Device are pretty much required. Soloing without UMD is even harder than without. Look for some build around here in the forum, but from the 'mistakes' you made it gets even clearer that you are not ready yet for this endeavour.

xksimon
06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
What about NOT TO SOLO, and GROUPING as mainly way to leveling?

Srozbun
06-06-2011, 02:08 PM
1. Your HP is too low. Builds like this are the reason rogues have such a bad rep. as "first to die" and "squishy." Drop OTWF and take toughness.

2. As a pure rogue there is no reason not to take trap skills. Trap skills are invaluable to newer players who don't know how to bypass them or metagame their way through them. If you want to group to level faster, know that you will be expected to be able to do things like unlock doors and find and disable traps.

3. Agreed with Tinco. Pure rogues are not newbie friendly. You will have low HP. You will have low to hit. Without gear you won't have much UMD. If you want to solo, you'll find that your main source of damage (sneak attacks) does very little for you.

4. Interestingly, you don't want tomes because of the expense, yet you choose to spend a feat to specialize in the most expensive weapon, the Khopesh. Tomes are not as expensive as you think. Use your server trade channels and trade forum instead of the auction house. You will find that +1 tomes are practically free (if you ask nicely), and even +2 tomes can be easily acquired by the time you hit cap.

unbongwah
06-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Here's my 28pt halfling khopesh rogue Assassin build. If you don't have a +1 DEX tome before lvl 8, put your lvl 8 stat pt into DEX instead of STR.

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 20 True Neutral Halfling Female
(20 Rogue)
Hit Points: 222
Spell Points: 0
BAB: 15\15\20\25\25
Fortitude: 9
Reflex: 17
Will: 6

Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 20)
Strength 16 21
Dexterity 16 18
Constitution 14 14
Intelligence 8 10
Wisdom 8 8
Charisma 8 8

Tomes Used
+1 Tome of Dexterity used at level 8

Level 1 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Two Weapon Fighting

Level 2 (Rogue)

Level 3 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Toughness

Level 4 (Rogue)
Ability Raise: STR

Level 5 (Rogue)

Level 6 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Exotic Weapon Proficiency: Khopesh

Level 7 (Rogue)

Level 8 (Rogue)

Level 9 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Two Weapon Fighting

Level 10 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Opportunist

Level 11 (Rogue)

Level 12 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Improved Critical: Slashing Weapons

Level 13 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Improved Evasion

Level 14 (Rogue)

Level 15 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Greater Two Weapon Fighting

Level 16 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Crippling Strike

Level 17 (Rogue)

Level 18 (Rogue)
Feat: (Selected) Power Attack

Level 19 (Rogue)
Feat: (Rogue Bonus) Skill Mastery

Level 20 (Rogue)
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost I
Enhancement: Rogue Damage Boost II
Enhancement: Rogue Extra Action Boost I
Enhancement: Rogue Extra Action Boost II
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost II
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost III
Enhancement: Rogue Haste Boost IV
Enhancement: Rogue Deadly Shadow
Enhancement: Halfling Cunning I
Enhancement: Halfling Cunning II
Enhancement: Halfling Cunning III
Enhancement: Halfling Guile I
Enhancement: Halfling Guile II
Enhancement: Halfling Guile III
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing I
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing II
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing III
Enhancement: Rogue Subtle Backstabbing IV
Enhancement: Racial Toughness I
Enhancement: Racial Toughness II
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin I
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin II
Enhancement: Rogue Assassin III
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy I
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy II
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy III
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Accuracy IV
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training I
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training II
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training III
Enhancement: Rogue Sneak Attack Training IV
Enhancement: Improved Hide I
Enhancement: Improved Hide II
Enhancement: Improved Move Silently I
Enhancement: Improved Move Silently II
Enhancement: Rogue Dexterity I

game5551
06-06-2011, 03:32 PM
It hasnt really been spelled out yet, so I want to make sure you know that the vast majority of your damage comes from sneak attacks, which you can only do if you dont have agro, which wont work well solo. If they see you, you will have agro, and 60%+ of your damage disappears. You can eventually paralyze/blind enemies so you can sneak attack them, but that is not very realistic for a newbie build.

Also, you will spend vastly more on khopeshes from the auction house as you level than a tome.

What exactly are you looking for in a build? Trap skills? UMD? Khopesh twf?

For solo I would suggest a 18 ranger 2 rogue combo. The prestige will help your twf, you wont need to have dex be very high, the rogue splash will give you trap skills and UMD, and the ranger will let you self buff and use cure wands. Going dwarf would let you use dwarven axes which arent as good as khopeshes, but sort of close, dont take a feat, and dirt cheep in comparison in the AH.

If you really want pure rogue, I would plan on grouping, and read the above comments for more ideas.

Hollyella
06-07-2011, 01:28 AM
I don't want to disappoint you - but this is not going to work. Soloing on rogues is 10% build, 10% skill and 80% equipment which you won't have as a new player. Playing a rogue as the first toon already is the hardest choice you could make, but as a solo 28 point character it's almost impossible past an certain point (~level 8-10 I guess).
Somewhat concerning, considering im a Rogue myself, but I have to admit I've had no problems so far. I've fought enemies with a CR of 6 without issue and relied heavily on my ability to thwart traps and sneak attack tougher targets for that important bonus damage. With significant ranks in bluff, there are many enemies you can simply reduce your threat level with and catch them off guard.

Hirelings are also available for the purpose of soloing if you really need a bit more muscle on the tougher areas.

Ecoski
06-07-2011, 05:56 AM
Just to reiterate a few points that have been made, as I was foolish enough to make a rogue as my first character ^^ Unfortunately you're going to hit some problems quite early on, maybe by about level 6, and they're going to get worse the higher you get.

1. Health- The rogue's health is appalling, and although it makes up for it with SA, that doesn't really work in solo. To get ok-ish hp you need to fork out for the best con and false life items of that level.
2. To-hit- In the beginning, this isn't much of an issue, and by level 20, it won't really be an issue either. In between? Without the highest to-hit weapons possible, you're going to have some tough times if you're not sneak attacking.
3. Damage- Rogues do some of the best damage in the game. BUT this is only true if they don't have agro AND if the enemy can be sneak attacked. The best low/mid-level quests have undead by the cryptload, so no SA.
4. Skills- You must keep Disable device and Search maxed, it's hard to appreciate UMD at low levels, but it is one of the *best* skills later on, being able to use wands changes the game for rogues. You'll need some points in jump, at least 1 in tumble, some points in Open lock, spot if you're new so don't know where the traps are, and balance, because a rogue on its back with it's legs in the air is screwed.

All of these problems boil down to one thing. MONEY. A rogue is seriously expensive to run. You'll need:

- Best thieves tools available
-Best search item available
- Best disable device item going
- Highest to-hit weapons going (forget about flaming/shocking/uberness you need to get high to-hit. The one exception may be backstabbing. But that's a big maybe.)
-Best false life item
-Best con item
-Lots of health potions
-Tomes (int is very useful, as is con, str and dex. What's more for dex you'll need 17 by level 8 or so, so it's better to have a tome banked, and an int tome is best used asap, to get as many skill points as possible)

A barbarian needs:

-An axe (ran from level 4-16 with the antique greataxe, made it to 10 before with just a +1 flaming burst)
-Some potions
-That's it

I'd suggest you make a different character and get some money before trying a rogue, they're too expensive, time consuming and difficult for you to play the game and enjoy yourself. It's better to run as a simpler to kit out class, so you can learn about the quests (i.e where the lethal traps are)

Sorry for the wall o' text ;)

Edit: On the point of bluff (and diplomacy). Bluff is invaluable in a group, and can be used for soloing, BUT it has issues.
- It effects 1 monster
- It can fail
- It doesn't effect all monsters
- It has a cooldown
Monsters won't fight one at a time, they attack in groups, unless you bluff-pull enemies, which takes aaaaages. Diplomacy is a reverse intimidate, and only works if there's someone else for the mob to beat on.

karl_k0ch
06-07-2011, 06:28 AM
While not being a pure (or even lightly splashed) rogue, I propose a 12 Ranger/7 Rogue/1X build, for the following reasons:

You don't need a Dex Tome for TWF weapon line and you can still go Str-based.
You'll have some sneak attack damage (5d6+9) when you are in a party and can land your backstabbing damage.
You'll have better damage against Mobs which are immune to SA damage (undead, elementals) and or on which you can't land sneak attacks at the moment, due to Favored Enemies and/or Ram's Might.
You'll have the full trap skills of a rogue. If you want to, you can even take the Mechanic I PrE to offset gear lackage.
You'll have the very useful Rogue Haste Boost III, which enhances your attack speed.
The Ranger spell list offers nice self-buffing options (e.g. Ram's Might, Elemental Resists, Jump) and unlocks the usage of wands from the very beginning, i.e. Level 2.

For instance, you could try this one: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=313740

Imho, it has quite some self-sufficiency and allows to get a rough idea of playing a rogue. This build is more forgiving if you don't land SA damage, though.

thouston
06-28-2011, 08:30 AM
i started w/ a 28pt rogue. i can attest to the advice that others here have given.
i finally managed to get to lv 7 and shelved him for being too squishy.

i ran across this thread http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=234018
and i started a second toon following that build. capped him, learned a bunch of stuff along the way, made some plat and used it to go back to my squishy toon.

i changed my enhancements and some gear and found i didnt die nearly as much. that toon is now lv 17

Darkrok
06-28-2011, 08:41 AM
Don't have time for a full build-out but I'd go Human due to the number of feats I think a pure rogue is going to need solo. There are 3 feats that make solo rogue play tolerable imo: Sap, Combat Expertise (prerequisite), Improved Feint. With this setup you can use bluff to pull things. You can use Sap to add some crowd control and also to set up assassinates after you pull. And once you're toe-to-toe Improved Feint doesn't break the attack chain and has an 8 second rather than 15 second cooldown. In addition to those 3 feats you'll want Toughness, PA, TWF, iTWF, gTWF. If you've got your mind up on staying pure then that's it even with the extra feat on a human. You'll probably end up having to drop Sap in favor of Improved Critical as a pure but that's going to greatly effect the soloability of this character. Splashing a level of Monk could ease that issue as well as allow you to use handwraps and give you a bit of extra ac.

Feithlin
06-28-2011, 12:59 PM
As everybody said, "newbie", "solo" and "rogue" don't work well together, especially with the first.
Rogues rely heavily on gear, and getting gear has become a real issue since cannith craft came out. Here follow some propositions:
* If you really want to play a pure rogue, first create another character to earn the gear for your rogue.
* If you want to experience trapsmithing (and imo it is a very nice part of DDO), you don't need to be pure rogue. Good options for soloing and disabling traps are: the Exploiter (Ranger 18 / Rogue 1 / Monk 1 or Fighter 1 if you don't have monk ; start with rogue level) or a Wizard 18/Rogue 2.