PDA

View Full Version : Wizard Vs. Sorcerer

ImpishX
06-05-2011, 11:33 AM
I've just read through the enhancements of wizards & sorcerers. Most are the same, but in the end Sorcerers get a free 20% more damage with all empowerable abilities. Sorcerers also get more spell points to cast more often, and cast faster. And I'm sure it's not too hard for a Sorc to develop a good basic spell setup so they don't need to change their spell set that often.

Wizards get...... just.. more spells? How does that make up for doing so much less damage along with not being able to cast as much?

Trillea
06-05-2011, 11:47 AM
I've just read through the enhancements of wizards & sorcerers. Most are the same, but in the end Sorcerers get a free 20% more damage with all empowerable abilities. Sorcerers also get more spell points to cast more often, and cast faster. And I'm sure it's not too hard for a Sorc to develop a good basic spell setup so they don't need to change their spell set that often.

Wizards get...... just.. more spells? How does that make up for doing so much less damage along with not being able to cast as much?

It's about flexibility vs. focused power. With the plethora of items that add SP the difference between Wiz and Sorc is not as much as you may think. Both can easily have enough SP to get from shrine to shrine if you know how to use them, and this is doubly true since they added spell-like abilities.

So at the end of the day it boils down to this:

Go wiz first, figure out which spells you like, then graduate to sorcerer and never run out of SP again! ;)

Really though, it's a flavor choice, and both are extremely fun to play.

KillEveryone
06-05-2011, 11:48 AM

A wiz can more easily get a high DC since they have a few extra class feats so they can fit in those spell schools.

Same goes for spell pen.

A wiz has access to all spells and can swap out spells for the situation when they hit a shrine or tavern. A sorcerer has to go to a trainer to swap spells and wait 3 days but I think there is a TP option now that lets them swap more often at a trainer(not quite sure how this works and I hope it doesn't just let them swap every hour.)

A sorcerer nuke power is better with their capstone. A wiz can nuke but a sorcerer is better.

Aurora1979
06-05-2011, 11:49 AM
In theory sorcerers are the blast damagers while the wizard has higher DC's making them better at insta-kills and crowd control.

I shelved my wizards after U9 though so I cant comment on todays standards much.

Since the savant release theres alot of people trying out the sorcerers.... but then, there would be as its a new pre.

ImpishX
06-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I have now heard "TR" like 50 times... what's TR.. somthing about power leveling?

Trillea
06-05-2011, 11:51 AM
lol i expected there to be some big thing that a wizard would be better than a sorc at.

So basically.... In the end, Sorc are way better in groups..

Wizards do get higher spell DCs, so they are better at stuff like instakill, but that's only really at late midgame to endgame that you really see much of a difference.

Trillea
06-05-2011, 11:52 AM
I have now heard "TR" like 50 times... what's TR.. somthing about power leveling?

TR is True Reincarnation - it is taking a character to level 20, and then recreating it with more build points and having to relevel it up, needing more XP to do so. You also get a past life feat depending on what class was your dominant class when you TR'd.

Gkar
06-05-2011, 11:59 AM

Let me introduce you to DDOwiki. One of the best sources of info on the game :)

http://ddowiki.com/page/Reincarnation?useskin=sparseman#True_Reincarnation

ReaperAlexEU
06-05-2011, 12:03 PM
sorcs are better nukers but wiz's are better at controlling the fight. or to put it another way, the wiz can take the right spell for the quest, the sorc will find situations where they just don't have the right spell.

one main advantage wiz's have over sorcs is the palemaster prestige. with that any race can be a self healing caster (normally limited to warforged, a premium race). its not black and white though as with a massive CHA score UMD can help sorcs self heal (pro tip, always max UMD out on a sorc!), but a palemaster still has better self healing powers and they kick in a lot earlier too.

also many direct damage spells suffer from half, or zero damage if the monster saves. as mentioned a wiz can typically get a higher DC (difficulty check) to prevent mobs from saving as often. same applies to crowd control and insta-kill spells. there are only a handful of spells that don't allow a saving throw.

at the end of the day both are great classes. it sounds like you prefer the more direct approach of nuking, so the sorc will be hands down the better choice for you. its a bit like the difference between a barbarian and a ranger or paly, all 3 classes are great, the barbarian is your direct damage approach, the other 2 have more tricks to bring to the fight. some like the focused power of a more direct class, others prefer more flexibility. i really can't state it enough that there is no right or wrong here, only how you prefer to play.

ImpishX
06-05-2011, 12:11 PM
Actually I kind of wanted to bring utility & versatility, not just pure damage that sorcs do. So I'm probably going for the wizard.

Trillea
06-05-2011, 12:14 PM
Actually I kind of wanted to bring utility & versatility, not just pure damage that sorcs do. So I'm probably going for the wizard.

Sounds like a good choice for you then. Have fun with it! :D

Silverwren
06-06-2011, 07:49 AM

You can also visit this forum sticky thread to look up the acronyms that everyone uses.

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=193439

eruhuan
06-06-2011, 07:55 AM
a wizard has 5 more free "metamagic" feats. That is the main advantage of wizard aside from the extreme flexibility they can bring in any quest such as swappable spells and more spell slots.