PDA

View Full Version : New Player friendly builds.

Helexax
06-04-2011, 12:51 PM
So recently ive got a friend to come play DDO with us on Orien. I have some knowledge of the game, playing from 07 to when it went F2P. I am looking for some new player solo and party friendly builds, as we plan to duo our way to lvl 20. Thoughts? Builds? New info i may not know since F2P release?

Not sure how to ask what i want to know.

PresentTense
06-04-2011, 12:56 PM
The best solo or duo builds, imho, will always be a warforged wizard 18/rogue 2 and a warforged favored soul 20 lord of blades. Each can heal themselves or the other, you have access to both arcane and divine magic, the wizard can handle any traps you run into, and the favored soul can melee dps. Either is perfectly fine on its own, they work together amazingly with just two people, and they'll both be welcome in parties. I don't think either one is too complicated for a newer player, and there are lots of examples of these all over the forums. It does mean he/she will have to buy warforgred, and maybe favored soul depending on who takes that role, but I think you'll be happy with the pairing.

Dulcimerist
06-04-2011, 12:58 PM
Melee tends to be a bit easier for new players. Bard Warchanter or Paladin can be fairly easy to play, and come with some handy healing abilities. My first toon was a Barbarian, which was pretty straightforward to play; but the lack of built-in healing was a drawback as a new player at times.

Helexax
06-04-2011, 01:02 PM
At this point it seems unlikely for him to spend any money on this game at all, getting him to premium is a chore i do not look forward to. I do like the sound of that duo though... any way to adapt it to F2P races? ....talking to him now, he seems dead set on an AA for his first toon...thoughts on what i can pair with it?

edit* - i have made it clear to him the importance of not dumping con, and the ability to swap weapons when a mob gets in his face, and beat it down instead of kiting -

Zachski
06-04-2011, 02:49 PM
Arcane Archer, huh...?

Hmm...

Perhaps a Warchanter Bard? You won't be getting as much use out of Inspire Courage or Inspire Recklessness as you would in a full party, but at the same time, you can act as a melee to complement his ranged style. (Just make sure that he brings the mobs to you, not just to him, but it sounds like you've covered that.) Furthermore, you can heal and cast Blur/Displacement on you and your friend, and once your UMD gets high enough, you can use Heal Scrolls. Also, Warchanter Ironskin Chant will help out in the low levels.

Noobian
06-04-2011, 03:25 PM
Or try a melee capable Cleric maybe? Human Cleric 19/Fighter 1, a bit o' DPS, a smidge of casting and good general healing. He can kite through your BBs and you can hit them with greater commands, holds, or just a big flippin' stick, plus RS II for undead and auras, could be a nice combo with an AA...

*shrugs*

Helexax
06-04-2011, 03:27 PM
I like that idea Zach, and noobian, though i think ill give bard a shot, got any links for a good warchanter ( broke guy friendly )

Noobian
06-04-2011, 03:30 PM
Classic Rocker is a very nice general WC Bard build (Bard 20). Or got Bard 18 (WCII)/Fighter 2.

Your AA Buddy could go Ranger 19, Rogue 1 or Ranger 18, Fighter 1, Rogue 1 with rogue skills unlocked you'd be a fairly well rounded duo...

Noobian
06-04-2011, 03:32 PM
Classic Rocker: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=249865

Don't know how to do the "link" thing...

Helexax
06-04-2011, 03:40 PM
Classic Rocker: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=249865

Don't know how to do the "link" thing...

+1 ^_^

Thanks for the link.

Twidger
06-08-2011, 12:00 PM
You could also check out this thread for build ideas:

http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=232660

It includes an AA build:

http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2882691&postcount=90

Note: You're better off putting level ups in STR than DEX for the AA, otherwise the build is good.

MindCake
06-18-2011, 03:23 AM
warforged wizard 18/rogue 2 and a warforged favored soul 20
That does sound unstoppable. But also expensive.

How about a a bard (TWF warchanter) with a rogue splash, and an offensive-casting cleric? To be honest, I don't know much about multiclassing bard, I just heard it's good (except for spell-CC spell singer). And if it's a static team, there needs to be one person with traps and locks.