PDA

View Full Version : archer- what gear?

psteen1
06-02-2011, 09:12 AM
Hi all,

I'm trying to start up an archer character... My question is, what is the best gear nowadays (both leveling and end game) for an archer to try to get and where do you get it? I know there has been some new bows and stuff in the new content.

By the way, I know that archers are gimped and many people think they suck. They are still fun to play. Just wanted to address that elephant in the room, so people don't feel the need to tell me that. :)

BangsLiekWhoa
06-02-2011, 09:31 AM
Probably the best bow for leveling up is the Silver Longbow (named item) which is found in the quest "The Church and the Cult" in House P. It is a ML:6 longbow that does 1d10 damage, has a holy mod, and has a 19-20 crit range. This is one die step higher damage than similar bows and double the critical threat range.

EDIT: Plus, when you get to the point that you need to break DR, just slap in some House D silver/cold iron arrows and you are set.

A couple things you may want to shoot for later on are a Lightning Strike bow (+5 Supreme Tyrant Green Steel Longbow of Lightning) and the Quiver of Alacrity (http://itemwiki.cubicleninja.com/myddo/ItemDetails.aspx?itemID=156).

stille_nacht
06-02-2011, 09:34 AM
in addition to above silver bow when manyshotting, if you really dont want to switch to TWF out of manyshot, consider getting any paralyzing bow, as these can work wonders in many mid or even high level quests, especially with imp. precise shot

BangsLiekWhoa
06-02-2011, 09:39 AM
in addition to above silver bow when manyshotting, if you really dont want to switch to TWF out of manyshot, consider getting any paralyzing bow, as these can work wonders in many mid or even high level quests, especially with imp. precise shot

Yeah, this will definitely be something else you want to pick up.

psteen1
06-02-2011, 11:13 AM
there is also the new quivering quiver from Harbinger of Madness, and there are the Howling Wind Bracers from the ship blockade quest, and the TOD arcane archer items.

Any other must haves out there?

PestWulf
06-02-2011, 11:18 AM
when you hit 13, I highly recommend the Wind Howler Bracers. You can get them from the Blockade Buster quest out of Stormreach Plaza series.

DDOWiki.com lists them as 10d6 damage on a vorpal, but the calculation is different than 10d6. Unless the mob makes their reflex save, I don't believe i've ever seen lower than 50 damage when they proc. So likely the damage is more like 40+10d2 or some such.

Here's a link to them: http://ddowiki.com/page/Wind_Howler_Bracers

When I got my pair, they made a much larger difference than I would have thought considering they only proc on a 20.

Kominalito
06-02-2011, 11:24 AM
once you get a nice bow, a pair of khopeshes is probably the best bet. ;P

krackythehoodedone
06-02-2011, 11:39 AM
Yes you must invest in a reasonable Con to start and max out your Str as well as Dex.

Endgame aim for 30 dex (36 if going Epics) then you will hit most things.

Pile the remainder into Str..This is V important.

Ultimate gear would include...Epic Thornlord and Mari Chain (mucks up evasion tho). Litany or Pirate trinket. Epic Gloves and Bracers of Claw. Monk and/or AA Tod sets.

A couple of GS bows..Lightning 11 probably the best allrounder

3 Ranger past lifes for +6 Damage

Items that will give you +3 exep Str/Dex & Con.

But this is the ultimate and represents a big commitment in time and effort