PDA

View Full Version : Air Savant - Wind Dance cooldown

slimkj
05-31-2011, 02:24 PM
Please make this a 3 sec cooldown and cost 5 SP as per the FVS leap. Can't see any good reason why it's different in either respect. Especially the cost being higher for an effect that can be used less often...

Rian
05-31-2011, 02:30 PM
Would be nice for air savants, seein as they're the only savant without a dmg Savant III special SLA.

Either that or let them shoot lightning out as they Dance across the Wind :p

Xenostrata
05-31-2011, 02:37 PM
Would be nice for air savants, seein as they're the only savant without a dmg Savant III special SLA.

Either that or let them shoot lightning out as they Dance across the Wind :p

That sounds actually kind of cool, perhaps having a small AoE damage/effect spell set off in whatever area you are leaping away from (electric from the charge, or knockdown from the wind).

I concur with the OP, however. Not only is the FvS cooldown half the Air Sav one, but they actually fly farther in a leap (tested this with a pure FvS in the market place while we were waiting to run an eChrono). The only thing Air Sav does better than an FvS is that they farther when they cast it without jumping (Air Sav go the same difference when they use it from a jump and just standing still, FvS go about twice as far when jumping).

Varrek
05-31-2011, 02:41 PM
Either that or let them shoot lightning out as they Dance across the Wind :p[/QUOTE]

I vaguely remember a spell like that from 3.5. You turn into a bolt of lightning and damage everyone in your path.

Battery
05-31-2011, 03:04 PM
That sounds actually kind of cool, perhaps having a small AoE damage/effect spell set off in whatever area you are leaping away from (electric from the charge, or knockdown from the wind).

wouldn't be able to use it in public then and I kinda like using it in public

Cardtrick
05-31-2011, 03:10 PM
Please make this a 3 sec cooldown and cost 5 SP as per the FVS leap. Can't see any good reason why it's different in either respect. Especially the cost being higher for an effect that can be used less often...

I'm all for making this change.

The only reasonable argument against it would be one of balance . . . but come on, you can't really discuss "balance" in the same sentence as "favored soul."

Xenostrata
05-31-2011, 04:14 PM
I'm all for making this change.

The only reasonable argument against it would be one of balance . . . but come on, you can't really discuss "balance" in the same sentence as "favored soul."

Especially for such a non-combat centered ability, it would be like balancing the monk's water walk ability (regardless of abbot). While useful in some situations, the difference is only really in convenience. Might as well make it equally convenient for everyone.

Dispel
05-31-2011, 06:40 PM
It costs less for FVS because...

1) FVS is pay-to-play content.
2) FVS need their SP to heal people.
3) You won't see a FVS using SLA like an Air Savant.

It's not that big of a deal, and I don't mind if they do change it to how you suggest.

But, there are 3 reasons they might have against it.

Diyon
05-31-2011, 07:06 PM
I like the bit of lightning damage idea. As long as you can still use it in public areas.

Bunker
05-31-2011, 07:23 PM
It costs less for FVS because...

1) FVS is pay-to-play content.
2) FVS need their SP to heal people.
3) You won't see a FVS using SLA like an Air Savant.

It's not that big of a deal, and I don't mind if they do change it to how you suggest.

But, there are 3 reasons they might have against it.
Just because FvS is P2P menas nothing in this thread.
Why is SP for healing different from SP for killing?

Your reasons are fail. If the ability is the same. The affects are the same. The cost and cooldown should be the same.

yes/no

Rian
05-31-2011, 10:24 PM
Just because FvS is P2P menas nothing in this thread.
Why is SP for healing different from SP for killing?

Your reasons are fail. If the ability is the same. The affects are the same. The cost and cooldown should be the same.

yes/no

SPs used for killing keeps my redbar from going down.
SPs used for healing fills my red bar back up.
they both keep my red bar high
Same destination, different paths. :p

However, as someone stated above, there's a difference in distance traveled which probably factors into the cost/cooldown, but it shouldn't be different in cooldown/cost by a lot

slimkj
06-01-2011, 02:23 AM
I'm not sure that the distance is different is correct. I'll happily be proven wrong but they feel exactly the same in practice.

Dispel
06-01-2011, 08:40 AM
Fact is: FVS and Monk are both P2P content.

Leap of Faith and Abundant Step have a 3s cooldown.

I'd rather not whine about the gift the devs have given us.

Ridag
06-01-2011, 08:47 AM
Fact is: FVS and Monk are both P2P content.

Leap of Faith and Abundant Step have a 3s cooldown.

I'd rather not whine about the gift the devs have given us.

I don't think that P2P should have any bearing on abilities .

FvS and Monk receive their leap abilities for free as a class ability, Sorcerers must invest heavily in AP and Feats to gain access to it. I think the cool down should be the same all the way around.

Xenostrata
06-01-2011, 08:52 AM
SPs used for killing keeps my redbar from going down.
SPs used for healing fills my red bar back up.
they both keep my red bar high
Same destination, different paths. :p

However, as someone stated above, there's a difference in distance traveled which probably factors into the cost/cooldown, but it shouldn't be different in cooldown/cost by a lot

Except that the FvS ability (cheaper, less cooldown) goes farther than the Air Sav ability (at least when used from a jump, which is what most people do. If they are both using it without jumping, Air goes farther).

I don't really care about the cost (it's a single digit number on the two classes that get the most sp), but I think the cooldowns should be equal in both cases.

Dispel
06-01-2011, 08:58 AM
I don't think that P2P should have any bearing on abilities .

FvS and Monk receive their leap abilities for free as a class ability, Sorcerers must invest heavily in AP and Feats to gain access to it. I think the cool down should be the same all the way around.

Good point.

Xenostrata
06-01-2011, 09:18 AM
I'm not sure that the distance is different is correct. I'll happily be proven wrong but they feel exactly the same in practice.

I understand your doubts :p

Me and the FvS lined up on the west facing stairs to the south east of the airship tower in the marketplace, and both faced directly west. There were 4 tests: one standing still, one using the ability and running forward, one jumping straight up, and one jumping straight up and moving forward. The moving forward ones were harder to gauge, but fit in with the other two results.
When standing without movements, the Air Sav leap got me to about the edge of the stairs leading down to where the Degenev brothers had been, the FvS got between 1/2 and 3/5 that far.
Running forward, I got a good ways onto the stairs, and the FvS made it about 3/4 the way to the edge of the stairs.
When we both jumped, I made it to exactly the same place I had gone without jumping (the edge of the other stairs), but the FvS (who decided to angle himself a bit, dunno why), made it to ladder to the slightly raised platform.
When we repeated this test with the forward key, this time with both of us aiming at the ladder, the FvS landed at the top of the ladder and I landed just barely short of the ladder.

We were mostly testing for fun, so I didn't take screenies. I might try again later.