PDA

View Full Version : Does lvl of toon opening chest affect quality of loot?

CameraGeek
05-29-2011, 12:20 AM
I was in a group earlier today, and one of the players insisted that since I was the highest level character in the group, I should be the first person to open any treasure chests because my doing so would improve the quality of the loot for everyone. I've only been playing for about three months now, but that's the first that I've heard of that. So, I have couple of questions.

1. Is that true?

2. If true, and if the toon opening the chest has a Jewel Of Fortune active would that further improve the quality of the loot for everyone?

Thank you.

Keith

katana_one
05-29-2011, 12:23 AM
Everyone knows you have to use Diplomacy on the chest before you open it.

:D

Baahb3
05-29-2011, 12:25 AM
1. No

2. No

Dexol
05-29-2011, 12:28 AM
THe only buff a player can cast on a chest that will affect the whole party is the greater dragonmark of finding (http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Feat:Greater_Dragonmark_of_Finding)

ElfedLied4
05-29-2011, 12:31 AM
Like Baahb3 said, no and no. A chest holds the same loot no matter who opens it. A loot weekend (or other event) can increase loot levels for everyone. A Dragonmark of Finding can increase the loot level for everyone. A loot gem increases the loot level only for the person with the gem.

There is ransack, which after looting a chest too many times reduces and then eliminates loot.

There is one other situation in which chest loot can be decreased. If a low level person is in a high level quest, their personal loot (and only for them) will be lower than what the chest normally drops. This doesn't effect anyone else in the quest.

vVAnjilaVv
05-29-2011, 01:07 AM
What are you guys talking about...or course your level affects the loot in a chest.

If a level 4 opens a chest and pulls a +1 holy greataxe....WOOHOO!!!!

If a level 10 pulls that same greataxe....big deal :mad: :p

But that being said OP...the only things that affect loot is jewel of fortune, bonus loot time from Turbine, difficulty setting, and of course how far past ransack you may be.

Might of missed something there, but that about covers it.

CameraGeek
05-29-2011, 02:52 AM
Thank you. That confirms what I thought, but I didn't know for sure. To vVanjilaVv, what someone in a group that I was in said, was that if a lvl 5 character is the first person to open a chest then that sets the quality of the loot for everyone who loots that chest. A lvl 3 character will then get better loot then he would have gotten if he had been the first to open the chest. On the other hand, a lvl 7 character would get worse loot in the same situation.

The consensus is that this is wrong. Instead the quality of the loot is based on the individual level of each individual character that clicks on the chest, and if I open the chest, that has no impact on what you will receive. Only your level, and presumably the level range of the dungeon, and the selected difficulty level.

Again, thank you, everyone.

Keith

Smelt92
05-29-2011, 03:30 AM
contraversally (hmmm.... my brainis refusing to tell me how to spell that word) I have noticed that the only thing that effects loot in a chest (obviously besides loot weekends, loot gems and dragon marks), and this is only for the character's personal loot in a chest is the characters name!

Let me explain...

I moved from the EU servers shortly after F2P was released on the american servers and as such I had to start over. I'm an altaholic and always have lots of characters on lots of servers. I found myself in the harbour with characters ranging from 2nd to 4th level and started to farm durks for muck banes. I kept the quest ransacked for weeks without success. Ok i only had muck's chest ransacked on one toon, muck hardly spawned at all for the others.

I finally desided that it was a quirk of the american servers, a bit like the way the CLW pots drop like candy from arrels on these servers but were fairly rare in the EU, and moved on. A while later I had rolled another toon and got a muck bane on his first durk's on casual setting. wow i thought finally. I repeated the quest on normal and as expected nothing. Repeated on hard and then elite, muck spawned both times and I got another muck bane from one of the chests.

I now have a toon with the same name on all servers and they all have between a 40% to 60% pull rate on muck and over 50% of getting a bane when muck spawns.

Matuse
05-29-2011, 03:52 AM
Your loot is your own. If you are radically under the level of the chest, the chest will spawn stuff that is your level. I brought a level 5 alt character into a level 14 quest, and he was looting masterwork stuff from the chests there.

But that had no impact on anyone else's loot.