PDA

View Full Version : Shortsword and Rapier TWF

hideyoshi1973
05-27-2011, 03:13 PM
I have seen posts that reccomend a Rapier and Shortsword combo for low level TWF and then switching to dual rapiers around lvl 6. After looking at the stats for each weapon, I'm curious about this reccomendation. The only difference appears to be rapiers have a better chance to crit. Wouldn't it makes sense to have dual rapiers from beginnning?

lethargos
05-27-2011, 03:20 PM
Light weapon in offhand (shortsword) lessens tohit penalty of two weapon fighting.

Calebro
05-27-2011, 03:21 PM
At low levels the -2 just for TWF'ing is kind of harsh. Taking a -4 is really harsh.
And the people that recommend switching to dual rapiers at level 6 are hard core twinked. I usually keep using rapier/ss until around 9-12, and even beyond that sometimes depending on the toon.
*and that's with a bunch of twink gear*

THOTHdha
05-27-2011, 03:22 PM
In addition to the crit range, Rapiers are one-handed weapons that can be used with Finesse. Short swords are light weapons.

If you are hitting your targets on attack rolls of 2, then you're definitely better off with dual Rapiers. At low levels many people find the penalty to-hit from using two one-hand weapons rather than a light weapon in the off hand is not worth the increase you get from a rapier. As you get higher level you will more often be able to hit your foe on any die roll except a 1.

Once you get Improved critical: Piercing the 1 point difference in their ranges becomes at 2 point difference. That is also around the time you should be hitting 95% of the time anyways for a focused melee.

suszterpatt
05-27-2011, 05:28 PM
I have seen posts that reccomend a Rapier and Shortsword combo for low level TWF and then switching to dual rapiers around lvl 6. After looking at the stats for each weapon, I'm curious about this reccomendation. The only difference appears to be rapiers have a better chance to crit. Wouldn't it makes sense to have dual rapiers from beginnning?
Normally, using two weapons with the TWF feat incurs a -4/-4 penalty to attack. If the offhand weapon is a light weapon, or if you have the Oversized TWF feat, this improves to -2/-2. Shortswords are light weapons, while rapiers are not.

pappo
05-29-2011, 02:44 PM
At low levels the -2 just for TWF'ing is kind of harsh. Taking a -4 is really harsh.
And the people that recommend switching to dual rapiers at level 6 are hard core twinked. I usually keep using rapier/ss until around 9-12, and even beyond that sometimes depending on the toon.
*and that's with a bunch of twink gear*

What does "twinked" mean ?

stille_nacht
05-29-2011, 02:56 PM

slang word for "super geared"

FrozenNova
05-29-2011, 03:55 PM

Specifically, overgeared past all expectations for their level. A toon can't be twinked at 20, he's just well geared.
A level 4 toon with 2x shock khopesh of pure good and a greater stalwart trinket is twinked.