PDA

View Full Version : Expand the Faiths

dragons1ayer74
05-26-2011, 12:45 PM
I would ultimately like to see domain enhancements line implemented. That I see as a major overhaul so here is an interim solution to bring some variety to our divine brethren.

I would like to see a nice variety of choice so that every non elf/drow/warforged is not stuck with very limited options often resulting in being a champion/favored/child/beloved of Dol Dorn. Some might say that the Dark Six is inherently evil and goes against all that is good this is not entirely true they have many neutral and even some good worshipers and align themselves against the Sovereign Host. Also precedence has been already set in a way because Vulkoor and Lord of Blades are evil powers.

"Sovereign Host" Expansion
My suggestion is to expand the Sovereign Host. These progressions would also apply to the favored souls prestige feats "Child of" and "Beloved of" in addition to replacing the "Champion of" clerical/paladin enhancements.
Favored by Arawai of the Sovereign Host (Morningstar)
Favored by Aureon of the Sovereign Host (Quarterstaff)
Favored by Balinor of the Sovereign Host (Battleaxe)
Favored by Boldrei of the Sovereign Host (Spear*)
Favored by Dol Arrah of the Sovereign Host (Halberd**)
Favored by Dol Dorn of the Sovereign Host (Longsword)
Favored by Kol Korran of the Sovereign Host (Heavy Mace and Light Mace)
Favored by Olladra of the Sovereign Host (Sickle)
Favored by Onatar of the Sovereign Host (Warhammer)

New "Dark Six" Faith
Similar to "Sovereign Host" faith enhancement lines and feats.

Favored by The Devourer of the Dark Six (Trident***)
Favored by The Fury of the Dark Six (Rapier)
Favored by The Keeper of the Dark Six (Scythe****)
Favored by The Mockery of the Dark Six (Kama)
Favored by The Shadow of the Dark Six (Quarterstaff)
Favored by The Traveler of the Dark Six (Scimitar)

New "The Keepers of the Past" Faith
Similar to "Sovereign Host" faith enhancement lines and feats.

New Favored by The Keepers of the Past (Double Scimitar*****)

*Introduce Spear weapon or replace with Great Club for an indeterminate amount of time
**Introduce Halbard weapon or replace with Great Axe for an indeterminate amount of time
***Introduce Trident weapon or replace with Falchion for an indeterminate amount of time
****Introduce Scythe weapon or replace with Kopesh for an indeterminate amount of time
****Introduce Double Scimitar weapon or replace with Falchion for an indeterminate amount of time

Capstones
The capstone for all followers of the Sovereign Host would remain as is. Unyielding Sovereignty would remain as is and would be available the same way that currently exists to any follower of the Sovereign Host.

New Capstone Favored Soul for followers of the Dark Six "Harming Word"
At Will Spell Cause Light Wounds

New Capstone Favored Soul for followers of The Keepers of the Past "Ancestrial Pact"
Grants At Will Prayer Spell

Enhancement
The new enhancments would be added to fill out the two new faiths these are provided as samples.

New Enhancement "Mark of the Dark Six"
Usage: Active (10 minute Cooldown)
Cost: 4 action points
Progression: 16 action points
Requires One of: Follower of The Dark Six (Any), Favored by The Dark Six (Any)
Effect: Activating this ability causes the target enemy creature to be stricken by 4 randomly determened spells from the following list: Harm, enervation, blindness, deafness, disease, curse, feeblemind, poison, and stunning word. Each effect is saved for individually vs a DC of 10 + Clerics level + Wis Mod. All immunities/wards/boss protections apply normally.

New Enhancement "Summon Ancestral Inspiration"
Usage: Active (10 minute Cooldown)
Cost: 4 action points
Progression: 16 action points
Requires One of: Follower of The Keepers of the Past, Favored by The Keepers of the Past
Effect: Grants a +2 Profane bonus to all stats, skills, to hit and damage for a duration of 1 minute

dragons1ayer74
05-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Hopefully the cleaned up the presentation makes this more clear and less wall of textish.

AcesWylde
05-26-2011, 02:45 PM
This has been brought up before, and though it needs a little work, the idea definitely has merit.

Some might say that the Dark Six is inherently evil

And some mistakenly believe that all who serve the Silver Flame are inherently good.

Symar-FangofLloth
05-26-2011, 03:17 PM
Keepers of the Past?
That doesn't ring any bells, who are they?

dragons1ayer74
05-26-2011, 03:25 PM
Yet another elven faith...

Keepers of the Past

The Keepers of the Past are bards and clerics who determine which ancestor will guide a newborn Tairnadal elf through life. In Tairnadal religion, each elf is duty-bound to honor and emulate his or her patron ancestor. The Tairnadal believe that these warrior ancestors, known as Spirits of the Past, can live again in the present if their deeds are recreated. Elves who share a common ancestor will compete with each other to become the perfect embodiment of their patron. The Spirits of the Past are neutral. The favored weapon of the Keepers is the double scimitar.

Symar-FangofLloth
05-26-2011, 03:34 PM
Ahhh, the Valenar. I don't know a whole lot about them.
Sure, let's add it!

Sarisa
05-26-2011, 03:49 PM
The Traveller as a whole is neutral, not evil. He represents change, cunning, innovation, and deception; which are used for both good and evil.

The Dark Six tend to represent the dark sides of wild nature, rather than civilization like the Host represents. While they can and usually do lean toward evil, some aspects of their domains are not inherently evil. The Devourer, while typically associated with nature's wrath (storms, floods, famine), also represents the wild and capricious sea.

dragons1ayer74
05-26-2011, 04:01 PM
The Traveller as a whole is neutral, not evil. He represents change, cunning, innovation, and deception; which are used for both good and evil.

The Dark Six tend to represent the dark sides of wild nature, rather than civilization like the Host represents. While they can and usually do lean toward evil, some aspects of their domains are not inherently evil. The Devourer, while typically associated with nature's wrath (storms, floods, famine), also represents the wild and capricious sea.

I 100% agree and also some of host lets take Kol Korran for example could have many thiefs that worship the enitity along with corrupt merchants all seeking wealth. On the flip side you could have good sailors and honest fishermen that devoutly pray to The Devourer.

dragons1ayer74
05-27-2011, 09:46 AM
Ahhh, the Valenar. I don't know a whole lot about them.
Sure, let's add it!

And adding duel scimitars as official weapons to the game would likely not even be too difficult. They could just use a new model with the existing staff animation something like was already done for the raid weapon Shining Crescents (http://ddowiki.com/page/Shining_Crescents).

HalfOrcBeautyQueen
05-30-2011, 11:41 AM
100% in agreement. Longswords are already a flavor weapon, so I'd rather have a flavor weapon for a Deity I actually like.

For example, Arawai - the Fertility/Nature Goddess. I'd much rather follow her for flavor reasons and use Morning stars.

Symar-FangofLloth
05-30-2011, 11:52 AM
And adding duel scimitars as official weapons to the game would likely not even be too difficult. They could just use a new model with the existing staff animation something like was already done for the raid weapon Shining Crescents (http://ddowiki.com/page/Shining_Crescents).

I'd think there would be a balance/value issue here.
A double weapon needs each end enchanted separately, so a +5 Holy /+5 Holy is twice the cost of a single +5 Holy scimitar.
If you could find them in loot, you'd likely never find any worth using, because the value on them means you're finding lowbie-types in high level content.

And then if they added them into crafting, which I suppose they could do, but plan on spending twice the ingredients as if you were crafting two weapons.

This is probably why we have Quarterstaves as a two-handed weapon instead of a double weapon (although they can be used either way).

Unless all you're asking for is a two-handed scimitar that *looks* like a double scimitar.

dragons1ayer74
05-31-2011, 11:27 AM
I'd think there would be a balance/value issue here.
A double weapon needs each end enchanted separately, so a +5 Holy /+5 Holy is twice the cost of a single +5 Holy scimitar.
If you could find them in loot, you'd likely never find any worth using, because the value on them means you're finding lowbie-types in high level content.

And then if they added them into crafting, which I suppose they could do, but plan on spending twice the ingredients as if you were crafting two weapons.

This is probably why we have Quarterstaves as a two-handed weapon instead of a double weapon (although they can be used either way).

Unless all you're asking for is a two-handed scimitar that *looks* like a double scimitar.

The Shining Crescents are not dual weapon in game (though in PnP would be) and nor would I propose they go to that level of detail, it would be great if they did but a huge amount of work would likley need to be invested for little real return. I was suggesting the treat it like a two-handed weapon (instead of dual weapon) and use the quarterstaff base model and animation sequence.