PDA

View Full Version : Friends Chat

arvendel
05-26-2011, 07:55 AM
Their is a /p for party chat and a /g for guild chat why can't we have a /f for a friend chat. we've all taken the time to add people to our friends list but we have to contact each and everyone of them to see if their busy or can go on a quest with us. This is annoying to do when you have 10-15 friends online at one time and may be also friends with another of your party members, then they receive multiple dings for personal responses and can seriously mess up their game play. if the help request or question goes out as a general APB then they will not feel the need to respond if they are busy. After all if i get a personal message i feel obligated to reply but if a guild message comes through as a general question or help wanted i only answer if i can help.

Just my personal thoughts... What are yours?

fuzzy1guy
05-26-2011, 07:59 AM
You can do this now.

Tell you and all your friends to /joinchannel somechannelnameyoumadeup

There. /1 is friends chat. (or /2 if you already got a 1 channel ect.)

Sirea
05-26-2011, 07:59 AM
You can make your own private userchats with the command:

/joinchannel <name of channel> <optional password>

Make channel, invite all your friends to join, ???, profit.

arvendel
05-26-2011, 08:02 AM
Friends lists change and it would be easier with a simple command instead of the userchat, wouldn't it?

Sirea
05-26-2011, 08:05 AM
Friends lists change and it would be easier with a simple command instead of the userchat, wouldn't it?

What about people who you put on your friends list but they don't put you on their friends list?

arvendel
05-26-2011, 08:13 AM
being a general message it is easily ignored. much more so then a direct request from a person that you say who is that BING... my suggestion would be a color coded message that pops up on their general screen just like guild messages. this is subtle and can hit multiple people at once. this should not cause a rude intrusion to someones game play but still get your request off to people who are supposedly your friends. And you know as well as i their is only so much room on friends lists so i may not be on theirs but we are still acquaintances on a friendly level.

Sirea
05-26-2011, 08:21 AM
being a general message it is easily ignored. muck more so then a direct request from a person that you say who is that BING... my suggestion would be a color coded message that pops up on their general screen just like guild messages. this is subtle and can hit multiple people at once. this should not cause a rude intrusion to someones game play but still get your request off to people who are supposedly your friends. And you know as well as i their is only so much room on friends lists so i may not be on theirs but we are still acquaintances on a friendly level.

My whole point is, and I hope I don't come off as an antisocial jerk, is that if I party with someone once at level 4 who I have no clue who they are or didn't do anything particularly memorable in the group, and suddenly I have random messages popping up from some random person who added me to their friends list months ago in the Harbor for some unknown reason, it's going to be a bit annoying.

Mind you, I don't particularly have a problem with people sending me /tells along the vein of "hey, you're a lvl 20 wizard, do you have any advice on spell selection?" or "remember me? we did <X> quest a few days ago and I was the guy who <Y>..." but I wouldn't really want to be involuntarily added to someone's "friends chat".

arvendel
05-26-2011, 08:32 AM
I understand your point for privacy..... maybe this also brings up an additional issue, maybe friends list should be a request system that the added friend has to agree to the addition of their name.

Missing_Minds
05-26-2011, 08:35 AM

Many people use the "friends" as a way to mark the "friends" they wouldn't wish on other people. Get my drift.

Sirea
05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
I understand your point for privacy..... maybe this also brings up an additional issue, maybe friends list should be a request system that the added friend has to agree to the addition of their name.

Or, you could just set up a userchat and invite people to it, where they have the chance to decline. Turbine doesn't need to add extra coding for that, you can already do it by typing in a command line and sending a few /tells. Human interaction shouldn't have to be automated.

Also, what Missing_Minds said.

Nerate_Mireth
05-28-2011, 09:03 AM
Many people use the "friends" as a way to mark the "friends" they wouldn't wish on other people. Get my drift.

AMEN!

And besides, as the friends list works now...the OP's suggestion could be used to harass people and flood their screen with spam. It would also make the plat farmers jobs easier (though I've not seen one of THESE for an extremely long time.) if they are still around.

TrinityTurtle
05-28-2011, 09:30 AM
THe other benefit to making the user chat and inviting people to is is that they can add thier alts if they wish to do so, so you can have more connections to the player than just the one toon you met. And count me in on the camp that doesn't want to be added involuntarily to someone's chat channel becaue they friended me from that one quest and while too polite to ever say so I find them more annoying then burnt bacon. I think the user chat channels they provided are a great solution to offer those who want more contact with a wider range of people the oppurtunity while respecting the privacy of those who don't.