PDA

View Full Version : Is it mandatory to roll for unique items?

Phemt81
05-26-2011, 04:58 AM
I am playing from almost a year now and i still can't figure it out by myself.

I can't get how is this gonna be a real benefit for players cause wrong item will always end in wring class hands. I'd prefer giving my unneeded item to the most appropriate person: e.g. i have a defender plate, and new one drop for me, paladin asks, so if no other melee does i give it to him. Faster and better. Not?

Some people actually ask: "Is that for roll?" "If that is for roll i'd try..." and others get offended and say you done wrong by taking your unique item drop.

A lot of people, of course, does not care.

Personally i give all stuff i don't need/already have.

I feel also sorry for people doing/getting drama for dumb things like this. Sorry to have taken an item you needed too, next time we'll run together i' ll pass to you ok? ;)

I think this post could a lot offensive for loot :D

Jiirix
05-26-2011, 05:04 AM
There is no DDO wide or server wide Loot agenda one could stick to. Most guilds have rules for guild runs, but in a "pure" PUG your loot is your loot. Nothing else is mandatory. If a items drops and I dont need it "XY D123 high" is a good way to give it to someone else without thinking about it to much. To exclude players that roll "for my next TR" is OK. Your loot is your loot and outside of guild runs nobody should tell you what to do with it.

.. perhaps I schould roll up a toon and name it "Nobody" ;)

Anneliese
05-26-2011, 05:13 AM
DDO already does the rolling for you on nearly all items - in the sense that they are assigned to you.

Only very few exceptions exist, like the eardweller - which drops for all to take, but only once.

In general, treat other people when it comes to rolling like you want to be treated by them. DDO is mostly a close-knit community, so what goes around, comes around.

Esserbe
05-26-2011, 05:14 AM
If a raid item drops in your name, it's yours to do with as you wish. If you don't want it, ask if anyone else wants it; if more than one does, then it's good form to put it up for roll, as in the end it was a team effort after all.

karl_k0ch
05-26-2011, 05:25 AM
If you do not need your item, the fairest thing to do is to put the item up for roll.

If you feel like some classes can make better use of a certain item, it is up to you to exclude certain classes, i.e. "Madstone boots up for roll, people with blue bars excluded." Note that such restrictions have to be placed carefully (I would not put up my boots like this, but I do respect everyone who does).

Here's something to think about loot rules: http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=293804

Note that the "Alternative" was referring to a loot rule which went more or less "The item should be passed to the character who can make the biggest use of that item."

Edit: Funny how the OP, myself and another poster in this thread are all Orienites.

Forgeborn
05-26-2011, 05:26 AM
Named in Raids tend to be put for roll, because it tends to be the fairest way to get them distributed amongst the players. However, while most people will put items for roll, you must remember that, unless your raid leader specified otherwise before the raid formed and started, that your loot is your loot, nobody can take that away from you.

Usually when people get a piece of raid loot [for example, I would get madstone boots on my wizard, and don't want them], they have a few choices.
1) put the item for roll, this gives other people who are interested in the item a chance for it, by pitting their rolls against others, allowing those interested a fair chance at the item.
2) Give the item to someone else without a roll, this is usually done amongst friends/guildies, but denies other people in the raid a chance at the item, while they did aid towards the completion of the actual raid. Usually it's not bad, because as said, your loot is your loot, but a lot of people tend to dislike it
3) loot the item and vendor it, this is something you don't want to do, because it will get you blacklisted quite quickly by other people, it's also a waste if done to some of the more coveted raid items (like madstone boots)
4) Leave the item in the raid chest, possibly the worst option you can pick from the small list, because people will actually know that you left a piece of 'valuable' raid loot to rot.
5) 'sell' the item for platinum or other items (note, this must be done in the chest, since most are bound to character). This is another really poor choice to make, since a lot of people will get easily offended by it, and it usually ends up in 'the person with the biggest wallet wins', meaning newer players don't really have a chance at it.

Personally, my own choice goes towards putting it for roll, but under specific rules (since it's still my loot), and that tends to make most people more or less happy.

so, in short, in most pug raids:
1) do you need the item? Yes, then loot. No, go to next step
2) make your choice, leave, loot, sell, pass, or roll. And be prepared to face the consequences of whatever you decide.
3) apply the chosen action, if choosing for any but roll, try and give a short explanation about why you did that. (for example: "sorry folks, I don't need this item but [insert friends name] has been looking for it for ages, so I'm gonna pass it to him")
4) if allowing to roll: make sure you state any rules you want to apply to the rolling beforehand, and 'obey' the roll, don't try and twist and turn the end result.

In short, the answer is no: you don't need to put the unique item for roll if you don't want to, But it is the nice thing to do if you don't want it.

If you feel like some classes can make better use of a certain item, it is up to you to exclude certain classes, i.e. "Madstone boots up for roll, people with blue bars excluded." Note that such restrictions have to be placed carefully (I would not put up my boots like this, but I do respect everyone who does).

'Madstone boots for roll, 1D100, low roll wins, People with blue bars excluded'
~me on my caster on orien after pulling madstone's

artandor
05-26-2011, 08:18 AM
it can be annoying when people roll just cuz they want an item (like for instance glacier bracers), my bcleric needed em, yet fighter/rogue rolls higher and gets it.. he didnt even bother explaining why he needed it

anyway ur loot is ur loot as said, u do what u like and all those drama queens should go to hell (including me if u look at me as a drama queen) :D

dkyle
05-26-2011, 08:28 AM
it can be annoying when people roll just cuz they want an item (like for instance glacier bracers), my bcleric needed em, yet fighter/rogue rolls higher and gets it.. he didnt even bother explaining why he needed it

Probably because the Ice Shield guard is pretty awesome.

It's one of those items where it benefits some (casters) more, but still benefits others (melee) enough that it's reasonable for them to want to roll on it.

If it dropped for me, and I already had one, I'd probably put it up for roll among the casters first. If I didn't have one, I'd loot it, whether on a caster or melee.

lhidda
05-26-2011, 08:40 AM
Let people decide on their own, whether they need an item or not. They might have reasons to need the item you are not aware of.

If your sense of justice tells you only certain classes should roll for the item, tell this before giving it up for roll. Messages like "divines roll d99 for xxx" or "rogues roll d100 for xxx" are ok.

katz
05-26-2011, 08:46 AM
the accepted rule, more or less, is "YOUR LOOT IS YOUR LOOT" if it falls to you, it's yours to do with as you wish. that does NOT mean that there won't be drama anyway in some cases (some people got upset when i looted madstone boots on my sorc instead of putting them for roll. my sorc.. who's holding a greensteel greatsword. yeah. anyway)

if it falls to you, YOU can decide to loot it, pass it, put it for roll, or heck, even vendor it. it's yours... altho it's also looked down on if you sell/trade said item. if you are passed an item, or win the roll, it's BAD form, and there WILL be drama and possible blacklistings if you then go and pass it to someone else or sell/trade it in the box.

there *might* be drama if you roll on an item that people can't figure out why you want it, especially if you are rolling against someone who could REALLY use it instead. example: don't roll on a torq with your barb "for your next TR" when there are 4 other casters in the raid who don't have one yet...but no one cared when i rolled on ventilated bracers for my next TR when i made sure first that there were no rog/rog-splash in the raid who wanted it first.

hope that helps

somenewnoob
05-26-2011, 08:48 AM
I take what's mine in a chest. If I don't want to take it I ask if anybody wants it, if more than 1 person says yes they can roll for it. Chances are if I can't use a item on the toon I'm on, another of mine might use it or a guildie might need it.

The idea of mandatory rolling is silly......get yer paws of mah stuff!

dkyle
05-26-2011, 08:56 AM
The idea of mandatory rolling is silly......get yer paws of mah stuff!

Yeah, definitely. Unless it's clearly stated before the run begins, don't listen to anyone who says you "must" put it up for roll.

Same goes for Epic scrolls.

Personally, I'd leave a group if the leader expressed such silly rules before the run began, so hopefully they'd be in the LFM so I wouldn't join in the first place. Fortunately, I've never run into anyone who insisted on mandatory rolls (since the scroll mechanism was changed).

FlyingTurtle
05-26-2011, 09:14 AM
Cmon now, what?

Your loot is your loot. For s&gs, sit there staring at the raid chest until someone zones out, then assign it to them, then /emote laugh at the other people staring at the item sitting forever unreachable in the chest.

Thrudh
05-26-2011, 09:17 AM
Chances are if I can't use a item on the toon I'm on, another of mine might use it or a guildie might need it.

Just to be clear, we're talking about bound to character raid loot (so you can't pass it to one of your other characters or a guildy who's not in the raid with you)

There's no rolling done on non-bound loot.

Thrudh
05-26-2011, 09:20 AM
To the OP...

The general consensus is that if raid loot falls under your name in the chest, you can take it, give it to someone else in the raid (transfer it to their name inside the raid chest), or put it up for a roll...

Auctioning it off is frowned upon by most people, although it is done occasionally.

somenewnoob
05-26-2011, 09:37 AM
Just to be clear, we're talking about bound to character raid loot (so you can't pass it to one of your other characters or a guildy who's not in the raid with you)

There's no rolling done on non-bound loot.

In that case if it was something I couldn't use, I'd willingly put it up for a roll IF I decided I didn't want to just sell it for plat at a broker. But still it's a case of it being my choice what I want to do, not somebody else's.

If I find a nice BTC item and can't use it and some guy asks me for it before I grab it (which half the time I'm just clicking loot all without even seeing what's in the chest) I would definitely give it up, but that's because I'm not a jerk, not because I'm required to give it up.

I doubt I would join a pug that listed mandatory rolling.

Thrudh
05-26-2011, 10:28 AM
In that case if it was something I couldn't use, I'd willingly put it up for a roll IF I decided I didn't want to just sell it for plat at a broker. But still it's a case of it being my choice what I want to do, not somebody else's.

If I find a nice BTC item and can't use it and some guy asks me for it before I grab it (which half the time I'm just clicking loot all without even seeing what's in the chest) I would definitely give it up, but that's because I'm not a jerk, not because I'm required to give it up.

I doubt I would join a pug that listed mandatory rolling.

We're talking about raid loot only... Try not to use "loot all", at the end of one of the few 12-man raids in this game.

somenewnoob
05-26-2011, 10:51 AM
We're talking about raid loot only... Try not to use "loot all", at the end of one of the few 12-man raids in this game.

Being raid loot doesn't change my response one bit. If somebody else wants it and I don't, they can have it. If I want it, it's mine.

I got things to do, sometimes I've got to hit loot all and get on with life sometimes! lol
Usually I don't if I know there are bound items in the chest though.

countfitz
05-26-2011, 11:05 AM

anyway ur loot is ur loot as said, u do what u like and all those drama queens should go to hell (including me if u look at me as a drama queen) :D

OMG! It's always this example, which is just the WORST example. There are so many good examples of loot that certain classes can use that is just useless for others, but for some reason it's always these bracers, which are the best bracers for almost any melee class to loot. Wear all the time? No, but that is the best melee clickie that you can't get off the AH. Bam, fire shield, bam, whatever other bracers you want.

I don't run VoD anymore because the only loot I want from it is these, and I want them on my melee. I've been in parties where the melee LOOTED them and people griefed and threatened blacklists of him, his guild etc. if they didn't give them up for roll for someone who could "use" them.

Rant off.

Rant back on... Fireshield on a caster is like the dumbest thing EVER, you get aggro, then with this up YOU KEEP AGGRO! AND DIE.

Of course they want these for everything BUT fireshield, since they can cast it themselves if they wanted it.

Rant off

SirValentine
05-26-2011, 11:20 AM
the best bracers for almost any melee class to loot. Wear all the time? No, but that is the best melee clickie that you can't get off the AH. Bam, fire shield, bam, whatever other bracers you want.

They are not a clicky, sorry. You have to keep wearing them until they happen to proc when you get hit, and the duration isn't that long, so you might have to keep swapping them back on repeatedly.

Fireshield on a caster is like the dumbest thing EVER, you get aggro, then with this up YOU KEEP AGGRO! AND DIE.

Of course they want these for everything BUT fireshield, since they can cast it themselves if they wanted it.

Wait, wait wait! Did you ever consider that a well-built caster might well WANT aggro? And can handle keeping it much better than a lot of melees, due to easier self-healing? Not everyone builds squishy 200-HP arcanes or 300-HP divines, and divines or, say, WF arcanes can fix themselves up quite nicely. Meanwhile all the melees are getting in their sneak attack damage.

Oh, and not all casters have a high enough UMD to scroll-cast fireshield. Of the 5 primary caster classes, only 2 of them have fireshield on their spell list, you know.

cdemeritt
05-26-2011, 11:36 AM
To answer your question, No, A roll is not MANDATORY. When it comes to loot, you will never make everyone happy. People will always get upset that X didn't happen, or Y should have or you didn't give all your loot to them, as they carried you.... I've passed loot to friends and guildies without rolls, I've put loot for a roll, excluded some classes/players (sometimes someone just annoys you to the point where you'd rather let an item rot before letting them get it. I've see sorcs go nuts because someone else pulls a +3 Cha tome, and loots it for themselves. (because they carried the raid, the deserve the tome for their work at saving the raid... wait you were dead 2nd and in the penalty box, whachya mean "you saved the raid?")

Simplest Loot Rules I can come up with, which works for me, and saves me headaches...

"If it is in my name, I will do with it what I want, If it isn't in my name, It's not mine, and I don't get a say"

Do I get annoyed when the Cleric pulls the madstone boots, maybe a little, but at the end of the day, I don't know the clerics buildplan, and they weren't mine to worry about.

tihocan
05-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Personally I always put it up for roll immediately if I don't want it myself, because it's easier than asking "who wants it?", then waiting for some time, and having to set up a roll in the end because more than one person wants it.

You can't tell from someone's class icon whether he's going to be using the item, so I don't see the point of preventing someone from rolling. I do, sometimes, ask whether the winner really wants it (when I have some doubt), because for some reason some people think it's a good idea to roll on items they don't want, just because "rolling is fun".

Sarisa
05-26-2011, 12:01 PM
With the specific case of Madstone Boots, I will usually comment that it has a hidden effect that makes it a bad idea for almost all casters to wear it. Many inexperienced or new players simply don't know. From the printed stats on the item, it LOOKS like a caster item, with a caster bonus in an unusual location. While it is a "waste" of the item if the puller loots it when it's clear he will not use the item, or try it out only to see that we weren't lying to him; he DID pull it and it's his loot.

The Bracers of the Demon Consort is another such raid item.

All of the other hidden effect items that I can think of are unbound, and thus trade-able.

artandor
05-26-2011, 12:50 PM
OMG! It's always this example, which is just the WORST example. There are so many good examples of loot that certain classes can use that is just useless for others, but for some reason it's always these bracers, which are the best bracers for almost any melee class to loot. Wear all the time? No, but that is the best melee clickie that you can't get off the AH. Bam, fire shield, bam, whatever other bracers you want.

I don't run VoD anymore because the only loot I want from it is these, and I want them on my melee. I've been in parties where the melee LOOTED them and people griefed and threatened blacklists of him, his guild etc. if they didn't give them up for roll for someone who could "use" them.

Rant off.

Rant back on... Fireshield on a caster is like the dumbest thing EVER, you get aggro, then with this up YOU KEEP AGGRO! AND DIE.

Rant off

actually my bcleric cant cast fireshield so they are extra usefull sincei go melee often. i dont threaten them though.. and those bracers are NOT a clickie! they proc fire shield yes, but its not a clickie! it might go ages before they proc it, and what use does melee have of 200 sp, spell penetration? if he really wanted that shield he should get UMD for scrolls.

i didnt said it was worth my threats or anything, its just that i freaking needed those bracers for.. 2 months now? besides there are far better bracers for melee out there then these. make GS bracers for the sake of god! or epic scorched bracers + epic charged gauntlets + epic envenomed cloak, hell yea, those should give any melee str, 10d6 lightning vorpals etc. but anybody thinks bout it? nooooo... helm? it will prolly be red dragon one, belt? prolly from tod set or GS, blablablabla
and u kno how much cold damage tht fire shield deals? its in 15's if i recall correctly. now let me ask u, does 15s cold damage each time u hit and then reduced by cold res on mobs help? almost any high level mob has cold res, just look on all the devils n stuff.

also madstone boots can be genius on battle clerics, put on aura and go madstoned, (well if party has more healers then u alone, otherwise.. yea useless).

@OP sorry going abit offtopic here.

cwfergtx
05-26-2011, 12:58 PM
I prefer to offer it 1st to the appropriate class 1st specially if it is a cleric item. If noone of the appropriate class wants it then I will let others roll for it with the understanding only to roll if they can use so if they are not planning on using then I will take it to sell.

katz
05-26-2011, 01:01 PM
With the specific case of Madstone Boots, I will usually comment that it has a hidden effect that makes it a bad idea for almost all casters to wear it. Many inexperienced or new players simply don't know. From the printed stats on the item, it LOOKS like a caster item, with a caster bonus in an unusual location. While it is a "waste" of the item if the puller loots it when it's clear he will not use the item, or try it out only to see that we weren't lying to him; he DID pull it and it's his loot.

The Bracers of the Demon Consort is another such raid item.

All of the other hidden effect items that I can think of are unbound, and thus trade-able.

true. but in this case, i had my wings. i had my greensteel greatsword in my hand from my previous life, i did not get the boots last life. and my next life, already planned out, will be melee-focus. i know the effects and the hidden effects. i didn't want to want a whole 'nother life for a set. so when i got em, i took em.

kernal42
05-26-2011, 01:02 PM
Different servers have different etiquette; this should really be posted in the server-specific forum (for you, Orien, I believe).

Personally, I don't like people deciding for me what loot I can and cannot use. For example, I don't run anymore with people who tell me that monks get priority for Kyosho's Ring and barbarians get priority for the Ring of the Ravager. Similarly, who are you to say that the paladin is the only one who can use the full plate of the defender, or even that s/he can get the most use out of it? I'm pretty sure that, unless you have intimate knowledge of the builds/equip of the characters in question, you really can't do better than an uninformed guess.

That said, there's nothing wrong with excluding people from rolling on your loot, but I think it's important to be up front about what's happening and let people defend their needs. If a wizard wants to roll on your Full Plate, let them explain why and then decide; maybe it is actually a reasonable way to gear that particular build.

On the other hand, if you just pass the Full Plate over to whomever you think could use it best, then:
1) You're likely to be wrong.
2) It looks sketchy to everybody else.

Cheers,
Kernal

Sarisa
05-26-2011, 01:13 PM
true. but in this case, i had my wings. i had my greensteel greatsword in my hand from my previous life, i did not get the boots last life. and my next life, already planned out, will be melee-focus. i know the effects and the hidden effects. i didn't want to want a whole 'nother life for a set. so when i got em, i took em.

That's fine. You know what they do and WILL use them.

The comment is mainly for the new players who don't know the side effects, and will take them based on their displayed stats.

KillEveryone
05-26-2011, 01:22 PM
Your loot is your loot to do with as you please.

It generated your name next to the loot in the chest so it is yours and no one can make you do anything with your loot.

If you want to keep the loot, others can't fault you because it is your loot.
If you want to pass the loot to another person without a roll, others can't fault you because it is your loot.
If you want to offer the loot up for a roll to specific classes, others can't fault you because it is your loot.
If you want to offer your loot up for a roll to anyone that wants to roll, others can't fault you because it is your loot.
If you want to leave the loot in the chest to rot, others can't fault you because it is your loot. This is frowned upon a bit because everyone feels they worked toward loot and would like to put something to use rather than have it rot in the chest. It is however, your loot to do with at you please so they really can't fault you because it is your loot.
If you want to sell the loot from the chest to the highest bidder, others can't fault you because it i your loot. This is really frowned upon and many people will just decline any of your salesmanship and just not group with you. Their view is that they offer stuff up for a roll and they would rather run with someone that does the same. I agree and I wouldn't run with someone that was trying to sell an named item from the chest. If I do happen to be in a group with that player again, I'll exclude them from any roll for loot that I offer. It is your loot though to do with as you please.

It is more common for people to roll on loot that the person who's name it dropped under if that person doesn't have any use for that loot. Some people have no qualms asking if it is going to be offered up for roll. I've asked outright if something was going to be put up for roll. If they say yes, great, I get another chance at a piece of loot that I'm looking for and hopefully I'll get the magic number needed to roll. If they say no, there is always next time.

I've passed loot without a roll to the first person that said they would like it just because I felt like it.
I'll offer up loot with a roll if more than one person has an interest in it.
Just depends upon the mood I'm in.

There are other people that like to think they can tell you what you should do with your loot. They say some cr@pola about how if you take that loot and deny another class that loot...Bracers of the Glacier for example taken by as wiz but not offered up to another melee class like a barbarian...they say that they will black list you and your guild. It is your loot to do with at you please. It can be made a case that it is better to offer those bracers to a non-UMD class because that is the only way to get a cold version of fireshield on that class type. Really though, it is your loot to do with as you please and if you want to take them, they will benefit you as a wiz and if it landed with your name on them, it is your loot to do with as you please.

nolaureltree000
05-26-2011, 01:28 PM
you dont *have* to put your item up for roll. you can just ask certain people if they want it. i ran ToD the other day and a cleric ring dropped (had +2 turning...dont remember the name). seeing as there were no pallys in the party, i asked both clerics if they wanted the ring. the one cleric said he already had it, so i passed it to the other without a roll. ive done the same with those healing gloves out of reavers fate. ill give all the clerics, fvs, and pure bards first choice at it before offering to the group.

that being said, if someone puts something up for roll and it will make my character better, i will roll for it regardless if someone else can get more utility out of it. if i was in VoN and a SoS went up for roll, id roll for it on my WIZ. it would be a situational use for me (twink item, pure damage weapon), but it would nonetheless make my toon better.

Thaxlsillyia
05-26-2011, 01:45 PM
YLYC-your loot your call is the norm 99.9% of the times.

Pulled a second madstone and have a barbarian friend in the group who is looking for it? YLTC- pass it to him. Nobody can question you on it. if you do put it up for roll you can specify criteria for the roll as somebody suggested.

But it can get very frustrating sometimes. The silly barbarian will roll on the bard cloak or glacier set gloves or the torc, the 13/7 fighter/wiz will win a green blade when there are 3 pure arcanes looking for it, the monk will roll on a chaos blade, the warforged will roll for armors etc etc.

The only thing that usually get transfered to proper class are the healing spec stuff :D so roll a cleric for less loot drama.

kernal42
05-26-2011, 01:48 PM
YLYC-your loot your call is the norm 99.9% of the times.

Try to remember that loot etiquette is server-specific.
On Orien (the OP's server), things tend to work differently: Outside of guild runs, passing/buying of loot is frowned upon.

-Kernal

Eleia
05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Your loot is yours to do as you see fit. The best way to view chest loot in this game is as soon as it's open...it rolls for everyone. Then we all get what we get.

If you want to keep it..keep it. If you want to give it to someone who needs it...then do it (I do the same as well)

The only way that changes is with raid loot and that's not always the case.

One would assume with so many new players, they are viewing loot as it works in other games, where we roll on every single item.

My items are mine...if I don't need it for myself, a alt, crafting, or plat...or if you're new or something, I might pass it along.

But no, we never really set up...or even all agreed with a standard community wide looting policy.

Shade
05-27-2011, 08:54 AM
Yea absolutly not.

Im with you on the idea that the loot should go to the person who can use it most/desires it most.

As such I rarely put highly desired items up for roll. I instead put them up for auction and sell them to the highest bidder.

Not out of greed, but because that is a great way to gauge desire.. Someone who really wants an item badly, will pay for it.

And personally i've bought tons of raid loot, probably over 75% of the things I own.

I actually feel bad if I win a roll and get a free item I really really wanted, and tend to pay the person who got it anyways. I think anyone lucky enough to pull a well desired item, should get something out of it.

I've heard some servers frown upon this, but I really don't care as that makes no sense to me. And yea it's something we always did on Khyber. For a while I was actaully in a guild that had it as the standard loot policy.... Back when there was always 2 item, they were simply auctioned off to the highest bidder... With whatever was paid being generally evenly divided among the guild.

Tho even within khyber, i had one group get realy ****ed at me selling a +3 tomes once (which I actaully sold for a measly 50kpp).. Tho that was 1 run out of hundreds of raids ive sold items in. Definetely the exception, not the rule on khyber.

Sure it's a system that rewards veteran players more, but thats how all mmos are.. The more you play, the more you get.

Tokeri
05-27-2011, 09:14 AM
i always put "binds on aquire" things up for a roll if i cant use it for example if i get a platemail of the defender rolled on my ranger il put it up for a roll np. but anyone *****in like a pregnant dog at me for my loot il simply /dance and loot it

true story... i got a platemail of giants on my teenage barbie and i gave it to a bard/fighter warchanter after 10 minute's of epic *****in. il never do that again

morale of the story : if they dont know how to lick up and kick down, dont let em draw any breath more then /roll 1d100

EatSmart
05-27-2011, 09:16 AM
Your loot your choice, but remember that people can chose who they party with too.

The general guideline on Orien is the honour system. Try not to take more than you give. If you want to take an item that has only a very minor use to you, it's considered polite to offer it to the people who would get the full use of the item first (who knows, they might not want it anyway?). "Hey, i like the stats on this Rahkir's. Arcanemojomanofdoom, Divinemojomanofdoom, do you mind if i keep it?"

If you have an against-type build that needs unusual items, its considered politer to keep the items when they drop in your name, but to not roll against people who the item was intended for.

Again, these are all just guidelines.

There are so many strong opinions on the subject you'll never avoid offending someone 100% of the time.

licho
05-27-2011, 09:22 AM
Your loot is your loot.
1. You can loot it and sell it in vendor, save for TR or whatever. Selling is actually quite a waste thou.
2. You can give it to anyone you want, from whatever reason like he will use it best, he is your guildie/firend, he once be nice for you.
3. You can put it on the roll on any rules, like only (no) casters or whatever.

If somebody tells you than you cant do with your loot what you like, then beware that person since he lose the touch with reality, and forget about "its only game and bunch of pixels".

The only brake of unwiten rules comes, when you roll for a loot, and then pass it to someone else. (proxy rolling) since its cheating the person who put the item on the roll.

ProdigalGuru
05-27-2011, 09:29 AM
There is a large difference between "Unique" items and "Raid" loot.

Most Unique items are not bound at all, and can be sold, therefor are useful to whomever pulls it.

If someone else really wants it, they are free to buy it off the AH after it gets posted.

Raid loot is Bound to Character, and that is why it gets put up for roll.

When you initiate the roll, you initiate the rules, as you see fit.

This is where the drama comes in, because people do not like to be excluded.