PDA

View Full Version : First time TR advice

Beerwagon454
05-24-2011, 07:23 AM
getting ready to TR my first toon. what are the advantages to changing to a new class or staying with current class for second life

gDra
05-24-2011, 07:36 AM
A melee past life will usually help a melee class, a caster past life will usually help a caster class.
Of course there are more general benefits from some classes. So it depends on what you have/choose.

A new class might need other gear. On the same or similar class you can use your old gear.

pal_sch
05-24-2011, 07:44 AM
It depends on your current life's class.

When you TR you will gain access to the past life feats (http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats) for your current class. There are two parts;
- A passive ability you automatically gain and is always on. These can stack with themselves up to three times.
- A feat you have to fit into your new build. This tends to have both active and passive components.

Picking a class that gains from the passive feat is the most likely class advantage. Very roughly caster feats help casters (+DC, +spell-pen) while melee feats are more general (+HP, +to-hit, +damage) but still mostly advantage front-line fighters.

Whether or not you can benefit from the active feat depends on your new build as well as class. These tend to be even more focused on benefiting the style of your previous life, but certain classes are tight enough on feats it may be tough to fit them in anyway. For example, a Barbarian would only even really want the Barbarian past life, and then only because it's currently bugged to be better than intended.

Beyond that you will be able to keep all your current gear (everything goes into a special bank you can only take items out of) so playing a class that can use it saves grinding all new kit.

stoerm
05-24-2011, 07:46 AM
You haven't given any specifics. A wizard or sorcerer past life (passive) would help any offensive caster regardless of class. A bard past life (passive) is only useful for a bard. Perhaps you could read the appropriate page and make up your own mind:

http://ddowiki.com/page/Past_Life_Feats

Lehmu
05-24-2011, 08:01 AM
Since past life feats have been covered already by previous posters, I'd like to add another viewpoint.

You've already leveled your current class to 20 (or build, in case of a multiclass character). You should at the very least know how to play that. You also should have some nice gear for your character that's helpful to the way your character is right now. So doing it all over again would certainly be easy, as there's little to learn about your character, and you could fix any flaws you might've found while playing it.

On the other hand, you might get bored of doing the same thing all over again. In this sense, picking up another class would keep things fresh for you.

Fejj
05-24-2011, 08:02 AM
getting ready to TR my first toon. what are the advantages to changing to a new class or staying with current class for second life

My advice ---- DON'T

I'm sorry but if you are coming here asking that question then its possible TRing is not for you at this time.

I recommend doing some research about your character, your class, other classes, and most importantly, about TRing in general and past lives.

DDO wiki is your friend.

Not knowing what you gain from TRing and going about it blindly is just setting your self up for failure.

The XP is brutal for someone not accustomed to it, and I have seem too many people abandon characters because they TR'd without considering the repercussions.

Good luck

TO stay the same class - You have all the gear, you should have knowledge of the class to build is better, faster, and stronger. And the gear banked to back it up

To start a new class - You are leveling and learning a class all new, but without the gear, and with XP penalties.

Tumarek
05-24-2011, 08:06 AM
step 1:
Plan out exactly what you want to be on level 20 in your new life.

step 2:
Gather gear according to the new class. I tend to try to have a full set of equipment (greensteel and such) for around level 12. The epic stuff can be farmed out later but it really make life much better if you have good gear from 12- 18.

Gather tomes from 20 completions, stock up on yugo pots... get you hous p trinket your cookies from silver flame...

step 3:
Do the math! With all the gear you have and tomes how many HP will you have. Are you getting all skillpoints you need at level 20. All feats there where they should be?

-> Yes? TR

-> No? Go to step one and repeat!

Dont TR before you are sure your new build will actually work. at around level 16 levling gets painful and at that point a gimp build will show its true face.

P.S. The past life feats are nice but i wouldnt build around them, gear is more important. If they fit in its nice, if not maybe the next TR can make use of them.

Beerwagon454
05-24-2011, 02:18 PM
thanks for the advice guys, I still have a little before i'm going to do it so this is just part of my research. I was looking at what kinda gear i needed to stock up on

Sarisa
05-24-2011, 02:50 PM
I agree with the above sentiments. If you are unsure, just wait.

Plan out what you want to do on your next life.

Run some favour, get some of the good rewards and stock up on those for your next life. Silver Flame potions, the Blessing of the Silver Flame ("cookie"), House D arrows or bolts, Phiarlan Pendant of Time, Yugoloth Potions (if they will benefit you). If you're a Paladin now and going to be a Paladin again, make a bunch of Holy Swords right before you TR. Get your free 1750 favour tome.

Pick up any other tomes you need, either via drops or raid rewards.

I strongly recommend making at least a Greensteel HP accessory. If you're going to be TR'ing into a melee class, make a LitII or MinII as well. Greensteel is an incredible power boost at level 11 and 12. If you wish to make a second Greensteel accessory (ie an SP item if going caster in your next life), get your 20 completions for Shroud and cleanse the item on your 21st run (or use a guild ship if one is available).

I also recommend running the raids that you desire items from to 20th completions. For a melee, some examples would be things like VoN (Sword of Shadows, Kundarak Delving Boots), VoD (Tharnes Goggles, Bracers of the Glacier maybe), HoX (Levik's Bracers, maybe Levik's Defender), Reaver's Fate (Madstone Boots), DQ (Chaosblade, Marilith Chain, Pouch of Jerky), ToD (your desired ring, or any ring with a worthwhile stat to hold you over). Note you can also get +3 tomes from most of the above raids.

If TR'ing into a caster, your priorities would of course change, but it's still a good idea to get 20th completions done before a TR.

Stock up on "twink" gear as well. A full Abishai set, Necklace of Contemplation, Carnifex, Trapblast Goggles, Visor of the Flesh Render Guards, a robe or outfit of Invulnerability, some decent fortification items, and whatever else you can think of. Have your Voice of the Master ready, and if possible get a Mantle of the Worldshaper as well.