PDA

View Full Version : Moment of Corporeality

Xenostrata
05-20-2011, 06:03 AM
For all those times someone has died on the wrong side of the shrine door.

My suggestion would be to add an item to the DDO store (and maybe small eberron shard tradeins and chest drops) an item that allows the character to make a single interaction while dead. This could mean using a single lever, valve, or rune, or taking a single swing at a monster, or casting a single spell, or using a single clicky.

Suggested price would be 50 TP, cheap enough that a siberys spirit cake doesn't make more sense ALL the time, but expensive enough that people won't buy tons of them to fight an entire battle without fear of enemy response.

When it comes to casting spells, I would suggest that anything with a longer than normal casting time be not allowed to avoid people simply using it to raise themselves (the same would be true for clickies).

The set up would be that the item is used, then the person gets 1 minute to choose what to do and do it before the effect fades.

Any ideas on how to improve this idea, or why it is great/terrible?

pie2655
05-20-2011, 06:10 AM
/signed
I was thinking, "well couldnt Clerics and FVS just raise themselves?" but then i read,
"When it comes to casting spells, I would suggest that anything with a longer than normal casting time be not allowed to avoid people simply using it to raise themselves (the same would be true for clickies). "
Which made the idea perfect.

Silverwren
05-20-2011, 07:33 AM
/not signed

This is a game and in this game sometimes you fail and die. The last thing we need is another easy button.

Suck it up, hit the release button, and lick your wounds at the bar while enjoying a turkey leg.

Dunklerlindwurm
05-20-2011, 07:59 AM
Could we get a store item that kills all enemys inside a quest instantly? That would be awesome :P

Xenostrata
05-20-2011, 01:31 PM
/not signed

This is a game and in this game sometimes you fail and die. The last thing we need is another easy button.

Suck it up, hit the release button, and lick your wounds at the bar while enjoying a turkey leg.

I take it, then, that you are generally against the use of siberys cakes? Or the current DoT spells that keep working after the caster has died? Or store ethereal shrines, or GS rez clickies, or UMD rez scrolls, or anything other than a healer throwing a raise dead spell?

This would only be good for two things, neither of them game breaking:
Party Wipe at an end boss with so little health left that a hit or two would finish him off, allowing quest completion (but NOT access to chests/loot)
Party Wipe near a shrine with a closed door, allowing them to use the shrine despite the obstacle.

It would not be useable in raids, and the majority of the time it would be used by low level groups that might not want to splurge on a rez cake to complete. It's a cheaper variant of the rez cake, with a much more niche use: there is nothing this could do that a rez cake couldn't, since once up monster reaction time generally lets you open a door or get off a couple swings/spells before you get killed again.

Ardenburl
05-20-2011, 01:58 PM
[QUOTE=Xenostrata;3809413]I take it, then, that you are generally against the use of siberys cakes? Or the current DoT spells that keep working after the caster has died? Or store ethereal shrines, or GS rez clickies, or UMD rez scrolls, or anything other than a healer throwing a raise dead spell?QUOTE]

I would like to see mana pots, cakes, shrines from the store taken out, bring back the days of managing your blue bar meaning something. Don't have anything against scrolls being umd'd, or in game items that heal/raise, just hate the fact that a group can wipe and all it takes to recover is "wait let me hit the DDO store.

Not that that will ever happen cause its to much of a money maker for the game, and if its take them out or get new content, bring on the content.

Arden

Silverwren
05-20-2011, 02:13 PM
I take it, then, that you are generally against the use of siberys cakes? Or the current DoT spells that keep working after the caster has died? Or store ethereal shrines, or GS rez clickies, or UMD rez scrolls, or anything other than a healer throwing a raise dead spell?

You assume incorrectly. I said ANOTHER easy button. You just listed six and you want to add more? At a certain point the developers might just as well make everyone invincible. I don't know about you but I don't want to play a game where the chance of failure is minimized a little more every time another update comes out. There's just no fun in it for me. It ceases to be a challenge. It is FAR more fun when there's a possibility that the entire party will get wiped out.

'Nuff said.

macubrae
05-20-2011, 02:20 PM
I'd go as far as making shrine doors passable to players that die near them, but one more action... no. If you make your unconcious save, regen to 1hp, and make a deathblow, epic win. But an action once your -10... no.

donfilibuster
05-20-2011, 03:13 PM
If you can interact with the material plane you will be in some risk of having your spirit killed.

Not a bad idea by itself, the whole ghostwalk thing is not new to d&d.

Seikojin
05-20-2011, 03:53 PM
I think the wraithform for Palemasters should be something that activates when the character dies. Then they can run arouns as a wraith and when they kill enemies, more wraith pets appear.

game5551
05-20-2011, 04:25 PM
I would like to see mana pots, cakes, shrines from the store taken out, bring back the days of managing your blue bar meaning something. Don't have anything against scrolls being umd'd, or in game items that heal/raise, just hate the fact that a group can wipe and all it takes to recover is "wait let me hit the DDO store.

Not that that will ever happen cause its to much of a money maker for the game, and if its take them out or get new content, bring on the content.

Arden

Well, since the free to play shift has brought many new players, and ftp counts on micro transactions from the store, what your basically saying is take out the easy buttons, have Turbine's money dry up, the game loose profitability, and close down.

A cake costs 150 tp. At the smallest tp package rate that is $2 per cake. The people who buy cakes are enjoying the game in their own way and supporting Turbine so you can enjoy the game in your own way. If they buy an easy button from the store (once again, giving turbine their money) how does that affect you?

You assume incorrectly. I said ANOTHER easy button. You just listed six and you want to add more? At a certain point the developers might just as well make everyone invincible. I don't know about you but I don't want to play a game where the chance of failure is minimized a little more every time another update comes out. There's just no fun in it for me. It ceases to be a challenge. It is FAR more fun when there's a possibility that the entire party will get wiped out.

'Nuff said.

You include no raise dead, so might I suggest join a pd guild? That sounds right up your ally. And once again, same question, what does it matter if someone in a quest you are not in uses a cake to res himself? If you are bugged by people doing it in your own quest then I think you need to run with a large guild with those no easy button rules set.

Dawnsfire
05-20-2011, 04:47 PM
/not signed

Great idea! All the easy buttons should go. Why do divines have raise spells? Everyone should just have to release and suck it up :rolleyes:

bigolbear
05-20-2011, 05:02 PM
I dont like it, i see where your coming from but id prefer if this game went the other direction.

res cakes are bad enough, as are etheral shrines and store bought mana pots. DDO is walking a fine line between great game and 'buy your self to victory'.

personaly id say that ghosts shouldnt be able to do any thing including talking to the party, and people shouldn't be able to see them or talk to them unless certain new magics were used.

Id be in favour of soul stones being changed to bodies - which must be carried to a shrine, causing massive encumberance, slow walking and inability to attack.

heck id be fine with both what i want AND what you want but we need some kind of realism filter on quest selection, like a dificulty selection.

People zerg and solo and play kill count games because things have got too easy, im fine with easy for new guys but id like the option for a harder more realisitic mode too and that doesnt mean enemies with a metric ton of HP.

Kominalito
05-20-2011, 05:06 PM
what is happening?

i think a lot of people in this game are looking for a dungeons and dragons MOVIE they can watch where there are hijinx, some laughs, a few tears, but in the end, the good guys end up with the raid wep, the girl, and the self satisfaction of winning without the laborious task of actually learning how to play.

TL;DR - don't die.

donfilibuster
05-20-2011, 06:19 PM
Id be in favour of soul stones being changed to bodies - which must be carried to a shrine, causing massive encumberance, slow walking and inability to attack.

In a ghostwalk game, if only to mention a precedent, your ghost can actually drag your own body to a temple.

Empireworld
05-20-2011, 06:48 PM
If you can interact with the material plane you will be in some risk of having your spirit killed.

Yep. Sounds like a good idea. :)

Don1966
05-21-2011, 12:02 AM
as it is now, some ghosts and wraiths can slip thru closed doors and gates. why can't i do the same if i'm a ghost? also, ghosts can attack me, again, why can't i do the same when i'm dead?

DragonTroy
05-21-2011, 12:56 AM
as it is now, some ghosts and wraiths can slip thru closed doors and gates. why can't i do the same if i'm a ghost? also, ghosts can attack me, again, why can't i do the same when i'm dead?

as said here:

its not a new concept, but, if you do start attacking as a ghost, and you get killed AGAIN, then that would result in something along the lines of your character being deleted, along with everything on them

which i doubt we would want to do in the first place

varusso
05-21-2011, 12:58 AM
How about, since you are DEAD and a 'ghost' you can just walk through the door? Had a slew of wraiths follow me through a shrine door once, dont see why I couldnt do the same. You would still have to be within 10 seconds of the shrine to even attempt it, so its not like you could coast through the entire dungeon and hop from shrine to shrine, bypassing content. But you could ONLY walk through a door in front of a shrine, not walls, etc.

I dont really care one way or another if they add it, but if *I* were to make a change, this is the one I would make.

Oh and give pale masters a rez ability. Even if they target comes back as some undead icky thing, they SHOULD come back :D Hell give us a self-rez via enchancements or some such, since we now die on incap and take ridiculous damage from light spells :/ Something along the lines of the cleric Death Pact spell.

donfilibuster
05-21-2011, 10:21 AM

Not something you find every time but there's a number of ways to rule out ethereal passage.

An easy one is magical pollution, the MotP explains it can prevent ethereal beings from passing through materials.
The example given was that you can make bricks that block ghosts. Living wood may also be used.

From all the places where you can find magical pollution, Mournlands and X'endrik stand out for Eberron.
On X'endrik it'd be due to all that dust of syberis shards falling from the sky over the centuries.

Then again, enemy ghosts and wraiths do walk through doors to get you in DDO :/

Talon_Moonshadow
05-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Could we get a store item that kills all enemys inside a quest instantly? That would be awesome :P

Only if it teleported you straight to the end chest.

Or even better just bring the chest to you on your guild ship!

Kominalito
05-22-2011, 12:53 PM

because you are a player in a game with rules. this is why you open the door to the shrine before moving on. or why some shrines have timed doors. otherwise you could jsut breeze through the door and res.

Aries1040
05-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1966

Because your not a ghost the soul stone is a way to keep your soul on this plane otherwise when you die you would go to another plane and when you got raised you would come back , just start over or buy a cake most quests can be done in less then 10 minutes , or even funnier put a lfm up ( im dead come raise me ) lol

donfilibuster
05-22-2011, 06:21 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don1966

Because your not a ghost the soul stone is a way to keep your soul on this plane otherwise when you die you would go to another plane and when you got raised you would come back , just start over or buy a cake most quests can be done in less then 10 minutes , or even funnier put a lfm up ( im dead come raise me ) lol

Good point.