PDA

View Full Version : metal threaded wraps at standard drop rates.

dumbbunny
05-16-2011, 09:12 AM
Ok first i am NOT asking for special treatment for monks in any way. All i am hoping for is for wraps to have the standard % for metal effects(silver,cold iron, beshyk(Sp?), flametouched iron, adamantine) as every other weapon type in the game. Yes technically they drop in DA norm and hard however the last pair on khyber with silver threaded and pure good i believe went for around 2 mil plat. No other weapon goes for anything near this and it is because they are readily available. Yes monks have some advantages gear wise but for the most part that is made up for in epics especially because of the lower to hit that most monks have. Also with the addition of crafting every non fist build now has access to holy burst greater banes or some equivalent that can be made bypassing simply by adding those effects to a metal blank of the appropriate type. So what i propose is that metal effect wraps drop everywhere at the standard % for each metal type as is with every other weapon type in the game.

My views on pros and cons to this:

Pros:
universal

completely levels the gear playing field for all practical purposes

gives monks a viable option for bypassing weapons

Moderate boost to our dps is counterbalanced by the improvement in gear for other weapons due to ease of crafting your own

removes the limits on ungeared monks trying to get geared.

Cons:
with holy holy burst shocking burst monks have a lot more effects(but a lower strength and more importaintly to hit)

could throw the monk dps out of wack with other classes(will try to put together some numbers for this to see if this is really so)

Ok i know i'm light on cons but i haven't spent more than a couple days thinking about this post so if anyone has any suggestions on either pros or cons that i have not included feel free to throw it out here if i agree with it i will add it to the list. also understand i play mostly epics at endgame so my slant is not from the normal raids or whatever else its in leet raids and epics where i notice the ups and downs of the class.

TPICKRELL
05-16-2011, 09:54 AM
/signed.

Metal threaded wraps are coded, so this is not asking a lot of the DEVS.

Farming Devouts stinks (my latest monk is on his 5th or 6th shadow crypt ransack and still no drops). Especially when at the end of that pain you get what are crappy bypassers by any other weapon standards. Every melee toon I have can buy much better bypassers on the AH. After today, I will be able to craft much better bypassers for every non-monk toon. I should be able to craft silver threaded wraps without running hundreds of Devil Assaults on normal/hard and hoping for an extremely rare drop.

Dasthug
05-16-2011, 10:20 AM
Metal-threaded handwraps need to either not exist at all, or be as available as every other weapon type. Balancing something around rarity is a terrible design choice. Monks are either too powerful with DR breaking handwraps or they aren't. "Well, they are very powerful but since they are such a pain to get so it's ok" is absolutely not an acceptable solution. It just adds a level of frustration to the monk class that no other class has to endure, especially when combined with the lack of GS wraps.

sirgog
05-16-2011, 10:23 AM
/signed.

Carpone
05-16-2011, 10:25 AM
Metal-threaded handwraps need to either not exist at all, or be as available as every other weapon type. Balancing something around rarity is a terrible design choice. Monks are either too powerful with DR breaking handwraps or they aren't. "Well, they are very powerful but since they are such a pain to get so it's ok" is absolutely not an acceptable solution. It just adds a level of frustration to the monk class that no other class has to endure
Well said.

Billybobml
05-16-2011, 10:32 AM
Think of it this way: It is a replacement time sink that other melee spend shrouding for a MinII...and the second MinII for a TWF...and the LitII...and the second LitII for a TWF...you see where I am going with this.

Monks rock ( I love mine, he be fun!). Every class has strengths and weaknesses...grind or accept the fact that one of your toons might not have every base covered with absolute top end uber gear.

sirgog
05-16-2011, 10:42 AM
Think of it this way: It is a replacement time sink that other melee spend shrouding for a MinII...and the second MinII for a TWF...and the LitII...and the second LitII for a TWF...you see where I am going with this.

Monks rock ( I love mine, he be fun!). Every class has strengths and weaknesses...grind or accept the fact that one of your toons might not have every base covered with absolute top end uber gear.

2 Lit 2's = 5-6 FRDS worth of trades.

2 +5 Holy Silver Khopesh of Pure Good = maybe 2-3 FRDS in trade. And much cheaper to craft some variant now.

1 Devil Assault silver wrap = impossible to trade for with anything less than a Chaosblade scroll (10-12 FRDS). Even then, noone is selling.

Chai
05-16-2011, 10:44 AM
/signed.

Every other class who would need a boss beater can acquire them easily enough for a couple hundred kpp. Theres no reason a monk should have to trade red scales, higher numbers of LDS, etc. for a +1 metalling PG wraps, which is super low end on any other weapon as a boss beater.

Zildoran
05-16-2011, 10:49 AM
/signed

I don't see this as unbalancing anything. If anything it would be more balanced and give newer players a chance at getting a DR breaking handwrap from random lootgen just like ever other class. I got lucky farming shadow crypt, but they are inferior wraps to most DR breakers I see on the auction house (any holy silver beats it on devils).

Entelech
05-16-2011, 10:53 AM
/signed

Especially given the new crafting system, this is a little silly.

dumbbunny
05-22-2011, 05:09 PM

with the rarity of the wraps its the same as saying you will always be stuck with +2 metaline of pg wraps that you had to farm for typically 20+ runs to get. considering +5 metaline of pg wraps do drop and silver wraps do drop i do not see how it is an "you should just grind" situation. silver or cold iron wraps are significantly rarer than the bloodstone which is considered a grind. they also only drop in 3 chests that take 5-10x as long to get to. so i do not understand how you can call it just another grind. i have run 25 or so devils assault runs with 3-5(average of about 4) people and seen 1 metal threaded wrap(addy) in all the runs combined. this is a 25 minute quest all told no matter how you cut it so at that rate... for you personally to get a set is about 1/100 runs with 3 chests so its .333% for any metal wrap per chest then there are 2 desired ones but mostly its silver for a .2% so it will take you 500 runs to get ONE of the silver wraps you are looking for. or about 500*25=208 average hours of dedicated time to get. compare this to getting shroud weapons which is about 45 hours of total time for most people who have geared toons.

I do not see how you can consider this reasonable in any way. if you feel it is well thats your choice i just will never agree.

edited to correct math...

dumbbunny
05-22-2011, 05:12 PM
Metal-threaded handwraps need to either not exist at all, or be as available as every other weapon type. Balancing something around rarity is a terrible design choice. Monks are either too powerful with DR breaking handwraps or they aren't. "Well, they are very powerful but since they are such a pain to get so it's ok" is absolutely not an acceptable solution. It just adds a level of frustration to the monk class that no other class has to endure, especially when combined with the lack of GS wraps.

completely agreed under the condition that they state this is the reason for :)
i think it is reasonable that considering we are active in the forums you also simply explain your thoughts behind changes