PDA

View Full Version : Playing with a group only

Amarok44
05-15-2011, 11:56 PM
I'm still pretty new to DnD. Have been playing on and off for a year or two, but never got further than soloing around Stormreach.

I was wondering if it was possible to play the game with pretty much only groups. A few friends of mine are thinking of playing, but I was wondering how long it would take them to get through the solo stuff before we could be challenged properly in a dungeon? I'd like to get them hooked before they have a chance to think about whether they want to get into this type of game ;)

If you have a set group of three people, is it possible to skip doing the instances in Normal? Most of the early ones are soloable, so if we could bump it up a notch for a decent early game challenge that would be good.

VorpalLaugh
05-16-2011, 01:17 AM
Two things you should know.

1. Only one person in the groups needs to be able play the quest at a certain difficulty for the party to do so.
1.b If anyone in the party is VIP they can open a quest on elite right away.

2. Quests become harder the more people there is. This is called Dungeon Scaling.

whitehawk74
05-16-2011, 01:27 AM
There isnt any need for them to do anything SOLO with exception to the SOLO only quests, and they are few and far between.
Sign them up, run around as a party. Roll up a new char for yourself so you can be the leader and show them the sites :)

I regularly play with 2 or 3 friends, we get hirelings if needed, and it goes much smoother than playing with a full party a lot of the time.
You will notice dungeon scaling when going Solo, or a party doing Normal. There is less scaling on Hard, and some people think there is none on Elite.
If you have the 4 basic classes, Heal, Rogue, Tank & Caster (preferably a wizard) then you have all you need.

Amarok44
05-16-2011, 02:57 AM
Ahh great news, cheers folks. :) They've been off MMOs for a while now, so hopefully I can convince them so spend some time here.

whitehawk74
05-16-2011, 05:19 AM
From what I have heard, DDO is one of the more friendlier MMO's out there. I hardly run into people snobbing newbies asking for advice or being flat out rude for the sake of it. Maybe its because our average age is older than other MMO players.

... and your friends dont have to fork out any money to have a good look at the game either.. talk about a win :)

Sweetpea
05-16-2011, 05:39 AM
i have a bunch of friends who play all the time. when i started i was running with 3-4 of them on a daily basis. i dont think we ever bugged until we started raiding at high lvl. its possible to stick with the same ppl as long as you want. find yourself a friendly server and bring on the friends. you only need to solo if you choose or the dungeon only opens on that (certain quests are solo only) so just find stuff you all want to do and go for it. good luck have fun!!!

Vikkus
05-23-2011, 08:08 AM
I'm still pretty new to DnD. Have been playing on and off for a year or two, but never got further than soloing around Stormreach.

I was wondering if it was possible to play the game with pretty much only groups. A few friends of mine are thinking of playing, but I was wondering how long it would take them to get through the solo stuff before we could be challenged properly in a dungeon? I'd like to get them hooked before they have a chance to think about whether they want to get into this type of game ;)

If you have a set group of three people, is it possible to skip doing the instances in Normal? Most of the early ones are soloable, so if we could bump it up a notch for a decent early game challenge that would be good.

If someone is a VIP you can skip ahead to elite. Though remember that Normal for one person is not the same when you have 3 people. It scales per party member.

And since DDO is free to play it is a good way to get them interested in playing. :)

Ungood
05-23-2011, 08:17 AM
My wife and I play this game, and for the most part we group though all our dungeons, In fact when she TR'ed, I made a big bruiser just to run with her though Krothos, (I had Vet Status, I just chose to do level 1 stuff with her) so we could rip though the quests N/H/E and blast up her levels faster.

There are only (IIRC) 4 Solo only quests in the game, 3 in the harbor (Miller, Spider, Boxes), and one in IQ (Which I am drawing a total blank on). And of course the Shipwreck Shore quest,but that is a special case, "Can you talk?"

So, Return to Krothos, have them log in, and then run with them, you can group from 1 - 20 and then all over again, in a group. And personally I think it is a great way to do things.

Game On!