PDA

View Full Version : The Dwarven Zombie Mage Wakut

Failedlegend
05-12-2011, 06:31 AM
So I'm introducing a friend to the game and while I want her to have an at least semi-competent character I just want to screw around so I figured what better time to roll up a fun throw-away "flavour" (or w/e you want to call it :P) build. It will probably only make it to lvl 10 or so (although If i like it enough I might keep it for solo only).

He combines the toughness/regeneration of the undead, with the buffs of a wizard and the speed and strength of a Dark Monk.

Anyways the plan is to use windstance until haste (spell) is obtained than switch to fire until 3rd tier stance are available at which point I will be in Earth Stance most of the time for the increased crit multiplier and the boosted damage dice from the Jidz Bracers than popping on as many guards as possible...fire stance still readied if ki gets low though.

At 20 this build has the same damage dice as a Pure Monk due to Zombie form and the speed penalty is offset by Haste (Spell) and Haste (Action Boost)

I have it set up so this guy can freely swap between hand wraps (Primary, Bludgeoning) and dual shortsword/kamas (Secondary Piercing/Slashing respectively) depending on the situations (DR, available named items, etc.) also note that due to his Monk levels he has a 17 BAB (at 20) for the purposes of any Ki weapons (handwraps,etc.)

The main issue I'm having is deciding what level order I want...Monk at lvl 1 is obvious due to skill points/remove drunken punch syndrome (aka Elaineism (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DY_DF2Af3LM)) but after I'm stumped I think the order below is probably the best though.

Again I know this isn't going to be an optimal build but I would like to make it the best it can be within the parameters of the build.

Lawful Neutral Dwarf Monk12/Wizard7/Fighter1 "Zombie/Ninja Spy"

Stats

Str 16 (Lvl ups here)
Dex 15
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 6

Level Order

Monk 1
Wizard 2-8
Monk 9-18
Fighter 19
Monk 20

Feats (In Order)

Regular

1 SF: Concentration
3 SF: UMD
6 Power Attack
9 Stunning Blow
12 ITWF
15 IC: Bludgeon
18 Mental Toughness

Wiz

2 Extend
6 SF:Necro

Monk

1 TWF
9 Toughness
13 Dodge

Fighter

19 GTWF

Skills

All Levels: Concentration, UMD
Monk Levels: Add Balance
Any Leftover points in Spot

Spells

1 Jump, Night Shield, Exp Retreat, Feather Fall, Detect Doors
2 Lesser Death Aura, False Life, Resist Energy, Blur sometimes Melf's (no save ftw)
3 Haste, Displacement, Rage
4 Death Aura, Neg Burst

Edit: I'm sorry I couldn't help myself vvvv

http://i622.photobucket.com/albums/tt310/Kobold-Bard/Demotivators/Multiclassing.png

PestWulf
05-18-2011, 01:00 PM
Hey! :)

I actually have been playing around with something of the same concept. It's obvious the designers meant for a 6 splash wizard to go with monk, I guess it's just taking a while for these builds to filter around since It may not be a high end type build.

Anyway, I chose halfling instead of dwarf because I'm duoing this build with a friend of mine and halfling provides a better armor / to-hit bonus to help over come the early levels of mage I have. Halfling companion with two halflings is an incredible boost.

with that said, I chose the following
1 Wizard
2 Monk
3 - 8 Wizard
9-20 Monk

My reasoning is to get to the self regeneration and crit immunity as early as possible. With the halfling to-hit bonus and the companion boost for hard to hit bosses, my friend and I are taking things out on hard mode in record time for us. We can get to two and sometimes three fights with a single one minute boost thanks to having expeditious. Back at level 4 with a 30 AC and blur we were finding that only the lucky crits now and then made us stop long enough to top off with a hireling (we park them at the front of the dungeon and usually leave them there, but sometimes have to call them to top off instead of quaffing).

I'm not sure how the to-hit will be with a dwarf. It may be that you need some more monk earlier to hit decently. The only thing I considered changing in my build was if I should get a second level of monk for evasion early on or not. With the way fights have been going, I've chosen not to. I don't seem to need it right now, the only actual threat I've found is lightning bolt. Without evasion a kobold shaman can do almost 80 damage at level 5 and even with a 14 starting Con, false life item/spell and the two halfling toughness enhancements...that's dicey business.

EDIT:
Oh, just as a side note. I was reading the forums a bit ago after the patch and I had read that the Earth stance crit increases for the last two are for weapons only and do not affect fist wraps. I don't have a high enough monk to confirm that myself, but it wasn't really disputed in the thread so I'm guessing that's the case.

Alektronic
05-18-2011, 01:39 PM

Oh, just as a side note. I was reading the forums a bit ago after the patch and I had read that the Earth stance crit increases for the last two are for weapons only and do not affect fist wraps. I don't have a high enough monk to confirm that myself, but it wasn't really disputed in the thread so I'm guessing that's the case.

From the release notes:

Mountain Stance III and IV now also increase the critical multiplier of monk weapons (and unarmed combat) by 1 on rolled of a natural 19 or 20.

Would have to be a bug if it worked otherwise =[.

bladepro
05-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Only suggestion I would have is possible to use WF if you have it available for the ability to repair you self.

PestWulf
05-18-2011, 02:06 PM
From the release notes:

Mountain Stance III and IV now also increase the critical multiplier of monk weapons (and unarmed combat) by 1 on rolled of a natural 19 or 20.

Would have to be a bug if it worked otherwise =[.

Excellent...I wonder if this is different than the original notes? Or perhaps I looked at the compendium or something, but I could have sworn I didn't see it mention unarmed when it first came out. Probably mistaken, thanks for the info regardless.

Failedlegend
05-18-2011, 04:27 PM
Only suggestion I would have is possible to use WF if you have it available for the ability to repair you self.

Palemaster forms = self-healing through palemaster abilities

palemaster forms = makes you immune to repair/heal spells thus nullifying WFs advantage

Palemaster Forms = All WF Immunities + More

Otherwise I would use WF...I take Dwarf for the ability to use robes which in most cases are either superior to or the same as docents and because Dwarf+Monk = Win + the fact I have yet to roll a dwarf = even more win.

Failedlegend
05-18-2011, 04:41 PM

I actually have been playing around with something of the same concept. It's obvious the designers meant for a 6 splash wizard to go with monk, I guess it's just taking a while for these builds to filter around since It may not be a high end type build.

Anyway, I chose halfling instead of dwarf because I'm duoing this build with a friend of mine and halfling provides a better armor / to-hit bonus to help over come the early levels of mage I have. Halfling companion with two halflings is an incredible boost.

with that said, I chose the following
1 Wizard
2 Monk
3 - 8 Wizard
9-20 Monk

My reasoning is to get to the self regeneration and crit immunity as early as possible. With the halfling to-hit bonus and the companion boost for hard to hit bosses, my friend and I are taking things out on hard mode in record time for us. We can get to two and sometimes three fights with a single one minute boost thanks to having expeditious. Back at level 4 with a 30 AC and blur we were finding that only the lucky crits now and then made us stop long enough to top off with a hireling (we park them at the front of the dungeon and usually leave them there, but sometimes have to call them to top off instead of quaffing).

I'm not sure how the to-hit will be with a dwarf. It may be that you need some more monk earlier to hit decently. The only thing I considered changing in my build was if I should get a second level of monk for evasion early on or not. With the way fights have been going, I've chosen not to. I don't seem to need it right now, the only actual threat I've found is lightning bolt. Without evasion a kobold shaman can do almost 80 damage at level 5 and even with a 14 starting Con, false life item/spell and the two halfling toughness enhancements...that's dicey business.

I was at a toss-up between Halfling and Dwarf and pretty much just chose Dwarf since I don't have one and since I'm pretty much going to ignore AC and if it weren't for ToD I'd probably completely dump Wisdom. Than Dex is going to be 15(Base)+2(Tome) than left that way...with Str/Con being my main stats AKA Fire/Earth.

From what you've said your build is probably pretty solid I'm just curious about two things whats you main stats (dex/wis?) and why did you take wizard at lvl 1 as opposed to monk...monk = more skills points (I'm guessing to take extend at lvl 1?)

To answer your question about Monk 2/Evasion Lvl 9 is a perfect spot any earlier is merely nice and getting Palemaster1/Zombie Form ASAP is IMHO much more important.

Oh and don't worry about the kobold shamans those things are a PITA for new players or Non-TR Mega Optimized Toons.

PestWulf
05-19-2011, 08:59 AM
No, lvl 1 Wizard was a mistake that I couldn't really undo. I originally was going to go with an ArchMage, started on a new server with a friend, spent a few of the monthly points to get a Huge bag and then switched Ideas. Since I was no longer going to be playing the wiz and putting my time into my zombie monk, I wanted to make use of the bag :)

I have Veteran, but my friend didn't so I started at 1 and I'm kind of use to not really thinking about the first few levels or so.

Here's a link to a post I made in the multi-class forum looking for some feed back on a few enhancement options. It's kind of rambling since I made it during my spare time at work and isn't in a char builder export format.
http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=3804321&postcount=1

I'm doing him as a finesse build and going for AC and counting on the overlapping Hero Companion buffs to make up for some damage loss during crunch times. Went 16 Dex and 16 Wis and plan to put the lvl up points into Dex.

Edit: Oh, one thing I didn't put in that I should have, I do plan on getting a +2 CON tome later in the build (or actually whenever I find a good deal on the AH that I can afford). With crafting in the game, I'm finding money easier to come by than ever so I can likely do it shortly after lvl 7.

Failedlegend
05-19-2011, 09:12 AM
I'm doing him as a finesse build and going for AC and counting on the overlapping Hero Companion buffs to make up for some damage loss during crunch times. Went 16 Dex and 16 Wis and plan to put the lvl up points into Dex.

Ah ok that how you have 30AC...yeah I'm going Str/Con so AC is a no go for me :P

Still debating dumping wisdom....is their anything I'm missing its needed for beyond AC, water stance and ToD (starting at 14 prob won't get me a useful DC anyway)....anyone?

Alektronic
05-19-2011, 09:42 AM
Ah ok that how you have 30AC...yeah I'm going Str/Con so AC is a no go for me :P

Still debating dumping wisdom....is their anything I'm missing its needed for beyond AC, water stance and ToD (starting at 14 prob won't get me a useful DC anyway)....anyone?

Wisdom also affects how much your ki bar maxes out at. For example, my 17/2 pally monk has 16 buffed wisdom, so his ki bar sits at just around 50. If it were only wisdom, then you'd be screwed cuz you couldn't TOD (can never get enuf ki). Fortunately, more monk lvls also boost the max ki that you can hold.

tl;dr You should be fine keeping wis relatively low/dumped.

PestWulf
05-19-2011, 10:00 AM
Wisdom also affects how much your ki bar maxes out at. For example, my 17/2 pally monk has 16 buffed wisdom, so his ki bar sits at just around 50. If it were only wisdom, then you'd be screwed cuz you couldn't TOD (can never get enuf ki). Fortunately, more monk lvls also boost the max ki that you can hold.

Hmm...according to my DDO Bible (ddowiki.com....bless the maintainer's of that site).

here's an excerpt from what they say on maximum Ki

"Your base maximum ki is equal to ten times the character's monk level, plus forty, plus five times your Wisdom modifier." -ddowiki.com

Because he's jacking concentration up, his decay rate will be great too.

"For each multiple of your Concentration skill that it exceeds it by, you receive -1 Ki for every 6 seconds." -ddowiki.com

PestWulf
05-19-2011, 10:11 AM

My AC at level 5 is currently 32 from
10 Base
3 From 16 Dex
3 From 16 Wis
1 From Halfling racial
4 From starting widow bracers (made a 4 thief an stole em...a little ironic actually)
4 From Shield Spell
1 From Protection starter ring
1 From Wind Stance Dex gain
1 From Dodge Feat
1 From Halfling Dex enhancement + Stat gain at level 4
1 From Alchemy ritual
1 From +2 Dex item
1 From +2 Wis item

So I actually have a 32AC now since I picked up the +2 items off a vendor. The alchemy enchant is only 5 pure water and a 15 prayer beads and running the beginning harbor quests will get you more than enough to enchant anything you want. I believe my robes are mobility of lesser false life or something..basically junk until I can get a decent upgrade and only really wearing them so I can get the 1AC enchant :)

Also, since you're not getting Stunning Fist, the only thing I could think of that will be a little lower for you are your will saves. So it looks like a clean cut.

Alektronic
05-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Hmm...according to my DDO Bible (ddowiki.com....bless the maintainer's of that site).

here's an excerpt from what they say on maximum Ki

"Your base maximum ki is equal to ten times the character's monk level, plus forty, plus five times your Wisdom modifier." -ddowiki.com

Because he's jacking concentration up, his decay rate will be great too.

"For each multiple of your Concentration skill that it exceeds it by, you receive -1 Ki for every 6 seconds." -ddowiki.com

Checked myddo, I've got 75 ki (18 pally/2monk btw). Just confirming the calc.

skunk
05-21-2011, 06:41 AM

2 Lesser Death Aura, False Life, Resist Energy, Blur
4 Death Aura, Stone Skin

1 Jump, Exp Retreat, Magic Missile, Detect Door, Shield.
2 Lesser Death Aura, Blur, Melfs Acid Arrow, Invisibility
3 Haste, Rage, Acid Blast.
4 Death Aura, Neg Energy Blast.

(my opinion)

Failedlegend
05-21-2011, 07:06 AM

Your base maximum ki is equal to ten times the character's monk level, plus forty, plus five times your Wisdom modifier.

Interesting...with a wis of 8 I can easily get 16 Wis (+2 tome and + 6 item) which equates to 135 Max Ki...(12x10)+(3x5) = 135

Hmmm...possible new Stat Spread

Str 16
Dex 15
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 6

I would make Wis 8 but it needs to be at least 12 so w/ a +2 tome it will be 14 which = Prereq for adept of Rain which in turn is a Pre-Req for ToD...too bad it would have been nice to have 18 Con.

Actually lowering Wis got me thinking I could increase Int a bit for Skill points...although nothing really jumped out skill wise until I thought about trap skills...pointlessly since I dropped rogue in favor of Fighter since its the only way to take GTWF due to BAB issues.

Anyways that got me thinking...is it worth it to take rogue instead of Fighter and just forget about GTWF....Blasphemy I know but hear me out.

GTWF = Increases the chance to proc an off-hand attack by 20%, bringing the total chance to 80%.

Rogue 1 = Unlocks UMD, Trap Skills, 1d6+3 SA

So would it possibly be worth it...or am I just nuts

Another possibility since this build is going to be so survivable maybe I should take Fighter at level 2 and take intimidate as a skill as well...so many choices

Again...insane..or..no?

2 Lesser Death Aura, False Life, Resist Energy, Blur
4 Death Aura, Stone Skin

(my opinion)

Reasoning?

PestWulf
05-25-2011, 08:22 AM
Interesting...with a wis of 8 I can easily get 16 Wis (+2 tome and + 6 item) which equates to 135 Max Ki...(12x10)+(3x5) = 135

Hmmm...possible new Stat Spread

Str 16
Dex 15
Con 16
Int 12
Wis 12
Cha 6

Another possibility since this build is going to be so survivable maybe I should take Fighter at level 2 and take intimidate as a skill as well...so many choices

Again...insane..or..no?

Reasoning?

Personally I don't think it's insane, but I do think you need to pick a focus. Unless you plan on a solo build, being a generalist is usually less useful than having a specialty or at least some emphasized points. If it were me, I would likely drop the thiefly things and go for the better damage and rely on the improved evasion if soloing.

Alektronic
05-25-2011, 09:58 AM
Rogue vs Fighter? Looks like a personal call to me :p.

Failedlegend
05-25-2011, 08:34 PM
Personally I don't think it's insane, but I do think you need to pick a focus. Unless you plan on a solo build, being a generalist is usually less useful than having a specialty or at least some emphasized points. If it were me, I would likely drop the thiefly things and go for the better damage and rely on the improved evasion if soloing.

Yeah I was 99% sure it was a bad idea and didnt really want to do it....we just needed to fill a hole in our dup...but wee fixed that by swapping the pairing of our characters around now most bases are covered with Trap Skills being the most commonly ignored.

In the unlikely event anyone's interested here's our Duos on Orien (we only use orien when were both playing) Currently were only playing Duo one until we earn/can afford vet status.

Duo 1

Me = Warforged Melee FvS - Currently AoV (Aura of menace is nice) but waiting on DA

Her = Halfling Dex/Wis Monk - Focused on being as defensive as possible. Shintao

Duo 2

Me = Dwarf Str/Con Monk/Wiz....Zombie Monk (yeah this one)

Her = WF THF Paladin....She wanted a melee with fun stuff

Duo 3

Me = Human Paladin Intim/Hate Tank.....B-Sword & Board Tank...Full THF line so can freely swap between S&B and a 2-Hander.

Her = Elven Ranger Archer.....AA of course

Duo 4

Half-Orc Frenzied Barbarian....still unsure just wanted something that could do crazy no holes barred DPS and figured a frenzied barb would suit that.

Dwarven S&B Cleric.....She strangely finds watching red bars fun...she also wanted a shield....has full THF line so can freely swap between G-Axes and D-Axes/Shield

skunk
05-26-2011, 03:47 AM

here is why i took each spell.

Jump, if you want to solo in some areas this spell is worth it.
Exp retreat will make up for your being overly slow as a zombie

lesser death aura, it stacks with death aura for when you need that extra healing,
Blur, its long and it will stop some attacks,
melfs, its a dot, you cast once, and it keeps ticking. Use this as you pick a mob to fight
ivis, because i like to have this spell, there are many places it comes in handy.
Haste, you will need this on you 24/7 to make up for your 20% attack speed loss.
rage, you will want this on at all times when/if you solo or are the onlyone alive after fighting beholders,
acidblast, its just as good as fireball, and good AOE opener to get mobs on you.
Death Aura your main long term heal over time,
Neg energy blast, this is your cure serious wounds spell.

i just like shield over night shield, personal choice. I take Magic Missile for constructs.

Your a wizard, you will change spells by dungeon, but this is my main staple i use right now as a 7 PM 4 rogue 1 monk.

You could do with scrolls on a couple of them, but you are going to have alot of spots taken for weapons, armor and spell components. Your going to need GH Scrolls, Teleport scrolls, possible harm type (max one you can cast). As a 7 wiz, if you get to 12 mana, you can't heal, there is not a low enough cost spell to do this for you. level 2 lesser death aura is 15 mana.

Failedlegend
05-26-2011, 07:16 AM
Left out your reasoning for any spells that we've both taken (except for a correction about exp retreat)

Exp retreat will make up for your being overly slow as a zombie

Zombie has no MOVEMENT speed reduction...but yeah I take that one too....especially since I plan to be in Earth Stance which does have a movement reduction

melfs, its a dot, you cast once, and it keeps ticking. Use this as you pick a mob to fight

Tempting as it has no save or SR....not sure what I'd drop for it though

acidblast, its just as good as fireball, and good AOE opener to get mobs on you.

I would rather have displacement...especially since I have little reason why I would want people attacking me especially with the SA from Ninja Spy also unlike Melf's this does have a save.

i just like shield over night shield, personal choice.

Being that my AC will be comparative to a Barbarian I'd rather Night Shield for the saves...plus it sounds more undeadish as opposed to the happy brightness of shield :P...really doesn't matter since you mainly cast it for MM immunity

I take Magic Missile for constructs.

No reason your fists would do far more damage

Regardless this is one of the reasons its awesome to have a Battle Wiz opposed to a Battle Sorc (AKA Wakut vs. Tukaw :P) because you can adfapt to the current situation which is awesome for a build like this....although I would kill for the Sorcs increased spell pool.

PestWulf
05-26-2011, 10:11 AM
Duo 2

Me = Dwarf Str/Con Monk/Wiz....Zombie Monk (yeah this one)

Her = WF THF Paladin....She wanted a melee with fun stuff

See...there is just something inherently wrong with a Paladin partnering with a Zombie. Unless of course she is one of Dreiden's Zealots... (may have spelled that wrong, boss guy in the catacombs series).

Anyway, I'm actually a bit enthralled by the idea of a Zombie Paladin or Barbarian, heh.

I've been wondering if in the case of a Barbarian if Cleave, G. Cleave and S. Cleave would overcome the attack speed penalty or if they somehow get hit by it as well.

Like the duo's though :) I also spend the majority of my time in-game in a duo. Though I do have a static 4-person party that's playing now. (2 AM Evo wizards, 1 Dex/Str acro/archer rouge and me, PM tank)

We've gotten into the habit of naming our duo's with a guild. We have around 15 or so duos but the memorable ones are:
Smite Club: Paladin + Maul Kensai

It's only a Flesh Wound: Halfling Zombie/Monk duo

Blame it on the Rangers: Bow Kensai + Bow Kensai (actually, unbelievably effective duo..currently at lvl 18 before we got sidetracked)

MechWar: WF Dual Scimitar Barb + WF AM Enchantment spec (incredible tanking capacity with dual bodyfeeder scimitars)

We usually build our duo's around a concept or something that seems cool and we wonder if it will work or not. We've had quite a few failure duo's that we've deleted, but lots of them excelled better than we would have thought like the MechWar and Rangers duo's.

The layered hp procs makes for some insane tanking ability despite having no AC (Blademark Docent, Stalwart Trinket, dual BodyFeeders scimitars and IC:Slash for a 30% proc chance)

The rangers however were the biggest surprise. The ability to destroy things at range, then one of us switch to sword/board and taunt/tank while the other continues to line them up for the Imp. Precise shots..it really is some great fun. When a archer gets agro, the switch to sword/board, taunt and bunker down until the other gets agro, then they swap roles. Reminds me of the Trash bots on the old Transformers movie (the one with Orson Wells and the Wierd Al soundtrack, not these latest new ones)

Phidius
05-26-2011, 10:23 AM
...although I would kill for the Sorcs increased spell pool.

Kill the Demon Queen, probably 20-60 times. The Torc makes your spell point concerns go away, at least on a battlecaster.

...Blame it on the Rangers: Bow Kensai + Bow Kensai (actually, unbelievably effective duo..currently at lvl 18 before we got sidetracked)

I love the theme name :D

Failedlegend
05-26-2011, 05:54 PM
See...there is just something inherently wrong with a Paladin partnering with a Zombie.

Actually That was entirely the point she's even going "Hunter of The Dead" but now thanks to you I need to name our Duos :P hmmm....

Unnamed: Warforged Melee FvS & Halfling Dex/Wis Monk

Blasphemy: Dwarven Str/Con Zombie Monk & WF HOTD THF Paladin

Unnamed: Human Paladin Intim/Hate Tank & Elven Ranger AA

Unnamed: Half-Orc Frenzied Barbarian & Dwarven S&B Cleric

skunk
05-29-2011, 08:13 AM
Left out your reasoning for any spells that we've both taken (except for a correction about exp retreat)

Zombie has no MOVEMENT speed reduction...but yeah I take that one too....especially since I plan to be in Earth Stance which does have a movement reduction

Tempting as it has no save or SR....not sure what I'd drop for it though

I would rather have displacement...especially since I have little reason why I would want people attacking me especially with the SA from Ninja Spy also unlike Melf's this does have a save.

Being that my AC will be comparative to a Barbarian I'd rather Night Shield for the saves...plus it sounds more undeadish as opposed to the happy brightness of shield :P...really doesn't matter since you mainly cast it for MM immunity

No reason your fists would do far more damage

Regardless this is one of the reasons its awesome to have a Battle Wiz opposed to a Battle Sorc (AKA Wakut vs. Tukaw :P) because you can adfapt to the current situation which is awesome for a build like this....although I would kill for the Sorcs increased spell pool.

Fist do more damage, but unless your cleric/fvs carries harm, there are times your going to have to drop back. I have noticed this mostly with Constructs. My guy is 13 right now. the Von Series construct bosses seem to rip through ya, even with 100% fort. You might have a different experience. I seem to move slower on a zombie, but then it might just be i am used to running faster. I like displacement, great spell. its my switch out spell. :)

I am working on a sorc/pali build based on acid. I enjoy flavor builds, I have my uber builds, they are just not as fun.

PestWulf
05-31-2011, 09:46 AM
Actually That was entirely the point she's even going "Hunter of The Dead" but now thanks to you I need to name our Duos :P hmmm....

ooh, like the name :) hope you can get it.

Also, I was playing around with my zombie monk and noticed that my crits in zombie form seem to be doing 1d6 of INT damage. I thought the "You Hunger for Brains" description was just descriptive, but it appears there is an unreported bonus to zombie form of INT stat damage on vorpal. Interesting..and a bit funny.

So far, I'm finding that the cut of zombie animiation for monk moves isn't as slow as I was expecting it to be. With a haste in there, you still have that weird zombie form of unarmed combat and it doesn't look like it speeds up much, but the numbers on the screen do come up more often.

I really wish they would reconsider the Double Damage vs. light though. It's fairly horrible as far as penalties go. Was doing Into the Deep last night on Normal with some friends and the Flame Strikes were hitting me for between 60 and 80 damage. I had 20 point fire res up, but theres nothing I can do about that divine damage. I'm level 7 now (1monk / 6 wiz) and sitting at 130 hp, but that flamestrike is just plain nasty and it seems that most clerics in the game carry it and priest types seem to be in about every possible dungeon. It's way more crippling of a penalty than the attack speed reduction IMO.

skunk
05-31-2011, 09:55 AM
ooh, like the name :) hope you can get it.

Also, I was playing around with my zombie monk and noticed that my crits in zombie form seem to be doing 1d6 of INT damage. I thought the "You Hunger for Brains" description was just descriptive, but it appears there is an unreported bonus to zombie form of INT stat damage on vorpal. Interesting..and a bit funny.

So far, I'm finding that the cut of zombie animiation for monk moves isn't as slow as I was expecting it to be. With a haste in there, you still have that weird zombie form of unarmed combat and it doesn't look like it speeds up much, but the numbers on the screen do come up more often.

I really wish they would reconsider the Double Damage vs. light though. It's fairly horrible as far as penalties go. Was doing Into the Deep last night on Normal with some friends and the Flame Strikes were hitting me for between 60 and 80 damage. I had 20 point fire res up, but theres nothing I can do about that divine damage. I'm level 7 now (1monk / 6 wiz) and sitting at 130 hp, but that flamestrike is just plain nasty and it seems that most clerics in the game carry it and priest types seem to be in about every possible dungeon. It's way more crippling of a penalty than the attack speed reduction IMO.

Watch yourself in deleras wrights like to cast searing light more then other clerics. You have to fight clerics first at all cost in this form and move around to try to avoid the spells.

I am not sure if you take stun, but it might help to stun the clerics.

PestWulf
06-02-2011, 11:39 AM
As I play this character, I'm finding the lack of Nullification and Void items that I can actually use to be quite disturbing.

At level 7, I'm 6 Wiz, 1 monk and i'm running a 2d6 fist damage with Jidz in earth stance. I'm ok with the lower attack speed, but the problem is the complete lack of negative energy gear that is monk usable. I've got the splinterskull ring but it will only effect lesser death aura. Potency helms/rings etc. are all rare animals that I have yet to see after a week of scanning the AH and shopping around. You can find them on weapons that are not monk "center" usable, but that's about it.

So, to remedy this, I've been saving up essences from adventures and dropped a couple hundred k of the money i've gotten from AH sales to pick up some good deals on essences and got my divine skill up to 25 in crafting.

To make an Improved Nullification 4 I'm going to need a 44 Divine for a 100%, 55 to get the Greater (50% version). Voidlore I can make now and Greater Void i think is around a 44 again.

So I went ahead and made some Vicious handwraps of void lore so that I will at least have 6% crit increase. I also picked up a coupld Nihil (75%) boosters. I'm having to put them in, lose my stance pop them for boosted healing. With the Nihil 75% and my innate 25% i'm seeing values of 8 from the 1d4 lesser aura with crits as high as 12.

This bodes very well for my tanking future if I can just straighten out my augmentation woes.

EDIT: Ah! just realized the Twisted Talisman out of Red Fens does more than blood sacrifice. Has the Greater Nullification 4 i'm looking for (40%..good enough! woot!)

Failedlegend
07-05-2011, 09:43 PM

Unnamed: Warforged Melee FvS & Halfling Dex/Wis Monk

Unnamed: Human Paladin Intim/Hate Tank & Elven Ranger AA

Unnamed: Half-Orc Frenzied Barbarian & Dwarven S&B Cleric

Slight change to the roster

???: Elven Kensai2/Mech1/AA & WF HOTD/KOTC THF Paladin

Yin & Yang: Dwarven Str/Con Zombie Dark Monk/Wiz & Halfling Dex/Wis Light Monk

Wall of Arrows: Human Paladin Intim/Hate Tank & Elven Ranger AA

Babysitters Nightmare: Half-Orc Frenzied Barbarian & Dwarven S&B Cleric

Feel free to suggest less lame duo names :P

Note: All of the above are members of "Sibling Rivalry" my friends and family guild on Orien

PestWulf
07-06-2011, 10:08 AM
HA! I love it!! Especially the Yin & Yang! Nice job :)

How are you finding your Zombie monk? I've gotten a little disturbed about how much "light" damage there is in the game now. I wanted my duo to be an "in your face" tanking kind of duo, but with Flame Strike in Red Fens hitting for between 80 to 100+ on Normal against our level 7 duos...It was just spiraling downhill. We stopped playing them to re-assess the situation a bit. The light damage seems to be a show stopper when you don't have a team to help control it AND you plan on being the tank. Not quite sure what to do there.

Failedlegend
07-06-2011, 10:42 AM
HA! I love it!! Especially the Yin & Yang! Nice job :)

How are you finding your Zombie monk? I've gotten a little disturbed about how much "light" damage there is in the game now. I wanted my duo to be an "in your face" tanking kind of duo, but with Flame Strike in Red Fens hitting for between 80 to 100+ on Normal against our level 7 duos...It was just spiraling downhill. We stopped playing them to re-assess the situation a bit. The light damage seems to be a show stopper when you don't have a team to help control it AND you plan on being the tank. Not quite sure what to do there.

I'm loving my zombie Monk the light damage is a huge issue but since this is a static duo we've learned what has light attacks and ill hang back for a sec so she can take light damage aggro its not perfect but its the best we can do to attempt to soften the crippling affect of this handicap that Turbine has forced on us.

Personally I think the addition of light weakness was stupid I get plenty of "oh ****" moments when I get hit by a light spell for 200+ damage it would probably be much worse in a PUG.

Oh and while I'm posting I'd like to thank all Clerics that have started slotting Harm (or even an inflict spell) it's not something I expect but I definitely appreciate it because most of you are much faster on the heal (harm??) than I am and have saved me from a many of a light based massacre (referring to my PM Wiz on Thelanis here not my duos).

In closing PLEASE change this devs PM is not OP actually its the ONLY viable reason to lose divine healing in game right now but the light damage is making me and alot of others consider going back to WF Archmage despite the fact that its a far more boring PrE. OH and fix our ToD set it currently useless as its less than a Nihil clicky and doesn't stack change it back to what it used to be but less so...+200% is OP maybe +50% or something....maybe make it so it turns all positive healing increase into negative healing increases (Human healing amp, monk healing amp, pally past life, etc.)

PestWulf
07-06-2011, 11:33 AM
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Me and my duo are both zombie monks, so we can't really hang back, someone is getting Zotted.

I can't imagine what a Vampire with Quadruple damage is going to do besides Evaporate. I don't see the need for this penalty at all and I also think it is way out of proportion. It's not like there is *any* resistance gear to Light based damage.

If they only wanted undead forms to be "in the back" caster types, I could potentially understand the danger increase though I still wouldn't agree with it. But in the case of the Zombie form, it is intentional and build for getting into melee with hand to hand damage. Knowing this..and knowing that they put divine casters EVERYWHERE who just love to use Web Strike, uh, I mean Flame Strike.....I just can't understand why they added double damage.

Failedlegend
07-06-2011, 12:20 PM
Yeah, I was afraid of that. Me and my duo are both zombie monks, so we can't really hang back, someone is getting Zotted.

I can't imagine what a Vampire with Quadruple damage is going to do besides Evaporate. I don't see the need for this penalty at all and I also think it is way out of proportion. It's not like there is *any* resistance gear to Light based damage.

If they only wanted undead forms to be "in the back" caster types, I could potentially understand the danger increase though I still wouldn't agree with it. But in the case of the Zombie form, it is intentional and build for getting into melee with hand to hand damage. Knowing this..and knowing that they put divine casters EVERYWHERE who just love to use Web Strike, uh, I mean Flame Strike.....I just can't understand why they added double damage.

Really if were going to be weak against light damage (which doesn't make sense because beyond a few specific mobs undead aren't weak against light) give us the following.

Enhancement costs 1AP and is available with PM1 (with tier 2/3 increasing the relevant bonuses) these templates only affect you and your skeleton summon....other summons or charmed mobs are unaffected.\

Note: Only one may be chosen

Bloody Template: Extra HP, DR/ Good and Death Aura ticks faster. Strength is increased and weapon damage (including unarmed) is increased.

Blackboned Template: Gain Immunity to Fire,Weapons (including unarmed) have Flaming Burst Property, Fire spell Damage and crit profile is increased also adds a toggleable Fire Shield ability (no cost)

Frostmarrow Template: Gain Immunity to Cold,Weapons (including unarmed) have Icy Burst Property, Ice spell Damage and crit profile is increased also adds a toggleable Cold Shield ability (no cost)

Also change the summon line so we choose Mage, Archer OR Warrior (instead of having to take warrior and archer to get mage) and make it so any ONE element can unlock the summons (as opposed to requiring both fire & cold)

Based on our choice of summon the skeleton gets. (Yeah just the basic skeleton can be summoned but he gets to add the above "race" template and the below "class") also the CR of the summon increases with your character level

These cost 2ap to add and again only one may be chosen (relevant stuff increase with your character level) this only affects your skeleton summon...nothing else.

Warrior: Increase BAB of Skeleton to Full Attack Progression. Threat Generation is Doubled. AC, DR and Hit Points are increased. A Long Sword, armor and shield is added. Uses Shield Combat Feats including Shield Mastery also he gains intimidate (based off your concentration) and the Warriors Sunder and Trip.

Archer: Increase BAB of Skeleton to Full Attack Progression. Gains a Bow and over BAB progression gains and uses Archery Feats including periodic use of Many Shot and once available IPS.

Mage: Gains spell use and aura.

Note: Any skeleton summoned by a PM comes equipped with a toolbar similar to a hireling (skeleton does not take a party slot)

Lastly fix the Palemaster ToD set

It currently useless as its less than a Nihil clicky and doesn't stack change it back to what it used to be but less so...+200% is OP maybe +50% or something....maybe make it so it turns all positive healing increase into negative healing increases (Human healing amp, monk healing amp, pally past life, etc.)

Than I'll be fine with the light damage

* Credit for some of the above ideas go to Aesop although I changed/added stuff*