PDA

View Full Version : Help me fix my borked Cleric

Synonym
05-10-2011, 09:18 PM
So I decided to log back into DDO and started messing around realizing how much great has changed with the game. Kudos to the Turbine team for making the game very nice now. The bad news is that my toon is completely borked to hell and back. Here's where he stands:

Character Plan by DDO Character Planner Version 3.9.1
DDO Character Planner Home Page (http://www.rjcyberware.com/DDO)

Level 5 True Neutral Dwarf Male
(1 Fighter \ 4 Cleric)
Hit Points: 72
Spell Points: 309
BAB: 4\4
Fortitude: 8
Reflex: 1
Will: 7

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Abilities Base Stats Modified Stats
(28 Point) (Level 1) (Level 5)
Strength 12 13
Dexterity 10 10
Constitution 14 15
Intelligence 10 10
Wisdom 16 16
Charisma 12 12

Starting Feat/Enhancement
Base Skills Modified Skills
Skills (Level 1) (Level 5)
Balance 1 5
Bluff 1 1
Concentration 6 8
Diplomacy 1 1
Disable Device n/a n/a
Haggle 1 1
Heal 5 7
Hide 0 0
Intimidate 1 1
Jump 1 4
Listen 3 3
Move Silently 0 0
Open Lock n/a n/a
Perform n/a n/a
Repair 0 0
Search 0 2
Spot 3 3
Swim 1 1
Tumble n/a n/a
Use Magic Device n/a n/a

Level 1 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Mental Toughness

Level 2 (Fighter)
Feat: (Fighter Bonus) Stunning Blow

Level 3 (Cleric)
Feat: (Selected) Combat Casting

Level 4 (Cleric)

Level 5 (Cleric)
Enhancement: Fighter Attack Boost I
Enhancement: Fighter Haste Boost I
Enhancement: Dwarven Armored Agility I
Enhancement: Dwarven Axe Damage I
Enhancement: Dwarven Constitution I
Enhancement: Dwarven Faith I
Enhancement: Dwarven Spell Defense I
Enhancement: Dwarven Tactics I
Enhancement: Cleric Life Magic I
Enhancement: Cleric Energy of the Zealot I

So my problem is this: I don't want to start over because honestly, I don't want to grind the favor he has all over again. He has about 200 favor and I'd really like to get to the point where I can use Drow and so on without buying it. For the record I was an old subscriber so my account is Premium. And I prefer to keep that as close to Freemium as possible.

Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix this cleric? Personally, based on my playstyle and what I have seen as CL5, I'd prefer a 2-handed meleeing cleric w/ good healing and buffing, but don't care about offensive spells much.

Any help is appreciated.

PS: Don't even ask why I put points into some of that stuff. Seriously, I have no clue.

Darknark
05-10-2011, 09:25 PM
Note: I have not played a cleric (or any healer, or even a real melee) past around level 6.

With that out of the way I can suggest (IF you want to melee):
- Get +str items. By level 12 you should easily have +5
- Put ability points into str
- Str Tomes
- +5 weapon rather than +2 of pure good (numbers are just random, but the +5 on the first is damage as well as accuracy, while the second is +(2 + 1d6).
- Take toughness and the enhancements for Hp, boost Wis with an item if you don't want combat casting.
- Take two handed fighting for the glancing blows.
- http://ddowiki.com/page/STR

And lastly, if you want 400 favor for drow, it sounds like you want to 'reroll' anyways, just tough it out till 400. IT goes fast. http://ddowiki.com/page/Guide_to_Free_to_Play

EDIT: put points into concentration for combat casting, and boost balance so your not laying on the ground.

Synonym
05-10-2011, 09:56 PM
To be honest, if I can make my cleric less gimped I might just play him until I unlock 32 point before I reroll. It's just that I *think* I intended this toon to be a nuking / healing cleric when I made him, but am finding I don't really like that route. I mostly end up killing w/ my axe, and I've found that when I get swarmed, it would be nice to have the 2H instead of dwarven axe and board.

Synonym
05-11-2011, 08:12 AM
Is there any way to respec your feats like you can your enhancements? I know I'm pretty much stuck with the bad skill choices and stat choices I made early on short of using a heart of wood. And where do I get the low level tomes? Am I only going to find them in the store and the AH? Is there a quest reward or something somewhere?

Pape_27
05-11-2011, 08:48 AM
Looking at the build as it stands, maybe use a lesser heart (if you can get your hands on one) so you can reset your stats.

Str: 16
Dex: 8
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 10

The fighter levels will help, and the dwarven enhancement lines for axes will help overcome some of the deficiencies in your to hit bonuses. That and a liberal use of Divine Favor/Divine Power.

If you havent already used your free feat exchange, talk to Fred as well. Drop Mental Toughness and go for Toughness. That will open up the toughness lines in your enhancements to help bolster up a somewhat weak con for a melee oriented player. You also need to dump combat casting. Its basically a worthless feat.

Reset your enhancements at the trainer. Look and see what the prereqs are for Radiant Servant. Go for the prereqs because soon you will be able to get the Rad Servant Pre. The Burst and Aura are great things to have.

Feats to consider taking enroute: Empower Healing (for the RS Pre), Extend (for DP/DF) & Power Attack

edit: and stop putting skill points in Heal. Its worthless. Pump up your concentration.
_

Synonym
05-11-2011, 09:08 AM
Looking at the build as it stands, maybe use a lesser heart (if you can get your hands on one) so you can reset your stats.

Str: 16
Dex: 8
Con: 14
Int: 8
Wis: 16
Cha: 10

The fighter levels will help, and the dwarven enhancement lines for axes will help overcome some of the deficiencies in your to hit bonuses. That and a liberal use of Divine Favor/Divine Power.

If you havent already used your free feat exchange, talk to Fred as well. Drop Mental Toughness and go for Toughness. That will open up the toughness lines in your enhancements to help bolster up a somewhat weak con for a melee oriented player. You also need to dump combat casting. Its basically a worthless feat.

Reset your enhancements at the trainer. Look and see what the prereqs are for Radiant Servant. Go for the prereqs because soon you will be able to get the Rad Servant Pre. The Burst and Aura are great things to have.

Feats to consider taking enroute: Empower Healing (for the RS Pre), Extend (for DP/DF) & Power Attack

edit: and stop putting skill points in Heal. Its worthless. Pump up your concentration.
_

Thank you! I have not used a free feat exchange. But who is "Fred"?

I don't think I can afford a lesser heart, so I will probably be stuck with my stats as they are. Are STR tomes hard / expensive to come by? Would that be an option?

Lastly, the Heal thing... I have no idea where that came from. I'm guessing when I first started I thought it helped my spells.

I'm going to hit the DDO planner to figure some of this out and then will go in game to look for Fred...

Frotz
05-11-2011, 09:14 AM
Fred's a mind flayer in House J, marked on the map as a trainer, that collects eberron shards and will massage your brain for one. If you complete the Hall of Mark quest in the marketplace you get a free session with Fred. Stat tomes start dropping at around 11th(?) level, and +1 isn't too expensive on the AH depending on the server, just several thousands of plat. :)

somenewnoob
05-11-2011, 09:15 AM
Thank you! I have not used a free feat exchange. But who is "Fred"?

I don't think I can afford a lesser heart, so I will probably be stuck with my stats as they are. Are STR tomes hard / expensive to come by? Would that be an option?

Lastly, the Heal thing... I have no idea where that came from. I'm guessing when I first started I thought it helped my spells.

I'm going to hit the DDO planner to figure some of this out and then will go in game to look for Fred...

Fred is a mindflayer in House Jorasco, he is the one who can change feats.

pal_sch
05-11-2011, 09:19 AM
To be honest, if I can make my cleric less gimped I might just play him until I unlock 32 point before I reroll.That is a long way to go and only possible if you have a fair number of adventure packs already. If you don't have the packs then you either need to buy or grind for TP . I would probably just re-roll before committing to that grind. Otherwise you are going to spend more time and resources fixing or compensating for the character than it would take to regain that first 200 favour (plus gaining an extra 50TP for the favour again).

unbongwah
05-11-2011, 09:43 AM
I hate to tell someone they need to reroll, but...well, you should seriously consider rerolling (or LRing if you've got TPs burning a hole in your pocket). IMHO, you've spread your stats too thin and you chose bad feats; you can swap one feat for free, but beyond that it costs you. Bad choices have a way of making the game much more frustrating the higher you level... <- voice of experience

Have a look at the battle clerics in my sig for what I consider to be the "right" way to go.

Synonym
05-11-2011, 10:17 AM
I hate to tell someone they need to reroll, but...well, you should seriously consider rerolling (or LRing if you've got TPs burning a hole in your pocket). IMHO, you've spread your stats too thin and you chose bad feats; you can swap one feat for free, but beyond that it costs you. Bad choices have a way of making the game much more frustrating the higher you level... <- voice of experience

Have a look at the battle clerics in my sig for what I consider to be the "right" way to go.I had a feeling that was going to be what I should do.

bladepro
05-11-2011, 10:33 AM
If you have enough points just buy veteran status and restart at lvl 4. 200 Favor can be regained in 1 day of playing and getting your stats and feats right is far more important than 200 favor. If you were over 2000 i would say do a lesser reincarnate but at 200 its a waste of points.

Synonym
05-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Thanks for the advice there bladepro, I will look into vet status.

Looking at your Dwarf battlecleric, I have a couple questions unbongwah:

What should I be putting my skill points into? Concentration and balance I assume for sure, but should I get some in tumble or UMD? I'm assuming not but am not positive.

Why Quicken and Maximize as feats? I would have looked at Extend somewhere.

Why Divine Cleansing? I would have looked at Divine Light since it fits Radiant Servant pre-req.

Why the 4 levels of Wand & scroll mastery?

unbongwah
05-11-2011, 10:59 AM
I had a feeling that was going to be what I should do.
I know it sucks having to re-level & re-grind Favor, but I think it will make life easier for you in the long run. On the plus side, you might be able to find someone who will let you pike thru the Korthos & Harbor quests on E to help you earn Favor. I've earned ~400 Favor in a single day and I'm by no means an experienced zerger - I'm sure the experts could've done it in half the time, if not less.

Schmoe
05-11-2011, 01:52 PM
I'm going to also suggest that you want to re-roll. It looks like you want to be a battle-cleric that swings a weapon around*, but your stats really aren't very well suited to that. You really want your strength to be higher, and you can shave points off of dexterity and intelligence to get there. The problem is, you can't re-arrange stats without re-rolling.

Your feat selection is also a big problem. Combat Casting is pretty worthless and would be better replaced with Quicken. Stunning Blow is not very useful without a very high strength and some fighter enhancements to go along with it. Mental Toughness is not totally worthless, but there are better things to choose when you have so few feats to use.

So, even though you can re-spec one feat for free, you'll still need 2,500 platinum and two Imperfect Siberys shards to re-spec the other two at your current level. That can be hard to come by for a new player.

In the end, I think you would end up spending a lot of time trying to "fix" your cleric to be more effective, and in the end you still wouldn't be as effective as you'd like. Not only that, but 5th level is still pretty early in the game. It might sound like a big setback, but re-rolling at 5th level isn't a huge deal. Just think of all the kobolds you get to kill again ;)

* - If I am wrong, and you wanted to have a character focused on being a great caster, then you should really re-roll. The one level of fighter does nothing but hinder your spell-casting, and reincarnation or re-roll is the only way to change that.

Synonym
05-11-2011, 02:12 PM
Thanks again for the replies guys!

I've pretty much decided to reroll. Most of the gear he has is transferable since I don't recall Korthos Isle being around when I started him and honestly don't know when the whole Bind to Character and Account stuff game into the game. Maybe quest rewards were, but I only remember starter gear being that way.

Lastly, I'm still looking for some clarification on my questions above:

Is there a particular "divine" pre-req I should choose when getting Radiant Servant? IE: I was thinking Divine Light, but the other build I saw was Divine Cleansing.

I was also thinking of getting extend, or were there some changes that made something else more effective with Blade Barrier?

Lastly, what is the reason I see people choose wand and scroll mastery? Is it really that good later in my career?

countfitz
05-11-2011, 02:36 PM
I would suggest NOT rerolling til you have 400 favor, just join groups and act like a hireling, healing and keeping people alive. Boring? Yes... but you won't hurt your reputation and it will be easy. Don't do any hard quests if you don't have to, and easy 400 favor.

Then roll a drow, use him/her to get to 1000 favor or even 2500 if you didn't make any mistakes, then you have vet and 32 point. This is how my wifes premium account went. I was lazy and bought 32 point so I could play any race, but I'm lazy like that.

And personally, the two options you picked for the RS prereq are the two I would NEVER pick. I would go DV, which will make you popular and help you PUG more, or DM, which will help you melee if you want. Personally, DV just to keep you popular. (Divine Vitality, btw, which allows you to use turns to increase other's SP, Divine Might gives you a strength boost. The Problem with DM is it isn't very reasonable for a Dwarf with 12 Charisma).

unbongwah
05-11-2011, 02:45 PM
Is there a particular "divine" pre-req I should choose when getting Radiant Servant? IE: I was thinking Divine Light, but the other build I saw was Divine Cleansing.
Your CHA will probably be too low for Divine Might, so that's out. I wouldn't take Divine Light; using your RS bursts is a more efficient way of killing undead, IMHO. Likewise with Divine Healing. Cleansing is OK (bursts don't remove poison or disease IIRC), but it's not like you can't cast spells or wand-whip to fix those. That leaves Divine Vitality as the only semi-useful one. DV would let you replenish SPs of other casters, but not yourself (so it's useless when soloing unless you've got a caster hireling). But using any of those abilities eats into your TUs and therefore your bursts & auras, so you would use them sparingly (if at all).

Really, though, I don't think it matters that much; kinda like the Heal skill enhs, it's the toll you pay to get Radiant Servant, not something that's all that useful on its own.

I was also thinking of getting extend, or were there some changes that made something else more effective with Blade Barrier? Extend no longer affects offensive spells, inc. BB, unfortunately. I still like having it on my casters, if only for short-term buffs, but it's not essential; it's what you take when you run out of better metamagics. :)

Lastly, what is the reason I see people choose wand and scroll mastery? Is it really that good later in my career?Basically the idea is you use Cure wands, Heal scrolls, etc. to save your SPs for offensive spells, big Mass Cures / Heals, etc. Part of being a good cleric is knowing when to use SPs and when to use wands or scrolls.

Sleepsalot
05-11-2011, 02:50 PM
the way I see it favor is gained as a collective of all players not just one... So if you roll a new one all favor is still on the account. So nothing is lost even if you delete this one.
Thanks
Sleeps

kilagan800
05-11-2011, 04:46 PM
I don't know what I can add that hasn't already been said here, but will give it a shot. I have a number of clerics over level 11, two of which have one level of fighter and both are 28 pt. build with supreme +2 tomes.

You can take advantage of your true neutral alignment by getting a stability item for an AC defelction bonus.

If you want to focus on strength and yet heal, you might want to invest in wands and res scrolls to make up for the lack of sp.

Hope this helps.

PurdueDave
05-11-2011, 04:53 PM

Try what you like on enhancements. They're cheap to change and it's better to reach your own opinion on those things.

unbongwah
05-11-2011, 05:19 PM
the way I see it favor is gained as a collective of all players not just one... So if you roll a new one all favor is still on the account. So nothing is lost even if you delete this one.
Sorta - anything you've unlocked via Favor remains unlocked on that server even if you delete the char, IIRC; but it's the highest Favor on a single character which unlocks those options in the first place, not total Favor of all your chars. I.e., 400 Favor on a single char gets you drow; 200 Favor on two separate chars gets you bupkiss (other than earning you TPs). Some people will use a char to earn 400 Favor to unlock drow, then make a drow and use that char to unlock 32-pt builds.

NovaNZ
05-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Go the Dwarf clerics!!

Mate - it's been laid down right nice for u - reroll.

Unbongwah knows this stuff inside out - I totally support his advice.

I used divine light till got RS II then changed my AP's to get Divine Might instead.

Don’t bother with extend (unless u have space for it). max, quicken, PA, Improve crit slash, emp heal etc are gona be much more use if u wanta swing that big ol axe.

Conc and Balance for sure - If u want a third I recommend taking UMD but this is open to valid debate.

Feel free to contact me if I can be of any assistance.

NovaNZ
05-11-2011, 05:59 PM
Ooops

Apologies to Sleepsalot and Synonym - my above post title was directed at Synonym.

This dwarf lass is not as intelligent as she would like to be :p

GL

Synonym
05-11-2011, 06:29 PM
Very nice guys. I appreciate the input and the kind advice. Tonight I will be doing my reroll after I get kids to bed, so if you see a young cleric named Sinonym or Pseudonym or similar on Gallandra, you'll know who the new kid is...

Sleepsalot
05-11-2011, 06:57 PM
LoL never any worries for me I am a new player here so any advise is more then welcome.
Sleeps

Ooops

Apologies to Sleepsalot and Synonym - my above post title was directed at Synonym.

This dwarf lass is not as intelligent as she would like to be :p

GL

Sleepsalot
05-11-2011, 06:58 PM
Thanks for clearing that up..
Sleeps

Sorta - anything you've unlocked via Favor remains unlocked on that server even if you delete the char, IIRC; but it's the highest Favor on a single character which unlocks those options in the first place, not total Favor of all your chars. I.e., 400 Favor on a single char gets you drow; 200 Favor on two separate chars gets you bupkiss (other than earning you TPs). Some people will use a char to earn 400 Favor to unlock drow, then make a drow and use that char to unlock 32-pt builds.

simsiim
05-11-2011, 11:37 PM

just remember to talk to Nyx (I think that was the NPC's name) before deleting your 400 favor character.