PDA

View Full Version : On Wizards and Weapons

hopeisnowhere
05-04-2011, 03:30 PM
I'm pretty new to the game, but I decided to try out a simple multiclass build ... 18/2 Wizard/Rogue
Followed most conventional advice and started my first level as a rogue.

However, I noticed that there are some feats for using more advanced weapons, and I've read that great axes are among some of the best weapons ... is there any reason I shouldn't just pop that feat in, at least for the time being?

GotSomeQuestions
05-04-2011, 03:31 PM
Once you take your first Wizard level, you'll be able to use the spell "Master's Touch" to gain proficiency with Greataxes, or any other martial weapon. You won't need the feat.

Arkadios
05-04-2011, 03:32 PM
I'm pretty new to the game, but I decided to try out a simple multiclass build ... 18/2 Wizard/Rogue
Followed most conventional advice and started my first level as a rogue.

However, I noticed that there are some feats for using more advanced weapons, and I've read that great axes are among some of the best weapons ... is there any reason I shouldn't just pop that feat in, at least for the time being?

Yes use a greataxe, no don't use a feat. This is a good question however if you use the masters touch spell (Level 1 spell) whilst weilding one it will grant you martial proffenciency with it. No need for a feat :).

Gnorbert
05-04-2011, 03:33 PM
Then, once you command phenomenal cosmic power, simply swap out the master's touch spell at any tavern.

hopeisnowhere
05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
oh wow! that is so cool!! Thank you guys very much.

Alexandryte
05-04-2011, 03:34 PM
Dont.

You will not be able to effectively hit things. Just grab a hireling and bust through the first level. You will regret it later if you are forced to change that feat out using the one free feat exchange alloted to you.

Sarisa
05-04-2011, 03:35 PM
Use of a Greataxe at low levels as a caster was the recommended way to play prior to update 9. It's still effective now.

A Wizard, however, has no need for those proficiency feats because they can cast the Master's Touch spell. Equip the Greataxe, cast Master's Touch (targeting yourself), and you will gain proficiency in that particular axe until the next time you shrine.

Be sure when you hit level 2 to take the Master's Touch spell (normally, you wouldn't be able to get it yourself for quite some time due to where it's buyable).