PDA

View Full Version : Daggers and solo?

lordinfamous
05-03-2011, 04:04 PM
I am new to this game and was reading and found some other solo builds that I found interesting that I plan to try, but I was wondering if it would be possible to dual wield daggers and still be able to solo most of the content? if not is would there be a similar build that could achieve the same results with dual wielding and able to solo just fine?

somenewnoob
05-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Probably not as a melee based, but if you're talking caster with some kind of damage boosting dagger in each had maybe.

I just don't know if dagger dps would be good enough to cut it melee.

Dual wielding other weapons is pretty ideal for a melee based build, especially khopeshes (Is that the plural of khopesh? lol Khopeshii?)

dkyle
05-03-2011, 04:08 PM
Why daggers? They're not good weapons. Short swords are strictly better, if you are proficient, and Rapiers are generally even better.

What class are you playing? If it's Rogue, they're not exactly the easiest class to solo, as their DPS relies upon their target having aggro on someone else. There are some tricks you can use, but they do add complications.

But in general, pretty much any build can solo most of the game.

Soloing is easiest when you have self healing: Bard, Cleric, Favored Soul, WF Wizard/Sorc, or Pale Master Wizard. At high level Rogues are self-healing thanks to UMD skill, but it takes a little while to get there.

AcesWylde
05-03-2011, 04:10 PM
you'll be slightly gimped DPS wise, but sure you should be able to solo most low level, and a lot of midlevel content with a hireling, and even some high level content on casual, though it's more fun to group with a friend

Angelus_dead
05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
I am new to this game and was reading and found some other solo builds that I found interesting that I plan to try, but I was wondering if it would be possible to dual wield daggers and still be able to solo most of the content? if not is would there be a similar build that could achieve the same results with dual wielding and able to solo just fine?
Any reasonable character can solo the majority of dungeons on the lower difficult setting, especially if you bring a hireling cleric (which is very affordable with plat).

Daggers are not a good weapon, but they're also not terrible and you can turn out fine with them. Considering upgrading to shortsword, rapier, or (if proficient) kukri, which are similar-looking but better.

For a dual-wielding character you could pick Rogue or Ranger, possibly adding 1 level of Monk for better AC. If not Ranger-based you'll have to specifically select the TWF, ITWF, GTWF feats while advancing (and don't start dual wielding unless several levels along)

AcesWylde
05-03-2011, 04:12 PM
I just don't know if dagger dps would be good enough to cut it melee.

I play a 28pt finesse rog/rgr/ftr that uses kukris alot because they look cool, and I do decent dps, not great, but decent

SolarDawning
05-03-2011, 04:17 PM
I'd like to point out that there is now a min level 14 named dagger with interesting effects, including a base 2d4 damage die. Could be handy for someone who really wants to use daggers.

http://compendium.ddo.com/wiki/Weapon:Polycurse_Dagger

AcesWylde
05-03-2011, 04:21 PM
For a dual-wielding character you could pick Rogue or Ranger, possibly adding 1 level of Monk for better AC. If not Ranger-based you'll have to specifically select the TWF, ITWF, GTWF feats while advancing (and don't start dual wielding unless several levels along)

This. With a single rogue level and a 10 Int, a ranger will be able to max out the needed rogue skills, add a level of monk or fighter for an extra feat and/or AC

ft1/rgr18/rog1 or mnk1/rgr18/rog1 = tempest 3

frt1/rgr6/rog13 or mnk1/rgr6/rog13 = tempest 1/assassin 2

has anyone tried out bluff post U9? that might help with sneak attacks while soloing, or have a summon/hireling draw agro first?

lordinfamous
05-03-2011, 04:37 PM
Right now I am leveling a haggle bard but I really dont have that much time to level in a party while I have done fine soloing up to level 4 I dont see myself being able to much of the content past hard difficulty levels. I think i have built up enough plat to run with a cleric hireling and prolly be able to stock up on some pots if needed. in the end I would just want a melee character that can solo who is not a monk =p. any suggestions would be awesome.

AcesWylde
05-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I would just want a melee character that can solo who is not a monk

1) Fighter

2) Barbarian

3) Paladin

4) Ranger

5) Rogue

6) Bard (if built right)

there you go, pick one

Edit: actually, you can also add

7) Battle Cleric

8) Favored Soul

all of these can effectively melee and solo if built correctly and equipped properly

lordinfamous
05-03-2011, 04:44 PM
would some type of combo between fighter and paladin be decent? or would a third class be thrown in to help this out a bit?

AcesWylde
05-03-2011, 04:49 PM
would some type of combo between fighter and paladin be decent? or would a third class be thrown in to help this out a bit?

yes, and yes

first thing you need to do though, is decide what it is what you want out of it

if you don't know what you're doing, it's best to stay pure

elujin
05-03-2011, 04:52 PM
daggers arn't optimal but its good for a new player becous they should be cheap to buy good ones you will need a good build though :)

lordinfamous
05-03-2011, 04:59 PM
goals:

be able to solo most of the content in the game on elite.
not to worried about being able to decect traps unless it is need in higher levels.
not worried about finding secret doors ect.
dual wield or two hander perfered.
try and use clickies when needed.

this is to get me started making decent money and decent gear for future characters once I learn the game a bit more.

Matuse
05-03-2011, 05:20 PM
I play a 28pt finesse rog/rgr/ftr that uses kukris alot because they look cool, and I do decent dps, not great, but decent

Pfft, kukris are only 1 point per hit worse than scimitars. Considering how much total damage goes into a hit, that's really insignificant.

I love kukris. I just wish they appeared more often as loot. Maybe a (nice) named one someday.

Memek
05-03-2011, 06:12 PM
goals:

Elite solo is rough going on the higher levels. You'd need a specialized build and it isnt needed for your last goal (making money).

not to worried about being able to decect traps unless it is need in higher levels.
Normal and Hard you just run through them.

not worried about finding secret doors ect.
There are clickies for that, everyone is equal.

dual wield or two hander perfered.
Good. Shields suck.

this is to get me started making decent money and decent gear for future characters once I learn the game a bit more.
Healing hirelings (Clerics, Bards or Favoured Souls; FvS are less squishy, Bards can also Haste you and increase your damage) make every choice solo-capable for quite a few levels. You can buy them in the market place.

Daggers are not good weapons but specializing in them wont cripple you either. Your choice.

Making a bit of money to roll a "real" character doesnt sound like a great plan to me - just play the game!

But in any case, healing hirelings are your best bet for cheap healing. Every class that can do non-sneak attack damage should perform well with them.

Fighter, Ranger, Barbarian, Paladin, Bard whatever. A healing hireling will heal you to glory.

If you roll a melee Cleric or FvS you wont need the hireling though. But they dont cost much gold.

However, if you want to aim for elite at high levels, you'd need a real solo build really, unless you want to micro-manage your hireling all that much. Search the forums for those.

yawumpus
05-03-2011, 07:02 PM
Pfft, kukris are only 1 point per hit worse than scimitars. Considering how much total damage goes into a hit, that's really insignificant.

I love kukris. I just wish they appeared more often as loot. Maybe a (nice) named one someday.

Giant hunter's knife isn't good enough for you?

I had to defend this one in the "gimped name loot". My ranger used it to gut his way through sorrowdusk. I think he had his paralyzing kukri in gianthold.

If you can equip one with master's touch, it might be worth making a rad2 kukri. Use a scimitar damage dealer in the other hand and only need imp. crit. slashing (and no OTWF penalties).

Note to OP. Daggers are fine for a rogue (you will lose 1 pt per attack, so I suspect you will switch to short swords). They don't deal a whole lot of damage directly (rogues get bonuses with don't rely on weapon choice). Don't try using daggers with any other class.

simsiim
05-03-2011, 11:01 PM
I don't wanna touch the dagger part of the Topic :o

Which Race do you have in mind or will that not matter ?

well I see you already have a bard, that was one I would suggest

Pure Ranger or the Exploiter Ranger - Those would be some other suggestions I would toss your way. of course I'm also a ranger fan so may be more Favorable Bias towards them.

Was you looking for something other then the Bard to Play ? I would say the Bard, but U9 kinda hurts the Cha Build Bard, but I believe only at the higher levels. I'm not seeing the same effects on my level 8 SS CHA Bard, like I read about in the Spell pass section in the Lamannia Part.

The nice part about going Ranger for TWF, is they automatically get the feats for TWF, you do not need the 17 Dex. they would still get the feats even if your Dex was 8, but you really wouldn't want 8 Dex, was just saying :o
since the ranger gets the Feats for free that frees up points that could be spent on other Attributes like Str ;)
You might want to check out the Rangers. I have as much fun playing the Ranger as I do with the Bard ,
I like the Bard because of his SS ability's , I like my Ranger because he's a Sniper, love that sniper shot when it works, yeah I went with the Deepwoods Sniper, It's my character and I enjoy playing him . But he is also a Blast with his TWF abilities as well.

Just for the record, I would not suggest Deepwoods Sniper PrE. Until DwS II and III comes available, it's more of a Novelty/Flavor PrE , and even then ,till they are seen and tried it is unknown if it'll be of any use other then a Flavor Build

Matuse
05-04-2011, 06:41 AM
Giant hunter's knife isn't good enough for you?

It's ok, but too narrow in focus. On the plus side, it's ridiculously common, so easy to get a pair.

ProdigalGuru
05-04-2011, 06:55 AM
If you want to use daggers, use daggers.

This does not mean you cannot also use other weapons, especially piercing ones.

Rangers, Rogues, Fighters, and Barbarians all have both Simple and Martial Weapons feats.

Use the weapon that is most appropriate for the content you are running.

Your other feats and enhancements will determine what types of weapons you will be more effective with.

If you get so far as to have Improved Critical, or any of the Weapon Specialties, these will affect your weapon choices.

You may even find that a non-optimal weapon becomes optimal in certain situations.

For instance if you have two Paralyzers, but one is a Kukri and the other is a Light Mace.

Paralyzing is much stronger than the loss in DPS.

Also, I can think of 2 other daggers that might be worth some consideration:

Guardian of the Liturgy (+5 Bleeding of Maiming)

Ancient Vulkoorim Dagger (Greater Giant Bane of Giant Slaying)

Angelus_dead
05-04-2011, 10:50 AM
You see confused about what Elite means.

At low levels Elite is +2 rewards +5 difficulty. At high levels Elite is +2 rewards +10 difficulty.

Either way, using Elite mode raises the difficulty of getting the loot much more than it boosts the quality of loot you obtain. So setting things to Elite won't generally help you earn more gear: you'd be better off switching to a dungeon whose Normal mode is higher level, or repeating a chest more times on a lower setting.

lordinfamous
05-04-2011, 06:15 PM
You see confused about what Elite means.

At low levels Elite is +2 rewards +5 difficulty. At high levels Elite is +2 rewards +10 difficulty.

Either way, using Elite mode raises the difficulty of getting the loot much more than it boosts the quality of loot you obtain. So setting things to Elite won't generally help you earn more gear: you'd be better off switching to a dungeon whose Normal mode is higher level, or repeating a chest more times on a lower setting.

Oh i see thanks for the info.

I think am going to stick with bard but I really cant find a thf build that is a pure bard if any builds exsist for 28pts.

simsiim
05-04-2011, 11:10 PM

I think am going to stick with bard but I really cant find a thf build that is a pure bard if any builds exsist for 28pts.

did you look through here Bard The Diva's Bard Love Guide (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=275472)
scroll to post #5 for some links to Bard builds

BUt I think what your looking for is The Classic Rocker [20 Bard Warchanter] (http://forums.ddo.com/showthread.php?t=249865)

tihocan
05-06-2011, 12:59 PM

You can easily convert the one here (http://forums.ddo.com/showpost.php?p=2789906&postcount=6) into pure bard (see the Variants section).

Ashurr
05-07-2011, 02:33 AM
If dual-wielding daggers fits your character concept, go for it - just take a pocket Cleric with you and pray...a lot.