PDA

View Full Version : Some spellcaster questions.

EmeraldArrow
05-01-2011, 09:57 AM
Update nine has made spellcasting loads easier for me so I decided to make my first serious spellcaster. I decided to wait untill I could purchase a WF for a wizard but a drow which is free to me seems to have ideal abilities for a sorcerer.

I'm just currious about some feats. should i get either...

Dodge,
toughness,
a spell focus
or spell penetration?

I honestly have no clue what the difference between spell focus and spell penetration is. If someone would give a new spellcaster some heads up on this kind of stuff that would be great.

besides feats my current spells (since I'm starting at level 4) are:

Ray of enfeeblement,
mage armor,
charm person,
right now I'm trying to debate where I should go with an attacking spell. Should I only use one elemental spell path example: fire. Because sonic blast and magic missile both sound nice. Ir a close range spell like burning/acid spray which may have nice longrange spells down the road.

Is it possible to make a necromancer sorcerer? Someone in game told me no but I wanted to make sure because raising the dead realy sounds cool and all.

Rusty_Can
05-01-2011, 10:21 AM
I decided to wait untill I could purchase a WF for a wizard but a drow which is free to me seems to have ideal abilities for a sorcerer.

Endless threads have addressed this topic :) : Warforged (high hp, self-repairing), human (extra feat) and drow (high CHA, but often considerably "squishier") are all good options.

I'm just currious about some feats. should i get either...

Dodge,
toughness,
a spell focus
or spell penetration?

Dodge: no.
Toughness: yes.
Spell Focus: if I'm not mistaken, Prestige Enhancements require Spell Focus: Evocation or Conjuration.
Spell Penetration: it depends; e.g. if your sorcerer is a "nuker", then you won't probably be casting spells which require Spell Penetration checks.

I honestly have no clue what the difference between spell focus and spell penetration is.

Spell Focus feats help the DC of your spells (10 + spell level + CHA modifier + feats + gear + some other stuff), i.e. how much they are difficult to resist; Spell Penetration feats help you to overcome Spell Resistance of your targets.

Anyway, keep in mind that not every spell requires Spell Penetration checks ("direct damage" spells don't; spell's description will tell you if the spell requires a Spell Penetration check or not) and not all your targets have Spell Resistance.

Is it possible to make a necromancer sorcerer? Someone in game told me no but I wanted to make sure because raising the dead realy sounds cool and all.

If by "necromancer" you mean Pale Master, then the answer is no; Pale Master PrE is available only to wizard class.