PDA

View Full Version : Monk Animal Path after update 9

Zildoran
04-28-2011, 07:43 PM
With the changes to autocrit making crane path nowhere near as useful for generating copious amounts of ki what path did you change to if you did change?

Dasthug
04-28-2011, 07:57 PM
I suppose you could go Tortoise for the concentration and HP, but honestly you should still be critting enough that Crane is still worthwhile.

Myrddinman
04-28-2011, 08:21 PM
I went with Tortoise for the boost to Concentration and +20 HP's. I haven't seen too many problems with my Light Monk...I just have to be careful with spamming Stunning Fist and Quivering Palm.

SensaiRyu
04-29-2011, 07:31 AM
Since I'm trying to get a high Diplo... I'm staying Crane. Base charisma is 8.

Zildoran
04-29-2011, 09:50 AM
The diplo is nice, but at mid level content most mobs don't seem to live long enough for me to crit them much after the update changed helpless. The monk elemental attacks only costing 5 ki each has helped a lot. Since I am usually not tanking I've tried using hound for the extra to hit for now.

I haven't noticed much difference to my ki generation after dropping crane path honestly. With only 19-20 on unarmed with improved critical I'm just not critting enough for it to matter I guess.

Tobril
04-29-2011, 09:52 AM
Crane is pretty weak now.

I'm probably going to go back to monkey or turtle, haven't decided yet.

Feralthyrtiaq
04-29-2011, 10:04 AM
Xhiron Rhex Khyber lvl 20 (1st TR life) Shintao 3, Void 4.

Have never used Crane, Have never had any problems in this life or first life generating ki NO MATTER WHAT the Game CIRCUMSTANCES

AP are tight goin Void4 so only have 2 Tiers of Faithfull Hound in this life. Had all 4 Tiers of Faithfull Hound in my Dark Monk past life.

1st Life in Wind 4 I hit so often that I ALWAYS had either plenty of ki or had to wait 1-2 secs for ToD.

Can't really see how anyone would have problems unless u dumped Con, Wis or Concentration Skill.

This life pre-U9 no issues at all except broken f-n AC in this game. The gear grind people go through to hit mid 90s or higher just seems so meh... why put anything into AC at all when Displacement/Concealment/Incorporeal effects mitigate damage well without DPS sacrifice. But I thats a gripe for a different day.

ANYWHO....

Post U9 did MAC guild shroud run to test the changes and "Play"

So to find out for myself if there is a ki gen problem after update 9 I took off Oremi's Necklace and Levik's Bracers and Put on my Jidz-Tetka Bracers for increase UA dam dice and went into Earth Stance 3.

Stayed in this configuration for the whole shroud.

1) Plenty of Ki in part 1 (No surprise there)

Spammed Portal Attack Sequence = Void 4, Void 3, Earth 3, Earth 2 repeat

2) Solo Tanked and Consquently Killed the Gnoll AND had full Ki BAR at end (Tops out at 300 with ship buffs)

Spammed the Usuall Attack Sequence I use on Harry

Void 4, Shintao Smite Evil (or FoL if Smite on CD), Void 3, Moment of Clarity, Fist of Iron, Earth 3, Fist of Iron, 3x earth finisher (Stirke of Enduring I think) Wind 4. Rinse Repeat

3) Had very poor Ki gen in part 3 (no mobs to fight LOL)

4 and 5) see attack sequence above but throw in an occasional Aligning the Heavens on the Healers

Ended Harry Fight with 2/3 of Full Ki Bar mainly because I interrupted usual sequence to target and throw out some MONK LOVIN to the healers.

Xhiron Rhex has no ki gen issues ever, drops foes with ease and lives to get his robes Drycleaned in Ataraxia ( they really do the best job there)

So if you have Ki Gen issues..SEE BELOW

1) Switch Stance to Fire gen some ki, then back to whatever.

2) Read ddowiki.com about Ki Generation

3) increase your "to hit" more hits = more ki

or

4) Realize you are actually playing a Barbarian in a monks body and should reroll or TR asap.

LOL

myddo ====> Xhiron Rhex. (AC is total f-n rubbish topped out at 69...meh who needs AC when you have Ki)

RobinofSpiritwood
04-29-2011, 06:04 PM
Respecced my First Life Dark pather to Tortise 3 after testing ki gen in Mount Resalyon.
It's no longer possible to Stun Fist every monster and regen the ki with Crane Path (level 3 I had, level 4 might be somewhat better). Generating enough to spam ToD on cooldown every time is also not possible like before, we have to pick and choose when to use it. Level 3 & 4 Stone elemental strikes are unreliable for acid damage without autocrits.

Even without Oremi's, and in only level 2 Fire stance, there was plenty of ki to run Coal Chamber. Rather than spamming plain elemental damage, I opted to cyclically build ki in Fire & then use FoD & Stun primarily. Using a Banishing wrap gave nice continuous Bane damage in place of the elemental spamming.
It's possible to build ki even in Wind stance with the fast rate of hits, just remember to drop in Stealth periodically to keep the baseline topped up between action phases.

Overall, the DPS output was balanced out with intelligent use of easy-to-get gear. The Smite/Disrupt/Banish change basically gives us replacement for continuous ki usage. When respeccing, I stripped some Concentration skill points( replaced by Tortise path) and dropped high levels of Stone Stance, reallocated to Human Constitution, Toughness and Heal Amp. More HP never hurt.

~herbstlich
04-30-2011, 04:43 PM
Since i'm dex\wis build, i found that i don't have enough ki after u9 using Tortoise path, so crane is my choise (with ammount of attacks in ultimate wind stance i have enough crits :p).

Memnir
04-30-2011, 04:54 PM
I haven't played my Monk a lot since U9 hit (having a lot of fun on my Savant), but I'm on the fence between keeping Crane or speccing in Monkey or Turtle.

Honestly dunno yet.

AylinIsAwesome
04-30-2011, 06:04 PM
Full Crane path gives +.4 Ki per hit over normal (against 0% Fort, +.2 per hit at 50% Fort).

I don't know off the top of my head how many hits per minute a Monk gets, but that Ki does add up...

Though I wouldn't argue at all if Turbine increased it from +4 Ki per crit to +8 (or higher), to help balance it out with the lack of auto-crit now.

ProdigalGuru
04-30-2011, 06:18 PM
Monkey or Tortoise.

wax_on_wax_off
04-30-2011, 08:55 PM
It's no longer possible to Stun Fist every monster and regen the ki with Crane Path (level 3 I had, level 4 might be somewhat better).

A monk in wind stance IV will have 3.5245 attacks/second. With .05 missing and .1 generating double Ki that gives 3.5245*1.05*6=22.2 Ki every 6 seconds which is more than enough to stunning fist and work the Ki back (and some left over. If you have Crane II that puts it up to .1 generating quadruple so 3.5245*1.25*6=26.43. Also, this means in a 15 second period you will generate 3.5245*1.25*15=66 Ki which is enough to cycle ToD. Add Crane IV into the mix and you have 3.5245*1.45*15=76 Ki every 15 seconds which is enough for 1 ToD and 1 Stunning Fist (maybe stunning blow to cover the other seconds). Throw Oremi's necklace in and that adds 0.95 for 3.5245*2.40*15=126 which is a lot to spend every 15 seconds :) Fire Stance ... no need.

Full Crane path gives +.4 Ki per hit over normal (against 0% Fort, +.2 per hit at 50% Fort).

I don't know off the top of my head how many hits per minute a Monk gets, but that Ki does add up...

Though I wouldn't argue at all if Turbine increased it from +4 Ki per crit to +8 (or higher), to help balance it out with the lack of auto-crit now.

Are you sure about this? My impression would have been that fortification wouldn't affect the Ki return same as bursting and bodyfeeder and such on-critical procs aren't affected by fortification (afaik).

Zildoran
05-01-2011, 02:00 AM
as a dex/wis halfling monk I don't really have enough aps to take every monk ability I want and still have enough points left over for more than 2 levels into an animal path. I'm going to keep playing with my aps every time I can reset them tho lol. Currently level 15.

AylinIsAwesome
05-01-2011, 02:05 AM
Are you sure about this? My impression would have been that fortification wouldn't affect the Ki return same as bursting and bodyfeeder and such on-critical procs aren't affected by fortification (afaik).

Now that you mention it, not 100% sure... Thought I thought it was only on confirmed crits. Be awesome if it wasn't.

~SyZoRe
05-01-2011, 04:45 AM
I suppose you could go Tortoise for the concentration and HP, but honestly you should still be critting enough that Crane is still worthwhile.
this ^

Sirslapemsack
05-01-2011, 08:54 AM
I would think that with auto crit going away it would be a perfect time to spec in crane. Its going to help generate ki which seems to be in short supply. Once upon a time when running epics id spam ki strikes, stun, dance, and repeat until they were dead. And if a stunned mob hit me, which we know never happens, Id use my healing ki to heal myself for over 150ish. Now i run with a half way full ki bar with oremis and firestance and use it for stuns, dance only.

RobinofSpiritwood
05-01-2011, 02:25 PM
I would think that with auto crit going away it would be a perfect time to spec in crane. Its going to help generate ki which seems to be in short supply. .

Ki's short supply due to no autocrits ONLY applies to people using Crane from before.
If you had no problems before, without Crane, why bother to make a switchover?

Feralthyrtiaq
05-10-2011, 10:01 AM
ki's Short Supply Due To No Autocrits Only Applies To People Using Crane From Before.
If You Had No Problems Before, Without Crane, Why Bother To Make A Switchover?

+1

Joseph
05-10-2011, 10:44 AM
It has been my experience that the Monkey path is the best one out there. The elemental resists stack with everything, which is a huge, huge benefit (even crit acid arrows and such won't punch your DR when you have an elemental resit item equipped, as an example).

Just my personal preference. You get all of those resists for such a small amount of AP (try taking all of those on a barb or a ranger).

Therigar
05-10-2011, 10:50 AM
I'm with those who have never used Crane and have no Ki problems.

FWIW I'm also in the Wind Stance only crowd. I find that all the jumping from stance to stance and searching for optimal attack and finisher chains just isn't needed on any content up to and including Amarath quests.

Saaluta
05-10-2011, 10:57 AM
I have gone turtle path on both my monk builds and staying in fire stance always seem to generate lots of ki...although I mostly have to solo atm due to crappy computer that lags out constantly :( And the fact that I'm mostly doing favor runs atm to build up my TP(although computer and TP issues *MIGHT* change in June)

Hoping to be back running with the big kids then...but just my 2 cp on the ki gen/animal path issue.

Saal :)