PDA

View Full Version : Remove deconstruction ingredients: Minor tweak for major convenience

Chette
04-28-2011, 10:43 AM
I would like to suggest that you remove the 4 ingredients that you need to buy in order to do crafting deconstruction (enhancements, prefix, suffix, and making a blank).

Instead of having to add one of these four ingredients to the deconstruction altar to deconstruct an item, I suggest that there should be four buttons on the screen (as opposed to the 1 "deconstruct" button). When a weapon/armor/item is placed in the device, whichever of the four options are available for that item shall light up/become active, and the user clicks whichever button for whichever process they wish to perform.

My reasoning for this is as follows:

The deconstruction materials are very cheap. This isn't a suggestion in order to reduce the cost of deconstruction, but rather to increase convenience. If you are worried about the cost then simply apply a small nominal "fee" for using the deconstruction device, 5 pp or something like that, similar to buying a deconstruction material. There doesn't seem to be any reason for adding the deconstruction materials other than to tell the device what to do. Adding 4 buttons to the device and simply selecting the appropriate one would be perform the same tool and save the user the inconvenience of having to find the materials in their bag and put them in the device.

But Cheara you say, it takes 2 seconds to find the materials and put them in the device. Yes, it probably does. But I imagine that for a frequent player like myself who wishes to participate in crafting, they may deconstruct over a thousand items in a week.

I keep everything in my inventory that is useful locked down, meaning that everything that is not locked down is junk that I will either deconstruct and sell. If I can simply leave my inventory open and sorted to show only unlocked items, and pull each item to the device, click the button, lather/rinse/repeat, I can probably deconstruct an item every 2-3 seconds. If I have to put the item in the device, then see what material is needed, then switch to the tab with my materials in it, put one in the altar, deconstruct, and then switch back to the tab with my items, it takes significantly longer. Yes, only a few extra seconds, but that effectively doubles the amount of time that deconstruction takes.

I spent a good 20 minutes deconstructing last night, probably longer (I did it in two sessions, I forget how long the first one took) after only a casual leveling session. Removing the deconstruction ingredients could easily cut that time in half with essentially no change to the process. I would ask the developers to consider this as they work further on the system.

Overall I am excited about crafting. I want to participate in this new and powerful system you've created for us. But it's also clear to me that there will be a LOT of tedious deconstruction/crafting required in order to be able to craft useful items. Please consider making this grind as smooth as possible for us :)

dozkal-mo
04-28-2011, 10:47 AM
/signed

The fee per use seems a very reasonable alternative to this; I've got enough items inventory already, not including all the vendor trash I'm deconstructing and the essences that don't fit in my bags.

Fixitosis
04-28-2011, 10:48 AM
You put the item in to be deconstructed and if the decunstruct inng. is in your pack and not your collectables bag when you click on the recipe it will auto fill in the ingr. needed. I think it works just fine.

Item in, click, click, repeat. :)

Fixitosis
04-28-2011, 10:50 AM
What would make it better is if it would retrieve the crafting ingr from the ingr. bag itself.

Chette
04-28-2011, 10:52 AM
You put the item in to be deconstructed and if the decunstruct inng. is in your pack and not your collectables bag when you click on the recipe it will auto fill in the ingr. needed. I think it works just fine.

Item in, click, click, repeat. :)

I was not aware of this. If that's the case then this seems a reasonable alternative.
Yes indeed, removing it from an ingredients bag would be helpful, but this is much much better than having to put the ingredient in the device.

Thank you very much for the information!

patang01
04-28-2011, 10:55 AM
Or just one material with a average cost of what buying 1 of each would cost you.

I don't see a need for 4 different materials unless they're also used to help identify the choices you're making.

dkyle
/signed

I hate pulling stuff out of bags. If not remove the decon ingredients, pull them out automatically.

Actually, if they put that tech in, and apply to Shard crafting as well, that would be great too.

In fact, I'd rather have the decon ingredients remain with automatic pulling out for all ingredients, than remove the decon ingredients and not implement automatic pull out.

Also, double clicking ingredients in a bag should move them from bag to inventory.

Or just one material with a average cost of what buying 1 of each would cost you.

I don't see a need for 4 different materials unless they're also used to help identify the choices you're making.

My guess is that they started designing the system with the old-style altars in mind, where the choice of ingredients solely determine what the product of the crafting is. With the new system, though, special ingredients to flag what you want to do are redundant. We can just select it from a list.

somenewnoob
Even if it was intended as a plat sink I'd much rather have them take the plat right out instead of have items. Just one more way to make it waste too much time.

Anthios888
04-28-2011, 10:56 AM
Good suggestion, Cheara. In my experience, it doesn't automatically gather items for deconstruction, only for recipes. I had to choose whether to grab a prefix or suffix or whatever. I would really prefer to put the weapon in and then choose whether I want suffix or prefix, so I can pick the better effect and not have to develop carpel tunnel syndrome dragging hundreds of things over to the crafting window.

It's a nice idea, but the functionality is tedious for players who have to click and drag too much in what is essentially downtime/nonproductive time anyway.

dkyle
04-28-2011, 11:00 AM
Good suggestion, Cheara. In my experience, it doesn't automatically gather items for deconstruction, only for recipes. I had to choose whether to grab a prefix or suffix or whatever. I would really prefer to put the weapon in and then choose whether I want suffix or prefix, so I can pick the better effect and not have to develop carpel tunnel syndrome dragging hundreds of things over to the crafting window.

Huh... it was working for me. I never dragged those solvents to the window. Just put them in my inventory, dragged in the item, selected which part to deconstruct, and the solvent went right in automatically.

bryanmeerkat
04-28-2011, 11:04 AM

It's a nice idea, but the functionality is tedious for players who have to click and drag too much in what is essentially downtime/nonproductive time anyway.

Umm if you put the item in you want to deconstruct , it will bring up a list of available deconstructions , double click which you want to choose and it will do the rest for you .

zed1
04-28-2011, 03:00 PM
I would actually go a step further. There should really just be two choices: 1) make a blank, 2) extract all materials from +, prefix, suffix.

Keep the dust of disjunction... if it is present a blank is created, otherwise extract all ingredients. If you remove the step where you choose what you are extracting, you can streamline the process further by allowing multiple items in the device at once.

I would also argue that you should be able to drop some of the useless shards into the deconstruction device. As it stands now, you need to put them on a blank, and extract them with a deconstruction ingredient... adding two steps to the process.

Cyr
04-28-2011, 03:01 PM
What zed1 said. Simpler, more logical from a cost/benefit standpoint, and faster to use.

Bradik_Losdar
04-28-2011, 06:57 PM
I would like to suggest that you remove the 4 ingredients that you need to buy in order to do crafting deconstruction (enhancements, prefix, suffix, and making a blank).

Instead of having to add one of these four ingredients to the deconstruction altar to deconstruct an item, I suggest that there should be four buttons on the screen (as opposed to the 1 "deconstruct" button). When a weapon/armor/item is placed in the device, whichever of the four options are available for that item shall light up/become active, and the user clicks whichever button for whichever process they wish to perform.

My reasoning for this is as follows:

The deconstruction materials are very cheap. This isn't a suggestion in order to reduce the cost of deconstruction, but rather to increase convenience. If you are worried about the cost then simply apply a small nominal "fee" for using the deconstruction device, 5 pp or something like that, similar to buying a deconstruction material. There doesn't seem to be any reason for adding the deconstruction materials other than to tell the device what to do. Adding 4 buttons to the device and simply selecting the appropriate one would be perform the same tool and save the user the inconvenience of having to find the materials in their bag and put them in the device.

But Cheara you say, it takes 2 seconds to find the materials and put them in the device. Yes, it probably does. But I imagine that for a frequent player like myself who wishes to participate in crafting, they may deconstruct over a thousand items in a week.

I keep everything in my inventory that is useful locked down, meaning that everything that is not locked down is junk that I will either deconstruct and sell. If I can simply leave my inventory open and sorted to show only unlocked items, and pull each item to the device, click the button, lather/rinse/repeat, I can probably deconstruct an item every 2-3 seconds. If I have to put the item in the device, then see what material is needed, then switch to the tab with my materials in it, put one in the altar, deconstruct, and then switch back to the tab with my items, it takes significantly longer. Yes, only a few extra seconds, but that effectively doubles the amount of time that deconstruction takes.

I spent a good 20 minutes deconstructing last night, probably longer (I did it in two sessions, I forget how long the first one took) after only a casual leveling session. Removing the deconstruction ingredients could easily cut that time in half with essentially no change to the process. I would ask the developers to consider this as they work further on the system.

Overall I am excited about crafting. I want to participate in this new and powerful system you've created for us. But it's also clear to me that there will be a LOT of tedious deconstruction/crafting required in order to be able to craft useful items. Please consider making this grind as smooth as possible for us :)

/totally agreed

lorenpechtel
05-15-2011, 08:48 PM
A good idea. Making us fiddle needlessly with the equipment doesn't add anything to the game.