PDA

View Full Version : New Player finds a Bloodstone. What can be done?

jbleargh
04-27-2011, 10:45 AM
Hello all,

Last night I found a Bloodstone (don't know how many runs I made... I killed +/- 1600 undead in the sands).

Now I don't know if I should sell it.

I've being playing since last january. My highest level is a Drow TWF Ranger/Rogue 12/1 and recently I made a Drow THF Paladin/Fighter, currently 5/1.

Neither have much cash... enough to buy wands, hirelings and a weapon or two at house of D... Most of my equipment came from chests.

The ranger/rogue has a +3 icy burst rapier of Righteouness, a +2 bodyfeeder shortsword of Righteouness (traded for ancient copper tokiens), a robe of heavy fortification and the red fens' sets for strenght, constitution, search and spot, balance and jump)

The paladin/fighter was made to use the nice things that ranger finds and cannot use.

AFAIK game money is not a problem for veteran players. (I've seem some threads about inflation and ways to take plat out the game... monetarism is not the solution IMHO ;)

Questions:

1 - Would lots of plat make a significant difference for a poor mid level noob like me?

2 - Is it ethical? A burst of luck like that changing radically the life of my toons seems a bit "artificial" to me.

3 - My first learning fixed path toon pulled a ring of feather fall from STK... I am lucky apparently... I am still using it, but it's got a lot of permanent damage now... don't know how long it will last.

If I decide to keep the bloodstone. Should I bind it to prevent permanent damage?

4 - At which level the bloodstone is more useful? Should I save it for newer and better build?

Thanks in advance. English is not my native language, sorry for the poor grammar.

Cogito ergo doleo

[]'s

Fejj
04-27-2011, 11:04 AM
If I pulled one (a Bloodstone) when I was new, I would have sold it. A cool Million plat would have been real nice.

Then after I learned that plat is SO easy to get (on a capped toon), I would have regretted it.

Therefore, I say keep it, unless you really have a hard time keeping plat. Once you start running Shroud, you will pull in 20K plat a run worth of vendor trash, and 100+K in ingredients. Just hang in there a few more levels.

I would not bind it .... but I play lots of alts. If your a one toon type of player, then sure bind away.

OH, and congrats!!!

EDIT - All plat is good for to me, is consumables. Heal scrolls, Haste pots, many other pots, Teleport scrolls. Also decking out new characters. If you like to run LOTS of different characters, and want to keep then rolling in the best gear every level, then yes, plat is better then Bloodstone.

tihocan
04-27-2011, 11:06 AM
My advice is... keep it, you'll use it.
Sure, you could get some money and twink your characters. But in the longer term, those twink items won't do you much good, while you'd still be using that bloodstone.
Don't bind it though. It doesn't take too much damage, so keep your options open, at least for a while.
Sell your Ring of Feathers though before it's too late! Those sell for absurd prices (around 100k pp) given the benefit they give, and how easy they are to farm.

Dragaer
04-27-2011, 11:07 AM
Keep it. I've only ever pulled one - had to buy the others. What server are you on? Shoot me a tell if you are on Thelanis and I'll give you some plat to buy some consumables.

KEEP IT! (or if you really really really want to give it up, give it to me ;) )

FlyingTurtle
04-27-2011, 11:17 AM
1 - Would lots of plat make a significant difference for a poor mid level noob like me?

No. Most of the best stuff in life, money can't buy.... because it's BTC or BTA. Your basic weapons and gear should only be in the 5 figures at most, which will do you fine until you start hauling in the cash about 4 levels from now.

My feeling is that most people selling bloodstones are doing that because they have no use for it, not because they really need the plat.

2 - Is it ethical? A burst of luck like that changing radically the life of my toons seems a bit "artificial" to me.

Yes.

3 - My first learning fixed path toon pulled a ring of feather fall from STK... I am lucky apparently... I am still using it, but it's got a lot of permanent damage now... don't know how long it will last.

If I decide to keep the bloodstone. Should I bind it to prevent permanent damage?

Unlike the other players I tend to reflexively bind anything I get.... but this is probably because all my alts are on different servers (most people play multiple alts on the same server and can thus trade items).

4 - At which level the bloodstone is more useful? Should I save it for newer and better build?

Useful all the way to 20 and beyond.

HGM-Chi
04-27-2011, 11:18 AM
I pulled one when I was a newish player as well, and sold it. The only character I had at the time was my cleric and I had no doubt the plat would be more useful. I've pulled two more since, and still wish I had kept that first one as well.

If you're on Sarlona I'll send you some plat if you don't sell it. I'd offer to buy it off you but I really cannot afford what it is worth in terms of plat, and I doubt very much that you would be interested in FRDS or large ingreds.

nordlav
04-27-2011, 11:49 AM
My advice would be to keep it. I found until I hit around lvl 10, I always had a struggle with not enough plat. Around lvl 10 and assuming you have access to packs such as Sands and Necro IV, you can farm the slayer areas for loot and collectibles which you can auction off. Even free areas such as Axtaria's Haven drops Fragrant Drowshood which sell well on the AH.
There is an argument that if you hold a rare item for the future, there is a chance that future game updates will reduce the value of the rare item in time. Bloodstone is a good example because many people were able to craft a similar item (seeker hat) during the recent birthday event (Crystal Cove). Imho bloodstones are not as valuable as they were pre B-Day event.
So maybe the best advice is Just try and pull a second one and sell the extram ;)

Memnir
04-27-2011, 11:50 AM
Keep it.
Plat is easy to come by - Bloodstones are not.

Gkar
04-27-2011, 11:52 AM
Keep it, you may never pull another.

Don't bind it, there is a good chance that you will want to move it to another character eventually.

Caine33
04-27-2011, 11:55 AM
Keep it.

^ This

In 5 years I've ransacked those chests numerous times to no avail, and finally broke down and bought my 1 and only Blood Stone.

sheepface
04-27-2011, 11:58 AM
Keep it.

danotmano1998
04-27-2011, 11:58 AM
It would be hard to find another item in game that not only adds a potential +8 to your critical hit confirmations, but +8 damage when you do!!
(When upgraded to the epic version. Not that +6 is anything to sneer at)

That's a keeper.

WhiskeyWarrior
04-27-2011, 11:59 AM
Keep it, it's one of the best/rarest non-raid items you can get

dunklezhan
04-27-2011, 12:03 PM
If you're on argo, you should send it to me. Its worthless, you know, but I'll give you a few copper for it, just to help a newbie out :rolleyes:

Keep it. Roll an alt specifically for it if you must, but keep it, and whichever character gets it needs to bind it pronto and ideally get an adamantine ritual on it in the stone of change cos those things are fragile. Binding it stops the perma-damage building up, and the adamantine ritual helps it not break mid quest. Every quest.

Pape_27
04-27-2011, 12:09 PM
Therefore, I say keep it,

My advice is... keep it, you'll use it.

Keep it.

My advice would be to keep it.

Keep it.

Keep it, you may never pull another.

Keep it.

That's a keeper.

Keep it, it's one of the best/rarest non-raid items you can get

This ^^

_

aristarchus1000
04-27-2011, 12:10 PM
Agree with others in this thread, I'd keep it.

You are just getting past the levels where plat is tough, but starting in Gianthold or so you start to get useful items that are easy to auction (I'm talking about random stuff, like striding boots or weapons of pure good) so money starts to come much easier.

Once you get to vale, it gets a lot easier. Even slayer can net you a decent amount of cash in vendor trash.

zorander6
04-27-2011, 12:51 PM
Keep it and sell a second or third one if you find them. I got lucky and pulled on the first time I ran Sands. Have not seen one since. Almost a year ago I think.

Khimberlhyte
04-27-2011, 12:53 PM
I'd recommend that you keep it, especially since you run melee characters. At level 13 on your first character, you are just reaching the point where you will soon stop worrying about plat, and you will stop feeling poor. The value of vendor trash starts going up, as does the probability of looting something valuable.

There are many good threads on the forums discussing how to generate platinum. Since you're running the desert, try turning in 75 bronze tokens for jewelry or clothing (I find the weapons are junk). I routinely get +3 stat items, and I've gotten +4 stat items that are race restricted, which often sell for a tidy sum. There is also a good market for bronze tokens, a few nights ago, I saw a bunch of plat offered for tokens on a marketplace trade channel.

I've found that my characters equip more Bound to Account (BtA) or Bound to Character gear with every event and new adventure pack. Your Red Fens sets are proof of that - they're great gear for levels 7-12 for untwinked characters. Apart from rare items like the Bloodstone, I see less room for unbound loot on even my lowbie characters, and don't spend much time on the auction house.

If you stay away from the AH and are willing to live with gear that is second best (like a ML 13 orgre power bracers of sustenance for +5 str instead of a clean pair of +6 str), you'll soon have more plat than you need.

dunklezhan
04-27-2011, 12:57 PM
Keep it and sell a second or third one if you find them. I got lucky and pulled on the first time I ran Sands. Have not seen one since. Almost a year ago I think.

you sir, are not allowed to post here anymore. Go on, get!

:D

Narmolanya
04-27-2011, 01:00 PM
Keep it, in four years of playing I have ransacked on lots of characters and many servers never yet to have pulled one. You may never pull another one. :cool:

Thaxlsillyia
04-27-2011, 01:11 PM
Hello all,

Last night I found a Bloodstone (don't know how many runs I made... I killed +/- 1600 undead in the sands).

Now I don't know if I should sell it.

I've being playing since last january. My highest level is a Drow TWF Ranger/Rogue 12/1 and recently I made a Drow THF Paladin/Fighter, currently 5/1.

Questions:

[]'s

Blood stone is very useful in the trinklet slot for any melee character. Both your ranger and paladin will find it very useful. Keep it. The only thing that could replace the blood stone from the trinklet slot for me will be an epic blood stone :)

As for plats you have reached a lvl with your first toon where gear upgrades will not be needed as often. By 15 you will have a relatively stable gear set till you reach 18+ lvls and your bank balance will improve dramatically. If you pick some decent gear which will not be useful for you but is potentially good for others do not hesitate to sell it in the trade channels (stuff like holy/acid dorf axe/khopesh of maiming etc sell well). it might not get you tons of cash but atleast you will get more than selling it to vendors.

Thebeest
04-27-2011, 01:13 PM
I have had a similar experience, I have one main toon that recently reached level 20 (few weeks ago) and he is my first. In his levelling up time i would run sands in between quests and have all the paths memorized for all the loot chests. i have been fortunate to have pulled 3 bloodstones (The Blood Stone now I guess). So, I rolled a FVS melee who has one and uses it when he is allowed to melee and not heal. So then there is the 3rd, I have no plan to do a new toon, and if i do, it will probably be a caster. So, same problem, sell or keep it, in case? for now keeping it, however am wanting vale ingredients pretty bad (funk, pebbles) and would possibly trade it for some of those. anyways, nice pull, this is a good problem to have :)

KongColeus
04-27-2011, 01:18 PM
u went in to the desert to slay? But you had no plan on what to with a Bloodstone, Ring of Spell Storing, Firestorm Greaves, Duskheart, etc. if you pulled one?

I would KEEP it. When you roll up a crit rolling fighter type, you will be glad you have it. Especially if you are using weapons that are crit range of 18-20, you will really enjoy it.

And since they changed the graphic on it so it looks like a bloodstone(a stone heart?) and not a dusk heart or an ioun stone, it is even easier to know what you got.

fsupps
04-27-2011, 01:38 PM
I was in the same situation so i sold mine and not a day goes by that i don't regret the decision. Now i run every chance i get for another one and after 9000 +/- undead kills on 3 toon's, still no bloodstone. My vote is for keeping it.

jbleargh
04-27-2011, 03:16 PM
Obviously, I will keep it... Vox populi. Vox Dei.

Probably will keep it in the bank until I m confident that I made a viable endgame character. Then I will bind it.

KongColeus - I went to the desert to explore it. To learn where the quests are and try then on normal with a hireling.

The first time I got there the ranger/rogue was in level 10 and got killed 50% of the time by one the rares or even normal mobs. I was in no condition to join a quest group.

I was falling bellow the curve. I felt the need to get better gear.

There's a lot of talk around the foruns about Vorpals and Banishers, but not much about mid-level gear...

So I decided to colect the Ancient Tokens to know what are considered "exceptional" weapon, clothing, etc. (for me was the bodyfeeder shortsword and boots with dexterity and something else)

Meanwhile I saw this youtube video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CL6N5ordSpQ

... showing the bloodstone loot run and I got the habit of visiting Palumak, the thirsty one, general tanasomething, the air elemental and the other potencial chest nearby every time I entered the desert. It was a challenge and a standard to achieve.

After the Red Fens Strengh and Constitution set and getting into level 11 things got easier and I was not afraid of mummies anymore... but habit persisted.

Yesterday, I was going to try "Offering of Blood" when I got the gift from the thirsty one.

Thx again for the advices and generous offers

Cogito ergo doleo

[]s

Thebeest
04-27-2011, 03:22 PM
The thirsty one? i hardly ever see him and he never gives anything when he does appear. all 3 i got is from palumak, the first chest you go to, he seems to spawn majority of the time for me, like 2/3 guessing. good to know thirsty still puts out for some though.