PDA

View Full Version : So I was thinking about TRing my Rogue a second time... but...

Velexia
04-25-2011, 05:10 PM
I was interested in TRing my Rogue again, and imagining how much fun I would have kicking butt through all of the low level stuff... and then I looked at the tomes I had used on the character... +2 strength, +3 dexterity, +2 constitution, +2 intelligence, +1 charisma...

Oh, nevermind then... =/

Impaqt
04-25-2011, 05:29 PM
If obtaining +1 and +2 tomes is a reason to not reincarnate, your shouldnt. Even +3 tomes arent really that hard to get anymore.

Velexia
04-26-2011, 02:18 AM
For a semi-casual gamer like myself, the only +3 tomes I ever come across are from 20th completion shrouds... and I don't run shroud very often... so yes, they are a big deal to me. The fact that tomes are lost upon TRing is stupid.

It doesn't matter if it's a +1 Tome or a +4 Tome. It's stupid.

Imagine the people going for completionist... when they finally reach it and nom all of the +3/4 tomes they have collected, they are screwed the minute a new class comes out.

So forgive me for thinking this should be changed.

The whole idea of the Tome doesn't even make sense with this. They are books that contain specific knowledge which enhances your abilities after you have read them. The idea that a tome vanishes after being read is bizarre. They are books. Once you have read them, you gain insight from them. If you lose that insight... reread the book.

Absolute-Omniscience
04-26-2011, 02:21 AM
/agreed.
It's idiotic and very counter productive to remove tomes on TR, and it contributes to loot hording and poor gameplay.

sirgog
04-26-2011, 02:33 AM
If obtaining +1 and +2 tomes is a reason to not reincarnate, your shouldnt. Even +3 tomes arent really that hard to get anymore.

+3 tomes are not at all easy to acquire. If you want a specific one (say +3 Dex), there is no raid you can run with a better than 1 in 400 chance to have that tome drop under your name, and even for 20th rewards, only Shroud offers a 20% or better chance to see it.

My main has never had a +3 or +4 Strength tome drop, or seen one offered as an end reward.

+2s, OTOH - you'll loot pretty much a full set relevelling, they aren't rare. Ransack the Inspired Quarter on Normal if you are desperate.

BrightAsh
04-26-2011, 02:38 AM
semi agreed

+2 tomes are really not the problem. I have a TR'd rogue and Cleric and if you only run shroud 20 times before TR-ing you should get enough resources/plat to just buy the +2 tomes of the AH.

Still if you plucked a +4 tome somewhere, that you can use on level 19? (dunno) high level anywayz, and want to TR again someday, that +4 stat just gets lost. +4 tomes are fairly hard to come by. Also +3 tomes require some sort of hard work. Which is not a problem, but imo it is kind of strange that you TR, gain a past life feat (thus remember/learn from past life experiences) but lose other learned stuff (you learn from the book).

Totally disagree on the whole "a book should not be consumed" thing. That would just be insane. Pass one tome around the entire server and +2 on stats for everyone for free. It is not realistic... but he... Dragon's in a extra planar dwarven vault is not realistic as well...

Velexia
04-26-2011, 03:11 AM
Pass one tome around the entire server and +2 on stats for everyone for free. It is not realistic... but he... Dragon's in a extra planar dwarven vault is not realistic as well...

...and that's why "Bound to Character upon reading" would be a wonderful solution.

sirgog
04-26-2011, 03:42 AM
...and that's why "Bound to Character upon reading" would be a wonderful solution.

Personally I'd rather that unbound tomes stay as they are currently, and bound tomes (such as the +2 tome for 1750 favor, or raidloot tomes) become indestructible.

That would really make the BtA +3 tomes in epic DQ2 sought after...

Krag
04-26-2011, 05:16 AM
/agreed.
It's idiotic and very counter productive to remove tomes on TR, and it contributes to loot hording and poor gameplay.

/signed
Taking away hard-earned tomes is cruel and serves no real purpose other than aggravating players.

AMDarkwolf
04-26-2011, 05:26 AM
Really should work like when you LR.

Your toon is 'tagged' as having read a +4.

So when hes level 3, he gets a +1.

At lv 7, gains +2,
At 11, gains +3,

and so on. Just make the server 'tag' each stat with the highest + tome you have read. Done...

To fix the fact that u will no longer need tomes, make ALL tomes drop slightly less often(but slightly higher chance for +3s on 20th runs) this way the +1 and 2's still have value(Since they would be a tad more rare) but 3's and 4's won't be 'wasted' when you tr.

(The only reason I can see them NOT wanting to do this is, I predict, someday +3s and +4s will show up in the DDO store)

Velexia
04-26-2011, 11:16 AM
They would've made 14 bucks off of me last night when I would've TR'd my Rogue, but without the resources to waste on a bunch of +2s and a +3 tome, I'd really only end up with less stat points, so there's no point.